August 16, 2018, 02:15:06 AM

Author Topic: F2-7 Visa: A Question (and a Resource)  (Read 2658 times)

Offline PaulineMacLeod

• Waygookin
F2-7 Visa: A Question (and a Resource)
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:33:42 AM »
My first teaching year (2016-2017) in Korea is over. And my time is coming up for applying for this F2-7 visa. If I am successful, I want to use this thread as a place where people can give updated information.

My advice to everyone who is done with a first year of teaching in Korea: do not just look for a switch from E2 to F2-7. Get the E2 renewal first, and then try for the F2-7 whenever you like since you have the E2 safely in hand. (After all, if your E2 renewal fails, then you will go into a D10 status. And even if your D10 status lasts for just one day and you return to a renewed E2, your visa clock goes back to zero because of your day on that D10---and F2-7 hopefuls will be screwed for another year of waiting.)

I have been assembling documents and authentications like crazy for nearly two years in Canada and Korea. Here is my final submission when I go to the immigration office later this month. Can anyone tell me if I am leaving anything out?

Age (25 points): Passport

Education (33 points): Doctoral degree (apostilled), doctoral school transcript in an envelope that has been signed and sealed by the university officers (33 points).

Korean ability (14 points): original KIIP certificiate for level 3 (사회통합프로그램 교육확인서)---it is a material completion certificate, since I failed the final exam in my first attempt at level 3. There is no way to find this certificate or print this online (although internet gossip says that level 4 or level 5 graduates can print a certificate online). The education center of the class where I took my KIIP class emailed it to me. But I did not want a PDF file; I wanted an original authenticated version. But my KIIP education center had so much trouble with mailing the physical document to me that I wound up going there myself. A hassle? Sure. But I got it.

Annual Income (3 or 4 points?): 근로소득 원천징수영수증 / 근로소득 지 급명세서 saying I earned 5.3 million KRW in December 2016, with a 갑종근로소득에 대한 소득세원천징수확인서 saying I earned 39.5 million KRW in the eleven months from January 2017 to November 2017.

Immigration has to use information for the past year (which I assume means the last twelve months). Will they credit me with only 39.5 million KRW (3 points) or 39.5 million KRW + 5.3 million KRW = 44.8 million KRW (4 points)? I hope it is 4 points, since December 2016 to November 2017 is 12 months (but January 2017 to November 2017 is only 11 months)!

National Taxes (1 or 2 points?): 근로소득 원천징수영수증 / 근로소득 지 급명세서 saying I paid 0.4 million KRW in taxes in December 2016, with a 갑종근로소득에 대한 소득세원천징수확인서 saying I paid 1.7 million KRW in taxes in the eleven months from January 2017 to November 2017.

Immigration has to use information for the past year (which I assume means the last twelve months). Will they credit me with only 1.7 million KRW in taxes (1 point) or 0.4 million KRW + 1.7 million KRW = 2.1 million KRW (2 points)? I hope it is 2 points, since December 2016 to November 2017 is 12 months (but January 2017 to November 2017 is only 11 months)!

Study Experience in Korea (0 or 1 points): Transcript of a Korean class (graded only as pass / fail) that I took under a D2 (student) visa from 2014 to 2015 at a university in Korea. The class was only part of a fellowship that I did in Korea. I passed the class.

Internet gossip says that immigration will not accept any work in this area unless it is part of a degree earning program in Korea. Seriously, really? But other internet gossip says that the Korean class only needs to be from an accredited university located in Korea.

Anyway, when I was renewing my E2 visa, I managed to sneak in a bunch of questions (and documents) about what would happen if I were to apply for an F2-7 visa on that day. The (very annoyed, likely because she did not know anything about the F2-7 visa) lady at the window told me that my transcript was fine, but who knows? Immigration can do whatever they want.

Overseas professional work experience related to my major (3 points): I was a research fellow (for nine months) and a tutor in my home country (for two years). My university president signed a letter that says I was a research fellow whose duties included teaching students. My tutoring company CEO also signed a letter saying that I taught kids for two years. Both letters have been notarized and apostilled. I also have tax returns for this time. I am also giving the business registration documents of my tutoring center. The business registration documents have been authenticated by my home province (Quebec).

Other documents:
1. 재직증명서 (employment verification): dated the day of my immigration visit. Does it have to be the exact day of my immigration visit?
2. 거주지 확인서 (proof of residence): I have the original copy of my housing contract. Does it have to be original? In addition, I am also bringing the "Advance Notice on Expiration of Your Stay" mailed to me at my address. The document actually says, "You may use this notice as a document proving your place of residence."
3. 사업자득록증 사본 (employer's business license with number): This is a copy. Must I bring the original? The principal says that employees never touch the original of this.
4. 운영등록증 (operational license): This is a copy. Must I bring the original? The principal says that employees never touch the original of this.

5. My contract for my second year of work, signed with the seal of my hagwon. It was also signed by me.
6. Form Number 34---the 통합신청서 (신고서). Filled out by me.
7. I am bringing the photos that I took at the photo booth at the immigration office. One of the photos is no longer with me since I pasted it on my E2 renewal. But since they accepted that photo, the officer should be fine with my photo.
8. Business card of my boss.
9. The actual fee. Now, this is where I have a question. Can I just bring my documents to the window and see if the dude is okay with my application? After that, I will go to another window to pay my 150,000 KRW fee (or whatever it is) in cash. But would the officer be okay with me "running away" for a moment or two to get the certificate saying that I paid? Or do I have to have the certificate saying that I paid the fee before the officer bothers to even look at my stuff?

In short, despite all my prep....anything can happen in the Wrinkled Maple Leaf of Korea. There is still a scenario where I get only 79 points and I fail, for example:

Age 25 + Education 33 + KIIP 14 + Income 3 + Taxes 1 + Korean Study 0 + Overseas Work 3 = 79

Or I might succeed:

Age 25 + Education 33 + KIIP 14 + Income 4 + Taxes 2 + Korean Study 1 + Overseas Work 3 = 82

Thank you for any feedback.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:37:04 PM by PaulineMacLeod »

Offline rizwan.qamar

• Explorer
Re: F2-7 Visa: A Question (and a Resource)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 07:57:29 PM »
@PaulineMacLeod Any update on this? Did you apply and did you get the visa?

I have these questions:
  • How many points did you get for salary?
  • How many points did you get for tax?
  • How is one year calculated, is it last 12 months or Jan-Dec?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:15:19 PM by rizwan.qamar »

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 09:56:10 AM »
I'm interested in knowing the answer to this as well. I plan to eventually go for the F-2-7, but it is still a couple years down the road for me.  I did think some things were off on your math based on what I'd learned from online research (based on other people's experiences).

25 for age is right; if you're in that age bracked.

33 is right with your PhD.

I think your KIIP calculation is off. If you failed the level 3 exam, I would assume that they'll only give you 12 points for completing level 2.

Annual income, I think you're probably off on. They typically go on tax documents from the prior year. But I don't know how they'd deal with it in your case, as most people don't apply for the F-2-7 after only being here for a year. So I'm not sure what the points would be for that....

Unless I was reading things wrong, I don't think you'd get any points for taxes. Admittedly, the language on their English point charts is a bit off. But the 1 point mark says "less than 100-200 million won". So you may get that one point, but looking at the rest of the chart it reads as though you were to have made between 100-200 million won in tax payments. It's weird.

I would imagine that you'd get that 1 point for study experience, if you studied Korean at a university here and you have certification of the pass/fail.

I also don't think they'll give points for fellowship or tutoring... just a guess there.

Hope things worked out for you anyway though! Seems like they're being more stingy with the F-2-7s these days. :-/ Best of luck!

Offline PaulineMacLeod

• Waygookin
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »
For people who don't have time to read, here's the short summary: I was accepted at the window in December, but later got a letter saying that the higher authorities had rejected my application. And I was out of 130,000 KRW with no refund. A crying shame. The internet only has one similar story, and I thought that this happened rarely. (It doesn't.) The internet has only one such story that we know about, and now a second with mine. But a call to 1345 seems to say that an accepted-at-the-window / rejected-later-on-through-a-letter-from-the-higher-ups outcome is more common than you think.

But here's what happened in December with my points breakdown:
Age: 25 accepted, 33 PhD accepted, KIIP 14 accepted (yes, sojuadventurer, I failed the KIIP 3 exam, but I took the class again for the material completion certificate, which is the same thing as 14 points).
Income: The lady accepted 갑종근로소득에 대한소득세원천징수혹번서 with twelve months listed of income for 4 points
Taxes: I tried using twelve months of 갑종근로소득에 대한소득세원천징수혹번서 (2 points) for taxes, but alas, I got stopped here because only the year-end tax statement from the previous year (issued by the tax office only, not your workplace) is good. Since I only came into Korea at the end of 2016, and was applying in the end of 2017, the 2017 statement had been not prepared. So all I had was a tiny amount of tax from the end of 2016, which wasn't enough.

So basically, after all that, I was at 76 points. But I had about more than 3 years of work experience from Canada certified by apostilled and authenticated letters of CEOs, all in fields relevant to my major, and all NOT overlapping. So far, I looked like a cinch for 5 more points and the visa.

And here is where things finally unraveled---for a reason that, for all my research over the past THREE YEARS (or so), I could not have learned because no one else seems to have had this problem.

The lady hesitated because my MA/PhD years overlapped with my work years. I told her that, given unemployment rates in Canada and the need for a job, no one studies/works Korean-style (i.e., school first, then work). In the West, many people combine full-time work with full-time school. It's possible, depending on the flexibility of your educational program. The lady accepted that argument.

But it would have been safer and more correct to have appropriate documentation proving that my MA/PhD years and my work years did not overlap. This could only have been done with a statement of my enrollment dates in the MA and PhD---which I didn't have at the time.

But here is where my poor listening Korean skills (and my lack of information on refund procedures) killed me. The lady might have said to me (but I'm not sure), "I can send this up to the higher authorities, but if they reject you, it's not my problem." I didn't know that a rejection at the window could lead to a 100% refund. If I had known that, I would have been like, "Okay, sure, I'll stop the application today and get new documents proving that my degree programs and full-time work did not overlap---and keep my 130,000 KRW." But I was so eager at the time, and maybe I was only listening to what I wanted to hear (the lady was unusually nice to me, btw). So, perhaps fatally---I submitted the application.

If a nice lady at immigration is trying to tell you stop applying, listen to her! She or he is trying to do you a favor so that the higher ups do not reject you and eat your money!

Anyway, my Korean-fluent friend called immigration after my rejection letter came in the mail, and of course the immigration officers (despite my friend yelling at them) told them that they do not recognize work that overlaps with school. But the superior/unseen immigration officers DID say that all my other points were valid (including the income-proving 갑종근로소득에 대한소득세원천징수혹번서). They even added a point to my application for my Summer Korean credit-earning class at a university in Korea---a summer class that wasn't part of a degree program in Korea. They only recognized my Canadian work experience from my PhD graduation to my arrival in Korea. So, in short, 25 age + 33 PhD + 14 KIIP + 4 income korea + 1 canadian work + 1 korean school in korea = 78 (fail).

Anyway, it was back to the drawing board and I quickly assembled documents proving that I had at least three years of work experience that did not overlap with my schooling. Yes, these three years were broken up. But it doesn't matter to immigration as long as the numbers add up.

Well, I came back to immigration and a different (and very mean) lady told me that I finally had five points for work experience in Canada. But, unlike the previous window lady (AND THE HIGHER UNSEEN AUTHORITIES!!!), she would not accept my 갑종근로소득에 대한소득세원천징수혹번서 (12 months) for income points. And she refused to accept my Korean schooling in Korea, unlike the previous window lady and the abovementioned unseen authorities. So the internet rumors may be true. They will only accept Korean classes in degree-earning programs. But then why did the window lady in December and the higher ups in December accept my Summer Korean class unconnected to a degree? Baffling!

So tomorrow, I'm going to go to the tax office to get my year-end income statement, proving my income of over 40,000,000 KRW (4 points). My boss gave me a 근로소득 지급명세서 / 근로소득 원천징수영수증 for 2017, which I assume is the proof of taxation.

It would seem that my only hurdle is just getting the "right" tax and income documents, but I should be okay. Can anyone help me clarify? I'm going to immigration early next week. Still, I think I should be fine with 25 age + 33 PhD + 14 KIIP + 4 income (2017) + 2 taxes (2017) + 5 (Canadian work) = 83.

Offline cescudero95

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »
So is it necessary to notarize / apostille documents related to my work experience in the states in order to acquire the related points?

Offline PaulineMacLeod

• Waygookin
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »
As a rule, the more notarization stamps and authentications you have, the better.
That said, I lost all my notarized documents in my failing December 2017 application at the window.
But when I came back with only xeroxes of all my authenticated documents, no one said anything.
Still, experiences vary!

Offline rizwan.qamar

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 03:10:26 PM »
This may help someone someday, so I will post my experience:

I went to apply for F2-7 with following documents:
  • 고용계약서 (Employee Contract)
  • 근로소득 원천징수영수증 (Withholding tax of Last year) I got it from my company and they stamped it, however, you can also print it from HomeTax but I am not sure who will stamp it in that case
  • 원천징수영수증 / 갑종근로 소득에 대한 소득세 원천 징수 확인서 (Employee Tax Record current year) Any one of them is fine and it is issued by the company
  • 사업자 등록증 (Business Reg. Cert of Company)
  • Volunteer experience 3 year
  • 사업자 등록증 (Business Reg. Cert of NGO I volunteered for)

My points division:
  • 23 age (Based on Passport)
  • 32 Master (Degree)
  • 12 KIIP (Can be printed form socinet website)
  • 3 income (갑종근로 소득에 대한 소득세 원천 징수 확인서 )
  • 1 Work abroad
  • 4 (Master from Korea)
  • 5 (Volunteer points)
  • 1 taxes (근로소득 원천징수영수증) (Was not counted not sure why)

Total = 81 (In my calculation)

However, I had a -1 because I was fined (less than a million) in January of 2017 and it will be applicable for 2 years. Moreover, the lady did not give me any point for tax and my points ended up to be 79. The lady asked me to pay the visa fee and later on told me that I do not qualify to get this visa as I have 79 points, she gave me back my ARC and kept all the documents and stamped my receipt that decision will be made later "(추후통보)".

Some documents say "100 - 200 Mil Won" will get you 1 point, it is wrong, "100 - 200 Man Won" (1-2 Mil Won) will get you 1 point, I checked it in the document immigration officer was using.

At this point, I feel she tricked me into paying the money  :-[

Will update once I get a response!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:53:04 AM by rizwan.qamar »

Offline PaulineMacLeod

• Waygookin
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 02:25:43 PM »
What an awful experience! Poor Rizwan!

By the way, I don't know what happened for you. The lady should have returned all your documents and told you to ask for a refund. Since she clearly told you that you fell beneath 80 points, she had no reason whatsoever to collect your documents (you will never get them back again) AND confiscate your fee.

A question to everyone:

What tax documents does one need to prove income and taxes? I know what the official immigration ministry document says, so please don't direct me to that website. But.....the handout still isn't clear. I thought that the necessary documents come every February 28. Now, after a visit to the tax office, I am told that these documents do not come out for anyone (Koreans and visitors) until...May???? Please provide some clarification, if you can. Thank you so much.

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 02:32:31 PM »
February 28. Now, after a visit to the tax office, I am told that these documents do not come out for anyone (Koreans and visitors) until...May???? Please provide some clarification, if you can. Thank you so much.

i think the deadline to SUBMIT your info is Feb 28th, those details are updated on the tax system by May. Korea has quite a few people living in it.

If you had lived in Korea more more than 1 year and you applied before May, you would get the previous years info, if you see what I mean....

Offline PaulineMacLeod

• Waygookin
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 03:10:22 PM »
<<i think the deadline to SUBMIT your info is Feb 28th, those details are updated on the tax system by May. Korea has quite a few people living in it.

If you had lived in Korea more more than 1 year and you applied before May, you would get the previous years info, if you see what I mean....>>

Ah, well, that would explain why my 2016 form has a bunch of numbers that look like my income/taxes but my 2017 form still has....nothing. =(

Offline rizwan.qamar

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »
@PaulineMacLeod
Can you give me name of the document you are looking at for the year 2016. Is it this document? http://wmgfox.tistory.com/57

Offline PaulineMacLeod

• Waygookin
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 02:52:07 AM »
Dear Rizwan,

The tax office gave me the following document for the tax year 2017:
근로소득 원친징수영수증 / 근로소득 지 급 명세서 (calendar year 2017)
갑종근로소득에 대한소득세원천징수혹번서 (for every month from January 2017 to March 2018---or fifteen months. Just in case)
...which, I hope and pray and believe, is good enough for income.

But I have no idea about how to prove my tax points, and this whole process is crazy. A call to the tax office reveals that the SPECIFIC tax document requested by the F2-7 tax points section in the immigration handout......won't even be available until May.

So, all I have for taxes is a 납세증명서 for the year 2017, which is useless, I believe.
My year 2016 document won't even be used for anything, but the title of this document is 소득금액증명....which actually contains the amount of income that I received...in 2016 (but again, this 2016 document will be useless for the 2018 F2-7 application). But I believe immigration wants to see the 소득금액증명 to prove...taxation?! I have no idea, and I am about to just throw up my hands in the air.

I think I'd feel more comfortable if someone could just tell me that the 근로소득 원친징수영수증 / 근로소득 지 급 명세서 in conjunction with all my months of 갑종근로소득에 대한소득세원천징수혹번서 (들.....) would suffice for proof of both income and taxation, so I can just rake in all six points (4 income, 2 taxes).

Offline PaulineMacLeod

• Waygookin
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 11:53:02 PM »
It seems that I had a slightly (but not totally) similar experience to Rizwan's (I went to immigration this week).

The lady just told me that immigration didn't have enough time to examine my documents.

They took my documents and money. Then, they took my ARC and gave me a temporary ID. But she made sure to emphasize the fact that she didn't know if I had sufficient documentation or not. Then she said some Korean monologue about refunds that I did not understand. For all I know, I might have just given a donation to immigration. =(

From what I could tell out of the corner of my eye, quite a few people were leaving immigration with temporary IDs. Of course, I have no idea what they were applying for...or if they had even had a successful review of their documents.

Offline rizwan.qamar

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 06:27:27 AM »
One of my friends also applied 2 days earlier than me and they did keep his ARC (unlike me). His documents are being reviewed and on Wednesday of this week, he got an SMS for some supplementary documents which he faxed them(mentioned window number in the fax).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 06:32:55 AM by rizwan.qamar »

Offline PaulineMacLeod

• Waygookin
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 02:35:16 AM »
So, Rizwan, what was the number of days between your friend's application and immigration's call for more documents from him?

It seems awfully "nice" for immigration to offer your friend a chance to submit more documents without paying. Immigration could have simply eaten his money and then said "insufficient documentation, sorry."

I wonder if I will be so lucky.

Well, that makes the two of us into a waiting-to-see-what-will-happen party. And I think it's a very glum party.

Offline rizwan.qamar

• Explorer
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 07:15:05 AM »
He applied on Friday and the document was requested on Wednesday of next week so about 2 days.

Offline PaulineMacLeod

• Waygookin
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 03:20:38 AM »
I telephoned 1345 this week. The operator told me that my application was approved. They told me that the visa is typically for three years, but although the lady looking at my computer knew the length of validity for my visa period, she refused to tell me what that period would be.

She told me that the decision had been reached this week, but she also told me that it would take another two weeks to actually make me a new card. I find this odd because my temporary ID expires this week. But I wasn't going to enter a debate with the operator.

Still, I won't believe anything until I actually have the thing in my hand.

Online cheolsu

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 10:57:59 AM »
Congratulations!

One question for yourself and Rizwan: what do you have to show to get points for a degree? Is the degree enough, or does it need to be apostilled/notarized?

Offline rizwan.qamar

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »
In my case, it was just degree (It was not apostilled/notarized).

Offline PaulineMacLeod

• Waygookin
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 03:41:57 PM »
Oh, rizwan.qamar: You got the visa too, despite the window assessment that you had fallen below 80?

To cheolsu: As a rule of thumb, the more authentications, the better. But I can tell you that I merely submitted a xerox of my degree and a xerox of the apostille (I had unwisely forfeited the originals in my December 2017 window interview acceptance but-later-rejected-by-invisible-upper-minister fiasco).

It's still my intention to someday post an authoritative group of links related to the F2-7 visa on this thread. But.....I feel pretty sure that I have researched every single possible website across many slick google searches over the years. I think I can safely say that I have sort of combined all the insight that I learned from other websites for the sake of this thread.