March 27, 2019, 12:11:36 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Waygook.org user #basedcowboyshirt's #based lifehacks topic  (Read 31176 times)

Offline JNM

• The Legend
Re: Waygook.org user #basedcowboyshirt's #based lifehacks topic
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 09:15:38 PM »
Linen is a no-go in Worst Korea because it's so wrinkly, and I try to avoid ironing as much as possible because it's a stupid thing that peasants do. King Cotton is a lot less wrinkly!

Also wool is the devil! Except in winter, then it's fine as an outer layer. But you'd have to be smoking crack to think scratchy, itchy wool was worth wearing in summer when you could be wearing cool, breathable cotton clothes.

You are wearing the wrong wool if you think it is itchy.

I pay peasants to do my ironing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:52:28 PM by JNM »

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 10:12:41 PM »
My favorite one...

Open pistachios with the shell of one you've already eaten, like so:

Better:

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »
Linen is a no-go in Worst Korea because it's so wrinkly, and I try to avoid ironing as much as possible because it's a stupid thing that peasants do. King Cotton is a lot less wrinkly!

Also wool is the devil! Except in winter, then it's fine as an outer layer. But you'd have to be smoking crack to think scratchy, itchy wool was worth wearing in summer when you could be wearing cool, breathable cotton clothes.

For myself, linen belongs on the bed and that's it. The only place linen can look great is while living on the beach and spending money on a shirt, specifically for that, seems ridiculous.
No matter who or how many times I'm told the Panama style suit looks good, I hate it.

Wool CAN be worn in summer, it depends on the weight, amount of structuring and type of wool... Still, I simply forego my blazers and sports jackets in summer, during the daytime, and rock impeccably fitted shirts instead... That is until I can afford that hopsack blazer. 

Dry cleaning twice a month? That's nearly 80 bucks a month for me, brother. A man needs to know how to hand wash and iron his garments. Just pop on a flick and watch it while you iron.
I'm only prepared to dry clean once a month.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2017, 10:47:48 PM »
Lifehack

Stand on a nice thick yoga mat during long ironing sessions, no more sore feet.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2017, 11:43:19 PM »

For myself, linen belongs on the bed and that's it. The only place linen can look great is while living on the beach and spending money on a shirt, specifically for that, seems ridiculous.
No matter who or how many times I'm told the Panama style suit looks good, I hate it.

Wool CAN be worn in summer, it depends on the weight, amount of structuring and type of wool... Still, I simply forego my blazers and sports jackets in summer, during the daytime, and rock impeccably fitted shirts instead... That is until I can afford that hopsack blazer. 

Dry cleaning twice a month? That's nearly 80 bucks a month for me, brother. A man needs to know how to hand wash and iron his garments. Just pop on a flick and watch it while you iron.

I can do it, but my time is worth more to me than that.

I do a weekly dry cleaning run, but I wear wool trousers every day. 2500 won a pair. Shirts are 900~1200 depending on the cut.

This time of year I can't re-wear much, so it works out to 3500 a day... less specials. That is less than a cup of coffee.

Lifehack: The time you are not on the clock should be valued at AT LEAST your OT rate.  If you can contract out, do it!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2017, 11:47:49 PM »
Lifehack

How long are you ironing for, Jesus Christ. hahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 05:27:57 AM »
Game show and cereal enthusiasts

Recreate the madness at the end of The Crystal Maze by quickly picking up all the raisins in your muesli. But for every oat you pick up, deduct a raisin

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 07:02:01 AM »

I can do it, but my time is worth more to me than that.

I do a weekly dry cleaning run, but I wear wool trousers every day. 2500 won a pair. Shirts are 900~1200 depending on the cut.

This time of year I can't re-wear much, so it works out to 3500 a day... less specials. That is less than a cup of coffee.

Lifehack: The time you are not on the clock should be valued at AT LEAST your OT rate.  If you can contract out, do it!

Unless you're cool with replacing your shirts often, excessive dry-cleaning will decrease the lifespan of those puppies.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2017, 07:08:49 AM »
Lifehack

How long are you ironing for, Jesus Christ. hahaha

I do a large shirt and trouser load every fortnight, takes about 2hrs or more to iron everything. Popping on a flick makes the job go faster.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2017, 07:29:21 AM »

Unless you're cool with replacing your shirts often, excessive dry-cleaning will decrease the lifespan of those puppies.

Of course, excessive anything should be avoided, but the idea that dry cleaning is worse for clothes is a contentious one.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 07:32:20 AM »
I generally try and buy clothes that won't wrinkle. Also I have a steam iron and a well trained man.  :P
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 07:57:44 AM »
It takes 10-15 minutes to iron a shirt properly with a household iron and board, so four shirts an hour.

If you don't consider your time worth more than 3,960 KRW an hour, it might make sense to continue ironing at home.

That said, it's a no-brainer for most...Cleantopia.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2017, 08:15:16 AM »
It takes 10-15 minutes to iron a shirt properly with a household iron and board, so four shirts an hour.
If you have some sort of crippling physical disability.

How do you iron peacn? find some flat sided rocks on the beach. Heat them in a fire pit for 8-12 hours. Then use them to iron your shirts.

#lifehack
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
My favorite one...

Open pistachios with the shell of one you've already eaten, like so:

Better:

Nah. Those taste different. I don't know if there's a difference in the cooking process or if it's just a mental thing, but eating pistachios from the shell tastes better to me than buying them pre-shelled like that.

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2017, 08:25:20 AM »

If you don't consider your time worth more than 3,960 KRW an hour, it might make sense to continue ironing at home.

That said, it's a no-brainer for most...Cleantopia.

Haha what? It probably helps if the iron is hot  :laugh: There is no reason a shirt should take 10-15 minutes to iron. Pro tip: you don't need to iron every single wrinkle out.

Offline annataleen

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2017, 09:31:16 AM »
Get a business card of a restaurant near your place. Use it as a reference point for taxi drivers that don't understand where you live (or if your Korean isn't good!).

This worked wonders for my at my first place in Korea. I live in a new area and the taxi drivers didn't always know all the neighborhoods because they were being built so fast. I got a business card from the restaurant on the first floor of my building. It had a map on the back. I would just hand that to the taxi driver to show them where I need to go. Sometimes it caused a bit of confusion, especially late at night when the restaurant is closed (they would try to tell me it is closed) but overall it worked out well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:19:53 AM by annataleen »

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »

Of course, excessive anything should be avoided, but the idea that dry cleaning is worse for clothes is a contentious one.

Everything in moderation, except for ironing. **** that ****! PABST BLUE RIBBON!!!
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2017, 10:35:03 AM »
Get a business card of a restaurant near your place. Use it as a reference point for taxi drivers that don't understand where you live (or if your Korean isn't good!).

This worked wonders for my at my first place in Korea. I live in a new area and the taxi drivers didn't always know all the neighbors because they were being built so fast. I got a business card from the restaurant on the first floor of my building. It had a map on the back. I would just hand that to the taxi driver to show them where I need to go. Sometimes it caused a bit of confusion, especially late at night when the restaurant is closed (they would try to tell me it is closed) but overall it worked out well.

+1

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2017, 10:35:11 AM »

This worked wonders for my at my first place in Korea. I live in a new area and the taxi drivers didn't always know all the neighbors because they were being built so fast. I got a business card from the restaurant on the first floor of my building. It had a map on the back. I would just hand that to the taxi driver to show them where I need to go. Sometimes it caused a bit of confusion, especially late at night when the restaurant is closed (they would try to tell me it is closed) but overall it worked out well.

LOL Korean addresses. Even Koreans don't understand them, they understandably just go by intersection names and landmarks because Kimchi Street 44th Alley 451, which is logically located in between the houses at Kimchi Street 44th Alley 5 and Kimchi Street 44th Alley #9005, is pretty goddamned hard to find!

To get to my house I have to tell taxi drivers the name of a market which is supposedly at the end of my block. Maybe 50 years ago there was a market there, but now there's just a bunch of college student bars and restaurants, a grocery store, and a dirty ddeok store. Somehow all the taxi drivers know of this market and they always take me straight there. I would have never known about this mystery market if the teachers who previously had my apartment hadn't told me about it.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

donovan

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »
I think this thread requires a nod to the Original Life Hack, Steve Brule: