January 24, 2019, 01:25:51 AM

Author Topic: Student takeover of Evergreen State College  (Read 13571 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: Student takeover of Evergreen State College
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »
At least four people have been murdered by white supremacists in the past couple of weeks in America

Your president is in the early stages of dementia & constantly gives away state secrets

Your healthcare is being gutted

A protester got *arrested* for laughing at Jeff Sessions

But yeah let's all piss our pants again about campus politics

Even though most of you are probably 35+ and divorced

4 people were murdered in Chicago and 50 others shot last weekend. The number of murders by white supremacists this year will be miniscule.

Trump has dementia? I thought Trump had narcissistic personality disorder. No wait, I thought he was Hitler 2.0. No wait, I thought he was a slick and clever con man who used dog whistles and the like. No wait, I thought he was a Russian puppet. No wait, I thought he was just doing this to try and getting ratings and set up a new TV network and it all got out of hand. No wait...

Health care at worst, is going to return to 2007. The horror. I was facing the bubonic plague back then until Obamacare came along.

A protester got arrested for disturbing the peace.

But yeah, ignore the calamity that is the American campus climate and focus on Trump having two scoops of ice cream or whatever.

Offline gideonvasquez

• Super Waygook
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 10:17:57 AM »
I know that these protests get a lot of play in media and online but, is this actually widespread? I mean in college populations. A few hundred students at Evergreen are protesting like this and the total enrollment is over 4,400. I felt the same way when there were protests at my university. 43,000+ students enrolled (28,000+ undergrads) with protests of a few hundred, maybe they would break a thousand. And those crowds drew protesters from all over the city, students and others. Most of the conversations I heard about them were annoyed in tone. Some classes were moved or rescheduled. I remember foot traffic was briefly diverted around the main square a lot of people have to cross to move  between north and south campus. I was pissed because the diversion was several blocks and I only had 5 minutes between a late-finishing class and a quiz section. There were about 200 people in an Occupy protest inconveniencing thousands of others.

I mostly just wonder how they find the time to do this kind of thing as college students.

Offline Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 10:23:01 AM »
Ah, eight thirty AM! Time to yell at T h e M i l l e n n i a l s and
T h e B l a c k s again on Waygook dot org!

Yes, it's almost as if this kind of thing is happening quite often this days and it represents a kind of trend or movement in American universities that could turn out to be a significant threat to Western society.

Nah, just the right exaggerating things as usual.

At least four people have been murdered by white supremacists in the past couple of weeks in America

Your president is in the early stages of dementia & constantly gives away state secrets

If you are talking about the Portland stabbing, that guy voted for Clinton and supported Bernie sanders.   So don't lump him in with any supposed whitelash.   
Bonzai!

Offline Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 10:25:15 AM »
Ever stop to think how dumb you all look feeling superior in your wisdom to a bunch of 18 year old kids?

18 yr old kids were mobilized in china to kill hundreds of thousands of landowners .
Bonzai!

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 10:31:26 AM »
Fake news.

https://townhall.com/columnists/jackkerwick/2017/05/30/white-supremacist-attack-in-portland-fake-news-vs-clear-thinking-on-jeremy-christian-n2333375

I don't think he's easy to classify.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »
If we're going to play the game that the SJWs want to play, then all of the black students shouting "black power!" should be expelled from the college.

Offline andyman73

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 10:36:13 AM »
and you're off with the 'ad hominem' (or 'ad homines?') insults. I knew when I saw the title of the thread, that a certain person would be attempting to instigate arguments. Ah! My morning entertainment! Get the popcorn and the soda and enjoy the show!!!

Ah, eight thirty AM! Time to yell at T h e M i l l e n n i a l s and
T h e B l a c k s again on Waygook dot org!

Yes, it's almost as if this kind of thing is happening quite often this days and it represents a kind of trend or movement in American universities that could turn out to be a significant threat to Western society.

Nah, just the right exaggerating things as usual.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
I mostly just wonder how they find the time to do this kind of thing as college students.

They don't that's why they were asking to be let off homework. However they're probably all doing the kind of  subjects where they just have to regurgitate the opinions the tutor told them to have.

Offline SaintsCanada

• Super Waygook
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 11:51:29 AM »
The Portland guy was saying White Power and that all the people he doesn't like need to leave America. In court. On television.

Are people actually denying he's a white supremacist? That's weird. You're weird.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:55:08 AM by SaintsCanada »

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »
Media is garbage, people take in what they want (source checked or not), they discard what opposes their view, no one changes their opinion. Waygook.org continues on. I believe that sums up this thread, on to the next one then?

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »
The Portland guy was saying White Power and that all the people he doesn't like need to leave America. In court. On television.

Are people actually denying he's a white supremacist? That's weird. You're weird.

To answer your question, no.

No one denied anything except baby arugula's attempt to link him to Trump.

Offline LDEstrada

• Waygookin
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2017, 12:28:57 PM »
Ya'll... ok. Lol, as an alumnus from Evergreen and a student faculty member, I'm still on their online forums, social media, and faculty email lists. If you wanna know what actually happened instead of this fearmongering, "Omg millenial SJW's are so stupid" nonsense that is the majority of this post than listen up.

A few weeks ago, a black student who was helping with a completely benign, non protest informational table set up with the schools permission got roughed up by the school cop. Nothing serious, but the circumstances were odd. The students that were their said that it was out of the blue, unfounded, and the black student that was involved hadn't even been interacting with whatever argument had been taking place when the cop went around the white students (Evergreen is predominantly a white school) go get to him. Suffice to say it was weird. Students were upset but they followed the proper channels and requested an investigation. School didn't respond.

A few weeks later the annual Day of Absence/Day of Presence event comes around. The Day of Absence is an event held every year where special lectures, workshops, and open forums take place and students are given the choice to attend if they want to and dismissed from regular classes if they like. Previously the special lectures and so on specifically for students of color were held off campus, while other special lectures were held on campus. This year the student union decided to switch it up, as there aren't enough spaces to hold them all on campus (the school is pretty damn small), and they wanted the locations to reflect the event's message of absence versus presence. It's fruity and touchy feely but that is what the school is built on and prides itself in. Besides, it was a unanimously decision that was viewed as inoffensive and benign by the students union and approved by the student body.

But of course not, because the real snowflakes showed up. A white professor who is not active in school functions, and had previously expressed no interest in being part of extracurricular decisions, came out of the woodwork to complain that somehow, this was reverse racism. Rolls eyes forever* He said that it wasn't fair that students interested in going to the non POC specific lectures had to go to off campus locations. Never mind he himself is not one of the poor students effected, attendance is completely optional, and the student body was in support of the decision. He saw himself as the Protector of the Whites and got on his high horse anyway.

He managed to finagle himself a spot on Fox News and that's when shit hit the fan. He spent the interview talking shit about the college and hyping up this completely non issue, cuz his fee-fees were hurt. Then out came previous complaints this particular professor had garnered while he was at Evergreen, small things that probably wouldn't have amounted to much if he hadn't come out so thoroughly half assed, things like veering off in the middle of classes to give random lectures on how black people should behave during protests and stuff. Objectionable, especially at a college that was literally founded on the liberal side of things, but mostly pushed under the rug, because who has time for that shit. If it wasn't for him making something not about him completely about him it blew up in his face.

After his fizzling fifteen minutes of snowflake-y, "stupid millennials!" interview on Fox, students requested that the administration get off their collective butts and do something. Remember an investigation into the cop incident still hadn't happened, so their was that to fuel the fires too. They held small demonstrations to put pressure on the president to at least acknowledge both situations, and the open forums that are held almost weekly at the school were more virulent for awhile afterward as a consequence of the whole thing.

In short, this post doesn't provide any info on what actually was going on at the school. And it's nobodies place but the students to decide what kind of school they want to pay out the ass to attend anyway.

If anyone is a snowflake here its those who are aghast at students having demonstrations like they've done for centuries in colleges all over the world.

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2017, 12:42:25 PM »

Here he is appearing in court:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjj2TAsOGL4

Nothing about white power.

On the bus he is recorded as saying, "I police the police. Looks like we got a Christian or Muslim bus driver, I'll stab you too [expletive], move forward, move forward MAX driver! [Expletive] you ... I'm about to stab some [expletive]"
http://katu.com/news/local/video-shows-murder-suspect-ranting-about-religion-aboard-max-train-day-prior-to-attack-jeremy-christian

It'd probably be more accurate to call him anti-Christian, but that's not the narrative the media likes.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:48:13 PM by CDW »

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2017, 12:46:48 PM »
The behaviour of the black students, that we have on video, is disgusting. They come across as a bunch of entitled children who think they're all being oppressed because (according to LDEstrada) one person was allegedly assaulted for an unknown reason and a professor (rightfully) said it was wrong to force all whites off the campus.

Black people in America really need to stop playing the victim. They faced discrimination in the past, but the tables have turned. It's now deemed unacceptable to discriminate against blacks but completely acceptable to treat whites as second class citizens. If black people are shouting things like "black power!" and forcing white people off campus, they need to think again about who the bigots really are.

Offline kojinsing

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »
So is Waygook.org becoming a Alt-Right website now?

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »
I think many of us are pretty libertarian, not alt right.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »

"People shouldn't exclude people based on race. These students are ridiculous."

Hurr durr, Alt-Right. If the above sentence is considered alt-right, then consider me alt-right.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline LDEstrada

• Waygookin
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »
The behaviour of the black students, that we have on video, is disgusting. They come across as a bunch of entitled children who think they're all being oppressed because (according to LDEstrada) one person was allegedly assaulted for an unknown reason and a professor (rightfully) said it was wrong to force all whites off the campus.

Black people in America really need to stop playing the victim. They faced discrimination in the past, but the tables have turned. It's now deemed unacceptable to discriminate against blacks but completely acceptable to treat whites as second class citizens. If black people are shouting things like "black power!" and forcing white people off campus, they need to think again about who the bigots really are.

Once again, no one forced white students on campus. the OPTIONAL lectures that couldn't fit on campus were moved off campus, and the STUDENTS (that means the students who you're saying are somehow being mistreated, agreed that since in the past years, it was the the students of color who went off campus, this year, lectures specifically pertaining to students of color would be given the on campus locations. This is one day. ONE DAY, where students of color were given preference for location choice for lectures that have nothing to do with classes, curriculum, or grades, and are simply held in case their are students  who are interested.

The incident with the cop, was, if your pardon the pun, incidental. God forbid they ask the administration to look into it and see what actually happened. Also, you're gross.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »
I have read through this thread and "the point" has thus far been lost on most, if not all.

This might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP0T9XPpe2g

Cutting public funding will solve many of these issues.

Their behavior isn't really all that shocking considering their background, but we need to find a way forward.

As it stands, I don't see how to overcome this level of ignorance and hate.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »

We're the same, it's just the batshit left that has shifted (at least on this issue).

Believe it or not, people before 2012 or whenever managed to graduate from college without safe spaces and trigger warnings. Crazy, I know.