September 25, 2018, 04:54:28 PM

Author Topic: Do you teach the difference between England and the UK?  (Read 4421 times)

Offline lazerbullet

• Veteran
  • Welcome to ghost time
Do you teach the difference between England and the UK?
« on: March 17, 2017, 06:58:07 PM »

Obviously the two are different things. But Koreans use the same word for both, and the word 'England' appears next to the Union Jack ubiquitously. It frustrates me no end.

Do you teach your kids that this is incorrect?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Re: Do you teach the difference between England and the UK?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:01:45 PM »
Yes I've been to a lot of schools where they have the union jack on the wall next to a sign saying England. Of course I wouldn't expect any Korean kids to know or care about the difference but you'd think Korean English teachers might have bothered to suss it out. I remember my French teachers at school were experts on everything French and seemed to love talking about the culture. 

As for teaching it, I'd only go out of my way to explain the difference if I was teaching a culture class or students about to go to the UK. Being English it doesn't really bother me but it'd be interesting to hear whether Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish get the hump.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:05:04 PM by eggieguffer »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »
kids generally don't give a shit, but it always surprises me how some kids know the distinction.

i'd only bother with adults if it came up at some point. they usually seem quite interested (which is probably why it is being discussed), and you get that nice 'aha' moment when you explain the formation of the union jack

otherwise, no

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »
Absolutely, I did it this week with the "I'm from Canada" lesson, with a well designed PPT it takes 30sec to explain.
I also did a very brief history on how South Africa was founded, with it being a British and Dutch colony for hundreds of years. I used this as an explanation as to why not every South African is black and why South Africans speak English, I also showed the old South African flag (which has the Dutch flag and Union Jack on it) to illustrate the point.
Certainly, a few kids couldn't give a crap, but the majority of the class's face light up with a big 'aha' as the mystery they might have been pondering for a while has finally been solved.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »

I also did a very brief history on how South Africa was founded, with it being a British and Dutch colony for hundreds of years. I used this as an explanation as to why not every South African is black and why South Africans speak English,
yeah, i can imagine this going over well.

willing to share the ppts? if it ever comes up in my classes, it would be nice to be able to quickly and effectively explain

Offline Horsey

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 10:41:38 PM »
I do. Why not say you are from the UK, or British?  Students should know that from the Olympics anyway. To show a British flag and call it England's flag etc is just false. It's not that complicated and I don't wanna falsify fundamental facts just to dumb things down.

Besides, in my mind England is 잉글랜드 and the UK is 영국.

Offline Aurata

• Expert Waygook
  • Je regrette rien
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 11:56:36 PM »

Obviously the two are different things. But Koreans use the same word for both, and the word 'England' appears next to the Union Jack ubiquitously. It frustrates me no end.

Do you teach your kids that this is incorrect?

I enjoy teaching it because I enjoy history and Koreans seem fascinated by it.

If you teach adults, it is worth devoting a lesson to it because there is so much in this one topic that is useful and that Koreans can relate to.

For example, if you teach the history of how the English language came to be, Koreans are intrigued that English was practically banned after the Norman conquest and French took precedence. It also explains all those silent letters and so on.

Koreans are also entranced by the history of how the different nations became united (military conquest in the case of Wales, intermarriage between the Stuarts and Tudors in the case of Scotland, and colonisation (Ireland).
Imagine your Korea...

Offline chrisinkorea2011

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 06:23:47 AM »
For the higher students, I do. I like to inform them that the United Kingdom doesnt just consist of England but multiple countries which usually gets surprised gasps like England is the only one there.
Since I am American, I also like to teach basic differences in spelling and terms since some students will say "zed" or "z" and others will get that confused look.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 06:38:05 AM »
I do. Why not say you are from the UK, or British?  Students should know that from the Olympics anyway. To show a British flag and call it England's flag etc is just false. It's not that complicated and I don't wanna falsify fundamental facts just to dumb things down.

Besides, in my mind England is 잉글랜드 and the UK is 영국.

It is complicated. There are lots of terms to explain, like the difference between Britain, Great Britain and Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It also gets a lt more complicated when you teaching it to adults and one of them asks why Northern Ireland exists.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »
Being English it doesn't really bother me but it'd be interesting to hear whether Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish get the hump.

I've heard about how the Welsh get the hump.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 12:17:24 PM »
The books have it wrong, so we corrected it during lesson one.

That said, we don't depart from the curriculum to teach an in-depth lesson.

Most of my students know the flag of England from the scavenger hunt we do, and some boys know it from soccer.

Anytime, the book has an error, we correct.  Don't you?

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 09:01:59 PM »

I also did a very brief history on how South Africa was founded, with it being a British and Dutch colony for hundreds of years. I used this as an explanation as to why not every South African is black and why South Africans speak English,

willing to share the ppts? if it ever comes up in my classes, it would be nice to be able to quickly and effectively explain
These are the slides I use in the fifth grade lesson.  The third slide has the Republic of Ireland flag on it, to distinguish that, as well.  REMOVED
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:37:49 PM by Mr C »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 09:15:37 PM »

These are the slides I use in the fifth grade lesson.  The third slide has the Republic of Ireland flag on it, to distinguish that, as well.

Just curious but why is there a glass of what looks like lager in the Irish box? Irish lager is about as bad as Korean by the way. I guess a glass of Guinness would be more appropriate, even though stout actually originated in England. It's also a bit confusing that the Irish flag in the box is different from the Irish flag that made up part of the union jack (St Patrick's cross)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:22:15 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline kimchiyum

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 09:43:50 PM »

These are the slides I use in the fifth grade lesson.  The third slide has the Republic of Ireland flag on it, to distinguish that, as well.

Just curious but why is there a glass of what looks like lager in the Irish box? Irish lager is about as bad as Korean by the way. I guess a glass of Guinness would be more appropriate, even though stout actually originated in England. It's also a bit confusing that the Irish flag in the box is different from the Irish flag that made up part of the union jack (St Patrick's cross)

I think by having a section on Ireland in your PPT on the UK confuses things even more Mr.C. And eggieguffer- all Irish alcohol is top class. They know their stuff. Are you sure you didn't try something else by mistake?? You should take a road trip to Ireland and try out all the local varieties.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 10:29:11 PM »

I think by having a section on Ireland in your PPT on the UK confuses things even more Mr.C. And eggieguffer- all Irish alcohol is top class. They know their stuff. Are you sure you didn't try something else by mistake?? You should take a road trip to Ireland and try out all the local varieties.

With all due respect, once you get out into the sticks in Ireland, it's generally  Guinness, Smithwicks or Harp lager (also made by Guinness) . For myself, not being a big stout fan it's a choice between a watery fizzy pasteurised 'ale' or a lager that's on a par with Cass. Your average English pub will probably have a couple of real ales plus all of the above, plus more.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:31:06 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline englishteacher2016

• Waygookin
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 07:29:39 AM »
I taught my students about the UK last week, and then my coworker proceeded to explain to them that the republic of ireland was part of the united kingdom.

I contemplated telling her that that would be like calling Korea part of Japan, but I decided to hold my tongue.   8)

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 07:42:06 AM »

I don't want to get into the beer debate--I like it all, pretty much--but the flag thing shouldn't be confusing.  Surely the teacher can take a moment to discuss the two Irelands, the one in the UK being the Northern one ...

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 08:13:49 AM »

I don't want to get into the beer debate--I like it all, pretty much--but the flag thing shouldn't be confusing.  Surely the teacher can take a moment to discuss the two Irelands, the one in the UK being the Northern one ...

Only the flag in your PPT isn't the Northern Irish one. There are actually three flags. The diagonal St Patrick's flag in your PPT from when Ireland was united and was incorporated into the Union Jack, the tricolour representing the republic of Ireland from after the Irish civil war and the ulster flag of Northern Ireland, which looks like the English flag with a hand and crown.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:18:39 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
Certainly!  Though on a very basic level and just if there's a relevant lesson regarding countries/flags-- I simply show a PPT slide that shows the different flags that make up the Union Jack and then they all come together.  Whether they will remember the distinction is another story altogether but students seem to like it (I see the "aha!" moment in their faces). 

Offline Falling_Sky

• Super Waygook
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 02:12:35 PM »
Absolutely, though my co-teacher looked more surprised than my students ^^