January 23, 2019, 04:55:40 PM

Author Topic: Harry Potter Camp  (Read 252187 times)

Offline moose

• Waygookin
Re: Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #220 on: January 24, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »
I called this "Harry Potter Missions".

Students work with their houses to complete one mission at a time. When they finish one mission, they move on to the next one. Missions include unscrambling, doing puzzles, brain teasers, naming harry potter characters, word searches, etc. Each mission is either challenging (brain teasers) or moves quickly (finding the four hosues in the wordsearch) so student participation and excitement is extremely high.

I gave each team 3 "lifelines" - SKIP the mission (it's too hard!), Do this mission LATER, or Give me a HINT!

Houses race to finish all 14 missions.

I watched the houses and decided on the next mission depending on their excitement level. If the last mission was too hard and morale was low, I might give them the "ring toss" mission (easy and exciting) to get them going again.

It took my grade 5/6s close to an hour to complete and their excitement level never waned.

Offline moose

• Waygookin
« Reply #221 on: January 24, 2012, 04:33:38 PM »
For the sorting hat, my students lined up, sat down one by one, and I put a sorting hat (or one that looked like it bought from the halloween store) on them. Then I pressed a button on my powerpoint and the speakers (the hat) will say their house name. It's just like the real thing (with a little help from powerpoint!). My students were super nervous and excited. One of them even said "not slytherin, not slytherin..." like the movie.

I recorded the sorting hat saying each of the house names from the movie, and then randomized it and put it on powerpoint. All you have to do is press play when the hat is on their head, then change the slide for the next student.

This is great because no students complained about the house i put them in. The hat decided, not me!

Offline dachiza727

• Super Waygook
  • pretty, prettyy, prettyyy good
« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »

Students work with their houses to complete one mission at a time. When they finish one mission, they move on to the next one. Missions include unscrambling, doing puzzles, brain teasers, naming harry potter characters, word searches, etc. Each mission is either challenging (brain teasers) or moves quickly (finding the four hosues in the wordsearch) so student participation and excitement is extremely high.

I gave each team 3 "lifelines" - SKIP the mission (it's too hard!), Do this mission LATER, or Give me a HINT!

I watched the houses and decided on the next mission depending on their excitement level. If the last mission was too hard and morale was low, I might give them the "ring toss" mission (easy and exciting) to get them going again.

It took my grade 5/6s close to an hour to complete and their excitement level never waned.

Could you post the answers moose?
"Iíll have a vanilla...one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got."

true dat.

Offline moose

• Waygookin
« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2012, 10:14:33 PM »

Oops, sorry here they are:)

Could you post the answers moose?

Offline anneroyster

• Adventurer
« Reply #224 on: January 30, 2012, 09:49:51 PM »
Hey, I just did a really successful Harry Potter camp for 5th and 6th graders.  I posted all my lesson plans here: http://esl-camps.blogspot.com/2012/01/harry-potter-camp-guide-post.html, and can hook you up with the supplies if you're interested.

Offline Nickjo

• Waygookin
« Reply #225 on: March 02, 2012, 09:11:06 AM »
This are my lessons from Winter 2011. I used them for 5/6 grade combined class (I work at a small school). Many of the materials can be easily modified to be easier for younger students (or if your students are higher level 3/4 graders they should work too). I had a "easier" version of these files but can't find them. If I do, I'll post them too.

I taught a 5 day, four "period" winter camp (9:00AM -12:00PM).

Day 1:
-"Welcome to Hogwarts" PPT: Gives them a a idea about what to expect during the week.

-"My name is" PPT: Picking a English/Wizard name and making name tags.

-"Shopping" PPT: students learn/review some key expressions related to shopping. ("Can I help you?"; "I want (a) ____."; "How much is it?"; "It's ___.";). It's a bit long so feel free to shorten it if you think your students will get bored.
--at this point I hand out small print outs of American money and give it to the students. They then leave the classroom in pairs/ in small groups and "shop" for items (using target expressions) with which they can decorate their wands (it's just a rolled up piece of printer paper. I found directions on this thread somewhere so I won't repost). The students really enjoyed shopping activities. I included several more on other days.

-"4 Houses Vocab" PPT: After finishing their wands, the students learn about (they learn 3 vocabulary words for each house that relate to the member's characteristics) the 4 Hogwarts Houses and are "sorted" into each house. I have a box with a hole in it. I place pictures of the four house mascots in the box and the students take turns reaching into the box and drawing out a house card. I let them trade/switch houses after the ceremony as some friends wanted to be together and I didn't see the harm.

-The 4 houses then create house posters. I made sure that they included the house name, mascot (animal), and the three vocab words that described their house's characteristics. This usually takes the remained of the day.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:07:27 PM by Nickjo »

Offline Nickjo

• Waygookin
« Reply #226 on: March 02, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »
Day 2

-"review" PPT: I start class with a review of the previous day's vocabulary.

-"Dragon Lore" PPT: This is a short story about dragons. I read it once, and then the students read it once. Then I have blocks that cover up the text and have students recall what they read.

-"Dragon Body Parts" PPT: I review body parts using a dragon. There are a few extra things that are not on a human like "horns," "tail," etc. If you are using house points in your camp, I have some chances to win points at the end of this PPT.

-"Create a dragon": I handed out small poster paper to each student and have each student draw a dragon. I also hand out sticker labels that they use to label all of the dragons body parts. I then had the students share 3-4 sentences out loud with the class describing their dragon ("My dragon is ___" or "My dragon has______".)

-flashcards.doc: I did a wand dueling game between houses to review expression and vocabulary, an idea I saw on previous posts. I printed the images out and taped them to a chair at the front of the class (one image facing each student). The students stand with their backs to the image, and walk three paces, and then turn around. Whoever says the word/expression first wins a point for their house. The cards aren't very super high quality, just copy/pasted into a word document. If you want you ou can create you own from the PPTs I have listed.

-"Action words" PPT: This is a tag game that I never used but feel free. The students review "I can ____" expressions and then play a freeze-tag game with the vocabulary.

-"HP Game" PPT: Also attached is an extra review bomb game that reviews Day 1 vocab. Didn't have time for this one either.

*Note, while most of my files are PPT, some of the files are saved in PPTX because they are more compressed than PPT (I can't attache some of the PPT files because they are too large). Sorry if your school computer can't open them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:13:33 PM by Nickjo »

Offline Nickjo

• Waygookin
« Reply #227 on: March 02, 2012, 10:46:59 AM »
Day 3

-"Magical Creatures" PPT: Students learn about some magical and non-magical creatures. A quiz at the end has house points.

-Create a Magical Creature guessing game: I have one student form each House draw a animal name out of a box/hat. They then sit at a table separated from their other house/teams. They have 3 minutes to make the creature out of clay. They can look at the final PPT slide on the previous PPT incase they don't recognize the name/can't imagine how to make it (you'd be surprised). Each house gets one guess at which creature their own member creates (not other houses' animals to avoid not trying). After a few rounds, I recycle the animals back into the box.

-"Trolls/Fairies/Elves" PPT: Students learn a dance and expression about 3 magic animals. They will use the dance/chant in a tag game.

-Trolls/Fairies/Elves tag game: After learning 3 "dances," I divide the class in two (this isn't for points and the groups will mix during the game so it's not really important how you divide them). This game is like Rock, Paper, Scissors with tag. One creature's "dance" beats another but loses to another also. I have the two teams line up facing each, and on the count of three say their chant. They then must realize if they won or lost the bout. Note: it really helps to have a poster that reads something like "Elves>Fairies" "Trolls>Elves" etc so they don't get confused.

-"History of Magic" PPT: I teach the students a little but about Harry Potter, Hogwarts etc. and include some english vocabulary. Images from the movie.
-"PotterMario Bomb game" PPT: A mario bomb game that tests the students on the history of magic stuff they learned.

-"Directions" PPT: Students practice directions vocabulary/expressions ("go straight," "turn right," etc.) which they will use in the next activity.

-"Hogwarts Map" PPT: Students receive a large blank "map" of Hogwarts castle (I printed it on A2/B2 paper or something). They also receive a line of footprints that acts as a ruler for the map. They will use it to measure how many "steps" to go in a given direction. I divide the activity into rounds (each slide is one round). I assign each House a destination/room in the castle using the PPT. They have to write down the directions (e.g. "Go straight four steps. Turn left. Go straight eight steps. Turn right.") and recite them to the class after they are done writing. The class will follow their directions on their own map (suing the ruler to check the "steps") and see if there are any mistakes.  After a few slides, the directions become more difficult as certain "obstructions" appear in Hogwarts' halls.  :laugh:

Print out the ruler by copy/pasting "footprints" from the PPT. The size of the "steps" or footprints should depend on the size of the map you print.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:17:56 PM by Nickjo »

Offline Nickjo

• Waygookin
« Reply #228 on: March 02, 2012, 11:55:24 AM »
Day 4/5

I decided to combine days 4 and 5 because my day 3 is pretty busy and my day 5 is a little thin (my co-teacher wanted to watch a movie for half the class, I happily obliged).

This activity is a whopper (shopping and potion making). It's a fun one though.
-"Potions Vocab" PPT: This is one of two "potions" classes. I teacher vocab like "stir," and "add." The last four or five slides are the "potions" the students will make following my directions.

-Making a Potion": I purchased a bunch of different sodas including but not limited to (cola, cream soda), juices (orange, tomato, grape) and other less palatable ingredients (salt, gochujang (red pepper flakes)). I rip off the labels on the sodas and place a label next to them "troll spit," "dragon tears," etc.). I also 4 matching labeled cups per ingredient (one for each house). I created a shopping list which I distributed to each house and had one member of each house at a time come and buy some of their houses' ingredients (I passed out the same paper money from Day 1). They use the same vocab from Day 1. They tell me what they want and I fill up a labeled cup of a certain ingredient for them (to avoid confusion during experimentation time). When all the houses have purchased all their ingredients, it's time to make potions. Up to you what combination of ingredients to use. My instructions started out simple and yummy, then went to more complex and gross (lots of gochujang). The students can try their concoction if they please. It helps to have a bucket handy so they can pour their unwanted potions out easily. If your students are advanced, have one or two make up their own potion and lead the class in making it.

-Bingo: Review images from the previous lesson. Have the students cut them out and mix thema round for a few bingo games.

-"Mudpie" PPT: Some potions review vocab along with a few new words/expressions. They will be making a chocolate ice cream "mudpie" (also includes whip cream, gummy worms, crumbled cookies). Same idea as the potions class but they will want to eat this one. I didn't have them buy ingredients in this activity. I would save this one for the final class.

-"Wizard Criminals" PPT: This is a repost but I changed a few things around. I teach the students a bunch of different bodily features. I then have them then complete the worksheet I created. Then I pass out the clues for each Wizard. I rewrote many of my clues so that they matched the vocabulary I taught in the PPT.

-"Tea Reading" PPT: Another activity I borrowed from a different post.  They fill out a worksheet that has various divination symbols. They write what they mean in Korean. I narrowed the number of symbols down on their worksheet a bit form the original post to make the activity easier. I created a PPT to help the students write and share about what tea leaf symbols they found in their tea leaves.

----
Enjoy! If you have problems with any of the files, let me know.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:17:00 AM by Nickjo »

Offline Banaie

• Newgookin
« Reply #229 on: March 04, 2012, 03:33:45 PM »
This lesson plan is really heavily dependent on the teacher to provide aids. So instead of spending hours in the classroom doing it I stretched it out over a week and a half and did three days where they made all the props and set up all the stations. It was really great because it used up a few more days of my English camp and the kids had an awesome time. This was a really great idea! Loved it and so did all my students! I also ended the camp with them watching the movie (two days) so in total it took up two full weeks of camp. It was great!

Offline Suz-goose

• Super Waygook
« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »
Whoa, you guys have done a great job. My students and I thank you ;D. I borrowed a lot of stuff but I made some too. For my herbology class we are going to plant kidney beans in glass jars, the teams' that grows the most will get bonus points. For my dragons class we are going to make a shadow puppet show. I also made a decentish duel ppt. Everything I mentioned here is on the ppt too, if you want to use it go ahead.

Offline orionespy

• Newgookin
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »
What a great idea that was.  Do you think it could still be useful for the children now that the Harry Potter movies are finished?

Offline sass

• Veteran
« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2012, 02:20:03 PM »
Harry Potter Mini books I found somewhere:

1. Potions Book
2. Tom Riddles' Diary
3. Yearbook

Also, an Owl Post Template
4. Owl Post

Offline txMichelle

• Adventurer
« Reply #233 on: July 31, 2012, 02:01:01 PM »
All of these PPTs and worksheets use the special Harry Potter fonts. I used ones called: Harry P, Lumos and Starry Night. Just google them and download the zip files.

I have attached my introduction PPT. If you want the Harry Potter theme song to play in the background of the PPT, you will need to save the song file in the same folder.

The Journal worksheet is for a reflection that my students wrote at the end of the day about what they learned. In our Herbology class, each group grew two plants- one in the shade and one in the sun. They had to check daily to see which was bigger or if there was any difference, write about it on the Plant Checkup worksheet and draw pictures of the plants.

For Herbology, they also had to design their own magical plant and write about what special attributes it had. In one of my classes, I posted their drawings on the wall without names and let the students vote for their favorites.

In an earlier post, someone included a PPT with the Shoemaker Elves story. I made this "Find the Past Tense verbs" worksheet to go along with that PPT.

There are two files which are blank templates for the students to make their own comics. With my 5th & 6th graders, they had to narrate using the past tense. My 3rd & 4th graders did it with present continuous.

For Care of Magical Creatures, they each had to draw a creature and then write a description below. Then they read their descriptions to their partners who had to try to replicate the drawing in Box 2, only by listening to the first partner.

For Potions class, we made Patbingsu. Intro PPT and recipe attached. Also Patbingsu wasn't too hard to make. Tip: Freeze individual milk cartons for each students so you're not trying to shave your own milk ice. They can use a spoon to chop it up inside the carton and then pour it into a bowl. Make sure you take cartons out of the freezer at least 15 min. before starting project.

The "Potions" PPT introduces some cooking words like stir, add, pour, etc. Then has a recipe for "Troll Snot" which is a mix of cornstarch and water that they can do experiments with. I had them first guess what would happen when we mixed the ingredients and then we tried it out. THERE IS AN ERROR IN THE PPT. IT IS 1 CUP CORNSTARCH AND 1/2 CUP WATER. This video clip explains the experiment:    I showed a few clips from it to my students and they loved it. Especially the part when the men were running across the liquid.

Offline txMichelle

• Adventurer
« Reply #234 on: July 31, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »
I also used a Harry Potter Guess Who game based on one I saw on EatYourKimchi: http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/teaching-in-korean-middle-school-guess-who/

The PPT explains the rules and the last slide with a white background is meant for printing out the game boards. I laminated mine so the kids could draw on them with white erase markers and then play again.

The Word document is to print out a set of name cards for each pair to draw their "person" from.

Offline txMichelle

• Adventurer
« Reply #235 on: July 31, 2012, 02:06:20 PM »
We gave certificates of completion to my students at the end of the last day. Document attached.

I have also attached a Summer Camp banner I made for the door of my classroom.

Offline sbeau

• Waygookin
Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince
« Reply #236 on: August 01, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »
Here are some worksheets I've done so far for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. It usually takes my low-to-mid-level Middle Schoolers an hour to do 4 to 5 worksheets. I'll post more as I make them. Hope this helps someone out.  ;D

Offline the waegukin

• Waygookin
« Reply #237 on: August 08, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »
Ppt for a dragon-themed Egg Drop.

Offline the waegukin

• Waygookin
« Reply #238 on: August 08, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »
Ppt for first day introductions, English names, and making a crest, which corresponds to a page in one of the workbooks.

Offline the waegukin

• Waygookin
« Reply #239 on: August 08, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »
Ppt explaining the rules for Harry Potter themed Guess Who, which again corresponds to one of the workbook pages.