February 25, 2018, 01:26:15 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 518911 times)

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4560 on: November 30, 2017, 07:26:53 AM »
I noticed that for the last few years, I gain weight in the spring and summer, so on holiday in the summer, I feel a little tubby.  Not fat, but at 6 foot and about 87kgs, I can feel it.  Then with no change in diet (vegetarian) and with less exercise (because of weekday night classes and the awful dust) I actually lose weight without noticing in the autumn and now, so in the winter holidays I'm much thinner, and feel it.  Maybe it's just me with the seasonal weight changes, but not sure why?
Iím the opposite.

Iím less inclined to walk places and more inclined to eat comfort food when the weather gets cold.

That's why I find it strange.  Surely, the body's natural reaction when it gets colder is to store fat to keep you alive during the colder winter months.  Or is that too simplistic neanderthal thinking?  :undecided:

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4561 on: November 30, 2017, 07:30:00 AM »
Your body burns more calories when you are cold. But I don't think that would lead to noticeable weight loss.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4562 on: November 30, 2017, 07:38:09 AM »
You say no change in diet, but the vegetarian dining options aren't as good in the winter.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4563 on: November 30, 2017, 08:29:41 AM »
You say no change in diet, but the vegetarian dining options aren't as good in the winter.

Yeah, there's less available in the winter.  I worked as a chef in Sweden for four years and couple that with my mum educating me well about how to eat healthily as a vegetarian, I make sure I get all the vitamins etc that I need.  I can't eat junk food here in Korea, as there is no vegetarian option available.  But I still eat egg and chips, pizza, my naughty nachos on Fridays, are a few so I still have food that is high in calories.  Koreans always marvel a little at my frame, as they think all vegetarians are chopstick thin people.  One of my vps years ago saw me playing football and was amazed I could run and play really strongly.  It didn't know where to start when correcting him on that one. 

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4564 on: November 30, 2017, 08:36:36 AM »

Yeah, there's less available in the winter.  I worked as a chef in Sweden for four years and couple that with my mum educating me well about how to eat healthily as a vegetarian, I make sure I get all the vitamins etc that I need.  I can't eat junk food here in Korea, as there is no vegetarian option available.  But I still eat egg and chips, pizza, my naughty nachos on Fridays, are a few so I still have food that is high in calories.  Koreans always marvel a little at my frame, as they think all vegetarians are chopstick thin people.  One of my vps years ago saw me playing football and was amazed I could run and play really strongly.  It didn't know where to start when correcting him on that one.

Come on Dave; you're on course to win the November 2017 humble brag cup with a single post!! haha  :wink: :wink:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4565 on: November 30, 2017, 08:48:26 AM »

Come on Dave; you're on course to win the November 2017 humble brag cup with a single post!! haha  :wink: :wink:

Wait....no wait....not that kind of marvel....erm......like......how can someone who only eats broccoli.....be a bit stocky......erm........wait......and my playing strongly has resulted in two dislocated shoulders, a broken wrist, a few concussions and numerous broken toes.....no, it's not working......Well they're foreigners, they must know better. God, I hate us. We're so, you know, English. But, at least I'm sophisticated enough to know that. Am I coming across as smug? I'd better think of some funny pay-off. No, nothing springs to mind. Some English people like a cappuccino after lunch you know! Idiots. Parochial fools. I'm disgusted with myself, and quite clever at the same time. I wonder what's for tea?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4566 on: November 30, 2017, 12:52:20 PM »
I'm becoming increasingly more paranoid over my posts on this forum being too identifiable to me irl, so I'm thinking about trashing this account and starting over.

But then I lose my "Hero" status. These are hard decisions.

As for winter, I lose weight myself because I tend to become even more active than I already am. I love cold weather and I frolick in it whenever I can. I don't think my diet really changes all that much. I have a friend who tends to eat more meat and less starchy foods during cold weather, though, and that leads to weight-loss for her.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4567 on: November 30, 2017, 01:09:10 PM »
I'm becoming increasingly more paranoid over my posts on this forum being too identifiable to me irl, so I'm thinking about trashing this account and starting over.

As for winter, I lose weight myself because I tend to become even more active than I already am. I love cold weather and I frolick in it whenever I can. I don't think my diet really changes all that much. I have a friend who tends to eat more meat and less starchy foods during cold weather, though, and that leads to weight-loss for her.

I had to change my identity once.... I was not always What?What? Now thankfully I couldn't care less if someone figures out who I am.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4568 on: November 30, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »

I had to change my identity once.... I was not always What?What? Now thankfully I couldn't care less if someone figures out who I am.

Yes, this is the correct mentality to hold. If people don't like your internet persona, fuck 'em.

And Chinguetti, please don't leave or change accounts, this place is already turning into a ghost town. Plus I'd miss your AJUMMA SMASH signature pic.  :smiley:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4569 on: November 30, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »

I don't have a problem with fellow expats being able to indentify me.

I'm just concerned about Korean lurkers. There's a lot of pettiness afoot in the working world in general, and foreigners are easy targets here. Couple that with the fact that I do have some haters I have to deal with on a regular basis, and that's just drama I'd rather avoid. xD

And thanks, DMZ. xD Yeah, not too likely to delete my account unless I get a whiff of some bullshit irl that I might be able to trace back to waygook. So far, so good.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4570 on: November 30, 2017, 01:16:35 PM »

What?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4571 on: November 30, 2017, 01:19:38 PM »
I think I might be the least concerned with my public persona here. haha

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4572 on: November 30, 2017, 01:24:21 PM »

I'm not sure there's even a public/private divide in your case, CO2 Kevin.  :smiley:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4573 on: November 30, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »

I'm not sure there's even a public/private divide in your case, CO2 Kevin.  :smiley:

But you'll never get my reddit name! EVER

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4574 on: November 30, 2017, 02:51:25 PM »
I am so goddamn bored.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4575 on: November 30, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »
I am so goddamn bored.

Then post your reddit name and give us a target to aim for.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4576 on: November 30, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »
I am so goddamn bored.

Then post your reddit name and give us a target to aim for.

I'm a tricky chemical.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4577 on: November 30, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »
I am so goddamn bored.

In that case, tell us what happened the day after you ate the ghost pepper...

Did you make it a difficult day for the school cleaning aDjummas?

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4578 on: November 30, 2017, 03:04:23 PM »
I am so goddamn bored.

Did you make it a difficult day for the school cleaning aDjummas?
:laugh: :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4579 on: November 30, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »
I am so goddamn bored.

Well, I was in rural Suwon and I went to get the last train at Yeongtong Station. And the farmer gave me directions and I got lost. So, I wandered. Lucky for me I had a road beer and a pack of smokes. So I walked, and I walked, and I came across the Holy Trinity; A GS25, a seolleongtang resto and a jjimjilbang, all next to each other. Had a hot bowl of soup, grabbed a Grolsch and proceeded to have a hot shower (after having walked an hour in the cold rain).

Wow! This jjimjilbang even had little alcoves for individuals to sleep in! I hate Dragon Hill for this reason. One giant floor. One time an ajeossi put his arm on me, FFS.

This was 1230AM Sunday. I hadn't slept the night before (Friday night), found out my mate's mom is really sick, so we stayed up all night then headed to the farm at lunch. Slept 1230AM to Noon. Glorious.

Made my way to AK Plaza. Food Town!!!

:police: 매운갈비만두 네게 주세요.

:afro: 아, 그래요? 진짜 매워!

:police: *IF YOU HAD ANY IDEA WHAT I ATE LAST NIGHT, YOU WOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE SAYING THAT* 괜찮아요, 맛있어요.

Went home and proceeded to prepare for my Anyang Meet and Eat one year anniversary dinner. Oi vey.

No spicy poop. The chili was too small.