June 24, 2018, 02:05:13 AM

Author Topic: Foreigners who dress bad  (Read 6513 times)

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
Re: Foreigners who dress bad
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2018, 01:19:57 PM »
"Foreigners who dress bad."
Foreigners who speak English bad(ly).
 :wink: :laugh:

LOL who are you to claim what is good and bad English? You must be from England. 'Merica has the best English. Mess with me, papi.  :police:

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »
    I dress up for school, all tidy like the Bay of Fundy. Afterwards, I get home, change into one of my hobo outfits, and then go out to gleefully sabotage the collective reputation of all Westerners in Korean.
 Yes, it's all my fault.  :evil:

LOL who are you to claim what is good and bad English? You must be from England. 'Merica has the best English. Mess with me, papi.  :police:
I've been to England. Does that count?
And to answer your question; I red something by Shakespear once, so now I'm the final word on all things english. Its why they payed top dollarz to bring me all the way across the planet to liek, learn them proper!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:49:09 PM by kyndo »

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2018, 01:44:24 PM »
    I dress up for school, all tidy like the Bay of Fundy.

Does the height of your waistline vary drastically throughout the workday?

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 01:53:12 PM »
    I dress up for school, all tidy like the Bay of Fundy.
Does the height of your waistline vary drastically throughout the workday?
No. Working at a school, one could get into an ocean of trouble for that. Trouble like you would have to sea in order to believe. A tsumani of grief, so to speak. Spacifically, enough trouble to tide one over for the rest of one's life!

Offline JVPrice

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 01:54:19 PM »
I typically just wear jeans and a polo shirt. My students and co-teachers alike compliment my "fashion". May as well look good if it'll help in this appearance-driven culture.
The World Ends With You

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 02:22:38 PM »
When I was in Korea, I was always well-dressed in either my casual clothing or
my suit and tie. I set examples of how to dress descent when I go to work. Even
when I am in my jeans on my downtime I do it in a modest way.

God bless you.

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2018, 02:24:02 PM »
I used to care more about how I appeared to others. I feel freer and more relaxed now that I don't dress to impress. If you like to have a certain style/appearance, power to you. What is think is silly is saying a suit or any more formal clothing is comfortable. That's simply not true. Getting upset about how other people dress seems like unnecessary worry.

Give me boosts, soft pants, and a t-shirt. True, I may not attract fashionistas, but fashion seems like a peripheral, not core personal attribute.

PS: Part of the reason I fell off the fashion bandwagon was that it seemed like it was a very niche group of Internet bros who knew what's what. Be like Rick Owens and hit the gym to make shitty clothes look better.

I acknowledge that final remark about hitting the gym. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, mate.

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »
Simple guide for men:

Winter- Pants, belt, tucked in dress shirt OR sweater, shoes (not sneakers)
Summer- Pants, belt, polo shirt, shoes

Exception: Your class/work involves some sort of outdoor/exercise/etc activity. In this case sneakers or boots are permissible. Sneakers are also fine if long periods of walking or other activity is expected where one might damage their shoes.

Men should never wear shorts unless they're playing sports or on safari. Always wear a belt. This isn't rocket science folks.

Amen.

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »
I typically just wear jeans and a polo shirt. My students and co-teachers alike compliment my "fashion". May as well look good if it'll help in this appearance-driven culture.

A decent representation, God bless you mate!  8)

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2018, 02:38:50 PM »
I was unsure of whether this was in regards to work or personal attire. I think these two can, but are not necessarily different. If your school expects certain dress, do that. If your school was like all of mine, super casual was common. Lot of teachers worse shorts and t-shirts outside of physical activity-related stuff. A good chunk wore short sleeved shirts and pants. Although I think it's less bad to be slightly overdressed than underdressed, either way is not optimal.

Of course if you want to leverage style for points, then dress how you think the powers that be want you to dress.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »
When I first came to Korea I dressed exactly how the Principal at that school dressed.
A massive, billowy suit. I looked like David Byrne from Talking Heads in the Stop Making Sense concert movie.

The principal appreciated it and I was rewarded with a generous raise. Which I invested in myself. New suits, each shinier and bigger than the last.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:57:07 PM by zola »
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline minji94

• Adventurer
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2018, 06:34:09 PM »
I wear this shirt when I'm teaching my elementary kids...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I need this

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2018, 08:12:43 PM »
I wear this shirt when I'm teaching my elementary kids...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I need this

As if anybody, students or teacher, needs a reminder :cheesy:

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2018, 08:55:11 PM »
Koreans hardly set a high bar for fashion.  They either over-do the 80's element and wear super baggy t-shirts, or go super skinny and look like hookers and rent boys.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2018, 07:51:48 AM »
I'm wearing shorts today. Far too humid. My official 'co-teacher', who I don't teach any classes with, thinks she's the fashion police, so I'll make sure to stop by her classroom today just to see her reaction.  :laugh:

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2018, 07:52:13 AM »
If could be any day of the week, for any reason, I'm wearing my comfy shoes. I can handle a suit, but my shoes? They have to be comfy.

(img)seinfeld pics(/img)

Seinfeld: A pioneer in comedy perhaps, but he's not quite as recognised in the fashion world. The pirate shirt was quite a statement, however.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »
Koreans hardly set a high bar for fashion.  They either over-do the 80's element and wear super baggy t-shirts, or go super skinny and look like hookers and rent boys.

I can't wait for the polo shirts with the popped collars to return. We're almost there.

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2018, 08:09:53 AM »

I can't wait for the polo shirts with the popped collars to return. We're almost there.

They are already here. They print the brand on the underside of the collars now specifically to be popped. It's good actually lets you know how the d-bags are without having to speak to them.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2018, 08:17:51 AM »

They are already here. They print the brand on the underside of the collars now specifically to be popped. It's good actually lets you know how the d-bags are without having to speak to them.

Aw, can't believe I haven't seen it around in my parts, yet. But then again I've been staying in instead of going out for walks and jogs at night these days. If the air is good tonight, I'm gonna have to do myself the favor.

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2018, 09:06:29 AM »
Teachers do not wear jeans or shorts at work on a Monday. Period.

(Fridays are another matter.)

I have seen great teachers rock t-shirts with dress pants.

I wear tailor-made short-sleeved button-up shirts with tailored, pleated pants. (I used to wear suit jacket in winter and neckties every single regular work day for my first eight years here, but then I had to start teaching a kindy class at 1pm every afternoon and they kept pulling my necktie and as a lifelong cat caretaker I know the best solution is to take away the temptation because the impulse will remain and the self-control isn't to be expected without a great deal of behavior modification stern training.)