March 23, 2019, 12:01:40 AM

Author Topic: Harry Potter Camp  (Read 254887 times)

Offline kindenglishteacher

• Veteran
Re: Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2010, 05:41:53 PM »
Re:  Mentos

....I thought I saw it at E-mart...not sure.

Offline mrsamandab

• Adventurer
Potions book and lesson plan.
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2010, 07:59:03 AM »
Here's my potions book and a potions lesson plan.  I made the book and I'm going to give one to each student and have them mix the stuff in little plastic bowls.  I brought some of the ingredients from the states, but I think you can get most of the stuff at costco or other such places.  I borrowed the first day potions lesson from somewhere or other.  I hope it helps someone.

Offline piyochan88

• Explorer
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2010, 08:15:23 AM »
Here's my potions book and a potions lesson plan.  I made the book and I'm going to give one to each student and have them mix the stuff in little plastic bowls.  I brought some of the ingredients from the states, but I think you can get most of the stuff at costco or other such places.  I borrowed the first day potions lesson from somewhere or other.  I hope it helps someone.

thank you! this is great :)

Offline saetdal

• Adventurer
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »
Hey....does anyone know where i can get some Mentos for the "potion" that is listed in the workbook?  Or....know of an alternative?

Thanks so much Saetdal for making the workbook...thanks everyone!  Harry Potter camp is gonna rock!

Re:  Mentos

....I thought I saw it at E-mart...not sure.

The mentos are found at E-mart for sure... I found the assorted flavors, and the original flavor mentos at E-mart. And there are items at Costco...

Offline minamteacher

• Expert Waygook
  • AegNO >.<
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2010, 10:00:13 AM »
This is some fantastic work guys! As a first year teacher running my own winter camp is very daunting. However, these worksheets and power points are very well designed! Kudos!

Offline Hollylove

• Adventurer
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »
heres my divination ppt. i'm alsoing making a worksheet to go along but I'll post it later. original ppt was taken from the predictions thread but I modified it to fit this camp ^^. (fyi some of the slides/experiments don't have video because we'll be doing it in class)

Offline teacherjenni

• Super Waygook
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2010, 10:09:57 PM »
So I have a plan outlined for a 2 week HP camp, but then I was wondering, is HP even interesting to 3-5th grade kids?  Does anyone know?  I can ask them tomorrow too, but just wanted some outside input.  Thanks!

My fifth graders played a HP game during one of their lessons ("What are you doing?" - Look under the 5th grade lesson plans, it's in there somewhere), anyway, it is one of my most requested games. Also many students of mine read the books and are excited about the movie coming out this week - so yeah, it's interesting!

On a side note - has anyone thought of doing a puppet show/role play/skit? Look up www.potterpuppetpals.com (example video to follow, though I suggest this link over youtube because too many people post similar but not-so-good videos).

I don't know if you want to use the clips in class, but it would be cute to make your own puppet version!

(hehe, "I like the part where he stops moving")

Offline mroy_birdcap

• Adventurer
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2010, 01:26:01 PM »
Heres a slideshow to go with the 'My magical creature' worksheet, hope its of use.

Offline toniyellow

• Adventurer
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2010, 10:30:54 PM »
This is a different welcome letter with comprehension questions and an exercise for
writing a howler. I'm aiming at 6th graders with low English ability.

Offline Sophie555

• Waygookin
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2010, 01:27:57 AM »

Hi, I just found this amazing Harry Potter ESL workbook but I need someone to download it and post it please.
 I can't do it because I already used my free download from the site.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/34716685/Harry-Potter-ESL-Workbook

Thank you!

Sophie

Offline CFWteacher

• Waygookin
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2010, 01:37:58 AM »
Hey all! So I made some changes to the face description PPT posted by Mcfadyen (thank you!), and adapted it to play the game Guess Who! I got the idea from www.eatyourkimchi.com. It's not solely Harry Potter based, as there are Korean and American celebrities included.

The PPT explains it pretty clearly I think. You need to print off the sheets of faces and laminate them. You'll need dry erase markers for the kids to draw X's on the pictures that are not correct, and wet naps to remove the marker. Students wipe the card clean after there character has been guessed correctly. Then they start again. Leave up the slide listing potential questions throughout the game, so students can refer. This was meant for middle school students, but I'm going to try it with my grade 5/6's, a little more simplified. A great explanation video is available at:
http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/teaching-in-korean-middle-school-guess-who.

Thank you eatyourkimchi.com for the idea and great resources, and work sheet!

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:39:32 AM by CFWteacher »

Offline CFWteacher

• Waygookin
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2010, 01:43:10 AM »
I meant to upload both sheets! This one is better.

Offline eggplant_tyrant

• Super Waygook
Re: Harry Potter Guess Who
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2010, 07:48:46 AM »
Guess Who is great! My kids liked it when I played it with them before. Mentioning it reminded me of something I found online -- if you wanted a more "Harry Potter" version of Guess Who, this website has a themed playing board.

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/features/crafts/othercrafts/harrypotterguesswho

Offline Sophie555

• Waygookin
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2010, 08:32:06 AM »

Thanks for trying guys, I was able to get about 26 worksheets from the workbook. I uploaded a worksheet for 24 hours of free downloading. I got the worksheets here but you have to download them one at a time.

http://www.scribd.com/document_collections/2541438

Offline saetdal

• Adventurer
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2010, 08:37:48 AM »

Thanks for trying guys, I was able to get about 26 worksheets from the workbook. I uploaded a worksheet for 24 hours of free downloading. I got the worksheets here but you have to download them one at a time.

I tried looking for a message toolbar, but there seems to be nothing like that. I left a comment on the document. Judging by the dates on the other documents it looks like he updates the page, so we'll just wait and see.. ^^

p.s. his other workbook is having the same downloading issues... it could be set as private?

also... this man has tons of worksheets with the Harry Potter theme... click on "Load more events" at the bottom to see more documents.

http://www.scribd.com/EnglishTeacherMike
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:39:00 AM by saetdal »

Offline Hollylove

• Adventurer
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2010, 10:53:16 AM »
This is to go along with my defense against the dark arts lesson. I'm going to teach imperatives like someone else suggested then play a dueling game (back to back, take 3 steps turn and the first to say the sentence wins, the loser must do the command). I simply printed and laminated it. I used one of the harry potter fonts called hogwarts wizard so i'm not sure how it'll show up on yours. I'm then going to let them come up with their own commands and play it again using white boards.

Offline ashley.natasha

• Explorer
design love for the ppts
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2010, 11:10:37 AM »
In an attempt to keep myself busy and entertained during my deskwarming week, I'm cleaning up some of the ppts. I'm a graphic designer (in real life) and I usually don't have time to make ppts for class look better, but this week i do! I tried to leave some of the things I thought people might want to change in editable text in ppt. I mostly just designed some nicer looking text headings and cleaned up the photos and such. I'll probably do one or so a day and post them as i finish them. Take it or leave it, just another option.

This one is the Intro ppt for day 1.

Offline saetdal

• Adventurer
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2010, 01:55:08 PM »

I tried looking for a message toolbar, but there seems to be nothing like that. I left a comment on the document. Judging by the dates on the other documents it looks like he updates the page, so we'll just wait and see.. ^^

p.s. his other workbook is having the same downloading issues... it could be set as private?

also... this man has tons of worksheets with the Harry Potter theme... click on "Load more events" at the bottom to see more documents.

http://www.scribd.com/EnglishTeacherMike

I was able to contact the person that made the booklet... This was her reply... Sorry Guys...

It is not for download due to copyright issues. I created the booklet, but the photos are the source of the problem. Because not all the images are personally owned I cant distribute them for download. They are property of Warner Brothers. There were a few other things included from other websites, but they were cited at he end.

Is there anything in particular page wise you would like to use? I could potentially mail you some individual pages of a few things, but I would feel guilty allowing the whole book to be downloaded. We cant even allow our kids to buy the book because of this issue. It was provided to them for free.

Offline christine57

• Adventurer
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »
I also edited some things for the first day. I have a list of all new words and phrases for shopping in diagon alley, plus slides for practicing later.

I also re-did the welcoming letter to make it very simple for younger students and I made a ppt for Herbology class.

Also, I took the pictures from the workbook and made flashcards for some of the games.

Hope this all helps!

Offline mrsamandab

• Adventurer
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2010, 02:19:36 PM »
This is a different welcome letter with comprehension questions and an exercise for
writing a howler. I'm aiming at 6th graders with low English ability.
Thanks for these.
I love the letter and the Howler lesson!
There are a few typos/errors in the letter though.

Hogwarts will to open a new school in Korea.-No "to"
Your test results showed you can be very good at English!- This is awkward.  Try, "...showed you are very good at English."

Thanks again! 

Amanda