March 25, 2019, 09:02:29 PM

Author Topic: Google’s Firing of Anti-Diversity Memo Writer  (Read 12598 times)

Offline Arabin

• Veteran
Re: Google’s Firing of Anti-Diversity Memo Writer
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2017, 07:46:36 AM »

At one point the guy even says that women are prone to being neurotic and emotional

Women are literally more neurotic than men, on average.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9200973

Odd because most of the unhinged clowns who obsessively troll this forum with their tired talking points stolen from 4chan, are men.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 10:05:39 AM »
Trump said it, so it must be true.

Wait.  Almost exactly not.

The wage gap evidence is suspect at best. Most indepth analysis of it really question how strong of an effect there is once you start controlling for a variety of factors.
Examples please, from a reputable source if possible.

I'm not going to wipe your arse for you if you want stats as I am sure you are more than capable of using gulag (google), but for starters, the highest paid professions such as engineering are dominated by males, so is the tech industry and high level surgeons plus a host of dangerous and dirty jobs which males choose to do.

Lower paid work in the fields of education, nursing, speech pathology and receptionist work are the dominant fields chosen by females. They choose to take on these lower paying fields of work; no one is forcing them to do it.

As mentioned, there are a host of factors that affect someone's wage:

Occupation
Hours worked
Willingness to travel
Tenure
Qualifications
Willingness to ask for a raise

Furthermore, it is illegal to pay a male more for doing the same job so I'd like to see some evidence from you that argues against that.

Lastly, if males get paid more for doing the same job, why isn't every office in the world full of women who allegedly get paid less? Imagine all the savings from your wage bill!

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2017, 10:22:23 AM »
Tolerance is a one way street for many leftists.  Bigotry of other people and other ideas are perfectly acceptable to them.  They have no response when you give them inconvenient things like "facts".  Even CNN gets in on the action.  They only want some facts and not others.  They don't want both sides of the story nor to be fair and even handed.  Integrity, honor, and fairness have been replaced by dishonesty, hate, intimidation, violence, and all around general creepiness. 

Not to say all are, especially older liberal and conservative friends.  They are much more rational, more mature, they don't need safe spaces, they don't get triggered, they don't get violent, they don't try to "shut you up", and they respect you at the end of the day for what type of person you are and how you treat them and other people.  (I have, for the record, even met many nice millennials.  Thirty seven % of them did vote for Trump and did vote against this PC crap.  Many others went 3rd party and many more stayed home.  So, at least half of them have some clue of what is going on, even if not fully in agreement all the time.) 

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2018, 11:02:42 PM »
Update:

"James Damore sues Google, claims tech giant discriminates against white conservative men....

" 'Damore, Gudeman, and other class members were ostracized, belittled, and punished for their heterodox political views, and for the added sin of their birth circumstances of being Caucasians and/or males,' the lawsuit alleged. 'This is the essence of discrimination—Google formed opinions about and then treated Plaintiffs not based on their individual merits, but rather on their membership in groups with assumed characteristics.'

"Damore told Fox Business that Google still engages in 'harassment and career sabotage of anyone that expresses a conservative viewpoint, and there’s constant shaming and attacks against white men within Silicon Valley.' "
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/01/09/james-damore-sues-google-claims-tech-giant-discriminates-against-white-conservative-men.html

Offline Rusty Brown

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2018, 11:47:07 PM »
Sweet.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »
Damone is also claiming liberals are hunting down conservatives in silicon valley. I don't think he's going to do so well on the stand.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:25 AM »
White men complaining about oppression. Oh, weep!

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 12:32:05 PM »
The full complaint he submitted to the court:
https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Damore-Google-COMPLAINT.pdf

In the second half, he included numerous screenshots of biased (anti-conservative, anti-Caucasian, pro political violence) posts on Google's employee message boards. The evidence seems pretty damning.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »

The guy got fired just for expressing his opinion, which in no stretch of the imagination could be described as offensive. Should he just take that on the chin because he was born a male and has the same skin colour as the majority of the population? Besides which having grown up autistic and with a hooter like that I'm pretty sure he's faced just as much discrimination as the next guy.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:31:48 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 02:13:30 PM »
https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Damore-Google-COMPLAINT.pdf

In the second half, he included numerous screenshots of biased (anti-conservative, anti-Caucasian, pro political violence) posts on Google's employee message boards. The evidence seems pretty damning.
Wouldn't that covered by free speech? Just sayin'.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2018, 02:16:58 PM »

The guy got fired just for expressing his opinion, which in no stretch of the imagination could be described as offensive. Should he just take that on the chin because he was born a male and has the same skin colour as the majority of the population? Besides which having grown up autistic and with a hooter like that I'm pretty sure he's faced just as much discrimination as the next guy.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you posting about two wrongs don't make a right? If so, why isn't that applicable here?

I'm pretty sure everyone knows he's autistic, but no one brought it up except the conservative supposedly supporting him. Funny, huh?

And what do you have against big noses? Is that a blood and soil thing?

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »

But they didn't get fired for their free speech. Damore did.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2018, 11:56:00 AM »

That's up to the courts to decide.

Offline Andyman

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2018, 03:16:41 PM »

I'm not the first person on this thread to mention this, but it obviously hasn't sunk in for some of you.

FIRING PEOPLE FOR ANY REASON, WITHOUT HAVING TO JUSTIFY THAT DECISION, IS SOMETHING THAT CONSERVATIVES HAVE FOUGHT FOR FOR YEARS

When I lived in Texas a few years ago, one of the biggest items on the Republican-led legislative agenda was a "religious freedom" law that would give employers greater laxity in firing employees because of their sexuality. Republicans fought hard for, and won, "at will" status in California, which means that employers don't have to answer to anyone when they terminate your employment (obviously, lawyers know a few ways to challenge this, but they're an expensive resource).

"Free speech" means that the government can't throw you in jail for expressing an opinion, not that you have the absolute right to keep your job at a private company if said company determines (rightly or wrongly) that you have insubordinately challenged its HR policies and damaged its brand.

A true conservative response to this should be, "James Damore will be rewarded by whatever the market deems to be his true worth."

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2018, 07:57:39 PM »
FIRING PEOPLE FOR ANY REASON, WITHOUT HAVING TO JUSTIFY THAT DECISION, IS SOMETHING THAT CONSERVATIVES HAVE FOUGHT FOR FOR YEARS

When I lived in Texas a few years ago, one of the biggest items on the Republican-led legislative agenda was a "religious freedom" law that would give employers greater laxity in firing employees because of their sexuality. Republicans fought hard for, and won, "at will" status in California, which means that employers don't have to answer to anyone when they terminate your employment (obviously, lawyers know a few ways to challenge this, but they're an expensive resource).

Ok I don't know anything about US labour laws but laws that allow companies to fire people because of their sexuality sounds more like something that takes place in Iran rather than the western world.

In the UK there are labour laws and processes of appeal. I guess this is also linked to the contract.

e.g.

From the UK government website:

Dismissal is when your employer ends your employment - they don’t always have to give you notice.

If you’re dismissed, your employer must show they’ve:

a valid reason that they can justify
acted reasonably in the circumstances
They must also:

be consistent - eg not dismiss you for doing something that they let other employees do
have investigated the situation fully before dismissing you - eg if a complaint was made about you.

I imagine Google will cite some part of James Damore's contract that says he attacked Google's values or words to that effect. A similar case happened in the UK recently when a British Council manager slagged off Prince George.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-council-boss-prince-george-white-privilege-comments-angela-gibbins-fired-compensation-a8041496.html

The difference IMO is that the BC manager was mindlessly venting on a public forum against the grandson of the BC's patron and her comments had no possible constructive value.  Damore was not slagging off Google's bosses on a public forum and was actually attempting to give constructive feedback for the good of the company.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:00:03 PM by eggieguffer »

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2018, 08:33:09 PM »
Didn't he use his work e-mail to launch his tirade?

In the UK, I am sure he would have still been have fired for misuse of company e-mail, as well as tarnishing the company's name.

"attempting to give constructive feedback for the good of the company.". No, that's a bit of a stretch for defending the reasons for firing him.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2018, 08:38:21 PM »
In the UK, I am sure he would have still been have fired for misuse of company e-mail, as well as tarnishing the company's name.

It was an eternal email wasn't it, so not tarnishing the Google brand. 

"attempting to give constructive feedback for the good of the company.". No, that's a bit of a stretch for defending the reasons for firing him.

I guess the courts will decide that, though while it might not have been his place to comment, if you read the memo you can see he was trying to suggest good practice in his opinion.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:43:07 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2018, 08:52:36 PM »

I'm not the first person on this thread to mention this, but it obviously hasn't sunk in for some of you.

Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2018, 08:55:19 PM »

I guess the courts will decide that, though while it might not have been his place to comment, if you read the memo you can see he was trying to suggest good practice in his opinion.

All the news reports I've read, say it was an "internal memo". So, he used Google property to voice his angry rant. There is "voicing an opinion" and there's "10 pages of ranting about neurotic women." Pretty sure, it broke Google's Code of Conduct.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2018, 08:59:18 PM »

It wasn't met to be, but it looks like, unfortunately because anybody can make a mistake, it may haunt him for quite a while.