September 26, 2018, 03:05:42 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Foreign myths about 'ppalli ppalli  (Read 7934 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: Foreign myths about 'ppalli ppalli
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2016, 07:16:22 AM »
빨리빨리 has some merit. It promotes not putting things off, which is good. But prioritizing this is important.
There are several examples where Koreans don't 빨리빨리. Deciding something takes hours here. Tangents are frequent. Not to mention when a phone rings, then the meeting is stopped for who knows how long. It's as if Koreans don't really care about time, for time's sake. They will spend countless hours discussing something that could be figured out in minutes. But once something is figured out and finally decided upon, it's 빨리빨리. Maybe because of the wasted time spent in discussion.

I actually find 빨리빨리 has more to do with the image and appearance of being busy than actual productivity.  It's why corners are cut and why, as you pointed out, when you look at how efficiently time is actually being used...you find it simply isn't :lipsrsealed:

That is true in places like companies or schools. But for construction, it's the opposite. These guys put up buildings faster than I've ever seen. I used to be a real estate appraiser in the states, and I am astonished how quickly buildings are put up or existing structures are renovated. The work they have done in the west part of Suwon is incredible. Of course, the work isn't up to American standards. I've seen many apartment paint jobs that American companies would get sued for. But somehow, it doesn't matter to Koreans. Their houses, which are actually condo or apartment units, are not permanent places of residence. They will move a lot. Everything is temporary. So, interior decoraters are not the perfectionists they are in the states.
I haven't seen any structural problems, but walls here let through sound a lot. I don't know how insulation is used here. But even in the states, you have to soundproof by spending money. What my long and boring post is trying to say is that Korean blue collar workers are not staying at work extra hours to look good.

Many of those construction workers are temporary workers from central and south Asia.

YoungMin

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2016, 08:49:18 AM »
Bbali bbali.....

-pressured into trying for a baby pretty much on your honeymoon.  Leaving no real 'quality married' time after you get married to get used to each other, before the father is expected to earn stacks of cash and work all the time.  Then the kids come and you have no time together because you have to pay for hagwons and extra classes.  Followed by divorce.

****** hell Dave. Right in the feels. My Brother in law's wife just quit her job so they can have a baby. She's not even pregnant. Everyone was like congratulations and I was like, hang on a second, where's the money gonna come from? She had the better job of the two. Now all she does is send group Kakao messages 57 times an hour. Nice gig if you can get it though.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:58:56 AM by AgentMichaelScarn »

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2016, 10:13:16 AM »
Bbali bbali.....

-pressured into trying for a baby pretty much on your honeymoon.  Leaving no real 'quality married' time after you get married to get used to each other, before the father is expected to earn stacks of cash and work all the time.  Then the kids come and you have no time together because you have to pay for hagwons and extra classes.  Followed by divorce.

****** hell Dave. Right in the feels. My Brother in law's wife just quit her job so they can have a baby. She's not even pregnant. Everyone was like congratulations and I was like, hang on a second, where's the money gonna come from? She had the better job of the two. Now all she does is send group Kakao messages 57 times an hour. Nice gig if you can get it though.

Whoa Scarn, that is harsh.  Not even pregnant and quitting her job?  She could be a year away from having a baby, and as for the congratulations?  What is she going to do?  Sit at home making herself fertile?  Poor bloke, gonna have to work his little socks off and return home too tired for anything. 

The wife and I are not going to have kids.  We've been married two years and we just don't fancy it.  It is mainly for selfish reasons.  We like our travelling together, quiet life and free time.  But still get the 'bballi hae' from most people.  It seems an alien concept to most Koreans that you just don't want kids.  We are also not the best with money so now we have no pressure to work like idiots to save up for kids. 

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2016, 12:04:56 PM »
Bbali bbali.....

Well if you have enough kids the government pays you monthly, so there's that. And they say welfare mothers make better lovers, so that's another plus.