February 25, 2018, 01:27:40 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 518913 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4800 on: December 29, 2017, 02:32:24 PM »
I was told that my school DOES want to renew me. (Principal left the decision solely to my Co-T, and if you recall last month, we got into a spate where she proclaimed her distaste for me). So this means my Co-T came around? She's been nothing but friendly and pleasant since I dished her back some venom during our "discussion."

CAVEAT: This means shit until the city hall budget comes out.

So.......... I leave for Indonesia on the 5th. I suppose that week there will decide my fate.

I just want to retire and drink coconut rum in a hut on a beach with Indo Girl until I die. Is that unrealistic?

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4801 on: December 29, 2017, 02:42:33 PM »
I just want to retire and drink coconut rum in a hut on a beach with Indo Girl until I die. Is that unrealistic?

Retire - Yes
Hut on beach - Yes
Indo girl - Yes
Until I die - Ok
Coconut rum - No chance

*arrives back in Incheon and buys a Bacchus-F*

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4802 on: December 29, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »
Coconut rum - No chance

*arrives back in Incheon and buys a Bacchus-F*

I trusted you as a culinary mind! Why would you say that!?!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4803 on: January 03, 2018, 10:11:37 AM »
Found out this morning that a childhood friend's father passed away.

Then proceeded to drudge through Day 1 of midterms.

Every so often mortality rears its ugly, beautiful head to remind us of how inconsequential the day to day plights truly are.

Offline sevenpm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4804 on: January 03, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
I love asking these kids questions about the world.

What countries attended the first modern olympics?

Uri nara!!

"What country has the most winter olympic medals?"

Uri nara?!!

"What country has the most olympic medals total?"

Uri nara?!!

No, no, no.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4805 on: January 03, 2018, 11:24:58 PM »
Anyone know a place that will buy PS4 games for cash? Seoul, South Gyeonggi?

Offline michelleh

• Adventurer
« Reply #4806 on: January 04, 2018, 07:17:28 AM »
Anyone know a place that will buy PS4 games for cash? Seoul, South Gyeonggi?

Video game alley in Yongsan would probably be your best bet. They definitely sell secondhand games, but I'm not sure what their policy on buying is.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4807 on: January 04, 2018, 07:58:10 AM »
I know camp is basically free babysitting, but if the parents could stop sending their kids 20 minutes early to class that would be great.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4808 on: January 04, 2018, 08:11:39 AM »
At dinner, my wife handed me a spoon, which I politely rejected.  Wondering why, I had to admit to her that there are some spoons that I don't like using.  There is some cutlery I take a dislike to.  Weird.  I know.    :-[

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4809 on: January 04, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »
At dinner, my wife handed me a spoon, which I politely rejected.  Wondering why, I had to admit to her that there are some spoons that I don't like using.  There is some cutlery I take a dislike to.  Weird.  I know.    :-[

I have a favorite pair of chopsticks. They are functionally identical to all of my other chopsticks.

Sometimes I suspect that when I abandoned my religion, I subconsciously filled the gap with different superstitions or ideas, such as not wearing my favorite team's jersey when they're making a playoff run, or having a favorite pair of chopsticks.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4810 on: January 04, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »

I have a favorite pair of chopsticks. They are functionally identical to all of my other chopsticks.

Sometimes I suspect that when I abandoned my religion, I subconsciously filled the gap with different superstitions or ideas, such as not wearing my favorite team's jersey when they're making a playoff run, or having a favorite pair of chopsticks.

;D

I have a superstition when I'm watching Arsenal play.  If it is 0-0 or they are losing 1-0 and it gets towards the end of the first half, I'll move my position on the sofa.  If that doesn't work then I'll move to a different seat on the sofa.  If that doesn't change, then I'll move to another seat in the room.  If Arsenal are winning then I don't move. 

I took some getting used to metal chopsticks when I first came to Korea.  They just seemed cold and functional.  I kind of like my fork to have a biggish surface area.  I don't like big handles on knives and forks.  Not sure what my problem with spoons is, the only noticeable thing with our ones are that they are gold (colour, not material)  :P

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4811 on: January 22, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
So, I've been asked about my Indonesia trip, and as I've said before, writing things oat helps process things.

I went to try. I've loved this woman for the last 8 months and I've made my position very clear. She knows that I like her a lot, and she knows that I'm coming to visit her. She's always been reticent and never told me specifically about loving me, but I know deep down she likes me and I went to go see if it would work.

Saturday 10AM: Land in Jogjakarta. R (the one I like) and Y (one of her best friends that I've met before in Korea, she's cool) are at the airport. I can't believe I'm here!

Hang out all day, Me, R, Y and Y's BF, who is our driver. Y owns a car (a little red car) but can't drive so BF is driving. hahaha It's a bit awkward because I don't flirt well in a group dynamic, never have. And it's been 6 months since I saw them. But it's fun, I'm on vacation, right?

We go to the main drag, Malioboro Street, and I try to hold R's hand. She's Muslim, we're in a Muslim majority country and she's a bit hesitant. Y pipes, in "Kevin, you two are not dating!  :azn:"

R drops my hand. Thanks, Y. FFS

Sunday: All day with the four of us again, going to see Borobudur and Prambanan. Borobudur is insane. But I can't get any quality time with R. Until Prambanan. Y and BF stay in the car so I have some time with R! Yay! We walk around, talking about whatever, our past relationships, the fact that I like her a lot. It was nice.

That night I go back to my guesthouse. R is from a town 200km west and is sleeping at Y's, who lives in Jogja.

I text R about today. About having more time with her over the next days. "Kevin, I just want you to be a best friend." FFS. She knows why I came, EVERYONE KNOWS why I came. It's like an open secret no one wants to talk about.

There's a bar next door. I go have a few (not too much, I have plans the next day obv). I meet Rico, nice guy. He learns about my situation and the fact that R is from *town 200km west*

Mon: Volcano Jeep Tour of Merapi Mtn. Insane. Go out for coffees later.

:police: Girls, I love you, but I need a day to myself? Is that OK? (I ask this because R and BF took unpaid time off to hang around M-F this week, it's not going my way, per se, but I'm not a complete Ahole).

:-* Yeah, that's fine. We'll do girls stuff.

Tues: Now, I have ulterior motives here. I knew before I came that it might not work. So I Tinder Plus'd my location to Jogja a few weeks prior. Korean matches over 8 months; 17. Jogja matches over 2 weeks; 180.  :laugh:

So, without going into too sordid a detail, I wants to meet me. She's very honest about why. I'm not Indonesian and she's................ open to new things. So I agree to meet for 3PM at the train station. (I would also like to make clear that I did not come to Jogja to smash R. If that happened I would be so happy, but I came because I'm in love with her, I still am.)

3 rolls around. I'm a 10 min walk from the station.

:police: "Kevin, WTF are you doing. This isn't why you came. You came here to get THE girl, not A girl."

I call R, last ditch effort.

:police: Do you trust me?

:-* What, why?

:police: Do you trust me? Come to the guesthouse, I need to talk to you.

:-* You said you wanted the day off, what is going on?

:police: Because I have a date in 10 mins, and I don't want to go on it. I came to see you.

Various banter

:-* What happens when I come to the guesthouse and you do something to me, because you're a man?

:police: Jesus H Christ (I'm pissed now) See ya, R.

I'm going on this date. F this.

Go, to a. hotel. We both enjoy ourselves. But I've paid for the guesthouse and the hotel for the same night (Guest house/no guests in the rooms, IRONIC), so I want to get some shit from the GH for the hotel. It's 7PM at this point.

I comes into the lobby with me. Cue the owner.

:afro: Ahhhhhhhhh, you're friends with the girl with the little red car.

Keep in mind R and Y have picked me up and dropped me off for 3 days at this point.

:police: Hahaha, yeah! Haha  :huh: *please stop talking*

:-* ??

So we go to the bar NEXT DOOR for some drinks. Rico is there.

:afro: Oh, you must be the girl from *town 200km west*

:police: FFS

I can't win, can I? Anyway, great date and then we spend the night at the hotel again,  :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Wed: I have a lunch alone with R. This had been decided prior to the tiff yesterday.

:police: I'm going to say things you don't like, you're going to say things that I don't like, but they need to be said. So let's not get angry okay?

:-* OK.

POST BELOW

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4812 on: January 22, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »

There's a pretty big branch of neuroscience that deals with the physical root of the fundamentally human need to believe in something -- be it religion, superstition, or even that people care enough to read long detailed posts on Waygook.
     Studies have been conducted using magnetic stimulation of the brain that researchers claim to be able to trigger "religious feelings". That same feeling isalso be associated with certain kinds of seizures. Interestingly enough, experiences of religiosity and pedantry were found to be closely related in several of those studies, which proves that us grammar nazis are closer to god than the rest of you schmucks.  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:56:42 AM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4813 on: January 22, 2018, 11:54:50 AM »
 :police: You now why I'm here. We all do. So what is going on?

:-* I have a boyfriend still..............

:police: C? Him? F'in hell, R. What?

C is a douche. He taught here in Korea and they were dating back then last year 2016/early 2017. He cheated on her twice, she forgave him, he skipped the country back to the US and is now teaching in China. He didn't go to Indonesia, he went to China. F this guy.

:police: Why didn't you just tell me that? I don't chase women around when they're in relationships, FFS.

:-* I'm sorry, Kevin.

:police: Well, I'm sorry about the phone call yday. (I probably did sound like a psychopath, upon reflection).

We talk about stuff, she thinks it's amazing I got laid. hahaha I decide that she's too important to me to tell to f off, so we're cordial and agree to be friends.

The next two days are amazing. The awkwardness and all that went away because, like I've said, honesty is the best policy. And it's kind of a double edged sword because when we were just joking around  and having fun, it reminded me why I fell for this girl in the first place.

So many jokes about I. hahaha Y couldn't believe it.

:-* You............. just met a girl?? And went to a hotel???

:police: We both knew why we were meeting well prior to Tuesday.

:-*  :shocked: :huh: She's from Borneo, Kevin. She knows Dayak Black Magic and can make you fall in love with her. Be careful.

And on Friday morning it was finished. I left. I cried at the airport. In all honesty, I didn't know either of them superwell when I arrived. I'd only known R for a couple of months before she left. But now I have a third family in the world. Y was such a cockblock but I understand why now. Her friend has a BF and she doesn't want smooth Canuck man in there, that's what friends do.

But goddamn do I still love that woman. But I've been through this before and it doesn't hurt 10 percent of that one, Jesus.

That said, I AM NEVER FLYING OVERSEAS FOR A GIRL EVER AGAIN.

FOOL ME TWICE SHAME ON ME.

Peace, y'all.

PS: If C ever does anything out of line, I will fly to where he is and kick the shit out of him. You used to teach in Korea, C, maybe you're on here still. I will kick your ass, MF.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4814 on: January 22, 2018, 05:08:11 PM »
Dude.  I know you probably feel like shite right now but honestly if that's how she behaved then don't settle for that tripe. 

She (everyone, even here!) knew why you were flying over. 
She didn't even have the decency to tell you in advance that oh, by the way, she has a boyfriend? (dafuq?)
She can't even drop your hand of her own volition?  Her friend has to jump in?  How old even is she? 

Maybe this is harsh, but it seems as if she wanted to see you again (without much effort on her part) and decide if she wanted you more than other guy.  Then decided to stick with her a-hole of an ex anyway.  Cause if she told you, then would you have still gone over?

(Seriously, twice a cheater and still giving him extra chances?  Girl sounds a fool) 

Me personally, I wouldn't bother with someone like her anymore cause life is short but I don't know everything about your unique situation, so you do you.  \_(ツ)_/

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4815 on: January 25, 2018, 11:54:49 AM »
So... has anyone rented a noraebang bus?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4816 on: January 25, 2018, 01:45:54 PM »
This is the deadest I've ever seen waygook.org haha

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4817 on: January 26, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »
So... has anyone rented a noraebang bus?

During my first year at my first public school job in Korea several years ago, the teachers/staff at my then-school went on an overnight trip during the summer and I remember the bus we rented had a noraebang system in it. All the Korean teachers/staff who went on the trip had to get up and go to the front of the bus to sing, but luckily they didn't make me do it.

Offline sojuadventurer

• Veteran
« Reply #4818 on: January 26, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
Happy Friday, everyone! Happy to say that this is my last day of winter camp. Have three days of deskwarming to go (Monday - Wednesday) and then vacation until after Seollal!

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4819 on: January 30, 2018, 08:26:32 AM »
I put hot packs inside my shoes because I feel like my toes are about to snap off. 30 more days until I'm back home with my nice wood stove.