March 22, 2019, 02:42:01 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Harry Potter Camp  (Read 254836 times)

Offline christine57

• Adventurer
Re: Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2011, 07:48:22 AM »
Has anyone had a successful Herbology activity? I'm going to teach it with my 4th graders, so I'm looking for something basic, but not just a coloring page.  I was thinking about using this site http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/plants/books/sproutingbean/ for the the bean sprouting book, but if someone had a fun activity (better than watering a baby plant which was my sad original plan) I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

one of my teachers did the herbology class and from what I recall she taught a few words on planting, then allowed the students to make up their own plant name..
then she got a few things like soil, seeds and a little cute paper cup and let the kids make their own plants.. cute idea. :)

i did the same thing! i taught them a bunch of new words and then had them practice them through activities like word memory game, scrambled words games, and make your own word search.

then we made our own little plants in paper cups.

im attaching some of the materials i used that might help you.

Offline kirijae

• Waygookin
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2011, 10:31:50 AM »
Hi everyone,
I've just finished my first week of HP winter camp, and it's gone really well.  I have taken a lot of materials off here and adjusted them to suit, so I thought I'd post some back up.  Thanks everyone for all the help, it's been amazing!

For the quiz, i showed about 35 minutes of The Goblet of Fire each day, then had the kids pair up with true/false cards.  When everyone had read the question, I would say go, and the first kid to snatch the card would win a point.  Be prepared for fights with that one! 

The Magical Creatures worksheet was a huge hit, but i haven't posted it here 'cause so many other people have already.  They also really got into the Interactive Story Game, but you need to know it really well yourself to make sure they don't finish too soon or get lost. 

I used the flashcards for duels (2 students at a time, up the front) and also an egg and spoon race, where students ran to the white board with an egg and spoon, wrote the word on the flashcard on the board, then ran back to tag the next person in the team. 

Offline kirijae

• Waygookin
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2011, 10:36:31 AM »
Sorry here's the powerpoint for the interactive game; plus a bomb game which always goes down well - just reviews lessons 9-14 for grade five and six.

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2011, 02:10:49 PM »
Hi, thanks for the advice on Herbology activities. I wanted to plant something as an activity but my coteacher's new and new ideas (since it's not on the lesson plan now) tend to overwhelm her.  Also I'm not sure planting will be that...exciting. I'll nudge my coteacher about it tho and see if we can't manage seeds, etc.

Here's some other things I planned to pick between:  http://www.teachervision.fen.com/tv/printables/TCR/155734244X_18-19.pdf
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/plants/books/sproutingbean/

http://www.esl-galaxy.com/wordsearches/growingplantsws.pdf

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/language/english/label/floweringplant/

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »
For those pple who haven't started their camps yet. Added a couple slides about the characteristics of each house before they're sorted.  May be helpful. (i added 'change' in the title to remind myself to change the classes after each week of camp.)

Offline ada

• Waygookin
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2011, 07:54:37 AM »
TWO SIMPLE GAMES KIDS LOVE

1,2,3,4 ( Name the 4 corners of the room...Gryf/Slyther/Huff/Raven or whatever.
The teacher stands in front,closes eyes, counts down 5,4,3,2,1.....students go to one of the corners of the room. by zero they need to be in a corner. The teacher says a name "Ravenclaw" All students in Ravenclaw are out...sit down. Play until there is a winner. THIS GAME IS A HIT WITH ALLLLL MY STUDENTS, ALL AGE GROUPS.

in knots

pick a good wizard and an evil wizard
the good wizard goes out of the class
students hold hands in a circle and the 'evil' wizard (using his wand) 'directs' the other students into a knot (go under her legs, over their arms, etc) until they knotted up. The good wizard comes in and undoes the knot.

Offline nzaslow

• Veteran
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2011, 11:42:49 AM »
Simple worksheet with padfoot, prongs, moony and wormtail. You can talk about nicknames and animals and use it with the 3rd movie!

Offline mycalmiles32

• Adventurer
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2011, 09:30:37 AM »
Here is a simple Powerpoint I used as a review.  We are halfway through watching the second Harry Potter, Chamber of Secrets. 

Offline karpouzi

• Adventurer
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2011, 04:30:20 PM »
This camp is going so well!
A few notes from our potions class today...
We started with pink vitamin water and added baking soda/glitter. That alone turned the drink blue, which was a surprise to me. Adding the vinegar made it bubble like mad, which was a surprise to them.
When putting eggs in vinegar for a few days, I used spotted quail eggs. For some reason, the spots foamed off in about twenty minutes. Another cool bonus.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2011, 06:06:21 PM »
Sorry it's a little late but hopefully this camp can be useful to someone, I've put the whole thing into a zip file which includes lesson plans, presentations, worksheets, fonts, and EVERYTHING else you need for a camp aimed at the first two grades of middle school. This camp was based on the one at the start of this thread along with various other material we made ourselves and found.

The materials have been tried and tested twice by me and my missus and I've included a readme file with our thoughts on what worked well and what didn't etc.

Oh the zip also includes Korean subs for the deathly hallows if anyone is looking for them.

Hope someone finds this useful, please post any comments or questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/406523/Harry_potter_camp_winter_2010.7z
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:36:16 PM by Rowanteacher »

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2011, 09:46:43 AM »
If anyone is interested you can also read our blog post about Harry Potter camp here: http://bloodriceandnoodles.blogspot.com/2011/01/harry-potter-winter-camp-2010-11.html

Offline eemneedah

• Adventurer
Harry Potter Camp (Winter or Summer)
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2011, 02:24:12 PM »
Play the Harry Potter movie with Korean subtitles and then engage in a range of games, PPT'S and activities. Enjoy!

Offline hdobbin

• Explorer
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »
Here's a trivia game I made for the end of the week. It's really basic and can be modified in any way. My kids wanted to play it multiple times last winter. I hope it's useful!

Offline beehappy1986

• Waygookin
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2011, 08:54:16 AM »
I'm having my kids make a Harry Potter movie. Here's the book I made to go with it...

Offline cheerios

• Waygookin
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2011, 09:39:10 AM »
Some powerpoints (original and revised) that I've made for my Harry Potter camp

Offline gwitthuhn

• Waygookin
Harry Potter Camp Day 1
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
Hi All!  So here is compilation of materials that I have found on here and created. I will post the lesson plans and materials by day, four days in all. Ennnnjoy!

Offline gwitthuhn

• Waygookin
Harry Potter Camp Day 2
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2011, 12:41:11 PM »
Day 2 Materials

Offline gwitthuhn

• Waygookin
Harry Potter Camp Day 3
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2011, 12:46:04 PM »
Day three materials

Offline gwitthuhn

• Waygookin