February 17, 2019, 03:21:19 PM

Author Topic: Concerts that were special, and why.  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
Re: Concerts that were special, and why.
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:53:23 AM »

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 10:31:41 AM »
Nirvana 1992.
      I have a depressing story about a concert: a few of my best mates decided to skip out on exams one fine winter morning at the tag end of '93. They hopped the border, stayed the night in Spokane (murder capital of the USA at the time!) and caught a Nirvana concert.
      I, unfortunately, having parents who were a bit more watchful, got caught sneaking out and was forced to sit home and study for / complete my exams.
   But hey! No worries, Nirvana's a fairly young band. They'll be around for years! You can catch them next time they're in the area!
    My friends still reminisce over that concert.
 >:(  :cry:

My best actual concert story was at Wakefest in Kelowna. The performances were great (Sloan, Gob, and some local talents bands)! Got caught in a mosh pit and managed to escape without serious bruises, filched a few BEvERageS, and screamed ourselves hoarse.
    After the concert (it was an early afternoon concert which is weird) we went to a nearby skate part with our bikes for some constructive self-injury and were eventually joined by the members of Gob. We had a lot of fun. Although I probably would have had more fun if they weren't so clearly better than us in every way at doing stupid things on wheels.  >:(

Close runner up was at a BuckCherry and Papa Roach concert when we thought we were gonna get thrown out when one of us decided that it would be a great idea to smack the singer's butt as he ran past during the performance. Luckily it only earned her a wink.
    To clarify, he wasn't running past the rows down an aisle, but between the rows past all the people... which is rude and probably deserving of a good smack.

Oh, and back when I was in uni I helped set up for a couple Nickleback shows... but this was before they became hated by everyone so the shows were pretty chill. We set up the security fences on campus, so naturally we locked ourselves in and were forced to watch the shows. Oh the horror.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:49:14 AM by kyndo »

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 10:53:35 AM »
^

We all have regrets. I think it was '89 and Faith No More were big after releasing the Epic single. I wasn't 18 and couldn't risk the $20 wasted on not getting into the over 18s show.

Well, my high school mates went and still talk about it when the subject of best gig ever comes up after too many beers. They talk about how Mike Patton was hanging from the rafters and such. I've seen FNM several times but it seems that was a gig to remember.

To add to the conversation, I was at a big music festival in the 90's and a big storm was brewing. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds were on stage and the wind picked up and it was blowing around Nick's hair and shirt. Quite a memory.

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 11:21:33 AM »
I remember seeing U2 back in the day when the IRA were still bombing, shooting and murdering in the name of Ireland. Bono held up the Irish tricolour and stated, as he was wont to do,  that the Irish flag should never be used to justify violence. He then tossed the flag into the audience and two guys started beating the shit out of each to get the flag as a souvenir. Bono was just standing there doing the 'face palm' thing. After stadium security removed the idiots the concert continued. No more flags were thrown into the crowd that evening. ;D

Ah, the Irish.

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 03:50:20 PM »
We've all seen groovy concerts, man. People and/or bands that we dig.

Dude, you used 'dig, 'man' and 'groovy' right off the bat.

10 bonus points.

Well done.

:laugh:

Original hippie here.
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Offline ryanvandomp

• Newgookin
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 09:23:46 AM »
In 2016, I flew 7500km with my best friend to see David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) play in the ancient amphitheater of Pompeii.

It was a very small, extremely special concert. I ended up being 3 rows from the front, center stage. It will always be one of the most fond memories of my life.

It ended up being filmed, so I will always be able to relive the concert I went to!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 09:39:40 AM »
Muse in London Ontario. 800 person club. Front row. Absolution tour.

Met them before the show, got to see the soundcheck, too.

How big they've become now blows my mind. I used to follow them around Ontario on their tours. Matt would remember me from the night before. Saw them in Buffalo and Detroit, too. Seen em 11 times at this point.

Absolute favourite band, hands down. It's insane the venues I'm seeing them in now.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »
Muse in London Ontario. 800 person club. Front row. Absolution tour.

Met them before the show, got to see the soundcheck, too.

How big they've become now blows my mind. I used to follow them around Ontario on their tours. Matt would remember me from the night before. Saw them in Buffalo and Detroit, too. Seen em 11 times at this point.

Absolute favourite band, hands down. It's insane the venues I'm seeing them in now.
That's crazy that they were still playing club venues in North America at the time of Absolution. I saw them during the Origin of Symmetry tour when I was doing a working holiday in London. That was at an theater/arena few thousand capacity type place. Saw them at a massive festival in NZ in 2006 or 07. And in Seoul at Olympic Stadium in 2013. Always amazing.

Hard to pick one show above all others. Probably Devin Townsend in Auckland in 2010. He played in this underground (literally underground, it's like a bunker or something) that holds a few hundred people. I'd say about 200, maybe 300 turned up. He's obviously not a huge name, but to see him in such an intimate setting, where he was having conversations with us between songs and hung out after the show, was pretty amazing.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline apancoe

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »
saw linkin park while i was in college. great show - they sounded exactly the same live as their albums. rip chester

my girl got us tickets to see The Weeknd in seoul in december. i fck with his music heavy. really curious to hear how he sounds live.
too many blueprints & not enough architects

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 11:57:44 AM »
Before Radiohead launched the large venue world tour promoting Ok Computer they did a select city small venue tour that I got to see at the Arrow Hall out by Toronto's airport.  Had a couple thousand people in just a large room and we were able to get right up to the stage.

Got backstage at a Pogues concert one time.  It was post Shane McGowan but it was still fun drinking some beers with the band although I think they were hoping more women had caught the backstage passes they had thrown from the stage.

Saw my all time favourite band, The Clash, at the Montreal forum.  I think my first concert without a parent. 

During university and also at the Montreal forum, I overcame my guilt at spending a chunk of my monthly allowance to see David Bowie for his Sound and Vision tour because it was supposed to be his last tour doing only his hits.

Best missed concert: I used to work at a large law firm in Toronto.  Lots of times people would offer up free tickets to concerts or sporting games over the office intranet.  Only the well-paid but cheap ass lawyers ever tried to sell them.  One lady always got tickets to concerts through her husband (Collective Soul was one I remember) and she used to just start giving them to us as we were usually the only ones to respond.  So, we got a pair of tickets to an upcoming Labatt's Blind Date concert.  It was supposed to be big bands at small venues and you didn't know who it was until they came onstage.  Anyways, I went on a family trip to France and came back the Sunday of the concert.  We went to a pub in the afternoon to warm up for the show.  But after a number of beers and coupled with the fact I was with a girl I had only recently started to date and jet lag, I didn't go.  It was STP in their prime at a small club.  Either Guvernment or RPM, can't remember what it was called then. 

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2018, 12:00:05 PM »
Think it was 2014, Steve Vai came to Korea and was playing in some field, about an hours bus ride out of Asan.

After a long ass journey taking the express bus, metro bus and special bus to the venue, I arrived with minutes to spare before the concert started. I walked a damn km from the bus stop to the venue entrance only to be told I should've changed my ticket for a tag near the bus stop entrance... WHY NOT JUST HAVE ONE ENTRANCE TO SWAP THE TICKET FOR A TAG!?
So, I had 8m to run 2km (back to the bus stop ticket booth and to the field entrance). I mashed through the crowd and made it just as he hit the first note to "For the Love of God".

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »
I saw The Libertines in a tiny, tiny venue in Whitechapel just before they split and Pete went on to form Babyshambles.  I think they went on at 2 or 3am and I remember having to wait outside Kings Cross station in the early hours for it to open to get the first train back home!

Seeing Danzig in London was cool because...well, it's Danzig lol!  It was great because he did a mini set of Misfits songs with Doyle in the middle of playing his solo stuff.

I'll never forget NOT going to see MGMT when they were touring their debut album.  The gig was sold out and I refused to pay a tout the ridiculous price he wanted.  I'll always regret that.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 01:39:32 PM »
I saw The Libertines in a tiny, tiny venue in Whitechapel just before they split and Pete went on to form Babyshambles.  I think they went on at 2 or 3am and I remember having to wait outside Kings Cross station in the early hours for it to open to get the first train back home!

I saw them in Toronto touring their second album........................ sans Pete.

I got a setlist aftert the show from a roadie. Some girl tried to catch it, too, but I got it. She was looking kinda down and said that it was for her (f that, they throw it, we catch it). I did feel kind of bad so I offered to fold the paper and tear off the encore for her. I didn't have to, but I'm like that, haha.

So, what does she do? She lunges at the paper and grabs it. Well, didn't go as planned. She tore off a crescent shaped piece from the left side of the paper......................... with no actual writing on it. She got, waht is essentially, an anonymous scrap of paper, while I got a MOTHERLOVIN Libertines setlist!

Told her to f**k off and went on my way. She was pissssssedddddddd.
The joys of fauxtherhood