June 21, 2018, 12:49:15 PM

Author Topic: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?  (Read 73966 times)

Offline kiwikimchi

• Expert Waygook
Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 09:38:17 AM »
Please explain why its bad to swim at Korean beaches.

Offline EL34

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 11:31:56 AM »

Don't mind him. He's probably one of the young hagwon teachers you'll see crazy drunk at the Boryeong Mud Festival who swim out of the designated safety zone and get instructed to stick closer to the shore by the life guards/coast guard...and then still talk about it months after it's happened.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:45:38 AM by EL34 »

Offline Freeto

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
This is why I don't take anyone seriously when they say Korea cares about the environment.

Korea totes cares about the environment! 2012 Yeosu Expo yo!
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »

Don't mind him. He's probably one of the young hagwon teachers you'll see crazy drunk at the Boryeong Mud Festival who swim out of the designated safety zone and gets instructed to stick closer to the shore by the life guards/coast guard...and he still talks about it months after it's happened.

EL34, I think there is a reason why your post are now moderated.... something to do with personal attacks...hmmm... what.. what..

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 11:51:08 AM »
Anyway, burning trash around here is definitely a problem.  That'll make it way too easy to get rid of your dead hookers!
So does the prevalence of Korean bbqs.

Speaking about disposing of dead hookers, when I was going to Uni, I lived just down the road from the farm where this occured:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3VVQ_Pickton_Pig_Farm_Port_Coquitlam_BC_Canada
It was a bad time for bbq affectionados in the Greater Vancouver Regional District.  :huh: :shocked: :cry: :cry:

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »

Don't mind him. He's probably one of the young hagwon teachers you'll see crazy drunk at the Boryeong Mud Festival who swim out of the designated safety zone and get instructed to stick closer to the shore by the life guards/coast guard...and then still talk about it months after it's happened.

Go to a river and try to go in past your ankles...get yelled at by an ajusshi with a whistle.

Go to a beach and swim past where it's about 4 feet deep...get yelled at by the lifeguards, and get a jetski buzzing around you with more lifeguards yelling at you.

Burn a mountain of trash full of used t.p. and carcinogenic plastic next to an elementary school...nobody cares.

That was my point.

Offline kiwikimchi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 12:05:14 PM »
So the reasons people don't swim at beaches because ajusshi tell people not too??

I was more concerned with the cleanliness of the water.

Offline expatinkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2014, 12:25:58 PM »
Guys, I think we have this all wrong. It's not the air pollution outside that's bad for us, it's the air inside!

My Co-teachers keep trying to open the windows, even though I've explained multiple times I'm sick, and the air from outside is not good for me right now. They have continued to insist that the air outside is better than the air inside, and that it is very easy to get a cold if you don't air the room out. Now, they are going for an Oscar. They've walked around with their mouths covered, sticking their head outside the class then back inside and nodding to each other like the air is so much better in the hallway. Finally, they fled to god knows where, and I hope they stay there.

Offline Freeto

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 12:35:49 PM »
Guys, I think we have this all wrong. It's not the air pollution outside that's bad for us, it's the air inside!

My Co-teachers keep trying to open the windows, even though I've explained multiple times I'm sick, and the air from outside is not good for me right now. They have continued to insist that the air outside is better than the air inside, and that it is very easy to get a cold if you don't air the room out. Now, they are going for an Oscar. They've walked around with their mouths covered, sticking their head outside the class then back inside and nodding to each other like the air is so much better in the hallway. Finally, they fled to god knows where, and I hope they stay there.

LOL I feel your pain. The English teacher I shared an office with til March insisted on opening the windows even in winter - with the wall heater on - for the "fresh" air. Meanwhile, I sat shivering at my desk since the wall heater was my only heat source while she had a radiant heater at her side.  :rolleyes:
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Offline expatinkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 12:45:28 PM »

LOL I feel your pain. The English teacher I shared an office with til March insisted on opening the windows even in winter - with the wall heater on - for the "fresh" air. Meanwhile, I sat shivering at my desk since the wall heater was my only heat source while she had a radiant heater at her side.  :rolleyes:

It makes no sense. For now, I've won the battle. I finish my medication today, so hopefully I'll be back to normal on Monday, and I'll concede then. I won't like it, but oh well.

Offline stevelee0000

• Super Waygook
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »
Anyway, burning trash around here is definitely a problem.  That'll make it way too easy to get rid of your dead hookers!
So does the prevalence of Korean bbqs.

Speaking about disposing of dead hookers, when I was going to Uni, I lived just down the road from the farm where this occured:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3VVQ_Pickton_Pig_Farm_Port_Coquitlam_BC_Canada
It was a bad time for bbq affectionados in the Greater Vancouver Regional District.  :huh: :shocked: :cry: :cry:

Down the road from a farm would mean you were practically the killer's nextdoor neighbor (since farms are usually isolated), and it says the killer offered the ground meat to his family and friends, so hopefully you didn't get too friendly with him  :undecided:
Anyway, my condolences to the victims and their families on that one.

Offline XiaoYan

• Waygookin
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »
The air quality measurements for Korea might deceptively lower than those reported for China and Japan.

http://aqicn.org/map/

Take a look at the link above, select a city in China, Japan and Korea.

Cities in China and Japan have measurements for particulate matter 10 (PM 10) and particulate matter (2.5). While Korea only has measurements for PM 10.

Why does this matter? Because PM 2.5 are the particles that have severe adverse health effects in comparison to PM 10. PM 2.5 are smaller and more toxic particles that travel deeper into the alveoli in your lungs and have longer lasting effects. For more information see: http://www.airinfonow.org/html/ed_particulate.html

If PM 2.5 measurements are being omitted, then the Korean air quality index will seem be healthier than it actually is.

You can find Korea air reports here:
http://www.airkorea.or.kr/airkorea/eng/index.htm
 http://www.airkorea.or.kr/airkorea/index.htm (Korean)

Sneaky.

I had my suspicions.

I just ordered a mask rated for PM2.5 filtration. It cost quite a bit, but I have asthma, and I don't do so well on bad days. The other night I was up coughing for an hour. Just.not.good.
Most people around me have no idea how bad the air is.

My policy is if I can't see the mountain - then I'm wearing a mask.
I tried to read up on what to do about air pollution but all websites say is wear a mask outdoors, limit time outside, try to go out only during morning or evening "when levels are lower", and to stay indoors and keep your windows shut.
This is just not effective though. Korean windows are drafty. Plus, your house gets stuffy. It feels like you're just trapping yourself in with the bad air.

Offline TheTromboner

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »

Go to a river and try to go in past your ankles...get yelled at by an ajusshi with a whistle.

Go to a beach and swim past where it's about 4 feet deep...get yelled at by the lifeguards, and get a jetski buzzing around you with more lifeguards yelling at you.

Burn a mountain of trash full of used t.p. and carcinogenic plastic next to an elementary school...nobody cares.

That was my point.

I was talking to a co-worker the other day, and I mentioned how I'm looking forward to going swimming when it gets a bit warmer out.  She was very concerned, even when I told her I've been swimming for more than twenty years.  She says the ocean is too deep.  I said that after two meters, what does it matter?  I can't touch the bottom anyways.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2014, 10:59:41 AM »
Um, I think the kids coughing is just a cold.  For them, it's still cold and their bodies catch a cold.  Nothing more.  Air does tend to suck at this time of year because of yellow dust, allergens, and what I'm told is pine tree dust spawning out pollen from the mountains.  (Not sure if I believe that last one.) 

Anyhow, looking at the website someone else gave, Korea has never been in the triple digits.  It's air quality resembles that of Southern California or the GTA area of southern Ontario.  Just scroll over to North America to compare.  http://aqicn.org/map/southkorea/

Offline acousticr

• Expert Waygook
  • GEPIK, rural elementary.
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
Um, I think the kids coughing is just a cold.  For them, it's still cold and their bodies catch a cold.  Nothing more.  Air does tend to suck at this time of year because of yellow dust, allergens, and what I'm told is pine tree dust spawning out pollen from the mountains.  (Not sure if I believe that last one.) 

Anyhow, looking at the website someone else gave, Korea has never been in the triple digits.  It's air quality resembles that of Southern California or the GTA area of southern Ontario.  Just scroll over to North America to compare.  http://aqicn.org/map/southkorea/

Korea has been in the triple digits, at least in Seoul and Gyeonggi-do. I keep an eye on it and there have definitely been weeks where it hovers around 130-155. I've only rarely seen the air quality markers hit red, but there have been weeks of orange before. It usually seems to be better along the east coast, especially toward the south.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2014, 11:10:52 AM »
Today one part of Seoul has 155, but most are in the double digits with yellow readings.  I msotly see anywhere from 58 to 75 today.  Most of the time when I go on that site, double digits yellow are what I see.  Doesn't mean there isn't bad air or yellow dust from China, along with the constant humidity that permeates in the air here sometimes year round.

Sometimes, Busan can be bad.  But, Yeosu area might be best along with some parts of the east coast.   

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »
Today one part of Seoul has 155, but most are in the double digits with yellow readings.  I msotly see anywhere from 58 to 75 today.  Most of the time when I go on that site, double digits yellow are what I see.  Doesn't mean there isn't bad air or yellow dust from China, along with the constant humidity that permeates in the air here sometimes year round.

Sometimes, Busan can be bad.  But, Yeosu area might be best along with some parts of the east coast.

I've mentioned, as have some others, Korea doesn't monitor PM2.5. You could probably take any measurement given and level it up for a more accurate description of how healthy the air is.

For example now in Wuxi, China, the PM 2.5 is at 180 (unhealthy) but the PM10 is only at 72 (moderate). Now I'm not saying Korea will be at that level of pollution but take a random click around the http://aqicn.org/map/ site. In Omachi, Saijo, Japan it's at 137 (unhealthy for sensitive groups), however, it's PM10 is at 69 (moderate).  Hongo, Niihama, Japan, It's PM 2.5 is at 129 (again unhealthy), but its PM10 is at 40 (Good).

Korea only has PM10 monitored. That means all those PM2.5 levels (which really count) go unnoticed.

Offline acousticr

• Expert Waygook
  • GEPIK, rural elementary.
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:40 AM »

I've mentioned, as have some others, Korea doesn't monitor PM2.5. You could probably take any measurement given and level it up for a more accurate description of how healthy the air is.

For example now in Wuxi, China, the PM 2.5 is at 180 (unhealthy) but the PM10 is only at 72 (moderate). Now I'm not saying Korea will be at that level of pollution but take a random click around the http://aqicn.org/map/ site. In Omachi, Saijo, Japan it's at 137 (unhealthy for sensitive groups), however, it's PM10 is at 69 (moderate).  Hongo, Niihama, Japan, It's PM 2.5 is at 129 (again unhealthy), but its PM10 is at 40 (Good).

Korea only has PM10 monitored. That means all those PM2.5 levels (which really count) go unnoticed.

Is there a service that does monitor PM2.5?
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2014, 11:54:55 AM »

Is there a service that does monitor PM2.5?

Nope. Apparently the government were bringing it in this year... but who knows.

Offline CanineKimchi

• Super Waygook
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2014, 02:24:52 PM »
Now I get it. All Koreans smoke because the air here is sheeba anyway.