August 16, 2018, 02:14:39 AM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 742850 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3960 on: July 19, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »
I know I shouldn't, but I'm splurging on that sweet potato and fried chicken dish that I always overeat whenever I buy it, tonight. I'll probably be sluggish tomorrow. But it'll be worth it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3961 on: July 19, 2017, 12:49:56 PM »
I know I shouldn't, but I'm splurging on that sweet potato and fried chicken dish that I always overeat whenever I buy it, tonight. I'll probably be sluggish tomorrow. But it'll be worth it.

Wait what? That sounds p good.

I want that.  I enjoy both those components, so why not together? 

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3962 on: July 19, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
Seems like a lot of forum users are watched these days.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #3963 on: July 19, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »

I could get tarted up for you.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3964 on: July 19, 2017, 01:03:28 PM »

Ooo la la  :-*  I hope you're more sweet than sour. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #3965 on: July 19, 2017, 01:40:53 PM »

I'm like a chicken ball.

P.S.  Donovan/Kyndo, there's a bar at the bottom of the picture that lets you scroll across to see the whole picture.  :afro:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3966 on: July 19, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »

I'm like a chicken ball.

P.S.  Donovan/Kyndo, there's a bar at the bottom of the picture that lets you scroll across to see the whole picture.  :afro:

Now you're just being saucy.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #3967 on: July 19, 2017, 01:59:22 PM »
I am stupid, or I've been in Korea too long. hahahaha

1. So, I'm on instagram for PC, and it suggests I follow badgalriri. Alright, must be some Korean person who anglicised 밧갈리리.

2. Go to their page. Jesus, this person is obsessed with Rihanna.

3.  Shittttt, 1.5 million likes? Who is this person?

4. Fack, it's Rihanna's instagram. I am an idiot.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3968 on: July 19, 2017, 01:59:45 PM »

I'm like a chicken ball.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #3969 on: July 19, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3970 on: July 20, 2017, 08:11:54 AM »
I know I shouldn't, but I'm splurging on that sweet potato and fried chicken dish ...
Wait what? That sounds p good.

It's as close to Korean-style crack as you'll ever get.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:18:16 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3971 on: July 20, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »
Need some movie choices for camp.  Suggestions?  So far I nabbed "Kubo and the 2 strings" that someone posted.  I'm fine with downloading as long as I can get Korean subtitles. 

I also have Netflix now but I have no idea what all's on it that would be good for middle schoolers.  Anyone wanna spare me the effort of digging around on there?   :laugh:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3972 on: July 20, 2017, 10:32:03 AM »
Need some movie choices for camp.  Suggestions?  So far I nabbed "Kubo and the 2 strings" that someone posted.  I'm fine with downloading as long as I can get Korean subtitles. 

I also have Netflix now but I have no idea what all's on it that would be good for middle schoolers.  Anyone wanna spare me the effort of digging around on there?   :laugh:

Moana has been a huge hit for me.

Same for The Croods -- most Korean students have never heard of it, and some will even try to argue about it because they'll think the idea of it is stupid, but it's been the most successful film I've shown so far. They all get super into it.

Inside Out

Zootopia

Dr. Strange

The Amazing Spiderman

Coraline

Coraline is on Korean Netflix.

I generally stick with animated films because most of the students like them, even the ones who claim they don't, while the non-animated films are real hits/misses (a lot of students get bored with the build-up to the main storylines), so it really depends on how much humor, action and/or slapstick is part of the film during that build-up.

... Mean Girls is also a huge hit, but it's got a lot of inappropriate stuff, so I wouldn't suggest showing it unless you can do so on the D/L and feel that your kids are mature enough to handle it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:39:43 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3973 on: July 20, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »
Thanks Chinguetti!  You dabes.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3974 on: July 20, 2017, 10:58:52 AM »

Moana has been a huge hit for me.

Same for The Croods -- most Korean students have never heard of it, and some will even try to argue about it because they'll think the idea of it is stupid, but it's been the most successful film I've shown so far. They all get super into it.

Inside Out

Zootopia

Dr. Strange

The Amazing Spiderman

Coraline

Coraline is on Korean Netflix.

I generally stick with animated films because most of the students like them, even the ones who claim they don't, while the non-animated films are real hits/misses (a lot of students get bored with the build-up to the main storylines), so it really depends on how much humor, action and/or slapstick is part of the film during that build-up.

... Mean Girls is also a huge hit, but it's got a lot of inappropriate stuff, so I wouldn't suggest showing it unless you can do so on the D/L and feel that your kids are mature enough to handle it.

I showed Coraline to a middle school camp, they liked it, not loved, but seemed to take a while to get into it.  Grade 6 Elementary liked it well enough too.  Zootopia, yes.  Lego Movie was a hit last summer.  Kids are enjoying Boss Baby at the moment.

I've been meaning to get around to watching Kubo and the two strings myself, and Moana.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3975 on: July 20, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »

Only 'cuz you're dabes.

I showed Coraline to a middle school camp, they liked it, not loved, but seemed to take a while to get into it. Grade 6 Elementary liked it well enough too.  Zootopia, yes.  Lego Movie was a hit last summer.  Kids are enjoying Boss Baby at the moment.

I've been meaning to get around to watching Kubo and the two strings myself, and Moana.

Yeah, my kids generally don't get really into it until the first time Coraline goes through the little door. After that they become invested in the film. The difference between liking and loving the film depends on the class and even the time of year it is.

I've found Kubo to be in the same gray area as Coraline, but my kids tend to prefer Coraline.

Yes to Lego Movie -- this is another film that a lot of my kids will scoff at but then will totally get into it once I start showing it. They all have a certain idea about what it is but don't actually know much about it. xD

And I keep getting demands for Boss Baby, too, but haven't shown it, yet, because I feel like it might be one of those hit-or-miss kind of things.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3976 on: July 20, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »

Only 'cuz you're dabes.

I showed Coraline to a middle school camp, they liked it, not loved, but seemed to take a while to get into it. Grade 6 Elementary liked it well enough too.  Zootopia, yes.  Lego Movie was a hit last summer.  Kids are enjoying Boss Baby at the moment.

Yeah, my kids generally don't get really into it until the first time Coraline goes through the little door. After that they become invested in the film. The difference between liking and loving the film depends on the class and even the time of year it is.

I've found Kubo to be in the same gray area as Coraline, but my kids tend to prefer Coraline.

Yes to Lego Movie -- this is another film that a lot of my kids will scoff at but then will totally get into it once I start showing it. They all have a certain idea about what it is but don't actually know much about it. xD

And I keep getting demands for Boss Baby, too, but haven't shown it, yet, because I feel like it might be one of those hit-or-miss kind of things.

Even my rowdiest kids loved Boss Baby. They all showed up to class early today so that we could start the movie sooner. I definitely recommend it.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3977 on: July 20, 2017, 11:50:36 AM »
The VP and secretary are silently bouncing (not a full on jump) with their eyes closed,on opposite sides of the room. I don't know what's happening but there's music from Steamboat Willy (Willie?) playing in the background and I feel uncomfortable. I'm typing this as quietly as I can so as not to break their concentration.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3978 on: July 20, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »
Are these people angry at each other or is that just how they talk?: A Typical Day in Korea  :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #3979 on: July 20, 2017, 12:41:36 PM »
You talk the talk, but do you 딱 the 떡?