January 23, 2019, 05:11:43 PM

Author Topic: Harry Potter Camp  (Read 252191 times)

Offline californiacurt

• Explorer
Re: Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this site, but there is some great Harry Potter camp ideas.
http://summercampprogramdirector.com/harry-potter-camp-ideas-part-1/

Offline Amy Rodulfo

• Veteran
Harry Potter Origami Materials
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
Here are some materials that can be used before and after doing origami. The first PPT teaches origami-related vocabulary such as fold, crease, turn over, top, bottom, centre etc. etc. The second PPT is a bomb game to practice the vocabulary. Depending on your version of office, you may need to download and save the wav file in the same folder as the bomb game. These materials can be used with any origami project.

For a magical theme suitable for the Harry Potter camp, I will be making this dragon: http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-dragon.html   The PPT materials will still work well if you make something else though. 

The  "mystery origami game" is specifically for making an origami box together with instructions for a magically themed origami game. I've included it because it recycles the same language used to make the  dragon or other magic origami, so can be used as a follow-up in the next lesson.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:10:23 PM by Amy Rodulfo »

Offline Amy Rodulfo

• Veteran
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
An introductory ppt to teach basic adjectives. A "pass the snitch" quidditch game (using a regular ball, or an origami golden snitch), two quick powerpoint team games and a trumps card game. The trumps card game is the main feature and the other materials are aimed at preparing students for it.

*** IMPORTANT:
For the PPT "quick adjectives game 1" to display correctly, it is essential you download the ES Potter font found here: http://www.mugglenet.com/downloads/fonts/  and save in C - windows - fonts folder. Without the font, the text  can't be displayed. I also recommend downloading the Harry P font for the other games, but this is otional. ***

THIS IS THE LOWER LEVEL VERSION WHICH TEACHES: LUCKY, SMART, STUPID, TALL, STRONG AND GOOD (as in skilled).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:26:45 PM by Amy Rodulfo »

Offline Amy Rodulfo

• Veteran
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2011, 10:53:52 PM »
Please see previous post for more details. This is the very "slightly higher level" version with some different vocabulary: intelligent, stupid, talented, untalented, unlucky, weak (strong, tall and lucky.) It is still a very easy and simple lesson.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:09:51 PM by Amy Rodulfo »

Offline craigkorea

• Explorer
Harry Potter - FIGHT game
« Reply #164 on: July 27, 2011, 08:35:06 PM »
Hi all,

The attached is based on the Sonic game where students risk points on who will win a contest e.g Harry fights Ron - who wins? Download all the mp3 files also and keep together in the same folder - or the sounds won't work when you play the game in slideshow.

The lesson is based around 'What are you doing?' modified from a .ppt already posted on here (thanks for the original!)

Students LOVE this - have fun

Craig.

Offline carterar

• Newgookin
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2011, 10:40:22 AM »
These Harry Potter resources are incredible!  I can't find anything else like them on the web.  Thank you so much.

Also, here's a great tutorial for creating your own Hogwarts acceptance letters for students:

http://www.ohmishka.com/2010/06/acceptance-letter.html

Hope this helps!

Offline Paju Leigh

• Veteran
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »
I know that most of you are already doing or have completed your Summer camp. I am into the last week of mine ( thank you Santa!!)
Here are a few PPT's that I made/modified for the camp.

The potions PPT has got the real ingredients fo the teacher so delete it once you have written them down! They are the usual "potions" that I think are already here but I made a nice wee powerpoint for them.

History of Magic is one I made but the first 8 or so slides I have "borrowed" from other slides on this lovely lovely forum.

Offline kiekie87

• Veteran
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2011, 10:20:03 PM »
I just made wands with my summer class today. Worked out really well.

I used chopsticks for wands, and then the kids decorated their wands using pipe-cleaners, stickers, glitter, glue, glitter, sequences, etc. (a bunch of odds and ends will work)

here's how some turned out :)
All ideas grow out of other ideas.
Anish Kapoor

Offline beet

• Explorer
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2011, 09:47:48 AM »
My students loved it!! Thanks!!!
Most of the activities we did together as a class, because I had lots of low level students.
Thank you for sharing the great materials and ideas!

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • E2 Visa High School, 5 years
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »
Here is my humble addition to this magnificent thread of Harry Potter ideas. My camp was nine days, for high 20 school girls, one day = 1 hour period. Many items were built upon ideas that were in this thread already but for lower levels, so thank you so much to all the creative contributors! Please use and alter as you feel necessary. I will admit that some materials I didn't get to put as much time and effort into as I would have liked, due to time constraints (I was handed this camp two days before it was to begin and three days before my vacation period, yikes!).

Day One

First off, most of my materials used the Harry P or Starry Night fonts, available for free online. Try the first link for Harry P and a guide to installing fonts (plus some other great Harry Potter-esque fonts): http://www.mugglenet.com/downloads/fonts/
and this second link for starry night: http://desktoppub.about.com/library/fonts/hs/uc_starrynight.htm

I mostly follwed the ppt for my introduction to the class and order of activities. I opened with just a simple questions to get them speaking a little then slide 3 is my opening page to welcome them to Hogwarts school. I gave a little speech about how they are now Hogwarts students and they should imagine that they are students of magic.

Then I moved on to the sorting hat slide, with a short clip from the movie. I had them watch the clip then try to orally answer some questions like "what does the sorting hat do?", "how many houses are there?" etc. Slide 5 was my instructions for how to do the sorting hat - basically call each student one by one to put on the sorting hat (a basic pointy black witch hat left over from Halloween), and take one scroll from the magic pumpkin (another Halloween decoration I found). I had 20 students so I premade 20 scrolls with 5 per house to divide the students. Once they chose their scroll they had to read the name of their chosen house out to the class and then go to that table. I used the "house table cards" attached below,  to show students where to go. It was just four groups of tables.

Next I explained the House Cup and giving points to each team.  I tried to stress that they had to self-govern each other and make sure they spoke English in class. This was followed by hading out the witch names by house sheet and all the students chose an English witch name for fun (I knew them by both Korean and English but made them sign all their papers with their witch name). The names came from Harry Potter and simple web searches for famous witch names from history and modern day witch names from occult groups. Once they had their house and witch name I had them fill in their student cards. I intended on having them bring it every day and showing it to get points for their team, but eventually stopped doing it. At this point I also told them to make a house password and choose a house captain. They were supposed to say their password tot heir captain everyday to get into the classroom, but this idea was also dropped after a few days.

The final activity involves the welcome letter and the house info pack. I gave each house their package and said they should take turns to read it our loud to their housemates. After reading about their house history and qualities, they were supposed to design a house banner that showed their colours, animal and house strengths. This final activity ran into the second day due to lack of time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:52:52 AM by shhowse »

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
Harry Potter nine day camp - high school level

Day Two
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:56:39 AM by shhowse »

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2011, 09:49:24 AM »

Day Three
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:02:22 PM by shhowse »

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2011, 09:50:05 AM »

Day Four

This day was a bit of a bust since I wasn't feeling well and had no energy to actually teach. So, last minute I came up with a simple solution that would keep them occupied doing something in English while I could passively help out and rest a bit at the same time. I came up with the Wizard Logic Puzzle Challenge. Basically I just gave every team some logic puzzles, and told them they would win points for their team for each one they completed by the end of class. They not only had to check all of the correct boxes to solve the puzzle, but also write an explanation sentence for each one. The students were confused at how to do it at first but as soon as they figured it out they were excited and worked very well together to solve the puzzles!

I'm attaching the originals that I found online, but for class I changed the words/items to more Harry Potter themed things. ** I think I had 4 or 5 but can only find 3 right now. They are fairly simple to find online though, just search for "logic puzzle".
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:26:52 PM by shhowse »

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2011, 09:51:06 AM »

Day Five
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:09:50 PM by shhowse »

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2011, 09:51:32 AM »

Day Six
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:11:07 PM by shhowse »

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2011, 09:52:16 AM »

Day Seven
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:14:08 PM by shhowse »

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2011, 09:53:13 AM »

Day Eight

House Cup Hidden Message Decodying Competition.

I searched the internet for various kinds of Harry potter related puzzles/worksheets and then I also created some using this website: http://www.discoveryeducation.com/free-puzzlemaker/?CFID=13946585&CFTOKEN=30986518.

Each Puzzle they finished would give them clues to solves the final coded message from Harry. The first team to finish all the puzzles and correctly solve the final message was the winner. I used the cryptograms puzzle from the above website to create my final coded message, using the greek alphabet as the key to solving it. When a team finished a puzzle, they received a corresponding set of clues toward the answer (the greek alphabet/english alphabet matched up for spelling the words correctly).

Bonus points were given to teams who perfectly solved their worksheet on the first try. If it wasn't perfect, I would hint at where the mistakes were and they could try again. The overall effect of this activity was groupwork using English and the knowledge they gathered from the whole camp, to complete a kind of word treasure hunt. All the students really enjoyed this kind of team vs team activity since they were really into getting points for the house cup. Plus, some of these worksheets were just fun things, like a wordsearch.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:50:57 PM by shhowse »

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2011, 09:54:15 AM »

Day Nine and Example of Student Work

On this final day of camp we finsihed our Champion's Round of "dueling" (Harry Potter Guess Who), to get the last points for each house. Then I calculated the totals and announced the winner. I gave every team prizes (various snacks) and then we spent the rest of the class having a snack party and enjoying one of the movies. I let them choose which one they wanted to put on.

Final thing to end the camp: I asked the students to write me a brief message to say what they did and didn't like about the camp, so i could improve it for next time. Overall the responses were positive, with a couple students saying they were shy or confused at first, but grew to like it. I'm very happy with how it all went!

Attached are a few example of things we did/used in class. I hope to add some example of their owl mail writing soon.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:16:40 PM by shhowse »

Offline sarahcanavese

• Adventurer
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »
Here are some ppt's and a book.

The book is pretty basic, and could probably be improved. It was a last minute type thing.

The ppt's are from here but with some corrections and things. Thanks to the original uploaders, it cut my time in half preparing!

I didn't actually do a Potions day. We ended up watching the movie, because we had skipped a day when we played quidditch. Those kids LOVED quidditch!

Offline ali87

• Explorer
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2011, 02:26:27 PM »
Elementary Grade 3,4 and 5
1 week each. 80 minute classes.

Each grade was slightly different with increasing difficulty and maturity. The basic outline for each session of camp was the same and all of them went SO WELL!!!

Here is my outlines and the certificates I gave out at the end of each week. I will post my lesson materials in the following posts. Some of the worksheets I used more than once and can be found in one post but not the other even though they were used in both.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:53:01 PM by ali87 »