March 27, 2019, 06:59:53 AM

Author Topic: Scene It Game! (very fun for all grades)  (Read 18116 times)

Offline natmossy

• Veteran
Re: Scene It Game! (very fun for all grades)
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 01:55:45 PM »
I love this activity!

The way I handled it in sixth grade (just did the first one) was for each team to write their answers on a whiteboard.  I did four or five questions per scene.  Then after they answer ALL the questions, we checked them and gave a point for each correct.

I changed up some of the movies and dl'ed the clips to a folder so I'm not sure you want to go chasing them down.  Anyway, my three:

Thank you!

I plan on playing with second and third grade middle school.

Offline zapata

• Waygookin
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 07:50:57 AM »
I used to use Avidemux to convert to .avi, then Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 to convert to .wmv. I had to go through this complicated process because Avidemux can't convert to .wmv, while Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 doesn't work with .mp4 files. This results in low quality and big file sizes; neither of which are good but still workable.
Recently, I found a MUCH better program called Freemake Video Converter. Beware though as I'm 95% sure it installs crapware onto your computer as well, so I only use it at the work computer since I don't care about it; that and it has a ton of security software to block that stuff anyways. I haven't had any problems so far after using Freemake for 1+ months though so doesn't seem that bad to me.
Freemake has a much easier to use interface and converts directly from .mp4 to .wmv, while also hardcoding subtitles in if you have them (that's how I added the subs), resulting in higher quality videos than the method before since you're not converting twice. It also lets you queue videos compared to Avidemux, so you can do several videos all at once rather than one at a time. They'll add a 3 second splash to both the beginning and end of the video, which you can trim off on ppt.

Thank you so much! You've really helped me out.
I now use an online converter, but I do have to download them one by one. Just in case, here's the link; https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/video-converter

Offline zapata

• Waygookin
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 07:53:55 AM »
Thank you for posting this.  ;D

For those who have played this in their middle school classes, did you just let whoever get the first correct answer get a point? Or, did you have them use whiteboards and each team can write an answer? Doing it that way allows everyone to participate, but might be harder to get a winner...IF they all know the answers.  :wink:

I've tried both ways, and I actually prefer it when they all get to answer on a whiteboard (I give them about 10 seconds). Participation is way better, and in all my classes, there's still just one winner.

Offline leenhj

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 09:37:48 PM »
It's really amazing!! I wonder how you made it!

Offline suminkim

• Newgookin
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 09:28:41 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Thanks a lot! Awesome game :)

Offline andyman73

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 08:00:42 AM »
I used to use Avidemux to convert to .avi, then Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 to convert to .wmv. I had to go through this complicated process because Avidemux can't convert to .wmv, while Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 doesn't work with .mp4 files. This results in low quality and big file sizes; neither of which are good but still workable.
Recently, I found a MUCH better program called Freemake Video Converter. Beware though as I'm 95% sure it installs crapware onto your computer as well, so I only use it at the work computer since I don't care about it; that and it has a ton of security software to block that stuff anyways. I haven't had any problems so far after using Freemake for 1+ months though so doesn't seem that bad to me.
Freemake has a much easier to use interface and converts directly from .mp4 to .wmv, while also hardcoding subtitles in if you have them (that's how I added the subs), resulting in higher quality videos than the method before since you're not converting twice. It also lets you queue videos compared to Avidemux, so you can do several videos all at once rather than one at a time. They'll add a 3 second splash to both the beginning and end of the video, which you can trim off on ppt.

Oh yes. I use Freemake. I think they are no longer free :(  (The splash is 'new', sadly). But it works very well for youtube (but not for run of the mill videos on sites, as far as I know). Many customizable options, including target file size, audio only etc.  But, You have to be VERY careful during the install to check CUSTOM install and uncheck the boxes. Sometimes they hijack your browser, trash your open tabs and set your search engine to yahoo.kr (exactly like Microsoft does if you download PPT or WORD viewer programs without being careful). 

Thank you for sharing. I will share what I know and hope my experiences can be helpful to others.

Offline ranjin11

• Newgookin
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »
Very Nice!

Offline jlehmke

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 10:36:04 AM »
Using this with high school. 

They like it!

Offline yiseul

• Newgookin
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »
Fantastic! :smiley:

Offline czjones37

• Newgookin
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »
Can't wait to play this! Thanks a lot:-)

Offline elrocio07

• Newgookin
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »
THANKS ;D

Offline jjl90093

• Waygookin
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2017, 07:19:43 PM »
This seems like something my kids would like. Thank you!!!

Offline bagette

• Explorer
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 07:39:40 AM »
great! I'll use your materila in my class! have a nice day

Offline seantheman

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2017, 06:46:11 AM »
Am I an idiot or is there something wrong that I can't see download links for attachments anymore ?
been a while since I visited waygook mind

Offline zapata

• Waygookin
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
Have you paid? Waygook is unfortunately not free anymore, so you won't be able to see the attachments unless you pay.

I've decided to still upload here even though they're profiting from my work (and without warning) because I know how hard it is for teachers.

Offline Amye

• Explorer
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2018, 01:13:25 PM »
Thank you so much! I am teaching grade 1 for winter school right now so I picked out the kiddy ones that they might like and made one for them! (It is also a Christian school so we cannot show Harry Potter or magic T_T) Hope others can use this for their wee ones! ;D

Offline seanbg

• Newgookin
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »
I used it in a Chinese middle school is was a hit! I will use it again next year sometime probably.

Offline metzy244

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
Great game!

Here's a version with the videos directly embedded into the slideshow. Using Google Drive b/c it's 200MB & I don't wanna blast the waygook.org servers.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B285_HiM9pEUNnNwRkJ1NGpfYVk
not all heroes wear capes

Offline Teacher-k

• Newgookin
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2018, 01:02:27 AM »
how can i download your amazing material? that must be interesting, but i can't find it. there is just link to youtube.

Offline Park Eun Mi

• Explorer
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »
Amazing! Thank you.