February 17, 2019, 01:32:05 AM

Author Topic: Vikings Wharf Lobster Buffet  (Read 4329 times)

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
Vikings Wharf Lobster Buffet
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:03:24 AM »
i'm going to eat here next month.  already booked it.  has anyone here ate at this place?  the website looks awesome terrific, but want to get a persons opinion

http://www.ivikings.co.kr/akg/en/storetype/wharf.asp

there is the link above if anyone else wants to check it out

$100 a head!! :cry:

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: Vikings Wharf Lobster Buffet
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »
  I have never been there. Lobster buffets tend to limit consumption by overcooking of the product.

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 11:29:22 AM »
Most lobsters come from Canada so it should be $100 a head Canadian or 83,000won. $100 American dollars is a ripoff!

Looks like a gimmick restaurant to cater Koreans with heavy wallets.

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:31:26 AM »
man...im just hoping it looks like the pictures.  i need to go into this with my naivete eyes.  yeah that price...

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »
100 bucks a head and they can't even spell 'rib' correctly

edit: or 'sushi'

http://www.ivikings.co.kr/akg/en/storetype/maison.asp

donovan

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »
  I have never been there. Lobster buffets tend to limit consumption by overcooking of the product.

Much of everything here tends to get overcooked. Shabu Shabu. Just a dip? No. serve frozen and cook for 10 minutes. Eat as if it's a build-your-own kimchi jjigae. Even Korean dishes. Nakji Jeongol. Octopus has a great texture after it's been stewing for a few minutes. Instead? Let it sit stewing for the entirety of the meal until it's rubbery. Even expensive Korea BBQ tends to get overcooked from lack of attention. Teas! Prepare it first and let it steep for ten minutes while you make all the other drinks. :blank: And I'll never understand why people enjoy paying luxury prices for serviceless buffet joints with advertising-filled paper placemats. Is it the self-service soda machine and automatic coffee bar? The ability to overfill your own plate with five different kinds of salad?

Sorry for the rant.... :-[

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 11:49:08 AM »
If you are talking about the one in Lotte World Mall; it's quite good.

(I and my wife are by no means lobster experts though.)

You can order fresh cooked lobsters but it's limited to 1 per person per order. So, order them right away and then keep re-ordering every time they drop it off.

That is in addition to all the stuff that is pre-prepared and placed out in the actual buffet.

We went last year (almost to the day actually) and agreed it was worth it and to go back (which we haven't yet).

I only touched the lobster but my wife tried some of the sushi and found it really hit or miss.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 12:27:30 PM »
Buffets are for variety, not quality or quantity and are best visited sparingly. Usually Indian or American Chinese works and those tend to be reasonably priced.

I figure if I'm going to hit up an expensive buffet, I might as well go to the JW Marriott and hope they have the carving station there that they advertise (as far as I could tell the only one in Korea not on base). Hopefully it's prime rib, otherwise it seems the only other prime rib in Korea is crappy ass Lawry's.

mmm...carving station...

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
If you are talking about the one in Lotte World Mall; it's quite good.

(I and my wife are by no means lobster experts though.)

You can order fresh cooked lobsters but it's limited to 1 per person per order. So, order them right away and then keep re-ordering every time they drop it off.

That is in addition to all the stuff that is pre-prepared and placed out in the actual buffet.

We went last year (almost to the day actually) and agreed it was worth it and to go back (which we haven't yet).

I only touched the lobster but my wife tried some of the sushi and found it really hit or miss.

yeah, i think this is where she said we were going.  i'll be sure to keep re ordering the lobster.   i like sushi but i'm more interested in going after the big guns.  Just glad to hear that you thought it was worth it.  kind of a relief.  i don't normally like to splurge when it comes to food but if the food is worth it, then i normally wont walk away with any regrets. 

an example of that is when i went to a steak house and ordered the surf and turf.  i left there feeling sad and empty inside.  not only did they take a lot of my money....they also broke a piece of my soul :blank:

Offline bjinglee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 07:56:41 PM »
If you want unlimited lobster and other food that's actually worth the $100 price tag, go to the buffet in the Lotte Hotel in Myeongdong or the Four Seasons close to the US embassy. 

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 08:11:09 PM »
It's funny that before last century even in America a lobster was considered a disgusting "cockroach of the sea" but now it's coveted by many.

In 1988 I took my girlfriend to the best (read: most fancy/expensive) restaurant in our hometown for our 6-month anniversary and told her to order anythingon the menu. She ordered a lobster and steak dish when lobster was out of season, so it cost $69 for the plate, and that was nearly thirty years ago when you paid $12-18 a plate at a decent restaurant. I dropped $100+ that evening (minimum wage was $4.50 an hour!) and she never even finished everything on her plate! Needless to say, I ain't too found of the sea cockroach.

Now, give me an Indian or Chinese buffet and I'll go to town;D Over 2.7 billion people know how to eat! (Plus countless restaurants outside of the two home countries.)

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 09:36:50 PM »
After 9/11, New Yorkers stayed home, so the price of lobster (and salmon) fell through the floor.

In Altantic Canada they were the two cheapest  protein sources for a few weeks.

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 09:54:04 AM »
in case anybody wants to eat here, i thought it was worth it.  I stuck to the lobsters (gotta get that moneys worth).  wife and mother in law ate a lot of the other stuff.  i would honestly go back again.    :azn:

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
 I was in Busan i noticed that all the live fish markets have very large lobsters on display.
I am asuming that it would be  a lot cheaper to go to the fish market in Noryanju in Seoul and order a big lobster. They might throw in some salmon sashimi as well.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »
Why go to "Lobster's Wharf" when you can have "Lobsters, Worf"

Offline anusface

• Explorer
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »
Every time I see this place I get an urge to go. Glad to see it's worth it.

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 08:37:49 AM »
yeah you should definitely check it out.  i'll say that we had to make a reservation to eat there though.  so if you go, you might want to check on that.   not sure if they take walk ins.  and eat a ton of lobster.  even if you are full, never stop eating lobster.  lobster!

8)

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 10:28:36 AM »
I was in Busan i noticed that all the live fish markets have very large lobsters on display.
I am asuming that it would be  a lot cheaper to go to the fish market in Noryanju in Seoul and order a big lobster. They might throw in some salmon sashimi as well.

Same. I always see those tanks with decent sized lobsters. But I've always been too scared to go lol. Has anyone ever tried lobster at a fish market?

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 10:34:50 AM »

I spent many years living in Nova Scotia where we would go to the wharf and buy lobsters, scallops and various fish right off the boat. We paid the fisherman $1.00/pound and he was delighted because that was more than a wholesaler would pay him.

I'm not convinced a lobster that has flown 1/2 way around the world would taste anything remotely resembling fresh.

Also, this whole "big" lobster thing is jive, man. Don't do it. It is definitely a case of bigger is not better (tastier) when it comes to 'sters. 1kg is the optimum size.
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 01:55:07 PM »
I've heard from a few of my Korean friends it is not very good.  But I would like to try to see for myself.  Good luck OP and let us know how it was for you.