September 26, 2018, 04:34:01 AM

Author Topic: Live Eel  (Read 518 times)

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
Live Eel
« on: September 04, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
I wanted to know where are some good places to eat live eel. I went to this one place in Myeongdong (명동) or Dongdaemun (동대문) can't remember.  It was in a Russian alley way. They served live eel on a grill which they then covered up with a lid from a pan. It was really delicious and interesting to eat. I went to this place years ago when I didn't know much Korean or could read much Korean but the memory stays with me.

-It might be in Myeongdong or Dongdaemun

-It was in a Russian neighborhood/alley way

I hope someone can help. And if no one knows what location I am talking about then can you suggest other places where I can eat live eel (same method of lid over the eel etc.) Yes I know you can get already prepared bbq eel anywhere but the live eel experience makes it better :-D

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Live Eel
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »

I think you mean hagfish. Most of the actual eel restaurants in Korea serve the river eel that is similar to the Japanese Unnaggi. If you go to an actual seaside area you might find places that specialize in ocean eels that are served fresh and still wiggling.

Your best bet would be Noriangin market in Seoul. This is a huge live fish market. They have pretty much everything. If you plan to stayin Korea for a long time it is worth it to spend some time in Busan. Jalkakji market in a famous market that it full of aquariums with live fish of all shapes and sizes and it goes on for miles.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:50:58 PM by fishead »