September 23, 2018, 04:52:33 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Best Gifts from your school  (Read 8976 times)

Offline IslandGook

• Veteran
Re: Best Gifts from your school
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 01:40:16 PM »
I got a commemorative school baseball cap with the school's contact info on the side.  I'm trying to decide if that's for my benefit in case I pass out in a gutter one night and have to call in sick, of if it's the equivalent of the "How's my driving, call xxx-xxx-xxxx" signs on big trucks back home.  "Is this teacher bothering you?  Please call this number and get him deported."

The other awesome gift was a school laundry basket.  I would have felt more special about that one if there wasn't a stack of 4 unused ones right behind my desk.  I'm not sure if that's just them ordering ahead for the next few teachers, or if they think I'm going to keep losing laundry baskets for a long time before I understand how to hold onto one.

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 01:47:16 PM »
It isn't really a gift cause I don't own it, but I jokingly asked for an oven when my school told me that I had a budget for my apartment of 600,000won. They were kinda worried about me because I never requested anything special. So they bought me a nice oven that is also a microwave. No not a microwave that is also an oven. This thing is nice and was around 300,000won. I should have asked for a better mattress, but since I will be leaving this job for another, hopefully, in five months, I'll survive, but the next person will have a pleasent suprise.

Offline Odang

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 02:01:36 PM »
A day off work!

Agreed! Best gift a school could give!

Offline crsandus

• Waygookin
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »
I've been at my school for almost 3 years and so far the best two gifts have been the track suits my school gave to all the teachers. The suits have been good quality, although a bit strange in size.

Offline S.Lee

• Super Waygook
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 03:21:04 PM »
i read this thread earlier today and was like " shoot i dont really get anything"...but my head teacher just gave me a big mac and a coke :laugh: what a great way to start the long weekend !

and another teacher gave me a chicken burger from lotteria!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 03:23:18 PM by S.Lee »

Offline snafuman

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 06:09:28 PM »
Last year, for my birthday, they chipped in and bought me a pair of Nikes from the Nike store. I wondered why they asked my shoe size.

Ochodnid

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »
School:

3 x hand towels
6 pack of Soju - Cheap but effective
Various rice cakes, fruits and snacks

Teachers:

Picture frame for Mother
Boxes of Chocolate
Eggs
Custom magnets
books

Offline bobdob

• Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 10:25:58 PM »
I've been getting some pretty sweet snacks here in the Korean schools.  However, I worked in China for a bit over a year, and for one of the holidays they gave a 6 pack of beer to all of the staff in the school (likely around 50 staff altogether).  It'd be a job to get any better than that I figure!

Offline WTEChesser

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 11:03:04 PM »
Today I was given a pink bar of Hello Kitty soap.

Offline cragesmure

• Super Waygook
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 12:48:08 AM »
We always get those gift vouchers for Emart/Shinsegae.  30 000 for our birthday, 30 000 for Chuseok and 50 000 for new years.  It's pretty sweet.

Offline grover3

• Explorer
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 07:04:25 AM »
A student gave me a really nice jewelry box for helping her prepare for an English competition.  I was also given a travel size rolling suitcase from my school.  It's nice to get gifts when you don't expect them.

Offline thektulu7

• Adventurer
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 07:31:16 AM »
I've only been here a few months, but so far I've received an umbrella from the school and various small gifts from my main co-teacher, such as a little container of chocolate cubes.

Offline jepooteacha

• Waygookin
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 07:34:19 AM »
Oh my, I never, never tire of getting another set of too small, too sparkly socks. 

Seriously, though, I was given a couple bottles of Omega-3 fatty acids, and they have changed my life....

Offline CellarDoor

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 08:52:25 AM »
I've only been here a few months, but so far I've received an umbrella from the school and various small gifts from my main co-teacher, such as a little container of chocolate cubes.

You get gifts from your co-teacher?  Nice! :)  I guess mine did bring me a sandwich once!  Can't go wrong with chocolate.  Anyone else get anything interesting?  I've gotten several boxes of rice cakes from students' parents or newlywed teachers.

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • E2 Visa High School, 5 years
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 08:59:38 AM »
I just received a 100,000 won gift card for Kolon Sport. The intention was for all the teachers to buy something for sports day this year, but they were late handing the cards out, so now it's just for whatever I want from there. Pretty great, I think.

My husband usually gets a Chuseok gift set each year, once being garlic juice and another time a ton of tuna cans. He also sometimes received boxes of produce, since his former school was out in the country.