March 22, 2019, 01:44:13 AM

Author Topic: The ULTIMATE Hot Seat Game (Categorized, Randomized, 200+ Pics)  (Read 2471 times)

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran
WARNING: Wall of text. If uninterested, go to the bottom for the link.

First off, I can't take credit for most of this; the compilation of pictures and design of the ppt was made by somebody else, and I only added/edited a few of them. But as I can't find the original poster's post, and I feel like I've edited the game enough to be quite different, I'm starting a new post.
If you're not interested in why this ppt is unique from the hot seat games, or how to use the ppt, go down to the next section labeled THE GAME.
------------------------------------------------------
EXPLANATION OF PPT (READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BREAK THE PPT):
I've arranged the slides so that there are 6 different categories. I felt that this was a lot easier for the children if they knew the general topic that they're supposed to guess. Next, since doing it like this would result in a lot of "repeat" slides, I had to add randomization so that it still wasn't easy to guess, even though there would be inevitable "repeat" slides.
Last year, I couldn't figure out how to make the randomization work properly after adding or deleting slides without tinkering with the VBA code. Now that I've made it more user-friendly and all you have to do is add or delete slides as you wish and it still works perfectly, I'm finally confident anyone can use this ppt, so I'm uploading it.
There are a few notes to make if you don't want to break the randomization code.
DO NOT DELETE the title slide of each category. That is the slide with the "Randomize Slides" button on them. If you want to change it to another category, just change the header. The code is written so that it points at those slides' unique IDs. If they're deleted, the VBA code has no idea what slide you want it to randomize up to and it'll just spit out an error message. Also, this applies to the very last slide titled "End of Presentation". DO NOT DELETE that slide. That is also a placeholder slide.
Because of the randomization, it adds a lot of replayability as well as a luck factor as repeat slides in a single class will really make it easier for them to get points. Sometimes, I'd have three teams in a row roll a 2 (the smallest category), and the third team would have a big advantage because they've heard and thought about a lot of the explanations before.
THE GAME:
If you already know how to play, go down and download the file.
0.5: If your children have never played, then do a quick explanation of how to describe things without saying the thing itself, or come up with strategies. Explain the rules of the game, give examples, etc. I like to use the explanation used in the file "Hot Seat Explanation.pptx". Again, I can't take credit for that file.
1: Open up "Hot Seat Randomized_FINAL.pptm". Click on allow if there is a security warning (this is due to the randomization code I wrote into the ppt, if you don't allow, the randomization won't work).
2: Go to the second page, have one person from a team roll a die to choose a category. If you don't have a die, use any random number generator from 1-6. If I don't have a die, I usually just go to Excel, type in =RANDBETWEEN(1,6) into any cell and hold F9 until the children ask me to stop.
3: Click on whatever category the die falls on. Click on the button "Randomize Slides".
4: Have the "it" student who came up face away from the screen. Start a two minute timer.
5: Click through the pictures and give points to their team if the "it" student was able to guess the word.
6: Once the timer is up, click on the green circular arrow, and you'll end up going back to the choose a category slide. Repeat Steps 2-5 for the next team.
Note: Make whatever penalties that fits your classroom for cheating, etc.

For future versions, I want to add more slides to each category so that there is a smaller chance for repeat slides.

Download the Hot Seat Link file to get the Google Drive link to the files.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:15:10 PM by teacher1988 »

Offline stopngo43

• Waygookin
Re: The ULTIMATE Hot Seat Game (Categorized, Randomized, 200+ Pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 08:30:12 PM »
Thanks so much for the ppt! It looks awesome. Can't wait to try it out with my students.

Offline yellowlemon99

• Newgookin
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:23:09 AM »
First thanks for the powerpoint! My students really enjoyed this version of the game!

The only thing is the randomization function doesn't work for me, even when I allow it when the security warning pops up.

Any insights on how I can fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 09:59:17 AM »
Hello yellowlemon99, apologies for the big delay.

1) What version of MS Office are you using?
2) Can you describe what you mean when you say the randomization isn't working? For example, do all the slides stay in the same order, despite clicking on the Randomize Slides button? Or does it randomize the slides but for the incorrect category? Or does it randomize, but overshoots the slides it should randomize? etc.

Online rufus947

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »
This is pretty amazing. It can actually work as a speed quiz without the need for randomizing actually.
Just divide the class into six groups of 4 or 5 students. Each group gets a different category (decide with rock, paper, scissors). 2 students sit down (can't see the screen) and the other 3 students must describe what's on the screen without using the word on the screen. 1 point for each correct answer. teams have 2 minutes. The team with the most points is the winner.