April 27, 2018, 08:32:46 AM

Author Topic: Road Cycling in Korea  (Read 2281 times)

Online gogators!

• The Legend
Re: Road Cycling in Korea
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 02:27:11 PM »
Road cycling is becoming more and more popular in Korea, especially as they expand/upgrade the bike paths along the Han River. But because of the increased popularity, the paths are (very) crowded at times (One reason I like cold weather riding here--very few people out.) and accidents are common.

Some who ride here believe the roads are actually safer than the paths. They ride a few routes in Seoul such as up to Namsan Tower, a nice climb. You can take the subway out of town and find good rides that way.

As for your bike, you might consider having it boxed up and shipped to a cycling shop near where you're going to be living. If you already have a travel bag for your bike you should be able to fly it in with you without any customs problem since it's for your personal use (and used). Chris Froome brought his bike in without any problems.  ;D

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 03:58:03 PM »
I cycle in Korea. The busy areas are too be avoided but cycling in the countryside is awesome. The designated bike paths are also amazing and included in naver maps. I did the 4 Rivers bike from Incheon to Busan last year and it was one of the best things I'd ever done. Made Youtube videos about it and erraythang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j7GWz90Cdc&t=71s

When on the road keep in mind that you might get hooted at often, but I read that in Korea its not the driving complaining that you're in the way, but more of an alert that they're behind you.

All the best.
Yes.

Lots of "klaxons" to announce, nothing more.

I was accident free before coming here.

No doubt you will learn quickly or perish OP.

Offline SoC

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 10:47:46 PM »
The members in the previously mentioned Han River Riders FB group are really helpful, they'll be able to answer any queries you have.

I'm not an avid rider, but when I lived in Korea it was one of my favourite things to do when the weather was right. Being able to store your bike in the luggage hold on the city to city buses makes cycling trips really easy and cheap. I'd definitely recommend a trip out to the East coast. The stretch between Sokcho and Gangnueng is awesome.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 08:33:49 AM »
I agree with tha above poss about Jeju and the East Coast path. They are so nice.

On Jeju you can rent an actual cycling bike, but from what I have seen just around Seoul, the only rental bikes are the city bikes, which aren't the type you would take on long rides.

Han River Riders (as mentioned) has plenty of fast and long group rides that they will take on weekends. My friends just went on one last weekend that was 100km. Also, the Cycling Seoul to Busan FB page has a lot of members and plenty of people to ask questions about for the different paths. HRR is a more specific group, paid membership (though you don't have to to access their page and ask questions) but CSB is a great place for just general questions about riding.

Also, if you are into medals and awards, you should get the bike passport. From what I have heard, there are only 2 places you can buy it, and one of them is at an area in Incheon. However, it has all the paths in Korea marked; the 4 Rivers, East Coast, and the Jeju Dream path. As you ride along those paths, there are red British phone booth style boxes that have stamps in them to mark in your passport. If you collect them all, you get a big shiny medal.

As for shipping your bike, I'm not too sure about that. I have only known people who ship their bikes from Korea to home, not the other way around. You should ask on one of the groups. However, depending on your budget, craigslist and the group members will often post bikes for sale. Certainly cheaper than going to a Giant/Nara or some other bike shop.

Offline BikeGuyYangji

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »
If you are applying for EPIK you won't be located in Seoul which means there will probably be really great riding just outside the city or town you end up in.  If your an avid rider already and you are vigilant about drivers most places in Korea have great road riding with tons of nice climbs.  Also most cities have road bike riding clubs so even if you end up in a small medium city you should be able to find a group of Koreans to ride with.  Post again when you find out which city you will be living in and then people can recommend shops, riding groups and routes.

Offline hotpocket

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 02:28:44 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I've gotten in touch with a few people with some experience riding in Korea and the advice is pretty similar to what I've heard here. Aside from the obvious anxiety about Korean drivers I'm pretty excited about exploring the roads in a new country.

I'll also look a little further into the used bike market there...it's actually better than I originally thought. Being short and riding a small bike doesn't hurt.

I'll post again when I find out where I'm teaching. A rural area would be great for riding and learning the language but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about being that isolated.

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018