October 19, 2018, 11:27:12 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Your "go to" dinner (with recipe) for romantic dates!  (Read 1855 times)

Offline dippedinblush

• Veteran
Your "go to" dinner (with recipe) for romantic dates!
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:49:01 PM »
I have a date planned with my lover/girlfriend.  We've only had dates in restaurants, hotels, motels etc.  I want to make her a nice dinner, but I don't really have any cooking experience.  Any advice?

Ahh she is Korean.  And really picky about eating foreign foods.  She thinks everything is too salty or too greasy and all that...I am really nervous to cook her anything! 

Please help!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:57:02 PM by dippedinblush »

donovan

Re: Your "go to" dinner (with recipe) for romantic dates!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:24:27 PM »
The first meal I cooked for my now-wife was a simple kimchi spaghetti pasta that she still remembers to this day. Pasta works well for dates because it’s super easy to prepare but it enjoys a foreign, exotic allure. And it’s cheap despite being thought of as an expensive dish here. (Thanks mediocre, over-priced Italian restaurants!)

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 07:33:52 AM »
The first meal I cooked for my now-wife was a simple kimchi spaghetti pasta that she still remembers to this day.

The 퓨전 is 강한 in this 자식!

Real Answer: Like Fusion Guy said, pasta is really simple and cheap to do.  I'd recommend something spicy as pretty much all Koreans like something like that.  Can you make an Arrabiata sauce to go with pasta? 

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/pennealarrabiatapast_83813

Get some proper mozzarella balls also.  Maybe if you let us know more about how 'picky' with foreign food.  Like something she won't touch.

Before Avec and ESL turtle jump in with their advice...

pfft, brah, wasson wid dis nicey nicey wid de buff ladeez?  You'z a'bit neeky?  fly, brah, fly! pick yo'self sum servo sushi and a stringer, blaze a phatty boom batty, get sum crunk on, ged it on wid sum flossing, diss de endz.  Y so dry, brah!  Get on it, y'all! Respectz!

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 07:37:27 AM »
I haven't really been able to cook anything for my gf since I haven't really tried looking for the ingredients. My go-to would be chicken alfredo pasta, but I had to settle for giving her a PB&J. Since it was entirely new to her, she was very impressed. To the point that she showed all her friends. Sometimes its the simple things  :wink:
The World Ends With You

donovan

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:45:22 AM »
The first meal I cooked for my now-wife was a simple kimchi spaghetti pasta that she still remembers to this day.

The 퓨전 is 강한 in this 자식!

Real Answer: Like Fusion Guy said, pasta is really simple and cheap to do.  I'd recommend something spicy as pretty much all Koreans like something like that.  Can you make an Arrabiata sauce to go with pasta? 

Haha. It's really as simple as cutting up some kimchi, real fine like, and frying it a bit with some other veggies before throwing it in with some tomato sauce. Add go-chew paste or powder for extra spice. Adding mayo turns that tomato sauce into a nice rosé.

It happened to be my second foray into fusion, but the bawn-day-gee omelet didn't turn out so well and isn't recommended.

I had to settle for giving her a PB&J. Since it was entirely new to her, she was very impressed. To the point that she showed all her friends. Sometimes its the simple things  :wink:

grilled cheese sandwiches make all the Korean ladies go wild~
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:47:29 AM by donovan »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 07:51:34 AM »
Homemade rosee sauce with shrimp and pasta. Bottle of red. Get some prosciutto and wrap them around some asparagus and cheese.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 07:56:01 AM »
Homemade rosee sauce with shrimp and pasta. Bottle of red. Get some prosciutto and wrap them around some asparagus and cheese.
Something tells me the prosciutto and cheese won't go over too well due to the salty nature, if she is already picky.

That said, a homemade pasta sauce is always nice. I lean towards pesto or alfredo, but the pesto could also be too salty and the she may not be into super creamy things, if she is like a lot of other Koreans. That, or have a big side of pickles~

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »

pfft, brah, wasson wid dis nicey nicey wid de buff ladeez?  You'z a'bit neeky?  fly, brah, fly! pick yo'self sum servo sushi and a stringer, blaze a phatty boom batty, get sum crunk on, ged it on wid sum flossing, diss de endz.  Y so dry, brah!  Get on it, y'all! Respectz!

Dave I'm sorry you didn't get a KJU expression. You were coming up in part deux.

As for the dinner well say no more fam. This is my go to set menu for first dates:

-La Nouille du Triomphe
A meal of pure bliss and flavor - a delicious plate of ramen noodles boiled in the purest of water. Noodles can be flavored with either chicken or beef seasoning.

-Le Repas du Fromage Dйlicieux
A mouthwatering bowl of easy mac cooked to perfection in a microwave. Served with a side of peanut M&Ms.

-Le Sandwich Rouge
A truly phenominal sandwich consisting of ketchup spread over a carefully microwaved piece of bread, and then topped with another piece of bread. Comes with a side of mayonnaise for dipping.

-Le Plat du Lait et de la Cйrйale
A satisfying end to your meal, this dessert consists of a bowl of fruit loops served with either skim or 2% milk. Milk can be substituted with water for those on a diet.

Thank me later.  :wink:

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:15:55 AM by AvecPommesFrites »
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 08:39:46 AM »

Dave I'm sorry you didn't get a KJU expression. You were coming up in part deux.

As for the dinner well say no more fam. This is my go to set menu for first dates:

-La Nouille du Triomphe
A meal of pure bliss and flavor - a delicious plate of ramen noodles boiled in the purest of water. Noodles can be flavored with either chicken or beef seasoning.

A mouthwatering bowl of easy mac cooked to perfection in a microwave. Served with a side of peanut M&Ms.

-Le Sandwich Rouge
A truly phenominal sandwich consisting of ketchup spread over a carefully microwaved piece of bread, and then topped with another piece of bread. Comes with a side of mayonnaise for dipping.

A satisfying end to your meal, this dessert consists of a bowl of fruit loops served with either skim or 2% milk. Milk can be substituted with water for those on a diet.

AKA Gary Glitter's romantic dinner menu.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
Raw oysters and champagne
Tomato salad with whatever dressing she likes
Zaru soba.
Pork tenderloin medallions. Don't cook a lot. Maybe 4-5 medallions each.
Strawberries and truffles (don't go cheap)

You don't want to be full and comatose after dinner.  These are all REALLY easy yet visually appealing. The hardest will be the oysters. If neither of you are oyster fans then just go straight to the salad. People who love oysters LOVE oysters. The truffles and champagne will be expensive but everything else is relatively cheap. A lot of people would go with steak but I think pork tenderloin compliments the meal much better.

It's a refined meal. A classy meal. A simple meal. And it is a really delicious and sensual meal.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:31:52 AM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 09:12:49 AM »
My wife always remembers one that was nothing more than chicken, carrots, some spices (like cayenne, nutmeg, and cinnamon; whatever I had in the apartment), and some hot sauce (Tapatío, I believe), with some coconut oil.

Months later after I'd made it, she showed me a photo she'd taken and wanted me to recreate it.

Oh and on pasta, I always liked Filipino Style spaghetti to be. Even more "different/exotic". The sauce is tomato sauce, tomato paste, banana sauce (banana ketchup), and usually calls for a little bit of brown sugar. And it's different since it uses hot dogs and minced ham, although I've cooked it without.

https://panlasangpinoy.com/2013/09/12/jollibee-style-spaghetti-recipe/

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 09:18:23 AM »

-La Nouille du Triomphe

-Le Sandwich Rouge

AKA Gary Glitter's romantic dinner menu.

Probably better to lay off the Cambodian and Vietnamese cuisine.

Offline friendofcletus

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 09:39:05 AM »

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 09:56:54 AM »
Where to start?
First, I would think hard about what kind of food shes used to. If she's completely unadventurous and her only experiences of foreign food is crappy fusion food, then I would go with Japanese food. Koreans are mostly used to it so it's a safe, if timid option.

If she's okay with something a bit more exciting, go with a simple Italian dish like pasta. I've got a link to a nice easy Ricotta bacon one. That's a ladykiller with a nice glass of a bog standard cheap white wine like a chardonnay.

If she's more open to new things, and you want to blow her ****ing socks off, go Greek with a side of feta and a crisp, acidic white wine to accompany it. Torrentes would be my recommendation.

Now, with regards to Japanese food.  Try this website. it's my go to for Japanese cuisine.
https://www.justonecookbook.com/
If you want to keep it simple, try a Donburi or Yakisoba. They're not elegant, but they can taste extremely good. If you want to put more effort into it, try making one of the fish, pork loin or steak dishes and serve them with some rice and vegetables/salad

Regarding the pasta I mentioned, the recipe is here:
https://www.thekitchn.com/dinner-quick-pasta-with-creamy-71659
Its easy, looks damn good and tastes great.

With regards to greek food, try this website.
http://www.mygreekdish.com/
I would highly recommend the Gemista stuffed veggies. They are a crowd pleaser, but take a while to prepare
http://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/gemista-stuffed-tomatoes-peppers-and-onions/
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 09:59:26 AM »
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 10:08:10 AM »
cook up some steamed hams

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 12:21:24 PM »
Haha, I just came on here to see how many guys would still suggest pasta for the romantic meal.  That's a classic uni era move when you have a steady girlfriend and you have the opportunity to have a house alone.  Pasta and wine.  Classy and original!  I say that as someone who did the exact thing with my first serious gf back in the day. I had a friend in his mid-twenties a few years ago (I'm old), great guy and he was starting to get serious with his Korean girlfriend so wanted to make her a nice romantic meal.  Sure enough, spaghetti.  At least I convinced him to splurge on the Classico over the Ottogi sauce and to add some Worcestershire sauce for something different.  If you're taking the time to make a proper sauce she should be happy.  Never had a really good sauce in a restaurant here.

I vote go with Greek like was mentioned above.  After a few tries I've got tzatziki sauce down. My gf is also Korean and a fussy eater and she had never tried it and quite liked it.  Follow the direction when it tells you to remove the seeds from the cucumber and let it drain.  Also, I guess it makes a difference what appliances you have available.  I make the tzatziki in the blender and cook the meat (pork, chicken) on the grilling setting in my oven.  If you just have a stove top and a pot; pasta time!

And the minute I saw oysters and champagne on this thread I knew that that caricature of a sophisticated Boston Brahmin was not going to disappoint. From his rigid dress code to cosmopolitan palate this guy is the gift that keeps on giving.  Champagne paired with a meal?  How Kardashian.  I'm looking forward to a post where someone asks for tips on a nice beach destination and we get to here about Darts foray to a nameless beach only accessible by periodic mail boat (if you've managed to charm the locals) off the Sardinian Coast.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »
And the minute I saw oysters and champagne on this thread I knew that that caricature of a sophisticated Boston Brahmin was not going to disappoint. From his rigid dress code to cosmopolitan palate this guy is the gift that keeps on giving.  Champagne paired with a meal?  How Kardashian.  I'm looking forward to a post where someone asks for tips on a nice beach destination and we get to here about Darts foray to a nameless beach only accessible by periodic mail boat (if you've managed to charm the locals) off the Sardinian Coast.
The OP asked for a romantic meal to share with her girlfriend.

It sounds to me like she wants to do something really nice, and express her love through preparing something, not impress her. And to maybe indulge together. Maybe set the mood. I personally love champagne and any excuse to break it out is wonderful. Who cares what other people think? If you like champagne, have some champagne. Many people feel the same way. Also, as I said, if you are an oyster lover, live oysters are the greatest treat and you're always happy. Oysters also require no cooking. Soba is incredibly easy to prepare, as are pork tenderloin medallions.

Not only that, as a course meal, all the dishes really work well together. From the saltiness and sourness (lemon) of the oysters to the acidic tartness of tomatoes to the umami of soba and pork to the sweetness of strawberries and sweetness and slight bitterness of truffles. Besides, oysters are commonly linked to, uh, romanticism, as are of course chocolates and strawberries. The meal can be quite visually appealing, yet is very easy to prepare while still showing enough effort. It's also rather affordable if you forego champagne and truffles (which I wouldn't), yet still has an upscale appearance. Also, the various parts of the meal allow for various moods.

Also, another part is that the meal is pretty guilt free. "I'm going to have to exercise for 2 hours to burn this off" is not in the back of someone's mind.

Pasta is so played.

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 01:14:27 PM »
French onion soup, grilled smoked salmon and green beans with a nice wine. Beautifully prepared.

Or a decadent Greek salad with a nice wine.

Or pasta. Doesn't matter how 'played' it is if you do it right. :)

Online robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 01:54:03 PM »
I went with pasta and wine for the first time I cooked for my picky Korean bf. It went down well although after repeating it a few times he eventually told me he was sick of pasta. My bf actually loves to cook so I usually let him take the reigns and buy the ingredients, buy the drinks, or prepare a salad or something. Does your gf like cooking? Maybe preparing something together could be fun. I occasionally cook a traditional Sunday roast; you could try taking her way out of her comfort zone with a traditional dish you're familiar with. All complaints can be met with the mocK-appalled "THIS IS THE FOOD OF MY PEOPLE"  :wink: