December 14, 2018, 12:50:22 PM

Author Topic: Does Korea make crazy foreigners? Or are they crazy before they get here?  (Read 17643 times)

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Are you still trying to be funny?

If you don't know what it is, you can google it (it has nothing to do with what you stated, but has to do with the correlation of one to the other...civility to crime-rate).

Order-Maintenance Policing The Broken-Windows Theory •Developed in 1982 by Wilson and Kelling, is a philosophical underpinning of ordermaintenance policing arguing that when misdemeanor crimes (broken windows) are addressed (fixed) then major crimes are prevented

Relevant parts highlighted. Nothing about good or bad manners, which are not a crime
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:07:03 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
Do you wish to change the conversation and/or move the goal posts?

Civility and crime-rate...

Again, are you claiming that there is no correlation between civility and crime rate?

In my example, there is a direct correlation between one and the other.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Do you wish to change the conversation and/or move the goal posts?

Civility and crime-rate...

Again, are you claiming that there is no correlation between civility and crime rate?

In my example, there is a direct correlation between one and the other.

I said there was a difference between bad manners and breaking the law. Pushing on the subway is bad manners, breaking a window is breaking the law. You seemed to want to talk about order maintenance policing, which as I see it is not about civility (manners) but about breaking minor laws. If you want to discuss whether there's a correlation between bad manners (civility) and breaking the law that's another issue. I personally don't think there is always, as in a country like Korea people can generally have bad manners -pushing, spitting queue jumping etc. without there being a high crime rate.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:31:41 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
You're equating civility with the crime rate. The countries we come from have higher crime rates than Korea in many areas but generally their citizens are more civil to each other. Why is that so hard to admit?
The above are your words.

To which I asked,
Are you saying that there is no correlation between civility and crime rate?

Ever heard of the "broken-window" approach or order-maintenance?

Then, you went off the rails.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
You're equating civility with the crime rate. The countries we come from have higher crime rates than Korea in many areas but generally their citizens are more civil to each other. Why is that so hard to admit?
The above are your words.

To which I asked,
Are you saying that there is no correlation between civility and crime rate?

Ever heard of the "broken-window" approach or order-maintenance?

Then, you went off the rails.

See my edited response above

Online 02sanupp

• Veteran
People like DeMartino following me around, insulting me because I'm basically a minority.

Oh God. Oh no... now this 02sanupp is trolling me and cyber bullying me too.
Leave me alone you guys.
Is this thrilling for you two? Hurting me and trolling all over me?? It makes you feel like tough guys? Yeah? Well it's not funny. Leave me the hell alone!

and btw 02sanupp, i AM a minority. So just watch it.

Firstly, get a grip you wet towel! You have been dishing it out and then say you're being bullied when someone calls you out on your shit?

Secondly, I am not bullying you- I was stating my difference in opinion. He is not calling you out because you are a minority, it's because you're an idiot.

LOL forgive me for not understanding, but where are you going with this? I would actually disagree and say you are in the majority of clowns I see posting drivel on waygook.org

Oh and btw, I AM a minority. So just watch it.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
Returns of lost items is not as commonplace as it once was in Korea. Smartphones are stolen, not just picked up from where people left them (and good luck getting one back--those used phone stores are selling trade-ins).
I'm guessing that you're right, but it still happens more frequently than in many of our home countries. I have personally had a wallet and passport returned to me, a friend of mine had her phone returned by a taxi driver, and another had his SLR camera returned as well (also by a taxi driver). Just warms the cockles of your heart, dunnit? :smiley:

Insofar as I know, all of us here on Waygook are part of a minority. Part of the 3.4%! Wooot!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:09:12 AM by kyndo »

Online zola

• The Legend
People like DeMartino following me around, insulting me because I'm basically a minority.

Leave me alone you guys.
Is this thrilling for you two? Hurting me and trolling all over me?? It makes you feel like tough guys? Yeah? Well it's not funny. Leave me the hell alone!

Firstly, get a grip you wet towel! You have been dishing it out and then say you're being bullied when someone calls you out on your shit?

Secondly, I am not bullying you- I was stating my difference in opinion. He is not calling you out because you are a minority, it's because you're an idiot.

LOL forgive me for not understanding, but where are you going with this? I would actually disagree and say you are in the majority of clowns I see posting drivel on waygook.org

Wet towel? Is that some racist term??? Disgusting. The bully is just dialing up the assault on me. I won't back down though. I know you are used to getting your way, but you have met your match this time. And I bet you are furious that I'm a minority. Aren't you? AREN'T YOU???!
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online macteacher

• Expert Waygook

how can you even have a basic conversations of crime in this country when it seems like things are under reported. anecdotally ive had friends turned away from the police from making reports. it just doesn't seem like something that one can say certainly one way or another.

i do think foreigners aren't targeted in particular. they aren't targeted for voice fishing, consumer issues, loan sharking etc. the government hires thugs to take people out of homes and shops when new development plans happen. plenty of micro aggression in life that may lead to high rates of suicide. 

ive also heard that the organized crime of japan and korea purposely avoid troubling foreigners as it causes too many head aches and doing so helps keeps the police away.

Online macteacher

• Expert Waygook

there's also CCTV literally everywhere

Online 02sanupp

• Veteran

Leave me alone you guys.

Wet towel? Is that some racist term??? Disgusting. The bully is just dialing up the assault on me. I won't back down though. I know you are used to getting your way, but you have met your match this time. And I bet you are furious that I'm a minority. Aren't you? AREN'T YOU???!

Hahahaha, no it's a British term.
Wet Towel
a person who is boring or useless
"Mike is such a wet towel, i mean look at him he is just sitting there doing nothing."

Quite frankly, I couldn't give a shit whether or not you are a minority. As I stated before, I am a minority too. As Kyndo quite rightly pointed out, we are all minorities in Korea.

I just think you're an idiot. You're not even a good troll, but please keep trying.  :rolleyes:

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord

I sincerely hope Zola is going meta on the whole thread topic. Otherwise this is possibly one of the biggest meltdowns I've seen on the internet not from a celebrity.

From this-

Korea? This place is a country of uncivilized people. The pushing. Farting and spitting in public. Chewing with mouths open. Eating weeds and twigs gathered from the mountains. No thank you. Not for me. I prefer the civilized life.

To this-

But going by that ridiculous jean jacket I saw you in last week, you act like a goddamn peasant. If you want some civilization lessons then PM me and i'll send you some links.

Followed by this in his next post-
Ugh. Stop following me around and harassing me. This is cyber-bullying and I'm getting tired of it.
See people? This is Trump's America. People like DeMartino following me around, insulting me because I'm basically a minority.

Take the jean jacket and MAGA hat off for a second and look in the mirror at what you've become.
Firing accusations at me, demanding answers. All because I like to eat certain kinds of vegetables. Jeez. Uncivilized barbarian.

Like I said, I hope this is some sort of meta-work or even a simple troll job. I hope you don't actually think this. But then again rather than denying it or giving any signs of wink wink nod nod, Zola has apparently gone all in.

But hey, this guy is clearly with it-

Tbh i wouldnt want to come back to Korea again after living here for 8 years. I've been here half that time and I'm burnt out.

Next one looks like a drunk post, and apparently the waygook.org posters are all around him because he saw a random Asian-

I think i saw you in Haebangchon last weekend Ptolemy.
You were wearing acid washed cut off jean shorts, boat shoes, a turtleneck sweater and a knee length overcoat. You has gold, wire frame glasses and a asian style fluffy bowl cut.
You were at the table next to us talking about a similar topic to this. What's up bro? Good to see you online!

Apparently spots me-

Who would have thought that Steelrails would go from a semi Social Justice Warrior to a member of the alt right. I saw an Asian guy wearing a MAGA hat in Seoul a few weeks ago. I think that was you Steelrails. You were wearing an acid wash denim jacket with a turtle neck underneath. Ring a bell Martino? I BET it was you.

And the full meltdown-

No you are wrong. I'm actually SMARTER than I think I am. I constantly underestimate my skills and abilities, you jean jacket wearing freak. It's one of my few weaknesses.
Also, who are you to impune my hunches? They served me pretty well while I was on the force. That's right you Trump loving, turtleneck loving failure, I was on the force.
And I was busting punks like you while you were still working as a regional airline pilot. So cool your heels biitch.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=72056.0
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 11:24:43 AM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online zola

• The Legend

I sincerely hope Zola is going meta on the whole thread topic. Otherwise this is possibly one of the biggest meltdowns I've seen on the internet not from a celebrity.

From this-

Korea? This place is a country of uncivilized people. The pushing. Farting and spitting in public. Chewing with mouths open. Eating weeds and twigs gathered from the mountains. No thank you. Not for me. I prefer the civilized life.

To this-

But going by that ridiculous jean jacket I saw you in last week, you act like a goddamn peasant. If you want some civilization lessons then PM me and i'll send you some links.

Followed by this in his next post-
Ugh. Stop following me around and harassing me. This is cyber-bullying and I'm getting tired of it.
See people? This is Trump's America. People like DeMartino following me around, insulting me because I'm basically a minority.

Take the jean jacket and MAGA hat off for a second and look in the mirror at what you've become.
Firing accusations at me, demanding answers. All because I like to eat certain kinds of vegetables. Jeez. Uncivilized barbarian.

Like I said, I hope this is some sort of meta-work or even a simple troll job. I hope you don't actually think this. But then again rather than denying it or giving any signs of wink wink nod nod, Zola has apparently gone all in.

But hey, this guy is clearly with it-

Tbh i wouldnt want to come back to Korea again after living here for 8 years. I've been here half that time and I'm burnt out.

Next one looks like a drunk post, and apparently the waygook.org posters are all around him because he saw a random Asian-

I think i saw you in Haebangchon last weekend Ptolemy.
You were wearing acid washed cut off jean shorts, boat shoes, a turtleneck sweater and a knee length overcoat. You has gold, wire frame glasses and a asian style fluffy bowl cut.
You were at the table next to us talking about a similar topic to this. What's up bro? Good to see you online!

Apparently spots me-

Who would have thought that Steelrails would go from a semi Social Justice Warrior to a member of the alt right. I saw an Asian guy wearing a MAGA hat in Seoul a few weeks ago. I think that was you Steelrails. You were wearing an acid wash denim jacket with a turtle neck underneath. Ring a bell Martino? I BET it was you.

And the full meltdown-

No you are wrong. I'm actually SMARTER than I think I am. I constantly underestimate my skills and abilities, you jean jacket wearing freak. It's one of my few weaknesses.
Also, who are you to impune my hunches? They served me pretty well while I was on the force. That's right you Trump loving, turtleneck loving failure, I was on the force.
And I was busting punks like you while you were still working as a regional airline pilot. So cool your heels biitch.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=72056.0

Hang on a minute... did you hack my account?!?!

This is beyond the pale. DeMartino is hacking into the website database mainframe to find AND EDIT my posts. Painting me as some sort of crazed lunatic...

I feel like this is 1980s WWF. DeMartino and 02sanupp are Axe and Smash from the tag team Demolition and I'm some poor jobber getting bashed, trolled and insulted by these two madmen. Who will be my Hulk Hogan or Macho Man Randy Savage, to run down to the ring and breakup this completely uncalled for bully beat down?

You are unbelievable Martino. Scrounging around, collating my posts into some sort of post-modernist art piece. "Oh look what he said here! And here is another one! Behold this wretch." Totally out of control. All because I called him out for his craven Trumpian views and politely asked him to not wear the MAGA hat, he comes out and orchestrates some sort of gang stalking operation. To be honest, I'm afraid.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
I take it from this post that this is all a work. Hope its not a shoot.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend

This is beyond the pale. DeMartino is hacking into the website database mainframe to find AND EDIT my posts. Painting me as some sort of crazed lunatic...
Did he actually change your original comments, or is he just misquoting you?
If the latter... well, I do that all the time too.  :angel:
If the former...  :shocked: that's terrible! (DeMartino, could you PM me and teach me how you did that, pretty please?)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord

Dude, I copied your posts direct from other links using the 'Post History' function. No editing beyond bolding for emphasis and excerpting certain parts. I might have forgotten to use some ellipses between paragraphs, but I think its pretty much a straight quote.

You can click on the links provided within the quotations to verify them.

Also, you're the one painting yourself as a lunatic, especially after your claim that I've hacked the waygook mainframe.

Although like I've said, I'm holding out hope that this is all some sort of 'work' or meta angle by you and you have a big reveal that makes me look like a fool. I'd rather look like a fool and lose this argument and be an object of ridicule than for you to actually believe this because if you actually believe this, you need SERIOUS help man.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:21:56 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Returns of lost items is not as commonplace as it once was in Korea. Smartphones are stolen, not just picked up from where people left them (and good luck getting one back--those used phone stores are selling trade-ins).

Whether it is or isn't, it is still far more common here than other places, even if there has been an increase in smartphone theft, you still stand a decent chance of recovery where other places that thing is gone, just gone.

The Korean women I know aren't all that comfortable walking around at night. As for going out to "have fun," we've all heard the taxi driver horror stories, and I don't notice all that many women walking alone outside their neighborhoods.

No women are comfortable walking alone at night. I don't think Korea is any more safer when it comes to sexual assault, but what you describe is pretty common everywhere around the world. It certainly hasn't reached the point where women, foreign or Korean, are in mortal terror of going out to Hongdae or Itaewon or Keondae and getting smashed into the wee hours. So if there really was a massive sex crime wave, that wouldn't be the case and things would be far different.

As for "muggings, armed robbery, random shootings or drivebys, fights and general violent intimidation by gangs... carjacking" I've been in a few fights but never seen or been involved in any of the others. I knew someone in NYC when I lived there who was almost mugged, but that's it.

Well good for you. Back home my place of work was robbed at gun/knifepoint 7 times in 6 years, in a relatively decent location (good mix of upperclass homes and McMansions, but there were some projects nearby). Some b, a college student, trying to steal a pizza from the delivery driver's hands and then jumping him and hitting him. Drivers robbed at gunpoint. All the stores in the same strip mall were hit at various times as was the Subway and Wendy's across the street and the gas station next door. A couple stabbings at a club I would go to and one shooting there. A handful of people I've known murdered. A friend of mine knocked out cold for asking for ID as a clerk. A riot at my high school that brought in the entire department. A murder in the dorm at my campus. A family friend murdered by her boyfriend. The owner of the other franchise of our store murdered over drugs. Countless fights and brawls at clubs and bars, way more than I've seen here. The shooting next to my work where two dudes tried to rob someone for his drugs and one ended up getting his head blown off. People wanting to constantly pick a fight on the street. Drunk people randomly throwing bottles at passing cars. Gangs at high school that would bring guns to school or have shootings in the park.

And I haven't even gotten out of Washtenaw County with this. This is in the good part of the state. Wait till you get to Genessee or Wayne.

But yeah, some dude spit near me and I got bumped on the subway. Totally compares to all of that shit.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Truffles in Korea? The French aren't going to like that.

So sr/dm, where do you recommend for the best wild vegetable picking? I'd prefer it not be alongside a highway; I'm under the impression carbon monoxide is not good for what ails you.
If you know a good trail or a woods you can go through, anywhere off of there is okay. As far as roadside, anything that has pavement means it gets too much traffic. If you stick to the field side of the ditch a lot of times you can find asparagus or other stuff. Puffballs are great if you find em in the woods or if your neighbor gets lucky and they pop up on their lawn.

Best ever was one of my friends got a wild turkey with his bow during season while just driving to his house. Those ornery bastards sometimes get all territorial and this one decided that the road was his. Well, not after that.