September 23, 2018, 08:23:49 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Is it "worth it" to visit home for a week?  (Read 3510 times)

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
Re: Is it "worth it" to visit home for a week?
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
some people still seem to be attached to their parents by their umbilical cord. had a girl in my city recently who went home every single vacation. she was here for 2 years, so went home 3 times and used her winter vacation to leave korea and go back home for good early.

i mean, you've got thailand, japan, taiwan, china, the Philippines, singapore, malaysia right on your doorstep, will probably never have all that this close again and you choose to go back home every vacation to a place you're going to live in for the rest of your life once your 2 years are up? wow.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 08:25:39 AM »
^In her case, it's probably a miracle she went abroad at all. I understand being homesick to a degree, but if you're adventurous enough to move to another country, why not actually explore the other countries nearby?

My first year I went a little travel crazy and hit up several SE Asian countries.  And I would happily go back again.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 08:46:33 AM »
On the issue of weddings again...

My brothers will both be getting married in the next couple of years.  They're my brothers and obviously I love them, but...I really don't want to go home for their weddings.  That's two seperate trips, pushing a thousand quid each time.

Someone tell me that I'm not a horrible person  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 08:51:54 AM »
Work won't let you take the time off, ask your brothers to please understand your unique situation  :wink:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 09:13:35 AM »
Work won't let you take the time off, ask your brothers to please understand your unique situation  :wink:

Haha  ;D

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 09:59:55 AM »
some people still seem to be attached to their parents by their umbilical cord. had a girl in my city recently who went home every single vacation. she was here for 2 years, so went home 3 times and used her winter vacation to leave korea and go back home for good early.

While I agree for two years it is a bit stupid to go home three times, I don't think wanting to go home to visit parents is really that dumb especially if they are getting old as my parents are.  In five years they may not be here anymore, so I want to spend time with them when I can.  I add in trips around Europe as well when I go home so it is never usually just the one country.  In the end, it depends on your priorities, I would regret not seeing my parents while they are here more than not travelling to countries around here.  I can always visit countries after they've gone.  But everyone is different I suppose. 

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 10:03:19 AM »
Since the OP didn't mention cost, but just jet lag, that's probasbly not their chief concern.  Either they are ok with the cost or have someone willing to splash out for it or use their air miles for them.  I've done a week overseas at both home in Toronto and in London.  Both times I felt it was enough time to enjoy myself and feel I had a decent break.  They key was that I could do the flight to my destination in one leg.  Any stopovers and I wouldn't be as willing.

And The Arm, you're not a horrible person.  Just a tightwad.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »
We visit home every 6 months and take a "proper" vacation once a year.

Not sure why some would think that odd...

We would never spend our vacation time HERE.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 10:11:26 AM »

While I agree for two years it is a bit stupid to go home three times, I don't think wanting to go home to visit parents is really that dumb especially if they are getting old as my parents are.  In five years they may not be here anymore, so I want to spend time with them when I can.  I add in trips around Europe as well when I go home so it is never usually just the one country.  In the end, it depends on your priorities, I would regret not seeing my parents while they are here more than not travelling to countries around here.  I can always visit countries after they've gone.  But everyone is different I suppose.

A very good point.  It all depends on priorities. 

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 10:37:36 AM »

this girl was 23 years old, her parents are like in their 50s and still working, not even retired. they're not about to kick the bucket anytime soon. it's nothing but the good old 'umbilical cord' syndrome. people who have never lived outside their own house.

if your parents are so old that they could die at any moment you shouldn't be in korea. go home and spend actual time with them, not seeing them for a week or two every 6 months time.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 12:02:55 PM »
^In her case, it's probably a miracle she went abroad at all. I understand being homesick to a degree, but if you're adventurous enough to move to another country, why not actually explore the other countries nearby?

My first year I went a little travel crazy and hit up several SE Asian countries.  And I would happily go back again.

The first ESLers were advanturous.  Then came the recession of 2009.  No jobs, escape the recession.  Now there's a sort of recovery, but uneven.  Many coming here reluctantly perhaps.  But, I agree taking a vacation home every six months is odd.  That's a bit extreme.  Maybe do it once a year for a couple of weeks or every two years for 3 weeks or something.  I usually end up home very 4 years or so and that's just because of debt hell.  I prob would have done it every two and that's only because the summers back home are way way better than here. 

If I had a hakwon and had a foreign teacher or staff working for me, I'd be out of here every July and August with a cottage back in the Maritimes somewhere near the seacoast.  Likewise, I'd prob have a nice place in New Zealand in January or February, if I were really rich and could afford it. 

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »

this girl was 23 years old, her parents are like in their 50s and still working, not even retired. they're not about to kick the bucket anytime soon. it's nothing but the good old 'umbilical cord' syndrome. people who have never lived outside their own house.

if your parents are so old that they could die at any moment you shouldn't be in korea. go home and spend actual time with them, not seeing them for a week or two every 6 months time.

I've known a couple of people in Korea who got actual guilt trips off their parents when they were here.  'Ah, you've left us all alone!'.  That caused a lot of stress to my friends and isn't something I can relate to.  Some parents are very happy for their children to live their lives with no interference from them, regardless of their age, but they will always support them whatever.  My parents are in their late-seventies and in very good health, but you never know.  The fact that their children include their parents in their holiday time is not a bad thing, and it's just like hanging out with mates to me.  You seem to have a very black and white view of this, when there are grey areas. 

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 05:08:31 PM »
Has anyone visited home for only a week? Did the jet-lag make your trip pointless?

This would be a trip to the U.S., so there's a significant time difference.

I avoid trips back to that place, unless an employer is paying for it. Even then, my reaction being back in the states is usually oh right, this place really sucks, when can I leave?. One week is really bad because it's all jet lag, followed more more jet lag right as you get adapted. 

Jet lag, fatties, angry people, bad food, liberals, more fatties, yuk.

Offline Littobubbo

• Waygookin
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 05:38:35 PM »
I went home for 12 days last summer. I had such bad jetlag it mesed up my first few days I couldnt even eat and felt depressed. Unless you wont see your family for a long time or have aging relatives... I wouldn't recommend it. Save your  money if you're going to go home anyway.

Offline provism

• Waygookin
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 06:24:55 PM »
i'm going home in about a month as its stipulated in my contract that i get 5 extra vacation days for resigning and my boss will pay for a round trip ticket to go home. i'm stacking it with the holidays in early may so i end up getting about 9 days. i found nonstop flights so i'm hoping travel time won't be too bad. i hope its worth it!