June 20, 2018, 07:36:20 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 701163 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4140 on: September 14, 2017, 03:18:06 PM »
Our VP is leaving our school to become a principal and I don’t understand why she can’t stay here and be promoted. She’s only been here for two years and everyone really likes her. And it would be less stress for her to become a principal in a place with which she’s familiar.

Less stress you say? We can't have that!

Seriously though, why must the Korean school system shuffle its teachers and staff so regularly? It doesn't keep things fresh, it just assures that everyone gets stressed out when it happens. Which is frequently. I can't even remember how many different principals and vice principals I've taught under in ten years of public school, but it's a number at least four times the number of actual schools I've taught at. Once, I taught at a privately owned public school where the principal, vice principal and teachers didn't have to transfer every so often and the school was much more competently run than most of my other schools.

OMG I was talking about this with one of my Co-ts and I told her that the teachers back home get a job and they stay there. They could move if they want, I suppose, but it's not normal.

She hadn't really thought about it, that's just "the way it's done" here. I told her that being moved every 5 years makes it hard for a teacher to truly care about the school in the long run. This isn't to say that they don't care here, that's clearly not true. They do their job well, obv.

However, if I knew I would be at a completely different school in 5 years, would I REALLY try and make my school the best in my city, my province? It's less likely, that's hard to argue against. What legacy can you leave the institution after 5 years of a 35, 40 year career? If I knew that this was my school as a career, then you'd be damn sure I'd want mine to be the best in Anyang, the best in South Gyeonggi, or what have you, best in the country even.
Imagine teaching your fifth and final year at a school here? Gotta plan for............... what? Nothing. I won't be here, and next year, I might have different books, different shit. And the stress of moving takes a toll. All your love and attention wouldn't be on the kids or the lessons per se, it would be wondering about what's next.

:-* But Kevin, what if the principal is bad?

:police: Well, even so, you have to spend 5 years with a shitty one, let's say, and then? What, hope your next school has a nice one?

Every single one of my principals, at ALL levels, back home were the nicest guys you could meet and were fair and were actively involved in the life of the school, the students. Here? No idea.

I heard that the rotation is to supposedly prevent corruption and also give a chance for teachers/principals to work at "good" schools/desirable locations and/or make it so that nobody gets stuck at "bad" schools/less desirable locations.  Might also be some benefit to students in that there's a 50/50 chance of getting good teachers vs incompetent ones. 

I can see the reasoning behind it but overall I feel like consistency is better?  Easy for me to say though, as I've generally had decent if not good teachers.  Whenever there was a bad apple, I would have been happy to see them leave/transfer. 

So here, for those who get stuck with a horrendous coworker/VP/P, I guess there's at least a light at the end of the tunnel in that one or the other will transfer eventually.  Sucks when the good ones have to transfer though.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #4141 on: September 14, 2017, 03:23:59 PM »
Yeah. back when I had a coteacher, years ago, at my last school, she was a total abusive psychopath. First time, I've ever allowed someone to get to me to the point I cried (not in front of her, but later). I was only there one year and thought, Oh God, I can't stay here so when psycho asked if I was going to renew (really early too) I was like...ummm no. Only to find out after that...she was being rotated out  :shocked: :huh:Well, by then they had found my replacement and I couldn't change my mind...but it was destiny because late in the game (mid-feb) I got my current job and it's been amazeballs.

Our VP is leaving our school to become a principal and I don’t understand why she can’t stay here and be promoted. She’s only been here for two years and everyone really likes her. And it would be less stress for her to become a principal in a place with which she’s familiar.

Less stress you say? We can't have that!

Seriously though, why must the Korean school system shuffle its teachers and staff so regularly? It doesn't keep things fresh, it just assures that everyone gets stressed out when it happens. Which is frequently. I can't even remember how many different principals and vice principals I've taught under in ten years of public school, but it's a number at least four times the number of actual schools I've taught at. Once, I taught at a privately owned public school where the principal, vice principal and teachers didn't have to transfer every so often and the school was much more competently run than most of my other schools.

OMG I was talking about this with one of my Co-ts and I told her that the teachers back home get a job and they stay there. They could move if they want, I suppose, but it's not normal.

She hadn't really thought about it, that's just "the way it's done" here. I told her that being moved every 5 years makes it hard for a teacher to truly care about the school in the long run. This isn't to say that they don't care here, that's clearly not true. They do their job well, obv.

However, if I knew I would be at a completely different school in 5 years, would I REALLY try and make my school the best in my city, my province? It's less likely, that's hard to argue against. What legacy can you leave the institution after 5 years of a 35, 40 year career? If I knew that this was my school as a career, then you'd be damn sure I'd want mine to be the best in Anyang, the best in South Gyeonggi, or what have you, best in the country even.
Imagine teaching your fifth and final year at a school here? Gotta plan for............... what? Nothing. I won't be here, and next year, I might have different books, different shit. And the stress of moving takes a toll. All your love and attention wouldn't be on the kids or the lessons per se, it would be wondering about what's next.

:-* But Kevin, what if the principal is bad?

:police: Well, even so, you have to spend 5 years with a shitty one, let's say, and then? What, hope your next school has a nice one?

Every single one of my principals, at ALL levels, back home were the nicest guys you could meet and were fair and were actively involved in the life of the school, the students. Here? No idea.

I heard that the rotation is to supposedly prevent corruption and also give a chance for teachers/principals to work at "good" schools/desirable locations and/or make it so that nobody gets stuck at "bad" schools/less desirable locations.  Might also be some benefit to students in that there's a 50/50 chance of getting good teachers vs incompetent ones. 

I can see the reasoning behind it but overall I feel like consistency is better?  Easy for me to say though, as I've generally had decent if not good teachers.  Whenever there was a bad apple, I would have been happy to see them leave/transfer. 

So here, for those who get stuck with a horrendous coworker/VP/P, I guess there's at least a light at the end of the tunnel in that one or the other will transfer eventually.  Sucks when the good ones have to transfer though.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4142 on: September 15, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »
I just figured out who someone on Waygook is in RL and I did a slow laugh. Somewhat like a slow clap. Wow.

I think I am in shock. I can no longer look at him without a bit of a lip snarl. Also I just commented on a thread and then it magically disappeared.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #4143 on: September 15, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »
I just figured out who someone on Waygook is in RL and I did a slow laugh. Somewhat like a slow clap. Wow.

WHO

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4144 on: September 15, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »

I think I am in shock. I can no longer look at him without a bit of a lip snarl. Also I just commented on a thread and then it magically disappeared.

Is it me? Do you know me? Aw man, don't tell everyone what a douche I am online   :sad:

:P :P

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #4145 on: September 15, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
I told one of my friends that I am CO2 and she said, "Hahaha, yeah, I can see that."

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #4146 on: September 15, 2017, 09:39:17 AM »
I just figured out who someone on Waygook is in RL

HA. Real life. As if that's a thing...

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4147 on: September 15, 2017, 09:44:48 AM »

Finding that kind of thing out is truly magical :)

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4148 on: September 15, 2017, 10:04:34 AM »

Haha I know two people on waygook. One is the same IRL as he is on waygook: toxic, sad, hates everthing because he hates himself, etc.. I almost feel sorry for the guy
The other is the very definition of a keyboard warrior. Really nice/shy guy in real life, but I've seen him bullying others on here. I just laugh because he would NEVER say things like that in person  :laugh:

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4149 on: September 15, 2017, 11:44:01 AM »
Well, it looks like I'm safe: I don't actually exist in real life.  :smiley:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4150 on: September 15, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »
Well, it looks like I'm safe: I don't actually exist in real life.  :smiley:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4151 on: September 15, 2017, 12:19:09 PM »

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4152 on: September 20, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »
Kimduham plays golf.
Loses golf ball in thick rough.
Titleist pro v1 (money is no object)
Weeks go by.
Months go by.
Foreigner finds golf ball in thick rough.
It's a pro v1.
Sweet.
KimbuHam's cell phone bleeps.
GPS tracker in golf ball.
Locates foreigner.
Foreigner has E2 visa.
Kimdokdo calls immigration.
Foreigner teaching kindy at hagwon.
Knock on door.
Immigration chief and police enter.
Ask foreigner why he stole golf ball.
Foreigner fired.
Foreigner visa cancelled.
Foreigner taken to Jail awaiting deportation.
Kimchi and white rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Foreigner starts go fund me page for flight back to foreign land.
Pecan comments he should have had insurance in interview to Korea times.
Arsalan donates money from subscriptions to fly foreigner home.
Waygook.org users applaud Arsalan for rescuing E2 criminal.
Donations to site flood in. Servers are hanging on by a thread.
Lessons plans of university level quality uploads soar.
Korea over takes Finland as best English speakers for secondary language.
South Korea and North Korea unify peacefully.
First Macdonalds in North Korea opens. Line is 27km long.
Waygook.org buys facebook.com for $1tn.
Kimduhan inadvertently the architect of the greatest series of events in history.
waygook.org user #nugunugu... OMG avec's picked up a steelchair! God almighty it's a steelchair to the skull. Good god. BANG. ANOTHER shot to the Cranium!

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #4153 on: September 20, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »
This is an amazing story...lol

Kimduham plays golf.
Weeks go by.
Months go by.
It's a pro v1.
Sweet.
Locates foreigner.
Foreigner has E2 visa.
Knock on door.
Foreigner fired.
Kimduhan inadvertently the architect of the greatest series of events in history.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4154 on: September 20, 2017, 11:51:31 AM »
Today, the high school level 2 listening test was interesting as always for the voice actors they use.  Years ago, I remember the British person they used, sounded like he had a concussion or something by the way he was talking, but today they've hired one of the Sesame Street actors by the sounds of it.  His American accent was hilarious.  'You sound so enthooosiastic' 'Any interesting noooos today, honey'  Even my students came up to me after and were doing funny impressions of his accent.   :laugh:

During the tests, me and my co-teacher will play a game.  I used to do this in middle school too with other co-ts.  Before it starts we choose five random questions and pick an answer.  Usually, the one involving money, a picture etc.  Then during the test, we see who gets most right.  As one is at the front and one is at the back, we can celebrate quietly so the other notices.  The loser has to buy a cookie for the winner.  Today was 2-2.  She pulled it back on Q.18.  :-[

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4155 on: September 20, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
Kimduham plays golf.
Weeks go by.
Months go by.
It's a pro v1.
Sweet.
Locates foreigner.
Foreigner has E2 visa.
Knock on door.
Foreigner fired.
Kyndo makes a lame pun and posts a stupid .gif to commemorate the event.

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #4156 on: September 20, 2017, 04:21:36 PM »
Standing in a subway car covered floor to ceiling with Larva characters, the Korean cartoon that takes place in a sewer and is prone to flatulence, vomit, and poop gags.

Just be happy it's not more Pororo.

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #4157 on: September 21, 2017, 07:42:31 AM »
Ahahahahaha...my yuhak boys came in (after the test) to complain about the voices and said EXACTLY THIS!

Today, the high school level 2 listening test was interesting as always for the voice actors they use.  Years ago, I remember the British person they used, sounded like he had a concussion or something by the way he was talking, but today they've hired one of the Sesame Street actors by the sounds of it.  His American accent was hilarious.  'You sound so enthooosiastic' 'Any interesting noooos today, honey'  Even my students came up to me after and were doing funny impressions of his accent.   :laugh:

During the tests, me and my co-teacher will play a game.  I used to do this in middle school too with other co-ts.  Before it starts we choose five random questions and pick an answer.  Usually, the one involving money, a picture etc.  Then during the test, we see who gets most right.  As one is at the front and one is at the back, we can celebrate quietly so the other notices.  The loser has to buy a cookie for the winner.  Today was 2-2.  She pulled it back on Q.18.  :-[

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #4158 on: September 21, 2017, 07:44:26 AM »
Sinbundang line? LOL. I got the Dino Core train yesterday lol

Standing in a subway car covered floor to ceiling with Larva characters, the Korean cartoon that takes place in a sewer and is prone to flatulence, vomit, and poop gags.

Just be happy it's not more Pororo.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4159 on: September 21, 2017, 07:57:24 AM »
Ahahahahaha...my yuhak boys came in (after the test) to complain about the voices and said EXACTLY THIS!

I like to pay attention to the ratio of American to British English speakers on it.  One thing I always highlight to my students is the 다문화 (multi-culture) families, the mum will be British and the son American.   :cheesy: How does that work?  Also yesterday there was one where the married couple were discussing what to do after retirement, he wanted to live in the country, the wife in the city, it was a real back and forth dialogue, after the test my student came to me and said they should probably get divorced, which was exactly (이혼) what I'd written on my paper.

If I have no class for the listening test, I'll listen to the 1st and 3rd grade too.  I like to find out what the examiners are looking for.