October 17, 2018, 08:19:35 PM

Author Topic: Precious Korean Moments  (Read 7973 times)

Offline internationalteacher

• Veteran
Re: Precious Korean Moments
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2018, 10:07:24 AM »
An attractive tall black girl 25 years younger than me and who had long wavy hair gave me the come on at this popular bar in Busan. I'll never forget her.

Offline kea.kate

• Adventurer
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2018, 01:27:59 AM »
The taxi drivers have been very nice so far even with my limited Korean (been in Korea for 3 weeks now).  ;D

There's definitely good ones and bad ones. At the KTX terminal they have like a taxi helper guy who loads your luggage to the next taxi waiting in line. I saw him get screamed at by a taxi driver because the customers he got were Chinese and he couldn't understand them. So he cursed at the helper guy for 2 minutes before finally driving off @.@ But lots of them are super nice too! haha

How are you liking Korea so far?? :D

Offline CypherSoul

• Adventurer
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2018, 03:59:18 AM »
The taxi drivers have been very nice so far even with my limited Korean (been in Korea for 3 weeks now).  ;D

There's definitely good ones and bad ones. At the KTX terminal they have like a taxi helper guy who loads your luggage to the next taxi waiting in line. I saw him get screamed at by a taxi driver because the customers he got were Chinese and he couldn't understand them. So he cursed at the helper guy for 2 minutes before finally driving off @.@ But lots of them are super nice too! haha

Hehe! Yeah I am pretty sure i'll come across the not so nice ones too but Daegu seems to have pretty nice people! And its been pretty good, just been sick lately but otherwise really loving it so far! ^_^
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Offline kea.kate

• Adventurer
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2018, 02:45:05 AM »

Hehe! Yeah I am pretty sure i'll come across the not so nice ones too but Daegu seems to have pretty nice people! And its been pretty good, just been sick lately but otherwise really loving it so far! ^_^

Ooooh I got sick a ton when I first got here too, like a few months :( It could be the pollution or something. I'm in Seoul though so a little extra smoggy probably.

I'm glad Daegu is good!! And hope you feel better soon~ ^^

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2018, 07:46:54 AM »

Ooooh I got sick a ton when I first got here too, like a few months :( It could be the pollution or something. I'm in Seoul though so a little extra smoggy probably.

Don't be so sure about that. A friend of mine recently went from Dongdaegu Station to his home in Gyeongsan and the taxi driver tried to force a "flat fee" on him, rather than using the meter. Granted, he paid by card and I told him to report the guy and he'd get his money back. He did just that and did manage to get his money back. And FYI, my friend is Korean. He just has one of those faces that says "I'm a mark. Please take advantage of me." And he doens't tend to know the rules/laws.

Offline kea.kate

• Adventurer
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2018, 01:38:00 AM »

Don't be so sure about that. A friend of mine recently went from Dongdaegu Station to his home in Gyeongsan and the taxi driver tried to force a "flat fee" on him, rather than using the meter. Granted, he paid by card and I told him to report the guy and he'd get his money back. He did just that and did manage to get his money back. And FYI, my friend is Korean. He just has one of those faces that says "I'm a mark. Please take advantage of me." And he doens't tend to know the rules/laws.

Yeaaaah they're not supposed to do that flat fee thing...but they do if they think they can get away with it.

My friends and I were trying to get a taxi on a snowy night. Like super snowy, roads pretty slick. We were freezing our butts off for 20 minutes before we finally got one to take us. He said 10,000 flat rate, even though we were only going like one subway station away.

My friend, not wanting to accept that, yelled at him and said he couldn't do that. I dunno what she thought would happen, like he would suddenly realize the error of his ways or something, but instead he kicked us out of the cab and we had to walk in the freezing snow and ice.

True, it's against the law for him to do that...but I was more upset with my friend tbh. Nearly froze to death walking home  :(

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2018, 07:04:46 AM »

Yeaaaah they're not supposed to do that flat fee thing...but they do if they think they can get away with it.

My friends and I were trying to get a taxi on a snowy night. Like super snowy, roads pretty slick. We were freezing our butts off for 20 minutes before we finally got one to take us. He said 10,000 flat rate, even though we were only going like one subway station away.

My friend, not wanting to accept that, yelled at him and said he couldn't do that. I dunno what she thought would happen, like he would suddenly realize the error of his ways or something, but instead he kicked us out of the cab and we had to walk in the freezing snow and ice.

True, it's against the law for him to do that...but I was more upset with my friend tbh. Nearly froze to death walking home  :(

I never leave a cab. They aren't going to physically remove you.
I only pay flat rate after midnight on new years.
I get in, and if there is any BS, I take a picture of the license and the driver, and restate my request while recording. I pay the meter, then report him anyway.

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »
I get in, and if there is any BS, I take a picture of the license and the driver, and restate my request while recording. I pay the meter, then report him anyway.

Savage

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2018, 03:20:13 PM »

yep. last time i reported a taxi for not taking me where i want to go, they got a 200,000won fine

Offline kea.kate

• Adventurer
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2018, 01:40:09 AM »

yep. last time i reported a taxi for not taking me where i want to go, they got a 200,000won fine

You guys are on it! I never report anybody cause I don't wanna bother with it :/ I did get a driver caught on accident though.

You know how they're not actually allowed to refuse to take you? Well on the main street in Gangnam (notorious for passengers being refused) I finally hailed one down, told him where I was going through the window, he waved me away and started to drive off. Which is when some cops jumped outta nowhere and stopped him and gave him a fine.

He was soooo mad he got out and was screaming and kicking his car. I pretty much just ran away @.@ but I did feel kinda satisfied he got caught ^^

Online T.J.

• Veteran
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2018, 05:45:51 AM »
I miss the days of taxis accepting multiple fares or ride sharing (합승). Always made getting a cab easier and usually a more interesting ride home late night after a night out. Just another example of Korea losing uniqueness.
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2018, 07:34:52 AM »

I remember one of my former co-workers (a foreigner) told me that he had a friend who refused to get out of a cab in Korea, so the taxi driver called the cops on him and the guy ended up spending the night in jail.

Offline CypherSoul

• Adventurer
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2018, 08:16:15 AM »

Thank you so much!!!  :angel: :angel: :angel: I have been told by numerous Koreans its the dust from China so yeah??? The air is pretty bad. I know a lot of the Daegu native teachers have fallen ill, so we are all in the same boat. I have been getting better though which is a plus.

Question, is Korean medicine stronger than ones you might get from back home or no?

I did bring British medication but I can't figure out which one is better, Korean or the British one.  :cry:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2018, 08:51:17 AM »
I remember one of my former co-workers (a foreigner) told me that he had a friend who refused to get out of a cab in Korea, so the taxi driver called the cops on him and the guy ended up spending the night in jail.

Was he incredibly drunk and trying to sleep? I've seen that before- Korean and foreigner. Hell, that's so common it might be a viable business.

Cab Motels: Now with your choice of interior- vomit resistant plastic or vomit resistant rubber.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2018, 10:19:47 AM »
Was he incredibly drunk and trying to sleep? I've seen that before- Korean and foreigner. Hell, that's so common it might be a viable business.

I don't think so, but my former co-worker's friend (the guy who refused to get out of the cab) was a foreigner as well.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2018, 11:38:48 AM »
Cab Motels: Now with your choice of interior- vomit resistant plastic or vomit resistant rubber.
Oh hey, it the 'jump-to-odd-conclusions' game!
Let me try:
Mezoti's pal accidentally referred to the East Sea as the Sea of Japan, so the cab driver locked the poor sod in and then phoned the cops on him for 'refusing to leave'. Hilarity ensued. :wink:

donovan

« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2018, 11:50:11 AM »
I miss the days of taxis accepting multiple fares or ride sharing (합승). Always made getting a cab easier and usually a more interesting ride home late night after a night out. Just another example of Korea losing uniqueness.

Rubbed me the wrong way when they charged both passengers full fare...

Offline kea.kate

• Adventurer
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2018, 01:57:18 AM »

I thought they still did that tbh, although I never took them myself.

I did share a cab with a stranger though once...horrible mistake, I almost got myself a stalker.

Offline kea.kate

• Adventurer
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2018, 02:03:52 AM »

Thank you so much!!!  :angel: :angel: :angel: I have been told by numerous Koreans its the dust from China so yeah??? The air is pretty bad. I know a lot of the Daegu native teachers have fallen ill, so we are all in the same boat. I have been getting better though which is a plus.

Question, is Korean medicine stronger than ones you might get from back home or no?

I did bring British medication but I can't figure out which one is better, Korean or the British one.  :cry:

Oh good I'm glad!!

Aaaaah well to be honest I'm not too sure myself :/ I used just Tylenol for the most part cause I'm familiar with it.

If you do go to the doctor (super cheap here), they give you the prescription and the pharmacy will put it all in these little packets and let you know how often to take it. I was confused at first cause there's like a bunch of pills usually, but I learned that American medicine often puts a bunch of medications in one pill, but you don't always need all of that stuff. So I think Korean's just break it up more, so it's the same amount of medicine, just more pills.

ALSO!!! If you ever have a fever go to the doctor!! I don't know about you but I can't handle fever and chills, I kinda just wanna die. In America I would just deal cause doctor visits cost an arm and a leg. But when you go to the doctor in Korea with a fever they give you a shot in the butt (super awkward and surprising the first time) and it works sooooo fast you start feeling better in like 15 minutes. Highly recommend ^^

Online T.J.

• Veteran
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2018, 05:41:00 AM »

I thought they still did that tbh, although I never took them myself.

I did share a cab with a stranger though once...horrible mistake, I almost got myself a stalker.

They put an end to it in the lead up to the 2002 World Cup. It wasn’t two people sharing a fare from point A to B. The cab driver would slow as people shouted out there destination as you were riding and if their destination was on the way or past your stop then he’d pick them up and piggyback a second fare.
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers