November 18, 2017, 08:08:42 PM

Author Topic: Gordon Ramsay endorses... what?  (Read 2999 times)

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • It is as it never was...
Re: Gordon Ramsay endorses... what?
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 12:08:56 PM »
Ugh. I come from Budweiser's home state. I really hate when I see people rave about Budweiser  :huh: That and Coors  :rolleyes:
I mean, it is ridiculous to choose him but Cass isn't that bad. It's just cheap light beer.

It and Hite are literally the worst beers on the planet. They make swill like Budweiser seem good by comparison.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 12:11:38 PM »
LEAVE CASS ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's what you buy when your neighborhood corner store doesn't have OB or Sapporo.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Woooo!  Look at you!!  The king has arrived!!   ;D

I remember my first night in Korea after my stupidly long flight from England and I went to the local convenience store.  There was hite, cass and Sapporo silver cup in the fridge.  The price difference between the three was huge.  Sapporo was something like 9000 won.  Guess what I bought?

The cheapest? That's what I would've done  ;D especially when i first arrived!

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »
Budweiser, Coors, Michelob, Cass, Hite, OB, Max, etc. etc. are pretty much all the same and are all garbage. My Dad and his drinking buddies (all soccer dads) label those types of beers as CAB (Crappy American Beer). The label can be extended to cover other countries' beer of similar make and quality 8)

It's all about the stouts, porters, and IPAs for me, with other various dark beers thrown in. It doesn't all have to be microbrew or craft whatever. I'm not that stuck up, but I do have standards! :angel:
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 01:04:50 PM »
I mean, it is ridiculous to choose him but Cass isn't that bad. It's just cheap light beer.

Not everything has to be micro brewed small batch pale ale from a independent space brewery.  :laugh:

Hmmm, I have you down as a 'Special Brew'....

...or a white cider kind of gall.

:-*

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »
It and Hite are literally the worst beers on the planet. They make swill like Budweiser seem good by comparison.

Hite and Cass are pale nothing. But the worst? Obviously you've never had Blatt's or Black Label or Milwaukee's Worst.

It's not that Hite and Cass are bad so much as they are just...nothing. They work all right as summer easy sippins or go okay with spicy food, but they certainly aren't the kind of beer you'd want to sit down and enjoy at the pub.

Really the problem with them isn't so much their banal taste, it's that they should cost about half as much. A can should go for 1000 won and a pitcher should go for 2.5~3. I'd drink that over Natty or Busch. Doesn't beat Red Dog in the bargain brew category though. And it doesn't have the punch of OE or Steel Reserve.   

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 01:52:18 PM »

Not everything has to be micro brewed small batch pale ale from a independent space brewery.  :laugh:

This is true.

There's literally nothing wrong with macrobrew lagers as a category. They're popular because they're refreshing and easy to drink. Do I prefer independent brewers? Most of the time, yes. Especially if I'm going out for beers - I'd like to start with something with a more unique flavour. But like, if it's hot or you just feel like having a beer with dinner, there's literally nothing offensive about a macro lager's light, mild taste.

Are macro lagers kind of boring? Yes. Do they taste bad? Not really.

Just because something's mass produced and widely popular doesn't mean it's categorically bad.

Also, Max is a personal favourite of mine among factory beers.

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2017, 02:00:30 PM »
I don't have anything against cass really. It's just really cheap beer that you can say you get what you pay for...

Now... a Michelin chef with 6 stars who consistently tries to promote himself as someone who only promotes quality... promoting cheap beer as literally in his own words "amazing beer" and "fresh" is just completely hypocritical of him. Unless of course he truly, absolutely believes the beer is as he described it.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 02:10:13 PM »
I don't have anything against cass really. It's just really cheap beer that you can say you get what you pay for...

Now... a Michelin chef with 6 stars who consistently tries to promote himself as someone who only promotes quality... promoting cheap beer as literally in his own words "amazing beer" and "fresh" is just completely hypocritical of him. Unless of course he truly, absolutely believes the beer is as he described it.

Accurate. Like, I don't think many people would describe Cass as amazing with any sort of sincerity. I'm sure there are people out there who genuinely love it, but most people would probably struggle to even call Cass anything beyond passable.

Ramsay is a tool, though. 

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 02:12:59 PM »
Just because something's mass produced and widely popular doesn't mean it's categorically bad.

Hipsters are killing beer. I like a good quality microbrew as well, but we've seen how this goes. First people branched out into stuff like Guinness, Blue Moon, Goose Island and whatnot. And hey, they tasted alright. Then those became "too commercial". Now even certain microbrews like Magic Hat #9, Bell's Oberon, Rogue, etc. are now "too mainstream". It's like music. Hipsters and snobs just get insufferable. I do agree though that Gordon Ramsey and Cass is dumb. Should go with an everyman type. I hate to say it, but Guy Fieri although, somehow, he is still above Cass.

The older I get, the less I sometimes care about that stuff and am just fine getting buzzed on a cheap and easy glass of Cass or Bud Light over some meat or Chicken. Or just a plain simple Guinness. It's like Old Rumpole of the Bailey and his glass of Chateau Thames Embankment.  The purpose of drink is to get (at least) slightly drunk. That being said, if I'm at a nice bar or a nice sports bar and watching the game and they have some interesting microbrew, obviously I want that instead of some boring Cass. Same if I'm at the whathaveyou by Kyungridan with all the microbrews at that convenience store. There's a time for easy and there's a time to explore.

If it tastes good, drink it. If you're looking to get effed up and want to do it on the cheap. Drink your Cass or Schlitz or Boone's Farm. More power to you.

Besides, isn't the purpose of Cass to combine it with a 1,500 won bottle of Soju and get nicely buzzed for 5-10 bucks.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 02:21:09 PM »
I couldn't tell the difference between most beers if you paid me. But Korean beer does give me a headache. Someone said they use formaldehyde in it.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생은 꿈뿐이다
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 02:31:43 PM »
Meh, Gordon Ramsay repping Cass makes perfect sense within the logic of Korea.

Celebrity=good.
Celebrity + Product = Good advertising.

As for Gordon's brand he has no soul left to sell anyway. So, yeah.

If Anthony Bourdain starts shilling for Hite or something though I would be truly sad  :sad:

And yeah some beer is better than others but I'll drink whatever. I'm not too picky. I'll say it's great too, if you pay me  ;D

Offline StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
Putting down Cass doesn't make anyone a beer snob. I will sometimes drink boring macro lagers if I'm in the mood for them, but Cass and Hite are outright objectionable.

Cass is not just boring. It's unpleasant.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 02:39:02 PM »

Celebrity=good.

If Anthony Bourdain starts shilling for Hite or something though I would be truly sad  :sad:

And yeah some beer is better than others but I'll drink whatever. I'm not too picky. I'll say it's great too, if you pay me  ;D

To be fair, if Bourdain was drinking Hite, he'd probably just say, "Ah, yeah. That's a cold beer. Good."

I doubt he'd hate it. He wouldn't endorse it, though, haha. Or say it was amazing.

Also, Cass and Hite are kind of bad, yes. Cass and OB Pilsner are my least favourite beers in Korea. Not bad enough that I'd actually say they're bad, but yeah. Fitz actually is below those. Kloud is decent. And I actively enjoy Max and think it's better than the majority of the import beers in the convenience stores.

Also anyone saying anything good about Goose Island, it's hot trash for how overpriced it is. It's also basically a macrobrew marketed as a 'craft' beer.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »
Cass and Hite wouldn't be so bad if typical crappy Korean quality control didn't mean that one bottle will taste tolerable, and then the next 10 you drink taste like boiled dog vomit. You see them being delivered in Bongo trucks sitting out in the sun all day long. Koreans just don't care anymore.

and lol @ anyone like Steelderails who defends Hite and Cass. Vietnam is a poor third world country and they have excellent beer. Korean beer is a national tragedy by comparison.

Cass and Hite are just yet another example of Korean chaebols screwing over naive Korean consumers and thinking they can get away with it forever. Fortunately Korean drinkers are finally waking up and are buying better foreign beers, and Korean micro- and macro-breweries are catering to them more and more.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2017, 02:55:05 PM »
Celebrity=good.

Always funny with advertising.  Hite is all about partying and good clean fun with beautiful K-pop stars dancing and looking brill. 

I would have to drink a lot of cass to be drunk enough to enjoy a K-Pop night and even then I'll be hopping to the toilet every five minutes.

Also, if it is so great for getting drunk why do you have to mix it with soju to have any effect?

Correct me if I wrong but I've never seen soju have this kind of effect. 

Ah, there we are!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2017, 02:55:37 PM »

Celebrity=good.

Those are my fave chefs. And I love them for completely different reasons.

Ramsay=Master Chef, knows a lot about cooking and recipes (I went to his resto in HK, the hype is real, holy shit)

Bourdain=knows about food, the stories, the adventure of cuisine.

That said, put on Parts Unknown over Hell's Kitchen any day.

That said, Kitchen Nightmares is my guilty pleasure show.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생은 꿈뿐이다
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2017, 03:08:07 PM »

To be fair, if Bourdain was drinking Hite, he'd probably just say, "Ah, yeah. That's a cold beer. Good."

I doubt he'd hate it. He wouldn't endorse it, though, haha. Or say it was amazing.

Also, Cass and Hite are kind of bad, yes. Cass and OB Pilsner are my least favourite beers in Korea. Not bad enough that I'd actually say they're bad, but yeah. Fitz actually is below those. Kloud is decent. And I actively enjoy Max and think it's better than the majority of the import beers in the convenience stores.

True, and that's why I love Tony. Obviously he knows quality from swill, but he can appreciate that there's a time and place for everything. If you're down and dirty in some dive don't be expecting anything high class and furthermore ENJOY the vibe and the swill for what it is. Cheap beer made to get drunk and silly  :P

I actually really like Kloud. Better than all the other Korean beers IMHO. ANd that has nothing to do with Seolhyun being in the ads, of course lol  :wink:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2017, 03:12:42 PM »
I actually really like Kloud. Better than all the other Korean beers IMHO. ANd that has nothing to do with Seolhyun being in the ads, of course lol  :wink:

Hey, c'mon man, I'm at work, don't show me that shit.  :afro:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생은 꿈뿐이다
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2017, 03:13:04 PM »

Bourdain=knows about food, the stories, the adventure of cuisine.

That said, put on Parts Unknown over Hell's Kitchen any day.

+1

Parts Unknown is great but I'll always have a soft spot for No Reservations and especially the weird 'guerilla' feel of the earlier episodes. They're all great though. And on YouTube  :smiley:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2017, 03:21:05 PM »
Parts Unknown is great but I'll always have a soft spot for No Reservations and especially the weird 'guerilla' feel of the earlier episodes. They're all great though. And on YouTube  :smiley:

Oh, absolutely, any of his shows. You've seen his Raw Craft Series? Really interesting and varied.