January 23, 2019, 04:59:29 PM

Author Topic: Harry Potter Camp  (Read 252190 times)

Offline toniyellow

• Adventurer
Re: Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2010, 02:46:16 PM »
I had great success with the reindeer on this page for Christmas

I'm going to do the bat or the pterodactyl (and tell them its a dragon) for Harry Potter they leaves the most room on the page to have them write a story.

http://robertsabuda.com/popmake/index.asp
But the witch, unicorn and castle fit the theme too.

Offline ssamojy

• Explorer
Re: Camp Lesson Plan: Harry Potter
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2010, 09:32:25 AM »
where did you find sequins in Korea?

Offline heatherbnm

• Waygookin
Re: Harry Potter camp
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
I think its a fun name for Vinegar. To make rubber eggs you just need to hard boil eggs that you then place in a cup/jar full submerged in vinegar for 3 days

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2010, 12:46:42 PM »
you can find sequins in small quanities at the stationary stores in front of an elementry school. I found some that came with a packet of glitter glue. You won't get a lot but it will be better than not having them possibly.

Offline Hollylove

• Adventurer
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
what movie is everyone showing? I'm doing this with three grade levels. Platinum (high level students from 3-6th grade) Gold (5-6th graders) and Bronze (1-2). I'm thinking the first movie for the kiddies, the 2nd for the gold and the 3rd for the high level students. Is harry potter popular here? do you think most students have seen them that I can show more recent movies or should i just stick with the beginning?

Offline nzaslow

• Veteran
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2010, 08:26:57 AM »
@christine57
There's one error in your Intro PPT -

A muggle is a non-magical person, not just a person raised outside of the magical world. 

Hermione is muggle born, but a witch. (There's a  bad word for this - "mudblood")
Harry was muggle-raised, but both of his parents were wizard/witch. That makes him a wizard through and through.
Petunia, Harry's aunt, is a muggle. She is not wizard born and posses no magical abilities.

Offline toniyellow

• Adventurer
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »
I'm showing clips from the 1st and 2nd movies. They were only ones I could download with Korean subtitles. I'm also teaching elementary and I think those films are the easiest.

I've been making nametags for the kids to fill out. There are some great high level Hogwarts student card activities on the internet that ask for your wand ingredients and patronus etc, but I kept it simple for low learners.

Offline mrsamandab

• Adventurer
Re: Harry Potter camp
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2010, 08:05:47 AM »
Where did the Harry potter camp idea go?  It's disappeared.

Anyways...for whoever posted the topic about potions.. I'm trying to make a shopping list and  for the RUBBER EGGS Potion it mentions you need Acromantula Venom...What is this?   I'd like to do this activity

Please send me a message
Hahaha...sorry.  It's vinegar...although, I tried this experiment at home and it didn't work too well...maybe I didn't let it soak long enough.  I guess that's why they call it an experiment.  :)  I think I'll try it with quail eggs also...they're smaller so they shouldn't have to soak as long. 

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2010, 01:51:52 PM »
Made this WKST to go with the Centars ppt from cwalton.

Hope everyone's enjoying HP camp as much as my co-teacher and I (plus the students thankfully!)

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »
Teaching Divination to my 6th graders soon so made this up pretty quick.  May want to take out the slide on Scrying, but otherwise could be helpful!

Offline Gillod

• Veteran
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2010, 02:19:04 PM »
Hey dudes. I'm gonna upload my lessons day by day here. There are a few fonts you'll need (Or you can change them in the PPTs and Worksheets)

Print Clearly: http://www.dafont.com/print-bv.font
Quicksand: http://www.fontspace.com/andrew-paglinawan/quicksand
Parry Hotter: http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=789
Lumos:http://www.mugglenet.com/downloads/fonts/
Parsel Tongue: http://www.mugglenet.com/downloads/fonts/

Okay! My schedule goes like this:

Day One, Part One: Rules, Make Owls. Part 2: Teams, Make Team Banner.
Day Two, Part One: Magical Animals, make Magical Animals. Part Two: Magic Scrolls
Day Three: Magic Exams and Qudditch.

The worksheets and text in the PPTs are geared towards 3rd graders. I'll be using it with 4th and 5th and adding more difficult games/worksheets as I go along.

Attached below are materials for Day One.

I introduce the rules and then make the kids sign the rules with their name. At the end of part 1, they'll glue the rule contract to the back of their Owl.

After the rules, students learn some new words and review letters. Again, this is 3rd grade. I usually ask them to call out some words that start with that letter as we go along. Following that, we talk about owls, then students make an owl with the template.

For part 2, I put the kids into teams of 3 or 4. I gave them a BIG piece of white paper. As a group they drew banners for their teams. So teams did better than others :) This took them quite awhile as they had to discuss, it was a good team building exercise. When class wa sover, I hung up the banners and attached the owls. At the start of every class students get their team banners, get into teams and grab their owl.

Offline Gillod

• Veteran
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »
Day Two (I'm just tyring to kill time to keep from having to work on Day 4. I'm out of ideas, heh :) ).

We review letters/words. I show students my cruddy Photoshops of Magic animals and make them guess what 2 animals make up the Magic Animal. After that, I put a bunch of animal flash cards in a bag. Each kid grabs 2 animals. Using the provided template, they have to draw a Magic Animal that is a combination of the 2 animals they received. Some of my kids turned in really amazing pictures. Some of them just doodled.

For part 2, I gave them 4 worksheets. They'll do these as a group. The first group to finish gets a stamp. This took my 3rd graders about 25 minutes. I also cut out the worksheets in the shape of the scroll- It was a pain in the butt, but it really looked great.

The font for Spell Scroll 2 & Decoder is "Webdings". It should be standard on any PC.

Offline Gillod

• Veteran
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
Day 3: Magic Exam & Quidditch

Word review, then a mixed game session. You'll need the mixed up animal cards for the Pictionary thing. This took about 20-25 minutes.

The kids liked the games, although the "Lower Level" class really struggled with the word scramble, but did really well with the hidden picture.

In my Qudditch rules I only have one ball for the game. When we played, I had 2 balls and made them race to the goal. I showed them the rules, then we played it outside before it devolved into a snowball fight.  You could turn it into an inside game, I guess.

(Just realized I left the rest of the files at home, will upload later)

Offline valium kilmer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2010, 08:26:45 AM »
Many thanks for this great idea that I have to admit I've borrowed shamelessly from.  I hope to give a good powerpoint back soon (once I can edit it in English) but for the time being, for anyone having trouble with the origami dragon (easy and difficult ones posted so far) like me - here's a really good and simple video:

Offline Cy&Leon

• Veteran
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »
http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/origami_golden_snitch.htm

this is a link to how to make a snitch. click on "Origami Golden Snitch Instructions here." my student's loved it, although I taught it for 'shapes' lesson.

Offline christine57

• Adventurer
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2010, 11:53:58 AM »
Currently blogging about my Harry Potter camp experiences. Check it out if you'd like and feel free to ask me anything!

http://sajasmom.tumblr.com/

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »
Just in case anyone is horrible with oragami like me, I used these videos. For the unicorns, i just added a horn at the end with some colored paper that we twisted.  We made dragon heads in class too after the Dragon's (care of mythical creatures) ppt.

www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-make-an-origami-paper-horse

http://www.ehow.com/video_4982741_make-paper-dragon-head.html

Also made our own camp certificates with the Harry Potter font, which you may need to download to use, but totally worth the final effect!

Offline glb0b

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »
So I have used this for my (not particularly interested) 5/6th graders and they have been fairly enthusiastic about it.

On the first day I did magical creatures using a ppt I modified from 2 of the ones posted on here. My students all wanted to do a mix of 2 animals rather and a mix of animal and man so I let them do that - some of the students opted for a mix of 3 animals.

Day 2 we did potions, again I modified one of the ppts from here. We made a potion using red cabbage juice (dragons blood), vinegar (werewolf spit) and baking powder (unicorn horn). It changes colour from pink to blue and bubbles violently when you add the baking powder which was cool. One student didn't add enough baking powder so she didn't have any secrets which the other students found odd! I also made some labels for the ingredients. The the students wrote their own potion.

Day 3 I had no electricity at school. Luckily I had printed the instructions for making a golden snitch which took most of the time and worked pretty well.

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/Origami%20Golden%20Snitch.pdf

Today we did the divinations lesson (again using a modified ppt and worksheet from here).

Tomorrow my students have to make a poster to go on the wall (not sure how that will work).

I will be teaching this again next week at a different school with 4th and 5th grade students for 2 weeks so will be adding some more activities to this.

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2010, 07:58:54 AM »
Hey guy's this thread has been so useful, full of loads of great stuff! I've been working on a Harry Potter camp for middle school and we plan to put the whole thing up here with full lesson plans, ppts, worksheets and commentry on what works well etc after we've finished teaching it. But just to add to the stuff up here before people actually start doing their camps I though I'd put the review blockblusters I just made up here.

There are two rounds, all the answers begin with the letter you click on for the question, almost all the questions are generic Harry Potter but one or two are specific to our material. Credit for the template goes to rufus, the god of powerpoint.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:43:58 AM by Rowanteacher »

Offline krtastic

• Veteran
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2011, 12:03:31 PM »
Sorry it's taken me so long to add to this. I made a workbook for the teachers that would be helping me with my winter camp. Some of the worksheets and things are borrowed, so I don't take credit for all of the workbook. I basically just made it into one unit. Hope you can get some inspiration from it.

I made one for 3rd and 4th graders as well as 5th and 6th graders since those were the two camps I am doing this year. I'll try to add more of the activities that I didn't put into the workbook later.