February 17, 2019, 02:18:09 AM

Author Topic: Female only teaching positions  (Read 16902 times)

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
Re: Female only teaching positions
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »
The strange thing is, often times places with discriminating hiring practices are the holy grail of EFL teaching jobs.

Take university for example. After being hired, you may never see the person who hired you again. He or she is much too busy. A famous blogger wrote about how in the uni classroom there is total autonomy and the boss never stops by to see what's going on inside. Landing a uni job in 2017 is super competitive. Applicants are desperate for any possible leg up they can get. The double x chromosome is a huge advantage.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2017, 10:16:30 AM »
Funny you don't so often see the "Caucasian preferred" term anymore.

Though in "the Beijinger" website you do.

It's quite common still.

Afternoon sub position (nice pay)!! (SsangMoon station (쌍문, line 4))

When: -April 14th. (2:30-7:50pm)
-April 21st. (2:30-7:50pm)
Where: SsangMoon station, (쌍문) line 4 (it takes like 10mins by bus from the subway station.
Hourly payment: 40,000won/hr.
Students: Elementary students only

Qualifications:
-Enthusiastic and fun
-Punctual (this is a MUST)
-Fluent English
-Female teachers only (Caucasians)

If interested please send your cv with recent photo and skype id for a short interview.
Thank you for applying.
Regards.

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2017, 12:06:19 PM »
 Generally speaking China is the new horizon for teaching abroad.  i spent two years there and made several observations. You will see way more non-whites holding pretty good jobs. These are international schools that offer good wages and chances for promotions. I talked to many teachers of all races genders and age groups. While discrimination exists in China. It is less of a big deal because the country is bigger and it is a market at an early stage of growth. While starting salaries are much lower there is way more growth potential with every year renewal meetings consist of discussing a pay raise.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2017, 02:47:35 PM »
But the air quality in China is terrible. Is it worth it to breathe in that toxic crap day after day just to make a few extra bucks at what is honestly a mediocre salary? Where are the decent paying clean air non (or at least less) discriminatory destinations?

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2017, 03:42:23 PM »
But the air quality in China is terrible. Is it worth it to breathe in that toxic crap day after day just to make a few extra bucks at what is honestly a mediocre salary? Where are the decent paying clean air non (or at least less) discriminatory destinations?

I have a good friend who was a well respected GEPIK teacher. Every school gave him a glowing recommendation. He was  also a certified teacher in Canada and spoke pretty good Korean. The year he turned fifty his school lost it's government funding. He eventually landed a job in Saudi Arabia. He makes 4 times what he made in Korea and takes regular vacations to Bahrain and Thailand.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2017, 08:53:26 AM »
Saudi Arabia has very polluted air. Some of the worst in the world. I would hate to live there. And like South Korea, their EFL industry is on the decline. I guess your friend was lucky to get in when he did because the good jobs there are getting harder and harder to get into.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-cities-with-the-worlds-worst-air-pollution-who-2016-5/#4-riyadh-saudi-arabia-156-gm3-of-pm-25-12

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-cities-with-the-worlds-worst-air-pollution-who-2016-5/#5-al-jubail-saudi-arabia-152-gm3-of-pm-25-11

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-cities-with-the-worlds-worst-air-pollution-who-2016-5/#tie-13-dammam-saudi-arabia-121-gm3-of-pm-25-3

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »

I have a good friend who was a well respected GEPIK teacher. Every school gave him a glowing recommendation. He was  also a certified teacher in Canada and spoke pretty good Korean. The year he turned fifty his school lost it's government funding. He eventually landed a job in Saudi Arabia. He makes 4 times what he made in Korea and takes regular vacations to Bahrain and Thailand.

Meh, I wouldn't live in Saudi for 8 million a month. Or 16 come to that. Actually I wouldn't live in saudi period. 

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2017, 09:35:44 AM »
Hot as hell. Sand blowing in your face. People praising Allah all day long. Not allowed to talk to a local woman (even to ask directions). Not even allowed to travel freely I heard. Must stay in a compound. The Saudi government and/or the employer takes your passport to hold while you are working so you can't leave the country (except for officially approved vacations stated in the contract). Not possible to pull a runner most of the time. Of every country I've been to- and there have been many- China was my least favorite. But if I went to Saudi Arabia, that'd take over the top spot, no doubt about it.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »
Anyone have an answer to this question?:

Where are the decent paying clean air destinations?

Saudi Arabia and China have really polluted air, and South Korea is getting there. It's becoming worse and is expected to continue to deteriorate as more coal burning power plants are built. So where to next? South America? The English teaching pay for NETs isn't good there anymore. Same for Europe for the most part. Possibly Turkey, but the air's pretty bad there, too. And the pay's not that great. Japan? Better air than South Korea definitely, but still can be bad sometimes. And the EFL market is getting worse every year there. Where's the best deal in the EFL industry overall now? What country if you had to pick one? Is it Korea? It might be. But the air quality is troubling. If it's going to get worse it's not worth investing to live in Korea long term in my opinion.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2017, 01:12:14 PM »

Saudi Arabia and China have really polluted air, and South Korea is getting there. It's becoming worse and is expected to continue to deteriorate as more coal burning power plants are built. So where to next? South America? The English teaching pay for NETs isn't good there anymore. Same for Europe for the most part. Possibly Turkey, but the air's pretty bad there, too. And the pay's not that great. Japan? Better air than South Korea definitely, but still can be bad sometimes. And the EFL market is getting worse every year there. Where's the best deal in the EFL industry overall now? What country if you had to pick one? Is it Korea? It might be. But the air quality is troubling. If it's going to get worse it's not worth investing to live in Korea long term in my opinion.

Singapore?

Offline Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2017, 02:42:03 PM »
Singapore- don't be ridiculous!

Vietnam's major cities can be polluted at times but escape to the coast is easy.

The demographics there are better too.

However I firmly believe most long termers in Korea cannot make the transition to another country. Especially someone like "life improvement"

They have become too use to prepaid flights, fully paid accommodation and the greatness of living in a first world country.

Make no mistake- Korea is the world's best choice for tefl.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2017, 03:22:31 PM »
Creeper1 might be right. Though declining at least slightly year by year (generally speaking overall I mean, not every single job) Korea might still be the best option. Because other destinations are gradually deteriorating, too for the most part. Competition for good native English teaching jobs world wide is becoming more pronounced. Just stating a fact here. Companies flogging TEFL courses often write on their website, "Demand for native English teachers abroad is expected to grow in the coming years" in order to drum up business to sell more certificates. The reality is those English teaching jobs are increasingly going to the locals. Bilingual locals.

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2017, 12:43:06 PM »
There are also Persian Gulf countries that are more liberal than Saudi Arabia. Take for example The United Arab Emirates and Bahrain. Both these countries pay more than Korea offer long holidays during Ramadan. These are paid holidays. Have great cuisines.
You can also grab a beer at the local Hilton legally.

Offline SanderB

• Adventurer
  • Korean ESL Teacher working at 고다 치즈타운 :) Gymnasium
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2018, 03:14:59 AM »

I work in Europe (NL) and at my last 3 schools I have worked together with a Canadian and several Brits living here. There are also IB positions available. Thing is, there is a shortage of teachers like all across Europe, but you must get a 4-year B.Ed while teaching here. My current colleagues have to start college soon and graduate within 5 yrs or risk getting fired. It won't be easy but doable I think to apply online. Hiring usually starts around April.

The top schools often prefer native speakers and the course is taught in English.

air qual. is around 20-50 ppm--10 ultrafine part.

(I left Korea as well because of the frequent monthly hwangsa episodes)
-Magister non olet- 
 but some students... :wink:

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2018, 04:33:25 AM »
My human rights have been trodden upon.

Bang ki moon- look into it please.

Actually its fairly easy to make a complaint:
http://www.humanrights.go.kr/site/main/index002

Quote from: ThomasMc
The most probable explanation is simply that the parents prefer females.

Never heard this actually articulated by a parent. Parents at my schools have usually been very appreciative and expressed regret at my leaving.

The reality is that male teachers are often more fun, active and better with the kids than females.

I think its just ajosshi school managers that prefer to hire women. They pull out the "parents" as a convenient excuse for every discriminatory behaviour they come out with.

Quote from: fishead
I am over fifty and still employed. I sometimes have trouble between jobs however I see this situation as a filter I would never want to work for someone who has a discriminatory attitude.

Good for you sir. In Seoul? Can't be easy for you given the rampant discrimination of Korean managers and principals who will constantly try to replace you with a female or younger person, no matter how excellent an employee you are.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:09:23 AM by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?