October 17, 2018, 09:20:25 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 785387 times)

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4100 on: September 05, 2017, 01:33:25 PM »
"Why are the kids throwing a javelin in the rain?"

A question I never imagined I'd ask.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4101 on: September 05, 2017, 03:54:23 PM »
I ordered a docking station from OWC in Illinois. I was pleased to see they included a European power cable, but I chuckled and muttered, "Yup, they do look where these are going!" when I saw this:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4102 on: September 06, 2017, 02:18:38 PM »
The other day I realized there was a large spiderweb in front of my house (outside).  It was actually kind of impressive and I figured it might help curb the local bugs so I let it be. 

Every time I open the door, it scurries away into a corner as if it's fleeing from danger.  Which struck me as kinda cute. 

I think I've been in the countryside too long. 

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4103 on: September 06, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
I have got the munchies something fierce today. Nothing has been safe or sacred. My students have noticed and they've been "feeding" me like I'm their pet or something. xD

Which struck me as kinda cute. 

Spiders can be cute, too, don't let the rest of the world tell you otherwise.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4104 on: September 06, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »
The other day I realized there was a large spiderweb in front of my house (outside).  It was actually kind of impressive and I figured it might help curb the local bugs so I let it be. 

Every time I open the door, it scurries away into a corner as if it's fleeing from danger.  Which struck me as kinda cute. 

;D

They've worked out the pecking order.

When I go hiking in the evenings it is usually the time that the spiders make their webs across the hiking paths.  So there have been many times where I walked straight through them without looking, so now I carry a stick which I hold in front of my face so I can look down without getting a face full of spider webs.  But sometimes I notice on some of the bridges and man-made wooden paths that there are a load of webs across and there is no way I can go along them without 'displacing' a load of spiders, I mean come on, they spent a long time making those webs, who am I to smash them up?  So I make another path and leave them be. 

I also noticed the spiders who have got a prime spot on the top corner of a lamp post.  At night, they really ace out.  These are some fat spiders.   Obese, by our terminology.  Could spider obesity ever become a problem?

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4105 on: September 07, 2017, 07:29:12 AM »

;D

They've worked out the pecking order.

When I go hiking in the evenings it is usually the time that the spiders make their webs across the hiking paths.  So there have been many times where I walked straight through them without looking, so now I carry a stick which I hold in front of my face so I can look down without getting a face full of spider webs.  But sometimes I notice on some of the bridges and man-made wooden paths that there are a load of webs across and there is no way I can go along them without 'displacing' a load of spiders, I mean come on, they spent a long time making those webs, who am I to smash them up?  So I make another path and leave them be. 

I also noticed the spiders who have got a prime spot on the top corner of a lamp post.  At night, they really ace out.  These are some fat spiders.   Obese, by our terminology.  Could spider obesity ever become a problem?

I found one spider in Jeju near the lava tubes that made a perfect thick bolded "x" in it's web. Tried to get a pic but you could just see a bit of the x and couldn't see the rest of the web. It's name is now Charlotte.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4106 on: September 08, 2017, 12:38:06 PM »
I'm too naturally quiet. I can't count the number of times I've accidentally scared somebody who didn't know I was there. I had to purposely make a lot of noise when I went to get kimbap yesterday because both of their backs were turned.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4107 on: September 08, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »
Where do people get the time from to go on for pages and pages on this forum with their fancy multi quotes? Surely they must have some work to do?
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4108 on: September 08, 2017, 12:50:39 PM »
Where do people get the time from to go on for pages and pages on this forum with their fancy multi quotes? Surely they must have some work to do?

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong  ;D

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4109 on: September 08, 2017, 01:25:08 PM »
I'm too naturally quiet. I can't count the number of times I've accidentally scared somebody who didn't know I was there. I had to purposely make a lot of noise when I went to get kimbap yesterday because both of their backs were turned.

I [unintentionally] scared my mom a lot when I lived at home.  She'd tell me to stop sneaking up on her and I'd tell her she should be used to it already ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4110 on: September 08, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »

Poke some holes in the soles of your shoes/slippers so that air gets trapped in them. That way when you walk, they'll make a "clicking" noise that'll announce your presence from a hundred feet away.

Then no one will have an excuse.

donovan

« Reply #4111 on: September 08, 2017, 02:56:23 PM »

Poke some holes in the soles of your shoes/slippers so that air gets trapped in them. That way when you walk, they'll make a "clicking" noise that'll announce your presence from a hundred feet away.

This sounds suspiciously like a #based Life Hack™ to me...

donovan

« Reply #4112 on: September 08, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »

Waygook.org user Chinguetti, the lifehacks thread is over there.
HA! damnit...

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4113 on: September 08, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cry:  :laugh: :laugh: :cry: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: RIGHT?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4114 on: September 08, 2017, 03:02:26 PM »

I think you should get a pair of wooden clogs.  Or tap shoes :D

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4115 on: September 08, 2017, 03:03:24 PM »

I [unintentionally] scared my mom a lot when I lived at home.  She'd tell me to stop sneaking up on her and I'd tell her she should be used to it already ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have always had this problem. I move too quietly... apparently. Not entirely sure how. But yeah I can relate
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline wanderlust8

• Veteran
« Reply #4116 on: September 08, 2017, 03:11:25 PM »
The kids were throwing a ball around before class started (one of those soft ones). The windows were open. The ball ended up going out the window. Which wasn't an easy task since there were shades over most of the window. But somehow they managed to throw it at just the right angle that it went out. Did it land on the ground? Nope. Landed on the top of walkway covering thing probably never to be seen again.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4117 on: September 08, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »
I only made the 'do you say hello to the bus driver?' thread to see what codswallop DeMartino could come up with.  :cry:
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4118 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:03 AM »
I brought out my collection of plastic on my way to work this morning, and an old man applauded me as he walked by. Not sure what the applause was for because a number of reasons can apply, if you really think about it, but, either way, I bowed a little on instinct and that was a good way to start the day.

Too bad work was really quick to ruin it.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4119 on: September 13, 2017, 02:42:20 PM »
This is my trash day. I can't decide if I want McDonald's or Papa John's.