December 18, 2017, 04:50:00 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 431583 times)

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #800 on: May 17, 2016, 02:36:03 PM »
Just booked my one-way ticket out of Korea. I simultaneously feel like laughing, crying, and vomiting.  :blank: I need a drink. And some pizza.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:55:02 PM by reudibeat »

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #801 on: May 17, 2016, 03:11:48 PM »
I like shocking people. It's fun.

Today in my teachers class we talked about women picking up more of the house work than men after having a baby. Somehow we got on the topic of women taking permanent maternity leave (ie Korean style).

They all seemed genuinely surprised that I expect my wife to continue working after having kids (not right away for the literalists). Even more so that I would leave her if she tried not to.

I was then given multiple examples of which I vetoed almost all of them. My personal favorite being the example of a wife who has no job and does no housework. Come on gentlemen, tell me who wouldn't go for that :p

Online Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #802 on: May 17, 2016, 03:14:39 PM »
Just booked my one-way ticket out of Korea. I simultaneously feel like laughing, crying, and vomiting.  :blank: I need a drink. And some pizza.

I did this at the weekend!
It was the best feeling ever though for me  ;D When do you leave?
I am officially in countdown mode and it feels gooooooood  8)

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #803 on: May 17, 2016, 03:28:25 PM »

I'm out of here August 29th. I'm half over the moon excited about travelling and getting the f*ck out of here and half totally heartbroken about it.

I've had a countdown going since the first day of this contract. Officially 104 days to go :huh:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 03:31:17 PM by reudibeat »

Online Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #804 on: May 17, 2016, 03:31:38 PM »

Ugh guyyyyyyyys. I want to leave too. I can't bring up the courage to resign. I feel so guilty?!?

I've only been at my new school since the end of April and I'm handing my notice in next month... I feel guilty but I was transferred against my own choice, my old school knew about me leaving. So yeah it's gonna suck handing in my notice so soon after I started but... what can ya do

Online Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #805 on: May 17, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »

Ugh guyyyyyyyys. I want to leave too. I can't bring up the courage to resign. I feel so guilty?!?

I've only been at my new school since the end of April and I'm handing my notice in next month... I feel guilty but I was transferred against my own choice, my old school knew about me leaving. So yeah it's gonna suck handing in my notice so soon after I started but... what can ya do

Was it your main school? They're switching me to a new visiting school in 3 weeks, and I'll have to hand in my resignation letter two weeks after I start there.  :huh:

Yeah it's my main school. The position for an NET at my old school got cut so I was forced to transfer within my province! Luckily I got another school in my city.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #806 on: May 17, 2016, 11:21:35 PM »
~~~~~Three classes were cancelled because of "internet addiction education", a hilarious class to have in elementary schools~~~~~

They should do that as an on-line module.

:wink:

Offline walrus

• Veteran
« Reply #807 on: May 20, 2016, 02:51:49 PM »
I know there's been a lot of good fightin goin on in a couple of other threads, but i thought someone would post here today. Oh well, guess it's not Tuesday afterall... Glad to see folks here, seemingly, getting more interested in hockey. See a lot of kids these days with hockey sticks, real and floor hockey sticks, as I walk to school. I introduced floor hockey at my first school ten years ago and hoped it would catch on eventually. My students loved it Pretty hard not to love the worlds best game, eh? My second and cuurent school has a good range of the equipment also, and the kids here love it too. Think it's everyones favorite winter camp day. Glad Canada and South Korea are in the same division for the upcoming winter games in PyeongChang...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 03:00:58 PM by walrus »

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #808 on: May 25, 2016, 02:28:05 PM »
Students came in to clean.  A girl sweeping with a tiny ajumma broom bumped into the paper shredder and cracked the door on it open, so it started beeping at her.  She panicked and started apologizing to and comforting it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Too cute.

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #809 on: May 27, 2016, 09:30:29 AM »
My coT had me make English posters to hang in the cafeteria.  These are just some common expressions or sayings.  One of them is " I smell a rat" and the meaning of it.  The picture is of a boy holding a rat in one hand and his nose with the other.  My coT says we cannot hang it in the cafeteria because students will lose their appetities.     :laugh:

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #810 on: May 27, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
In Beijing when the aqi would be 400+ I'd get a sore throat and headache, and though it's smoggy today the aqi isn't that bad. I'm not sure if these cold-like symptoms I'm experiencing are just a result of the pollution or an actual cold. I hope it's just the smog.

Also I found out my co was just a temporary teacher here and I'm getting a new one next week. I'm so nervous. Apparently her English is great (she's married to a native speaker), which will be nice but I have all these "what if" thoughts running through my head.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #811 on: May 27, 2016, 11:12:34 AM »
There are some cats outside howling at each other.  For those long timers here, have you noticed a lot more feral cats running around?

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #812 on: May 27, 2016, 11:20:36 AM »
In Beijing when the aqi would be 400+ I'd get a sore throat and headache, and though it's smoggy today the aqi isn't that bad. I'm not sure if these cold-like symptoms I'm experiencing are just a result of the pollution or an actual cold. I hope it's just the smog.

Also I found out my co was just a temporary teacher here and I'm getting a new one next week. I'm so nervous. Apparently her English is great (she's married to a native speaker), which will be nice but I have all these "what if" thoughts running through my head.

I also woke up with minor cold like symptoms. Especially scratchy throat. Almost certain its from the pollution. I can tell real cold and pollution sensitivity apart now.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #813 on: May 27, 2016, 12:18:28 PM »
There are some cats outside howling at each other.  For those long timers here, have you noticed a lot more feral cats running around?
They've stopped. 

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #814 on: May 27, 2016, 12:24:48 PM »
Pointless Friday rambling #1

Going to finish a lesson up for my one after school class today. Then I have essentially nothing to to until the end of the day after that class is over.  I had a prettty excellent lunch today. So i am sitting at my desk letting it digest slowly. I should probably go for a walk outside around the playground, but my COT said I should stay inside because the fine dust level is really high today. We couldnt even see the mountains in the distance. There was so much haze. I even think I feel my eyes burning a little today. Orr maybe I am just slightly hungover from that raspberry wine I drank last night.
I am feeling pretty good about today. This week went really well and I am adjusting well to my role here at this school. So far though, my personal life is a bit lacking. I work in the super rural Yangju, but I live in Uiejongbu. I am the worst at making new friends. I have recently started to take walks around the city just to get better acquainted with my new surroundings and to get out of the house.
With that said, i am very opptimistic about my new life here and I am super excited about the weekend.

ALSO>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Can anyone suggest any fun things to do in Uijeongbu?

Happy Friday, everyone! :)

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #815 on: May 27, 2016, 12:42:34 PM »
One of my students challenged me to an arm wrestling match today, which I found strange because I'm a woman and he's a 3rd grade middle school boy... what kind of props would he have gotten from it? And what would he have done if I'd won?

These are things we'll never know because I turned him down.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #816 on: May 27, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »

Going to finish a lesson up for my one after school class today. Then I have essentially nothing to to until the end of the day after that class is over.  I had a prettty excellent lunch today. So i am sitting at my desk letting it digest slowly. I should probably go for a walk outside around the playground, but my COT said I should stay inside because the fine dust level is really high today. We couldnt even see the mountains in the distance. There was so much haze. I even think I feel my eyes burning a little today. Orr maybe I am just slightly hungover from that raspberry wine I drank last night.
I am feeling pretty good about today. This week went really well and I am adjusting well to my role here at this school. So far though, my personal life is a bit lacking. I work in the super rural Yangju, but I live in Uiejongbu. I am the worst at making new friends. I have recently started to take walks around the city just to get better acquainted with my new surroundings and to get out of the house.
With that said, i am very opptimistic about my new life here and I am super excited about the weekend.

ALSO>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i've never heard of where you're at, so I can't suggest what to do there. But I can suggest that you get out of there. Take a trip! Maybe go to a bigger city where you can meet more foreigners or go to Jeju where there's lots of solo activites you could go. Do a little traveling? If you have the funds, go even further. It's not a long weekend so the ticket prices might not be too bad.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #817 on: May 27, 2016, 12:56:26 PM »

Going to finish a lesson up for my one after school class today. Then I have essentially nothing to to until the end of the day after that class is over.  I had a prettty excellent lunch today. So i am sitting at my desk letting it digest slowly. I should probably go for a walk outside around the playground, but my COT said I should stay inside because the fine dust level is really high today. We couldnt even see the mountains in the distance. There was so much haze. I even think I feel my eyes burning a little today. Or maybe I am just slightly hungover from that raspberry wine I drank last night.

ALSO>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bokbunja. Nice.

Uijeongbu? You could go to Budae Jjigae street. And try every single resto. That is all I know about that city barring the LRT.

Yangju has a traditional alcohol museum.

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
« Reply #818 on: May 27, 2016, 01:02:26 PM »
It is Friday.  I tell myself that I need to save money.  But fun things always occur on the weekends.  It is HBC music fest.  Should I go thug, drink the good drink, and listen to tunes or should I sit at home and save money?

Offline Allegsue

• Waygookin
« Reply #819 on: May 27, 2016, 01:21:52 PM »
It is Friday.  I tell myself that I need to save money.  But fun things always occur on the weekends.  It is HBC music fest.  Should I go thug, drink the good drink, and listen to tunes or should I sit at home and save money?

Sounds like that is a rhetorical question mate.