December 19, 2018, 09:10:06 PM

Author Topic: Spoiled Millennials take down Confederate Statue and kick it.  (Read 26167 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: Spoiled Millennials take down Confederate Statue and kick it.
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2017, 12:27:13 PM »

No, this is connected: DO YOU SUPPORT TRUMP'S SURGE, YES OR NO?

I think you can see the puzzle you're caught in. You either have to acknowledge Trump is right (under your own logic of MUST DO SOMETHING NOW AND STOP EVIL) or say he's wrong and then admit that action is not always the best course and that perhaps the answers aren't so easy.

Holy mackerel gogators!. You're finished now!

Demartino has used both caps and bold letters. He's gone nuclear! By the laws of the internet you are summoned to answer his question.

But you can't because he cunningly trapped you with your own logic. You have no way out! You should concede victory and maybe he will let you go. On my days I have never seen such a conundrum!.

Too brutal! Too brutal......

How about you Arabin, any comments on Trump's Afghanistan policy?

Also, I hear there's some sexual slavery in Nigeria, should we invade to go and kill Boko Haram?

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2017, 12:55:08 PM »
And yet a hypothetical situation (your favorite) comes to mind in which you stand by while people who could be saved die because you don't have a plan and want to draw one up and then debate it before trying to save people who by that time are probably already dead.

Haste does not have to be rashness and patience does not have to be indifference.

Sometimes rapid action is good. Other times it can cause more problems than it solves. Doing something just for the sake of doing something is not always the best course.

As for trumpy's "surge," start a new thread where you can discuss/debate something that trumpy gave very few details about, perfect for your assumptions, conjectures, hypotheticals and general rambling.

I think you can see the puzzle you're caught in. You either have to acknowledge Trump is right (under your own logic of MUST DO SOMETHING NOW AND STOP EVIL) or say he's wrong and then admit that action is not always the best course and that perhaps the answers aren't so easy.
Abolishing slavery is not doing something just for the sake of doing something. Good to know, though, that in a crisis you'd come through (NOT).

I'm not caught in any puzzle because I'm not the one advocating slavery and doing everything possible to defend such a detestable stance, in this case equating a decision to continue waging war in a foreign country with your advocacy of continuing slavery while great minds such as yours work out all the kinks.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »
Abolishing slavery is not doing something just for the sake of doing something. Good to know, though, that in a crisis you'd come through (NOT).

I'm not caught in any puzzle because I'm not the one advocating slavery and doing everything possible to defend such a detestable stance, in this case equating a decision to continue waging war in a foreign country with your advocacy of continuing slavery while great minds such as yours work out all the kinks.
Did you support the Iraq War and the disbanding of Saddam's army?

Are you advocating for Saddam's war crimes? I think that's detestable. Why wait and sort things out. Just get rid of his army and all the Baathists.

You know I'm right. You know these kinds of huge decisions have big consequences and you can't just make impulsive decisions and that the idealist solution is not always the most pragmatic and successful solution.

But rather than admit that, you accuse me of supporting slavery. Congratulations, you haven't "lost" the argument on technical points. Clap clap clap.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »

Did you support the Iraq War and the disbanding of Saddam's army?

Are you advocating for Saddam's war crimes? I think that's detestable. Why wait and sort things out. Just get rid of his army and all the Baathists.

You know I'm right. You know these kinds of huge decisions have big consequences and you can't just make impulsive decisions and that the idealist solution is not always the most pragmatic and successful solution.

But rather than admit that, you accuse me of supporting slavery. Congratulations, you haven't "lost" the argument on technical points. Clap clap clap.
I know that you're wrong because you're hiding behind the incompetence of the Bush administration to continue your defense of slavery.

And because you have to use false rhetoric--"impulsive decisions"--to defend your position.
There was nothing impulsive about Lincoln's decision to free the slaves. Comparing Abraham Lincoln to Bush II is just one more sign of how pathetic your argument is.

I'm not accusing you of anything; your very words exhibit your support of slavery.

Offline Arabin

• Veteran
« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »

Holy mackerel gogators!. You're finished now!

Demartino has used both caps and bold letters. He's gone nuclear! By the laws of the internet you are summoned to answer his question.

But you can't because he cunningly trapped you with your own logic. You have no way out! You should concede victory and maybe he will let you go. On my days I have never seen such a conundrum!.

Too brutal! Too brutal......

How about you Arabin, any comments on Trump's Afghanistan policy?

Also, I hear there's some sexual slavery in Nigeria, should we invade to go and kill Boko Haram?

Trump doesn't have policies. He has reactions.  Just like you don't have opinions, you have sides.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »
Another Lee relative speaks out in favor of removing Confederate statues:

A descendant of Confederate general Robert E Lee has called for all statues of him to be pulled down and claimed Donald Trump has “no idea” what he is talking about when he defends them.

And then calls out trumpy for good measure:

Yet Karen Finney, a descendant of Lee and a one-time spokesman for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, said Mr Trump does not know what he is talking about and was not “intellectually interested” in learning about the difficult, complex history he was diving into.

“President Trump, how dare you. You have no idea,” she told MSNBC.

There were two periods in US history - between 1880 to 1920, and during the 1950s and 1960s - when most of the statues of figures such as Lee were erected. They were put up by white communities trying to impose control on black people and to push back against the progress being made by the civil rights campaign.

“[It was] to say to blacks, ‘guess who’s still charge’,” said Ms Finney, a great-great-great grandniece of Lee.

“This is the system of the Confederacy that Donald Trump was defending, so when he throws those kinds of terms around he doesn’t really understand the history.”

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »
BRANTLEY, Ala. (AP) — As cities across the country are tearing down and relocating Confederate monuments, a county in southern Alabama on Sunday unveiled a new one.

Several hundred people attended a dedication ceremony for the "Unknown Alabama Confederate Soldiers" at Confederate Veterans Memorial Park in Crenshaw County, Alabama, 55 miles (88 kilometers) south of Montgomery.

The memorial park's owner and developer, David Coggins, said the groups in attendance weren't white nationalists or racists, but were acknowledging their heritage and honoring Confederate soldiers everywhere.

"It's important that we remember our heritage and it's very important we remember our history, for those people that forget their heritage ... are doomed to repeat it again," he said.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/confederate-monument-unknown-soldiers-unveiled-alabama-222028915.html

Good for them.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2017, 11:04:37 AM »
BRANTLEY, Ala. (AP) — As cities across the country are tearing down and relocating Confederate monuments, a county in southern Alabama on Sunday unveiled a new one.

Several hundred people attended a dedication ceremony for the "Unknown Alabama Confederate Soldiers" at Confederate Veterans Memorial Park in Crenshaw County, Alabama, 55 miles (88 kilometers) south of Montgomery.

The memorial park's owner and developer, David Coggins, said the groups in attendance weren't white nationalists or racists, but were acknowledging their heritage and honoring Confederate soldiers everywhere.

"It's important that we remember our heritage and it's very important we remember our history, for those people that forget their heritage ... are doomed to repeat it again," he said.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/confederate-monument-unknown-soldiers-unveiled-alabama-222028915.html

Good for them.

Lol. Yes, let's give it up for Alabama who has a corrupt government, low education, and a history of being super racist.

Offline Arabin

• Veteran
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2017, 12:54:23 PM »

Good for them.

Lol. Yes, let's give it up for Alabama who has a corrupt government, low education, and a history of being super racist.

Not sure I would want to celebrate history if I was from Alabama. Although it has to be said that if they hadn't been such a bunch of violent racist idiots in Selma and Montgomery, the civil rights movement would not have garnered as much support.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »

Good for them.

Not sure I would want to celebrate history if I was from Alabama. Although it has to be said that if they hadn't been such a bunch of violent racist idiots in Selma and Montgomery, the civil rights movement would not have garnered as much support.

As a black person who was born in raised in AL. They're still racist asf. My life goals consist of never having to live there again.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2017, 01:35:36 PM »
Well it's too late then, innit, and I'd kick it and I'd say, "You Knobhead". But what's the point of getting annoyed now, cos it's done it's stuff.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2017, 02:10:40 PM »

Good for them.
It's always good to remember "out heritage" as racists, segregationists, slave owners, lynch mob members, KKK members...yea, good times.

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »

Good for them.

That was part of MLK's strategy- protest in the cities where they were most likely to get that kind of reaction from the police and make sure the media was present to take plenty of pictures. It worked.

As a black person who was born in raised in AL. They're still racist asf. My life goals consist of never having to live there again.
After reading Chinese Girl in the Ghetto, I wonder if it's worse for non-blacks in areas with large black populations.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »

Good for them.

That was part of MLK's strategy- protest in the cities where they were most likely to get that kind of reaction from the police and make sure the media was present to take plenty of pictures. It worked.

After reading Chinese Girl in the Ghetto, I wonder if it's worse for non-blacks in areas with large black populations.

Well, that has nothing to do with anything besides you wanting to assert that you think black people are scary. Maybe you should actually get to know people who are different from you.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2017, 02:36:22 PM »

Good for them.

Hahahahahaha.

Yeah, I can see how we'd want to prevent them from repeating their heritage. Better that it's left in the past.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2017, 03:18:26 PM »
It's the public education system and the universities that have been indoctrinating the kids for how many years?  Where the hell are the parents?  They are asleep at the switch not challenging what their kids were taught and now the chickens are coming home to roost.  Maybe someday when they get tired of mediocrity and a shitty economy with crappy paying jobs for most, they'll wake up.  A shame on the aging hippies who quietly got into academia and saw as their duty to brainwash the next generation.  They did seem to bring the PCism into things a bit later in middle school and into high school.  But the maritimes are a bit behind the times.  So thankfully, I never got exposed to their BS too badly.  In high school, it was a mix.  Some of us thought the crap the teachers were starting to lay down were lame and we'd make fun of it.  Others ate it up.  I guess I'm borderline old millennial and young generation x.  But it does seem most leftist friends I have same age and older (really over 35) are decent to talk to.  Civil disagreements and mutual respect can go hand in hand.  Some younger leftists say 32 and younger get triggered, flip out, and will unfriend you.  Some of them need to grow up.  They just get so filled with hate. 

This said, there have been some pretty nice millennials, I've met during my time here.  It's not really fair to harp on them being lazy or anything like that as the economy has been pretty shitty for years.  I mean it's great if your in IT or some other specialized field.  But it's a "F U" to everyone else it seems.  This part makes me mad too and I can at least agree with my younger counterparts on these issues. 

Only bright side is some younger kids in high school are sick of the crap and seem to be more conservative and libertarian in some ways.  When it comes to schools trying to put garbage in your own kids heads, you got to ask your future kids what was taught today and constantly keep reinforcing your ideals to them so they don't get plowed over with nonsense. 

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »
It's the public education system and the universities that have been indoctrinating the kids for how many years?  Where the hell are the parents?  They are asleep at the switch not challenging what their kids were taught and now the chickens are coming home to roost.  Maybe someday when they get tired of mediocrity and a shitty economy with crappy paying jobs for most, they'll wake up.  A shame on the aging hippies who quietly got into academia and saw as their duty to brainwash the next generation.  They did seem to bring the PCism into things a bit later in middle school and into high school.  But the maritimes are a bit behind the times.  So thankfully, I never got exposed to their BS too badly.  In high school, it was a mix.  Some of us thought the crap the teachers were starting to lay down were lame and we'd make fun of it.  Others ate it up.  I guess I'm borderline old millennial and young generation x.  But it does seem most leftist friends I have same age and older (really over 35) are decent to talk to.  Civil disagreements and mutual respect can go hand in hand.  Some younger leftists say 32 and younger get triggered, flip out, and will unfriend you.  Some of them need to grow up.  They just get so filled with hate. 

This said, there have been some pretty nice millennials, I've met during my time here.  It's not really fair to harp on them being lazy or anything like that as the economy has been pretty shitty for years.  I mean it's great if your in IT or some other specialized field.  But it's a "F U" to everyone else it seems.  This part makes me mad too and I can at least agree with my younger counterparts on these issues. 

Only bright side is some younger kids in high school are sick of the crap and seem to be more conservative and libertarian in some ways.  When it comes to schools trying to put garbage in your own kids heads, you got to ask your future kids what was taught today and constantly keep reinforcing your ideals to them so they don't get plowed over with nonsense.

Yes, young Johnny, despite what your teachers, science, and logical people tell you, the world is flat. Father knows best.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
Yes, young Johnny, despite what your teachers, science, and logical people tell you, the world is flat. Father knows best.

Education majors are not usually the smartest of graduates and teachers are overwhelmigly left wing. Many of them like to pass on their political beliefs dressed up as 'fact.'

donovan

« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »

'Climate Science Meets a Stubborn Obstacle: Students'
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/04/us/education-climate-change-science-class-students.html

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »

Education majors are not usually the smartest of graduates and teachers are overwhelmigly left wing. Many of them like to pass on their political beliefs dressed up as 'fact.'

Source and example? I'd like to see the statistics on this. And I'd like a published example, not an anecdote.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:43:55 PM by jddavis7 »