February 17, 2019, 01:28:39 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Ramsey under fire for Cass endorsement  (Read 5018 times)

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Ramsey under fire for Cass endorsement
« on: November 20, 2017, 10:15:58 PM »
Someone linked to the Korean ad for Cass before and now the Guardian agrees. Personally I don't have any faith in Ramsey's on screen judgement. In the episodes of Hotel Hell I've been watching recently he keeps going down the rather childish 'it looks like vomit/faeces/ some other disgusting substance route, which is not really saying anything. The best French sauces in the world might have a physical resemblance to vomit, so what? Is every chocolate product going to be likened to shit? A sausage looks like a penis, tee Hee. All the food he comments on is either over-cooked/ under cooked or looks crap, he never seems to get down to the details.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/20/enjoy-responsibly-gordon-ramsay-under-fire-for-korean-beer-ad

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
Re: Ramsey under fire for Cass endorsement
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:18:36 AM »
The only person I could respect endorsing Cass is Dave Chapelle. This should be a career ending endorsement.

Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline propudge

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:37:46 AM »
His routine has gotten old

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 07:32:22 AM »
Anyone criticising Ramsay about this is a bloody hypocrite. As if you lot wouldnt sell out to Cass first chance you got. Jog on with the nonsense.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 08:09:06 AM »
I'm not a drinker, but I think it's safe to say his endorsement won't change a thing.

Case and Hite would still be the drink of choice in Korea for a million reasons other than Gordon Ramsey.
I've never seen a can of Case or Hite outside Asia and judging by what most of you are saying, the off chance it does make it's
way to the West, it'll be spat out. For the most part Westerner's aren't really affected by celebrity endorsements anymore, at least in comparison to Asia.

It'll be about as effective as Korean companies previous attempts at breaking into the Western market:

Offline chrisinkorea2011

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 08:16:08 AM »
Anyone criticising Ramsay about this is a bloody hypocrite. As if you lot wouldnt sell out to Cass first chance you got. Jog on with the nonsense.

Oh I would in a heart beat if the price was right!

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 08:20:06 AM »
I'm not a drinker, but I think it's safe to say his endorsement won't change a thing.

Case and Hite would still be the drink of choice in Korea for a million reasons other than Gordon Ramsey.
I've never seen a can of Case or Hite outside Asia and judging by what most of you are saying, the off chance it does make it's
way to the West, it'll be spat out. For the most part Westerner's aren't really affected by celebrity endorsements anymore, at least in comparison to Asia.

It'll be about as effective as Korean companies previous attempts at breaking into the Western market:

Korean ads...making delicious food look as unappetizing as possible.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 08:20:41 AM »

That's a ridiculous thing to say and quite obviously self-projection. Ramsay makes around 60 million dollars a year, how much do you think he got for the Cass ad? A million? So that's be like you getting offered one sixtieth of your salary to appear on TV around 40,000 won and tell everyone how wonderful the Middle School English book is. I wouldn't do that, and nor would a lot of other celebrities who also don't endorse crappy products

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 08:23:56 AM »

Ramsay would probably say that bowl of Makoli looks like a bowl of semen and dismiss it out of hand. Unless he was getting paid

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 08:29:46 AM »

That's a ridiculous thing to say and quite obviously self-projection. Ramsay makes around 60 million dollars a year, how much do you think he got for the Cass ad? A million? So that's be like you getting offered one sixtieth of your salary to appear on TV around 40,000 won and tell everyone how wonderful the Middle School English book is. I wouldn't do that, and nor would a lot of other celebrities who also don't endorse crappy products

Absolute bollocks and you know it. Doesn't matter how much he earns. There is a difference between 40,000 and a million. Additionally he is promoting his brand out here.

Offline chrisinkorea2011

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »

Ramsay would probably say that bowl of Makoli looks like a bowl of semen and dismiss it out of hand. Unless he was getting paid

To be fair, I have always hated the stuff because of the bland taste so Ramsey saying that wouldnt be far from the truth!

Also, I know that the most consumed alcoholic drink in the world is soju which can be made from rice, wheat, or barley so why dont that advertise that this way? haha

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 08:34:26 AM »
Warning: Clip contains salty language that is best enjoyed with a very, very, very cold "malt" beverage.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »

Absolute bollocks and you know it. Doesn't matter how much he earns. There is a difference between 40,000 and a million. Additionally he is promoting his brand out here.

Actually it'd be about 400,000 my maths was out, but I still wouldn't do it. Yes the difference is a lot but on the other hand you could point out you or I might need 400,000 won more than Ramsay needs a million dollars. The fact is a lot, if not most celebrities, don't advertise crappy products. So in other words, would I advertise Cass for a million dollars? Yes. Would I advertise Cass if I got 400,000won or if I was Gordon Ramsay for a million dollars, no.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:40:16 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 08:36:31 AM »

The hell? Why did they make these adverts so dry? I get they were probably trying to play up the "eastern-ness" of their food and drink what with the traditional clothes and whatnot, but by the blood of the virgin Mary the colorscheme and text font look suitable for a mental ward whose patients will involuntarily shit themselves if they view anything remotely exciting.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 08:43:44 AM »

Actually it'd be about 400,000 my maths was out, but I still wouldn't do it. Yes the difference is a lot but on the other hand you could point out you or I might need 400,000 won more than Ramsay needs a million dollars. The fact is a lot, if not most celebrities, don't advertise crappy products.

I'd do it. Love to see my mug on cardboard cutouts smiling like a dick holding a can of poorly brewed beer. Pretending to be refreshed on the telly ads.

But I have no reputation to maintain. Ramsey is (was?) a Michelin 3 starred chef and has built his career around calling out shitty food.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 08:45:23 AM »

This is the thing. Putting aside the merits (or lack thereof) of Korean beer, and whether or not Ramsay actually likes the stuff (SPOILER: He doesn't), him and his PR people see Cass as a way to break into the Asian endorsement market, where, as someone else mentioned, celebrity endorsements still carry some weight, compared to the west and he can make a ton of cash. If he does it right, Cass is just the beginning.

And Gordon and his team probably don't really care about the "quality" of the beer as it's an Asian product with an Asian consumer base. Any negative press will not really affect the value of his "brand" back home.

Just like Bill Murray!

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 08:47:18 AM »
But I have no reputation to maintain. Ramsey is (was?) a Michelin 3 starred chef and has built his career around calling out shitty food.

yes, as I said before it'd be like one of us endorsing some crappy YBM English book we'd been slagging off on here all year.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 08:47:51 AM »

I said this in the OINK thread. He doesn't give a shit about the money. It's about getting his face on every fridge here. Cass usually has gorgeous Koreans on it. Love him or leave him, his face on a Cass ad will turn heads.

There are 50 million people here with disposable income. That's a lot of money and exposure.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 08:49:18 AM »
I'd do it. Love to see my mug on cardboard cutouts smiling like a dick holding a can of poorly brewed beer. Pretending to be refreshed on the telly ads.

Hell yeah!

:-* Are you the guy from the Cass ad?

:afro: That's right, baby.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 08:51:49 AM »

This is the thing. Putting aside the merits (or lack thereof) of Korean beer, and whether or not Ramsay actually likes the stuff (SPOILER: He doesn't), him and his PR people see Cass as a way to break into the Asian endorsement market, where, as someone else mentioned, celebrity endorsements still carry some weight, compared to the west and he can make a ton of cash. If he does it right, Cass is just the beginning.

And Gordon and his team probably don't really care about the "quality" of the beer as it's an Asian product with an Asian consumer base. Any negative press will not really affect the value of his "brand" back home.

Just like Bill Murray!

One of my Korean adult students actually raised this topic in a class this week and they were all taking the piss out of Ramsay's endorsement, so I'm not sure it'll carry that much weight.