December 11, 2017, 05:18:05 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 424970 times)

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #780 on: May 13, 2016, 12:50:23 PM »
I'm really considering getting a dog. I keep saying I want a dog so bad I've found a dog that may suit my lifestyle (aka being at work all day) and is already fixed, vaccinated and such. And there is no adoption fee for her. But I'm just not sure. There are a lot of things to consider. Maybe I should just stick to visiting dog cafes... :/

I've considered it, too -- the only thing keeping me from going out and adopting one right now is the fact that it would limit my traveling, and I'm not ready to make that kind of commitment right now.

But I do miss having a dog around. ;c

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #781 on: May 13, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »
I'm really considering getting a dog. I keep saying I want a dog so bad I've found a dog that may suit my lifestyle (aka being at work all day) and is already fixed, vaccinated and such. And there is no adoption fee for her. But I'm just not sure. There are a lot of things to consider. Maybe I should just stick to visiting dog cafes... :/

I've considered it, too -- the only thing keeping me from going out and adopting one right now is the fact that it would limit my traveling, and I'm not ready to make that kind of commitment right now.

Same! I am away a lot on weekends, but I also feel like it would keep me home and from spending money if I had one...aside from doggy expenses I guess. 

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #782 on: May 13, 2016, 01:06:27 PM »
I didn't realise people were off tomorrow! I have to come in but have no classes for some reason

Same! Now I'm jealous but oh well ;D :sad: :azn:

Unrelated: I wish my school would restock the black coffee sticks. All we have are the Maxim coffee-flavored sugar packets.
Yirg,

How much do you kick-in monthly for the snack/drink budget?

Find out who makes the purchases and simply request for them to get the stuff that you like.

The purser for our snack budget always asks, but I always only request water.

I'm sure they would hook you up.

That said, if you haven't been contributing, now would be a good time to start.

Haha the coffee thing wasn't really a rant; just a pointless ramble. :wink: I've mentioned it before in a different thread (probably the one about office culture) but my current school doesn't make me pay into the fund. I noticed this in my second month (sometime in April or May last year) when I realised that they weren't deducting anything except the usual tax, pension, and health insurance from my pay, so I talked to the admin lady, my main co-teacher, even the school nurse (don't know why lol) that I'd like to contribute but they all told me not to worry about it, and even knowing that I don't contribute, I still get to enjoy all the benefits; they insist that I do.

I do feel bad about not contributing, though, so from time to time I'll bring in a box of tea or coffee or even a pack or two of those individually-wrapped caramelised biscuits to have with coffee and I'll leave them in the teacher's office to share. I just haven't had the time to buy a new box of the black coffee, but I'll probably do that next week if they still haven't restocked it. :laugh:

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #783 on: May 13, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »

Same! I am away a lot on weekends, but I also feel like it would keep me home and from spending money if I had one...aside from doggy expenses I guess.
Please think long and hard before taking on such a burden and expense.

Too many are quite selfish and incapable of providing all that is needed, and the dog gets tossed out on the street.

It isn't cheap anywhere, but in Korea, it is far more expensive than back home, especially the vet bills, quality food, and sitters.

If the dog turns into a yapper, a pisser, a biter, how would you handle it?

We take care of four wonderful animals, which cost us 4,000,000 KRW per year and up.

We love them dearly, but it's expensive to be sure.

Offline kimchikiwi

• Veteran
« Reply #784 on: May 13, 2016, 01:42:25 PM »

Too many are quite selfish and incapable of providing all that is needed, and the dog gets tossed out on the street.

It isn't cheap anywhere, but in Korea, it is far more expensive than back home, especially the vet bills, quality food, and sitters.

We take care of four wonderful animals, which cost us 4,000,000 KRW per year and up.

I'm not sure about dogs but I adopted my cat a few years ago and I find the vet overall a lot cheaper here but perhaps because a dog needs to go more often?
I definitely agree it's a big responsibility but well worth it if you plan to bring your pet back with you. I find having a cat works great with my lifestyle because I can travel over the weekends without worrying about finding a sitter as long as he has proper food, water and a clean litter box.
Whatever you decide - good luck :)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #785 on: May 13, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »

I'm not sure about dogs but I adopted my cat a few years ago and I find the vet overall a lot cheaper here but perhaps because a dog needs to go more often?
I definitely agree it's a big responsibility but well worth it if you plan to bring your pet back with you. I find having a cat works great with my lifestyle because I can travel over the weekends without worrying about finding a sitter as long as he has proper food, water and a clean litter box.
Whatever you decide - good luck :)

I rescued a mountain cat and he had a huge sore on his leg and ear mites. 3 vet visits (1 initial, 2 checkups to deal with the problems) have only cost me 200 bucks. Not bad, and it's cheaper than Canada for sure.

Online robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #786 on: May 13, 2016, 03:04:38 PM »
I've adopted a cat here and he got unexpectedly sick which put me out of pocket the best part of a million won. I don't mind because he's awesome and I'm keeping him for life but it pays to have some sort of reserve fund ready. I heard pet insurance is starting to take off here so that's worth looking into.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:19:36 PM by robin_teacher »

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #787 on: May 13, 2016, 03:13:49 PM »
Robin has the right idea regarding insurance, especially if your companions are indoor/outdoor.

The most we ever spent for medical on one cat was $2,400 USD.

He lived well for 17 more months with his three legs and all.

YoungMin

« Reply #788 on: May 13, 2016, 03:42:17 PM »
School are complaining that I haven't had a shave.

Well I've been asking them to pay me the money they owe me for 3 weeks.

Today I final lost it when the gaffer was like 'you need to shave'. I said 'You need to pay me on time'.

Currently sat here looking like Tom Hanks on Cast Away and I dinae gi a ****.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #789 on: May 13, 2016, 03:51:21 PM »
School are complaining that I haven't had a shave.

Well I've been asking them to pay me the money they owe me for 3 weeks.

Today I final lost it when the gaffer was like 'you need to shave'. I said 'You need to pay me on time'.

Currently sat here looking like Tom Hanks on Cast Away and I dinae gi a ****.

Wait... They haven't paid you your salary in three weeks??? Or do they owe you some other money?? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #790 on: May 13, 2016, 04:03:26 PM »
Happy Friday y'all.  Get lit.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #791 on: May 16, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »
Anyone else go to the beer festival on the weekend?

GOOD TIMES! Early bird prices were amazing. So many good brews.

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #792 on: May 16, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »

I almost went. There were a few specials that I saw online for like 15,000won for 2 pints and a waffle...Why would they think that I would want a waffle?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #793 on: May 16, 2016, 02:23:56 PM »

I almost went. There were a few specials that I saw online for like 15,000won for 2 pints and a waffle...Why would they think that I would want a waffle?

Cuz EVERYBODY loves WAFFLES!

It is a fact that Belgium makes some pretty nice beer.

My guess is that they read somewhere that people in Belgium (like most places) like to eat when they drink beer.  What do they eat in Belgium?

WAFFLES!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #794 on: May 16, 2016, 02:49:50 PM »
Apparently Wed. is "Membership Training." Should I be afraid? Lol.

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #795 on: May 16, 2016, 03:04:40 PM »
Every time I see this thread and it's not a Friday a little part of me dies.

I know it makes no sense to make "A thread for pointless Monday ramblings", "A thread for pointless Tuesday ramblings" etc (that would be beyond ridiculous [and dare I say, hilarious])... and I quite like this thread because it's random and you never know what to expect, but seeing that beautiful word Friday when it is still a lifetime away makes my little heart jump with glee and then crumble and perish with despair.
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #796 on: May 16, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »
Every time I see this thread and it's not a Friday a little part of me dies.

I know it makes no sense to make "A thread for pointless Monday ramblings", "A thread for pointless Tuesday ramblings" etc (that would be beyond ridiculous [and dare I say, hilarious])... and I quite like this thread because it's random and you never know what to expect, but seeing that beautiful word Friday when it is still a lifetime away makes my little heart jump with glee and then crumble and perish with despair.
Maybe the title could be changed to "A thread for pointless, random ramblings".  What think you, mods?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:26:35 PM by denimdaze »

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #797 on: May 17, 2016, 09:04:16 AM »
I'm with everyone on that -- I have ramblings in mind pretty much every day of the week, and I lose them all by the time Friday comes around thereby robbing everyone of the precious.

Sorry, TeresaD.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:06:07 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #798 on: May 17, 2016, 09:17:48 AM »
I'm with everyone on that -- I have ramblings in mind pretty much every day of the week, and I lose them all by the time Friday comes around thereby robbing everyone of the precious.

Sorry, TeresaD.

:laugh: :laugh:

I wouldn't want to miss out on your ramblings. Or anyone else's for that matter. This thread is like a safe space where only the sane come to visit. It's refreshing.
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #799 on: May 17, 2016, 09:34:46 AM »
I've been informed that Membership Training lasts from 9pm - 6am and will involve lots of drinking and fire. Lol

Good thing my Thurs. classes are canceled, I guess! Haha

Also, apologies for continually bringing up the Friday thread  :wink: