September 26, 2018, 02:43:45 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Crime crackdown: 800 foreigners booked in 100 days  (Read 11708 times)

Offline Teemowork

• Expert Waygook
Re: Crime crackdown: 800 foreigners booked in 100 days
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2016, 12:16:48 PM »
It isn't so much that a judge will ignore what is written in a different language as much as the local language is the "official" contract. 

Think of this example: 

Your contract says that you are to be paid 5 green pumpkins a week.  Your employer then pays you with a bag of what you would call "zucchini" at the end of the week.

If your employer knew that Anglophones would be expecting a completely different (and more valuable) fruit, and you can prove it, that can be interpreted as fraud, and a judge would entertain the difference in the contracts.

For the most part, I don't think any employer would outright write something completely different from the English translation.  So, I do agree with you that it would be an outright scam.

My focus was mainly on how a literal translation might vary between languages and that the intent from the Korean sentences might be lost in that translation.

For example:
I was doing a classroom activity a while back where all the students had to stand up and do many different things around the room to study about verbs and actions.  After I felt that the students had practiced enough of it, I said "Alright! You did a great job! Everyone, sit down!".  And to my surprise, all the students just looked at me, and just sat down on the floor where they were standing.  (At least they all understood what "sit down" meant  :laugh:)

Of course, if I had said that same sentence in America, all the students would have returned to their seats FIRST, then sit down, because that was the understood intent.  But all my Korean students interpreted it differently and the obvious "go back to your seats first", was lost in the translation.

So based on that situation, I can see how there are probably lots of instances where the Korean law says one thing, then we read it in English thinking we understand the same rule, but in fact, the full understanding was actually different.

Offline stan rogers

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »
Such a person is more than up to no good. They are breaking the law. As a foreign resident it is your legal responsibility to carry your ARC with you at all times and produce it when requested by an officer of the law.

Wrong.

It's amazing how willing some people are to throw out their legal rights.

"Your rights when being stopped by the police (in Korea)"
https://klawguru.com/2014/08/12/your-rights-when-being-stopped-by-the-police-in-korea/

7) Most importantly, any request/demand mentioned here may be refused. Any request/demand by the police to answer questions, present ID, or go to the police station cannot be forced. Regardless of whether the stop was lawful or not. In short, a person is free to choose whether or not to comply with the requests/demands here.
Just to requote. You are not required to show it.

I have been told by several mates who are police officers that, that law only applies to koreans.  Koreans don't have to show their ID but foreigners have to show our ID to the police if asked and if we don't we could be fined. 

It is very much one law for Koreans and one law for everyone else

Correct!

As for the rest of you who don't want to believe that a two tier system exists, go test it out. You can tell the cops all about your rights. See what happens.

Foreigner you are not a Korean citizen. The constitution of Korea doesn't say anything about extending rights to foreigners. Read the inside cover of your passport. I bet many of them ask foreign governments to extend rights and protections to you. It's a request by your country's government. A request any foreign law enforcement can choose to ignore if it pleases them.

Oh and Korea is still technically at war. You can go figure out for yourself what rights you have in regard to that fact.

Hi Stan,

I know you are a rabid anti-foreigner, but do you have any supporting evidence that these laws apply only to Korean citizens and not to foreigners (tourists, temporary workers, etc.)?

Perhaps there are in fact two sets of laws, one for foreigners and one for Koreans, in which case it would be easy for you to link to them.

Or maybe there is a subset of Korean law that does not apply to foreigners, in which case there ought to be a list of which laws do and do not apply, and also what they are replaced with.

You clearly know a lot about the topic, and I, and many others, would like to know more.  Please share your knowledge so that we lowly foreigners may conduct ourselves properly in this proud land.

OK. You along with many others don't seem to understand the difference between rights and laws. I'm not here to educate you. Go look these terms up in the dictionary. When you understand their differences, go back and read what I wrote.

Offline stan rogers

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2016, 02:41:53 PM »
An awful lot od you are operating under the assumption that Korean cops do anyhing but sleep in their cars and respond to fender benders.

The two times I've gotten into minor car accidents the cops only asked me for my driver's license, not my ARC.

Your statement tells me that you got a Korean license and like so many foreigners never bothered to read the legal document (license) they gave you.  :rolleyes:

If you look very carefully junior you'll see your ARC number in bold written across your drivers license.

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2016, 02:52:30 PM »
Such a person is more than up to no good. They are breaking the law. As a foreign resident it is your legal responsibility to carry your ARC with you at all times and produce it when requested by an officer of the law.

Wrong.

It's amazing how willing some people are to throw out their legal rights.

"Your rights when being stopped by the police (in Korea)"
https://klawguru.com/2014/08/12/your-rights-when-being-stopped-by-the-police-in-korea/

7) Most importantly, any request/demand mentioned here may be refused. Any request/demand by the police to answer questions, present ID, or go to the police station cannot be forced. Regardless of whether the stop was lawful or not. In short, a person is free to choose whether or not to comply with the requests/demands here.
Just to requote. You are not required to show it.

I have been told by several mates who are police officers that, that law only applies to koreans.  Koreans don't have to show their ID but foreigners have to show our ID to the police if asked and if we don't we could be fined. 

It is very much one law for Koreans and one law for everyone else

Correct!

As for the rest of you who don't want to believe that a two tier system exists, go test it out. You can tell the cops all about your rights. See what happens.

Foreigner you are not a Korean citizen. The constitution of Korea doesn't say anything about extending rights to foreigners. Read the inside cover of your passport. I bet many of them ask foreign governments to extend rights and protections to you. It's a request by your country's government. A request any foreign law enforcement can choose to ignore if it pleases them.

Oh and Korea is still technically at war. You can go figure out for yourself what rights you have in regard to that fact.

Hi Stan,

I know you are a rabid anti-foreigner, but do you have any supporting evidence that these laws apply only to Korean citizens and not to foreigners (tourists, temporary workers, etc.)?

Perhaps there are in fact two sets of laws, one for foreigners and one for Koreans, in which case it would be easy for you to link to them.

Or maybe there is a subset of Korean law that does not apply to foreigners, in which case there ought to be a list of which laws do and do not apply, and also what they are replaced with.

You clearly know a lot about the topic, and I, and many others, would like to know more.  Please share your knowledge so that we lowly foreigners may conduct ourselves properly in this proud land.

OK. You along with many others don't seem to understand the difference between rights and laws. I'm not here to educate you. Go look these terms up in the dictionary. When you understand their differences, go back and read what I wrote.

Ah, sorry, I thought you knew what you were talking about and could tell us where the information was located.

Why do you hate foreigners?

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2016, 07:26:38 PM »
An awful lot od you are operating under the assumption that Korean cops do anyhing but sleep in their cars and respond to fender benders.

The two times I've gotten into minor car accidents the cops only asked me for my driver's license, not my ARC.

Your statement tells me that you got a Korean license and like so many foreigners never bothered to read the legal document (license) they gave you.  :rolleyes:

If you look very carefully junior you'll see your ARC number in bold written across your drivers license.

But it's not my ARC card. You guys are insisting that everyone should carry around their ARC card at all times or risk deportation, even if you were running from a fire in your apartment.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
This is movie material.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2016, 07:41:58 PM »
This is movie material.
So what crotchety, hard drinking old character actor is going to play stan?

Offline chris0206

• Veteran
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2016, 09:55:25 AM »

Hi Stan,

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah, sorry, I thought you knew what you were talking about and could tell us where the information was located.

Why do you hate foreigners?
[/quote]

According to my police officer friend,  if  a police officer requests a foreigner to show their ARC card and they refuse they can be fined 1 million won.  If you then refuse to pay that then you can be sent to prison.  My wife is just searching for the name of the law now.  When she finds it I will post the law.  But it is connected to immigration law.

Offline chris0206

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »
The law is 출입국관리법 (Entering and leaving organisation law) according to my Korean friend.

Offline stan rogers

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2016, 11:29:12 PM »
To be honest I do not have a problem with foreigners who obey the law. I actually respect them for doing the right thing. I obey the laws of Korea and I don't make excuses for those who engage in criminal activity. What bothers me about so many foreigners is that they have this idea that if others break the law it's somehow ok for them to do it too. Frankly 800 foreigners IMO is a drop in the bucket.

Those who don't like my view are quite likely involved in criminal activity themselves and so I don't really care what they think because I know the mentality they operate with.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:30:47 PM by stan rogers »

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2016, 12:56:42 AM »
To be honest I do not have a problem with foreigners who obey the law. I actually respect them for doing the right thing. I obey the laws of Korea and I don't make excuses for those who engage in criminal activity. What bothers me about so many foreigners is that they have this idea that if others break the law it's somehow ok for them to do it too. Frankly 800 foreigners IMO is a drop in the bucket.

Those who don't like my view are quite likely involved in criminal activity themselves and so I don't really care what they think because I know the mentality they operate with.

Ah forget it Stan. You're seen as a hater of foreigners. Nothing you say or will say will have any validity whatsoever. It's too bad because you are actually a good source of advice. I've been here awhile and know that you are speaking the truth. They will believe you if you don't insult them.

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2016, 09:56:46 AM »

Ah forget it Stan. You're seen as a hater of foreigners. Nothing you say or will say will have any validity whatsoever. It's too bad because you are actually a good source of advice. I've been here awhile and know that you are speaking the truth. They will believe you if you don't insult them.

So now we know whose sock "Somebody" is.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »

So anyone who disagrees with you is a criminal? Now we know "what mentality you operate with."