December 17, 2018, 01:35:10 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 855717 times)

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4540 on: December 18, 2017, 11:07:58 AM »
Last week while invigilating the maths test, I saw the multiple choice answers from the Korean history test on the board.  I thought Korean teachers were supposed to make the ratio of 1,2,3,4 and 5 fairly even so that students can't get a high score from marking all the same number.  Thing was out of 18 questions, seven were number 5 and six were  number 4 and one was number 1. So I asked my wife and she said that number 1 is rarely the answer.  Doesn't this kind of thinking kind of make multiple choice kind of pointless?

Saw this the other day:

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4541 on: December 18, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »
Last week while invigilating the maths test, I saw the multiple choice answers from the Korean history test on the board.  I thought Korean teachers were supposed to make the ratio of 1,2,3,4 and 5 fairly even so that students can't get a high score from marking all the same number.  Thing was out of 18 questions, seven were number 5 and six were  number 4 and one was number 1. So I asked my wife and she said that number 1 is rarely the answer.  Doesn't this kind of thinking kind of make multiple choice kind of pointless?

Saw this the other day:

Truly bad.  But ... that's not Korean, is it?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4542 on: December 18, 2017, 03:35:20 PM »
My brain has reached end of semester mode and is no longer functioning properly. I am currently being amused by watching an admin, on a facebook group, have a right out there in everyone's face, mental breakdown. Amused for days.
PALS?

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4543 on: December 18, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
My brain has reached end of semester mode and is no longer functioning properly. I am currently being amused by watching an admin, on a facebook group, have a right out there in everyone's face, mental breakdown. Amused for days.
PALS?
Yep! Although I haven't checked this afternoon because I was napping...
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4544 on: December 20, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »
At my school there's a program to pair up language studying students with native Korean students.

According to my teacher, they used to set up M/F pairs but then there was "too much love and not enough study"  :laugh: :laugh: so now they match M/M and F/F.

Student:  But what if gay?
Teacher:  Gay 괜찮아요!
Student: What?!?  :huh:

My teacher is surprisingly progressive for Korea  :laugh:

Also, sometimes the Level 1 classes will practice speaking together (kinda like social mixers), pairing up students from different classes.
If you think listening to (native) Korean is hard, try understanding Korean spoken with a heavy (Vietnamese, this time) accent.  :huh:

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4545 on: December 20, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »

The futility of these tests are even more apparent by the fact multiple choice applies to the history test. What a joke. How about writing an essay to utilise some critical thinking and engineer some debate? When I was in year 11 half of the GCSE history curriculum was on Russia in the early 20th century. I remember one of the questions in a mock exam was something along the lines of whether or not it was a surprise the provisional government after the Tsar abdicated lasted only 9 months. The class prior or after, I can't remember, revolved around the teacher and us discussing the topic and explaining ways to tackle the question. My teacher emphasised that there was no necessary right or wrong answer but how you articulate your line of argument and belief.

Gone on a bit of a tangent, but history was my favourite subject at school. A bit silly that it's been reduced to multiple choice here.

*cowers in a corner before Martino sees this*

Pretty sure, I can count on one hand how many multiple choice exams I've had in my life.  From primary school, it was short essays or answers.  In secondary, never.  As I was humanities in uni, not on your life.  Koreans need to stop being taught everything ever and learn how to use less information more effectively. I still can't quite fathom that for the most important, life-forming test ever you can guess an answer you're not sure about and have a 20% of getting it right.  That doesn't show ability, it just shows you can get lucky.

Applying some basic logic and maths, you're a bit off.

For ONE question, you have a 1 in 4 / .25 chance of getting that question correct. So, for 20 questions, as you have a 1/4 chance per question, you'll most likely get a score of 5/20.

However, the chances of getting a perfect score would be (1/4 X 1/4..... X 1/4   20 times) which is 0.000000000001= F all chance in anyone's language.

For the record, I'm not a fan of multiple choice, especially for subjects like history and languages.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4546 on: December 20, 2017, 11:47:35 AM »
I still can't quite fathom that for the most important, life-forming test ever you can guess an answer you're not sure about and have a 20% of getting it right.  That doesn't show ability, it just shows you can get lucky[/b].

For ONE question, you have a 1 in 4 / .25 chance of getting that question correct. So, for 20 questions, as you have a 1/4 chance per question, you'll most likely get a score of 5/20.

However, the chances of getting a perfect score would be (1/4 X 1/4..... X 1/4   20 times) which is 0.000000000001= F all chance in anyone's language.

For the record, I'm not a fan of multiple choice, especially for subjects like history and languages.
I think that he's assuming that each question has 5 answers to choose from (standard in North America). So that would be a 20% chance of getting the question correct.
If you did this for every question, it would average out to a 20% score (given a large enough sample size).
So if you know only 70 answers out of a hundred, you can still expect to get a 76%. Not a great system, if you ask me.
I remember in university, they dealt with this problem by making incorrect multi-choice answers worth -1 points (while leaving the answer blank would just give you a zero). It discouraged guessing, and made it much easier for professors to immediately see which questions students were uncertain about.
Would suck to get you test back and see that you got a -80%, though,  :laugh: :cry:

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4547 on: December 20, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »
I still can't quite fathom that for the most important, life-forming test ever you can guess an answer you're not sure about and have a 20% of getting it right.  That doesn't show ability, it just shows you can get lucky[/b].

I think that he's assuming that each question has 5 answers to choose from (standard in North America). So that would be a 20% chance of getting the question correct.
If you did this for every question, it would average out to a 20% score (given a large enough sample size).
So if you know only 70 answers out of a hundred, you can still expect to get a 76%. Not a great system, if you ask me.
I remember in university, they dealt with this problem by making incorrect multi-choice answers worth -1 points (while leaving the answer blank would just give you a zero). It discouraged guessing, and made it much easier for professors to immediately see which questions students were uncertain about.
Would suck to get you test back and see that you got a -80%, though,  :laugh: :cry:

Fair enough, but my calculation was based on guessing every answer.

When it comes to written answers, marks are often awarded for partially correct answers. If I was doing a difficult chemical equation, but I didn't get the correct final answer, I was awarded marks for the parts I did correctly before I went wrong.

This is taken out of the equation, as it were, when doing multiple choice. You're either 100% correct, or you're totally wrong. You might get the odd question right by guessing, but one gets nothing for having a final wrong answer. I think multiple choice is popular as they are so easy to grade.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4548 on: December 20, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
When it comes to written answers, marks are often awarded for partially correct answers. If I was doing a difficult chemical equation, but I didn't get the correct final answer, I was awarded marks for the parts I did correctly before I went wrong.

This is taken out of the equation, as it were, when doing multiple choice. You're either 100% correct, or you're totally wrong. You might get the odd question right by guessing, but one gets nothing for having a final wrong answer. I think multiple choice is popular as they are so easy to grade.
No arguments there: written answer tests are infinitely better for a million different reasons. They'll never replace scantrons because, as you say, multi-choice tests are super easy to grade.
Damn lazy teachers!

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4549 on: December 20, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »
My school has turned off the heating in the bathroom. I have needed to pee for over an hour, but it is like sitting on an ice block  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
-A.A. Milne

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4550 on: December 20, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
My school has turned off the heating in the bathroom. I have needed to pee for over an hour, but it is like sitting on an ice block  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've never worked at a school with a heated bathroom.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4551 on: December 20, 2017, 01:27:37 PM »

My travel school has heated toilet seats!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4552 on: December 20, 2017, 02:09:31 PM »

One of my travel schools had not only heated toilet seats, but soap AND classical music.   :laugh:

And this was way out in the boonies. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4553 on: December 20, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
One of my travel schools had not only heated toilet seats, but soap AND classical music.   :laugh:

And this was way out in the boonies.
How depressing is it that soap sounds luxurious?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4554 on: December 20, 2017, 02:14:40 PM »

You can make your own with a dozen hot packs, a pair of socks and a bit of duct tape!
Like so:

:smiley:

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4555 on: December 20, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »
You guys have toilets? I have to pee behind a tree at one of my travel schools.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4556 on: December 20, 2017, 02:54:29 PM »

You guys have trees? I have to pee into a sewer drain by the side of the road.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4557 on: December 20, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »

If I make a mistake in class, my Co-T makes me pee my pants in front of the students.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4558 on: December 20, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Don't make me laugh I will pee myself!!!
-A.A. Milne

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #4559 on: December 20, 2017, 03:03:45 PM »

If I make a mistake in class, my Co-T makes me pee my pants in front of the students.

Funny. If my students make a mistake in class, my Co-T makes me pee in their pants in front of everyone.  :undecided: