December 17, 2017, 08:37:07 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 430150 times)

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #480 on: November 23, 2015, 02:29:53 PM »
On Friday night I found out a student in my school raped a girl. I feel shocked and upset. I hope the girl gets justice.

That's awful.  Was the girl also a student at your school?

I'm not sure what rape reporting procedures are like here, but I'd imagine it's pretty shaming for the victim.  My cousin was raped on her uni campus back in the states last Halloween, and didn't press charges because her name would go on the case and would be published publicly.  The final straw though was seeing him on campus this past Halloween again (he's banned from it) and finding out he'd raped 6 other girls in the last year, recently including one of her own sorority sisters.  They're all banding together and reporting as a group, but yeah alone she felt pretty powerless and singled out.  The cops also still talk to them as if they're possibly lying, which made it even shittier.  Talk about an uphill battle... :sad:

I hope the girl gets the justice she deserves.  How horrible for the male student to be doing that at this age.

Sorry to hear about your story. I have hope your cousin will get justice.

I feel broken up because I spoke up about this student to a co-teacher and said that I felt he was a dangerous influence on the others in the school. I think he had some issues but I'm no psychologist. I don't know what school the girl is from since details aren't forth coming from my co-workers. I actually heard the news from a friend in another school. I am wary of bringing anything up because I bet the school will feel shamed somehow that this student did such a thing...I just feel terrible.

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #481 on: November 27, 2015, 12:06:04 PM »
The difference it makes in the personality of a class when one student who always makes trouble is out sick.   :cheesy:

I hope he feels better soon, but it was nice to have a break from him.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #482 on: November 27, 2015, 12:25:33 PM »
In my B class on Fridays the only kid who talks is the only kid I want NOT to talk...  :evil:

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #483 on: November 27, 2015, 03:22:07 PM »
I just realized a kid stole my hand sanitizer a few hours ago. She had been in my office at about 11:45 this morning, I thought just out of curiosity to see what I was doing (she's 10). At the time she was sort of looking at stuff on my desk, asking questions about my phone and other random things, including the hand sanitizer. Around 1pm she came back in for a few minutes but I didn't watch her as closely, although she was right next me. Anyway, just now I realized the hand sanitizer is gone; she must have taken it the second time she came in.

It was one of those small scented Nature Republic bottles that cost maybe 2,500 won. I'm not mad, just perplexed because it was unexpected and wondering if I should say something to her next week about it. Obviously it's not like she took anything valuable, but what if she tries it again with something more important (she had also been looking at my phone...)?

Not sure how to react to this but I feel like it would be wrong to just let it slide...  :-[
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 03:24:12 PM by taingray »

Offline royalmilktea

• Veteran
« Reply #484 on: November 27, 2015, 03:23:53 PM »
If IHerb didn't ship to South Korea, I don't know what I would do...

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #485 on: November 27, 2015, 03:37:48 PM »
I just realized a kid stole my hand sanitizer a few hours ago. She had been in my office at about 11:45 this morning, I thought just out of curiosity to see what I was doing (she's 10). At the time she was sort of looking at stuff on my desk, asking questions about my phone and other random things, including the hand sanitizer. Around 1pm she came back in for a few minutes but I didn't watch her as closely, although she was right next me. Anyway, just now I realized the hand sanitizer is gone; she must have taken it the second time she came in.

It was one of those small scented Nature Republic bottles that cost maybe 2,500 won. I'm not mad, just perplexed because it was unexpected and wondering if I should say something to her next week about it. Obviously it's not like she took anything valuable, but what if she tries it again with something more important (she had also been looking at my phone...)?

Not sure how to react to this but I feel like it would be wrong to just let it slide...  :-[
Next time you see her, you could ask her if she remembers seeing it.  You could mention when you saw it last.  That way, you're not directly accusing her, but you are letting her know you noticed it was missing.

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #486 on: November 27, 2015, 08:57:41 PM »

Next time you have her class, announce to everyone (with translation) that something went missing from your desk and you are very sad about it. Explain that you are happy to share everything with the students, but that when people take your things without asking and don't return them, it makes you sad and it makes you worry that your students are not good friends. Look super ****** forlorn. Do it to every class in her grade. Your hand sanitizer will be returned in less than 48 hours.

Offline durestudios

• Waygookin
« Reply #487 on: November 29, 2015, 10:43:38 AM »
The FOOD in Korea. God, sometimes it feels like God has poisoned every single meal I eat with a stomach ache immediately after I eat it.

Offline dizzl

• Veteran
« Reply #488 on: December 04, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »
After months of hating my school because of my ct, it emerges that it isn't only me she has been looking to offend.
Finally I have validation that it's not just me! Good way to end my week no matter how petty. :P

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #489 on: December 04, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »
I have my last afterschool class for the semester today!   8)

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #490 on: December 04, 2015, 01:38:49 PM »
Have anyone else's students been wearing this new brand of outerwear (coats and light jackets) that says 'EL STINKO' and 'STINKO DE MAYO' on it? I don't know if it's just one of those low-quality brands they sell on the street or what, but it really entertains me  :laugh: I want to take a picture but I feel like a weirdo!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #491 on: December 04, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
Stanley Kubrick Exhibition this Sunday!

They have costumes and set stuff from all of his films.

AAAWWWWW YYEAAAHHHH

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
« Reply #492 on: December 04, 2015, 01:58:53 PM »
I want to go drink my face off tonight.  My girlfriend wants me to stay in, wake up early, and help her and her family make kimchi Saturday morning.  If only I could clone myself into two people.  It is hard having a sweet girlfriend.  I just want to thug.   :cry:

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #493 on: December 04, 2015, 02:04:25 PM »
I want to go drink my face off tonight.  My girlfriend wants me to stay in, wake up early, and help her and her family make kimchi Saturday morning.  If only I could clone myself into two people.  It is hard having a sweet girlfriend.  I just want to thug.   :cry:

How long have you been dating? That seems like an extreme commitment to make.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #494 on: December 04, 2015, 02:06:49 PM »
Kimchi on a Saturday... Sounds like a deal breaker...
Kimchi at lunch on weekdays is already enough...

#Levels

But if you're really into her, the man up! Get that Kimchi made son!

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #495 on: December 04, 2015, 02:09:12 PM »

How long have you been dating? That seems like an extreme commitment to make.

Hey man, to each his/her own.  It sounds like OP doesn't mind the idea of making kimchi with his gf's family in the morning at all, so who are you to scoff at it as extreme or imply the gf is demanding?  Maybe he already knows her family, they get along well, and he's interested in spending time with them and having the cultural experience.  It might just be bad timing with his current mood and desire to drink on a Friday. :undecided:

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #496 on: December 04, 2015, 02:12:31 PM »
Walking into 3/4 empty classrooms as kids watch vine compilation clips. no co teacher in sight. I can dig this.

Offline belovedalways157

• Waygookin
« Reply #497 on: December 10, 2015, 05:45:35 AM »
Nice post for Friday rambligs.
With peace in my mind
With peace in my heart
Peace in my soul
Wherever I'm going, I'm already home.

nespeaker

« Reply #498 on: December 11, 2015, 11:02:10 AM »
I'm not sure why I'm ashamed that my school has a Cup Stacking Team.

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #499 on: December 11, 2015, 11:06:48 AM »
Today one of my third grade middle schoolers was getting uppity, I decided to shut that sh*z down. I'm a very relaxed teacher who laughs a lot with my kids and endures more than is necessary in terms of bad behaviour.

So I grabbed his chair and pulled it, with him in it, to the back of the class. I dragged his desk over and the two classroom bins, heaped to overflowing. I put on in front of him and one beside him. He'd been talking non-stop to his friend so I point to the bins. These are your new friends, you can talk to them. My class loved that and I felt happy  :azn: at my creative use of minimal verbal aggression.