August 20, 2018, 03:16:37 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 745770 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #5240 on: April 26, 2018, 01:52:07 PM »
오늘 한국어 수업 시간에...

선생님 (학생에게): 내일은 네가 생일이에요. 뭐 먹을래요?

다른 학생: 여자 친구!
 :shocked: :shocked:
나밖에 안 들은 것 같아요...

Gosh :3

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5241 on: April 26, 2018, 03:01:17 PM »
Sat down and talked with one of my co-teachers over some tea. She asked me about classrooms in America, and started telling me how envious she was that parents back home stress good grades AND good behavior.

That said, I started wondering how the pay here for the average Korean teacher compares to the average American teacher. I know American teachers are waging protests these days for better pay, but she told me it's pretty bad here too.

Anyone know how it stacks up?
The World Ends With You

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5242 on: April 26, 2018, 03:05:46 PM »
오늘 한국어 수업 시간에...

선생님 (학생에게): 내일은 네가 생일이에요. 뭐 먹을래요?

다른 학생: 여자 친구!
 :shocked: :shocked:
나밖에 안 들은 것 같아요...

Well, sounds fun.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5243 on: April 26, 2018, 03:07:12 PM »
The hen in the local 7/11 never says hello to me when I walk in. While I'm checking out the goods and I hear/see other folk walk into the store she greets them with a hello.  :sad:

To counter this. I always wait until I've collected my change or receipt before staring her down for a good few seconds, staring at the food/drinks and then eventually asking for a bag like this.... bag? Man, she looks so pissed every time. We could end this all if she'd acknowledge my presence like a normal human being when I walk through the door in the first place.

Not a good idea to play the passive aggressive game with me because I can't be beaten and I've got nothing to lose.  :wink:
The ranting thread is over there.
To add, this is the pettiest thing I've ever seen. haha

Haha. This is a ramble from my perspective.  :P
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5244 on: April 26, 2018, 06:13:11 PM »
...Is it normal for kids to come over and just touch your food while you're in the middle of eating it?

Kids do it to me every day at lunch and go "good." or try to take stuff from my tray (fruit, yogurt drinks) while I'm eating.

I've been thinking about this since school started and I've no clue if it's just my school or if it's Korea in general lol

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5245 on: April 26, 2018, 08:05:25 PM »
...Is it normal for kids to come over and just touch your food while you're in the middle of eating it?

Kids do it to me every day at lunch and go "good." or try to take stuff from my tray (fruit, yogurt drinks) while I'm eating.

I've been thinking about this since school started and I've no clue if it's just my school or if it's Korea in general lol

It's not normal at all.

Physical boundaries and personal space aren't quite the same as in the west, but you're within your right to insist on them.

Touching somebody else's food without a good reason is weird and rude pretty much everywhere, including Korea.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5246 on: April 27, 2018, 07:51:34 AM »

It's not normal at all.

Physical boundaries and personal space aren't quite the same as in the west, but you're within your right to insist on them.

Touching somebody else's food without a good reason is weird and rude pretty much everywhere, including Korea.

I agree. Bother you a bit while you're eating, may be semi-normal with small kids, but touching your food, not so much. It seems like the kids have yet to learn basic manners, or are just being rude to you. I would agree that putting your foot down with the kids is well within your rights. What is the eating arrangement? Do you eat all together, and you're also at a student desk, or are you at a teacher's desk?

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5247 on: April 27, 2018, 07:54:50 AM »
Pre-election, how effective are those lone blue or red-coated people waving and bowing at cars driving past?  I'd hazard a guess of 1% or probably lower.   

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5248 on: April 27, 2018, 08:04:19 AM »

It's not normal at all.

I agree. Bother you a bit while you're eating, may be semi-normal with small kids, but touching your food, not so much. It seems like the kids have yet to learn basic manners, or are just being rude to you. I would agree that putting your foot down with the kids is well within your rights. What is the eating arrangement? Do you eat all together, and you're also at a student desk, or are you at a teacher's desk?

Teacher's area away from the kids. And it's 10-year-old kids doing it, I'd be more okay if it was a 1st grader or something because it's understandable they have less awareness of social customs.

It appears to me that it's just my school that's not normal haha. Every time I ask "is this normal?" it's always just a resounding "no wtf." Ah, the longings for a country town are pulling at my heartstrings again. Maybe there they're less weird.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5249 on: April 27, 2018, 08:09:40 AM »
Pre-election, how effective are those lone blue or red-coated people waving and bowing at cars driving past?  I'd hazard a guess of 1% or probably lower.
has a negative effect for me. if i could vote, i'd vote for someone that didn't have those annoying people everywhere. same with the noisy trucks and dancing ajjumas. what's that got to do with politics and policies anyway?

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5250 on: April 27, 2018, 08:29:07 AM »

Teacher's area away from the kids. And it's 10-year-old kids doing it, I'd be more okay if it was a 1st grader or something because it's understandable they have less awareness of social customs.

It appears to me that it's just my school that's not normal haha. Every time I ask "is this normal?" it's always just a resounding "no wtf." Ah, the longings for a country town are pulling at my heartstrings again. Maybe there they're less weird.

You'd just be trading one problem for another I'm sure. My 2nd school is in the countryside and it's a very notable difference from my main one. But then again, if it's just THAT school that's wierd, any school might be a welcome change.
The World Ends With You

Offline orange6ur1

• Adventurer
« Reply #5251 on: April 27, 2018, 08:38:11 AM »

Hm, I think in general, you'll get the hang of when to be disciplinary and when to let kids be curious/explore as you continue teaching and being around them. Kids have to be taught how to be polite or told when they're crossing boundaries. Even adults sometimes have to be taught that, you know?

Just remember you're an adult/teacher and any kid is going to test you no matter what country you're in.
You can be kind and firm at the same time. Or sometimes I just have to be firm.

You'll probably hear this or may have already read this, but there's a saying in Korea that the reason why North Korea hasn't invaded South Korea is because they're afraid of 2nd graders in middle school. haha.

The grass isn't any more greener where ya go, so it makes ya really appreciate the small, unexpected acts of kindness that more special :)

Offline elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #5252 on: April 27, 2018, 08:43:20 AM »
The entire office is watching the meeting between Kim Jong Un and Moon Jae In, right now.  It's actually pretty interesting.  I wish my Korean was better so that I could ask my coworkers what they think about it all.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5253 on: April 27, 2018, 12:14:08 PM »
I'm going to amuse myself on a quiet Friday but trying to imagine future posts by Bingsu.  For example:

Yesterday, as I rocked up to the school gate to head home, I got jumped by a couple of third graders (big for their age).  They stole my phone, some pocket money, and for some reason, one shoe.  When I came in the next day and complained to my co-teacher she responded that if I was a good teacher and really loved my students I would've given them those things without them having to forcibly take them.  Is this normal or am I just working at the wackiest school?

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5254 on: April 27, 2018, 12:26:05 PM »
When I got to school today, all the students where wearing casual clothes rather than their uniforms. That got my spirits up, because that usually means they're going on a field trip, which means no classes. Sadly, my spirits were dashed against the rocks when I was told that today is "Casual clothes day." Bummer.

Also, I think many of my students seem to have mistaken"casual clothes day" for "dress like an amorphous blob day." Are "casual clothes" and "amorphous blob" similar in Korean? I've never seen so many oversized shirts in my life, and that's saying something. I went to HS in the 90s, otherwise known as "the JNCO years."

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5255 on: April 27, 2018, 12:44:13 PM »
I'm going to amuse myself on a quiet Friday but trying to imagine future posts by Bingsu.  For example:

Today, I rocked into the teachers room but as I slid the door open the buzzing conversation died down.  I took my seat, the teacher opposite me (I'm sure she hates me) looked away from me with a disgusted look.  Not sure what I did.  I turned on my computer and logged into NEIS, but needed a poo, so rocked off to the bogs.  I came back ten minutes later drying my hands with a tissue.  The 'disgusted' teacher and my MT were around my computer but ran away laughing.  When I looked they'd made a load of requests on NEIS waiting for the principal and VP to agree to for things like 9 - 9:10am 'Poo time', Friday 4:40-Monday 8:40 'Being Stoooopid Foreigner', and one for Year 2030 Monday 8:40am - 'Breaking Horses'.  When I glared at them they just giggled and turned away.  Is this normal?

Clearly annoyed I went to class.  I slid open the door and the 4th graders had turned the classroom into a brewery, with stills, making and bottling their own beer.  The room smelt of hops.  They're only 10 years old.  Is this normal?

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #5256 on: April 27, 2018, 12:52:37 PM »
Clearly annoyed I went to class.  I slid open the door and the 4th graders had turned the classroom into a brewery, with stills, making and bottling their own beer.  The room smelt of hops.  They're only 10 years old.  Is this normal?

Filthy casual. Stills go in a distillery, they don't make beer there. A brewery has fermentation tanks.

GTFO.  :police: :police: :police: :police:  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5257 on: April 27, 2018, 12:58:51 PM »
Speaking of taking a poo. I've just dropped off a massive sundae and upon grabbing the toilet paper I've felt it mush into my fingers. Looks like the kids cleaning the bathroom just blasted the hose off the floor, walls, toilet and apparently the toilet roll.  :cry:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #5258 on: April 27, 2018, 12:59:24 PM »

Filthy casual. Stills go in a distillery, they don't make beer there. A brewery has fermentation tanks.

GTFO.  :police: :police: :police: :police:  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh look, it's the 'Mackeoolllee Brewer'   :wink:

They're only ten years old!?!  :rolleyes: They don't know what they're doing!

Damn it!  Make sure to 'proof' check my brewing posts for the correct 'content'!

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #5259 on: April 27, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »
Well now, if I didn't know any better I feel like I'd been made fun of.

Is that normal?