December 17, 2017, 02:28:13 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 429992 times)

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4540 on: November 28, 2017, 12:35:18 PM »
it's strange how english study has become 'game time' in korea. parents and kids expect english to always be fun. is there the same expectation for other subjects, such as maths or science?

In my high school, the maths teacher has 100% Teacher Talking Time.  It is shut up and listen time, the students look so bored.  I'm sure this is not good, but then I'm sure there is so much maths to teach that students are going to fall behind easily.  In middle school, there was more of a basis on teams together and the teacher giving problems to solve between themselves.  I liked that as stronger students could help the weaker students, and they'd be less likely to fall behind. 

If I remember my secondary school science classes, it involved filling my friend's pencil case with gas and blowing it up, or running a high current through a straightened paper clip and cutting things with the hot wire.  Fun...  Korean students don't seem to do a lot of 'experiments', like that.  :-[
there's nothing that makes me more annoyed than when students say "teacher, not fun", regardless of whether it's a game or not. i'm not sure how they even have the audacity to say it; i certainly wouldn't have even dreamt to say something like that at school. a surefire way that that student won't be partaking in any more group activities for the rest of class

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #4541 on: November 28, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »
there's nothing that makes me more annoyed than when students say "teacher, not fun", regardless of whether it's a game or not. i'm not sure how they even have the audacity to say it; i certainly wouldn't have even dreamt to say something like that at school. a surefire way that that student won't be partaking in any more group activities for the rest of class

That's what my teacher would have said

:police: (but smaller): Teacher, this is not fun.

:-* Obviously, we're conjugating 7 prime verbs in the conditional, je, tu, il/elle, nous, vous, ils/elles 10 times each. It will take an hour. Why on earth would you even begin to consider this as a fun activity. Now shut up and start writing, you'll thank me when you you go to Quebec on vacation and have French friends in Korea later in life.

:police: (but smaller and a little red in the face): What's a Korea?

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4542 on: November 28, 2017, 01:09:26 PM »
As a complete aside, here's a French joke. (Sorry, no accents, you'll figure it out)

Alors, il y en a un guerre dans un pays africain. Un famille la decides a demenage au Quebec.

:afro: Fils, maintenant nous sommes Canadien. Ta mere et moi voulons que tu participeras dans les sports et les choses culturelle ici. Alors, cet hiver, nous voulons que tu patinera.

:police: D'accord papa.

Alors, hiver c'arrive, et il prends ses patins et depart la maison. Il arrive au edifice et il regarde la signage.

PATINOIR

:police: Pas 'tit noir? Mon dieu, c'est si raciste! 

Il retourne chez lui.

:police: Maman, y'en a un signe la qui dit "Pas 'tit noir!" Qu'est-ce que je peux faire?

:-* Mon dieu! Je pensais que Canada ete liberal et ouvert, mais peut-etre non........... Viens avec moi au salle de bain.

Maman peint toute sa peau vert.

:-* Retourne maintenant. Personne saura.

:police: D'accord.

Il retourne encore un fois au patinoir et regarde le signage.

PATINOIR

OUVERT

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4543 on: November 28, 2017, 01:30:53 PM »
As a complete aside, here's a French joke. (Sorry, no accents, you'll figure it out)

Alors, il y en a un guerre dans un pays africain. Un famille la decides a demenage au Quebec.

:afro: Fils, maintenant nous sommes Canadien. Ta mere et moi voulons que tu participeras dans les sports et les choses culturelle ici. Alors, cet hiver, nous voulons que tu patinera.

:police: D'accord papa.

Alors, hiver c'arrive, et il prends ses patins et depart la maison. Il arrive au edifice et il regarde la signage.

PATINOIR

:police: Pas 'tit noir? Mon dieu, c'est si raciste! 

Il retourne chez lui.

:police: Maman, y'en a un signe la qui dit "Pas 'tit noir!" Qu'est-ce que je peux faire?

:-* Mon dieu! Je pensais que Canada ete liberal et ouvert, mais peut-etre non........... Viens avec moi au salle de bain.

Maman peint toute sa peau vert.

:-* Retourne maintenant. Personne saura.

:police: D'accord.

Il retourne encore un fois au patinoir et regarde le signage.

PATINOIR

OUVERT

L’mao

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4544 on: November 28, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #4545 on: November 28, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »
^^^^^     

hmmmm..... maybe that's why I don't remember ever seeing any black people at the skating rink when I was growing up  :undecided:

Anywhoo, keeping with the French theme:

Everytime I hear students say "개새끼야!" my mind hears "qu'est-ce qu'il y a?"and I do a double take to make sure I'm not actually hearing French. But it never is ㅜㅜ Ah, fils de pute!!

Offline tadpole511

• Adventurer
« Reply #4546 on: November 28, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »
I've taken to speaking French to my kids when they're annoying me between classes. Works like a charm.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4547 on: November 28, 2017, 01:45:10 PM »
Everytime I hear students say "개새끼야!" my mind hears "qu'est-ce qu'il y a?"and I do a double take to make sure I'm not actually hearing French. But it never is ㅜㅜ Ah, fils de pute!!

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Holy shit,

You know what I learned from Ghost Pepper Farmer on Saturday. 빵 is just taken from pain.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: 5 years and I had no idea! THE HELL!!!!!!!???????!!!!!!!!!!????????

As another French aside, my friend from Minnesota phoned me during our first year here and asked me to meet him at the

:afro: Touse Lezz Jowers

:police: The what?????

:afro: The Touse Lezz Jowers

:police: What are you on about?

:afro: You know, there's Paris Baguette and there's............ Touse Lezz Jowers

:police: It's Tous Les Jours, the facccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk are you on?????  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4548 on: November 28, 2017, 01:46:27 PM »
Why don't French people eat two eggs for breakfast?

Because one is un oeuf

8)

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4549 on: November 28, 2017, 01:52:27 PM »

Because one is un oeuf

8)

L’oeuf is zero to a tennis player.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #4550 on: November 28, 2017, 01:59:39 PM »

You know what I learned from Ghost Pepper Farmer on Saturday. 빵 is just taken from pain.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: 5 years and I had no idea! THE HELL!!!!!!!???????!!!!!!!!!!????????

Yeah, 빵 was one of the first Korean words I learned and if my (nerdy) memory serves it actually comes from Portuguese by way of Japan.

pão -> パン ->

pretty cool factoid IMO

Touse Lezz Jowers

Did your friend mean

뚜레쥬르??

aka the original and proper spelling  :P

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4551 on: November 28, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »
Did your friend mean

뚜레쥬르??

aka the original and proper spelling  :P

He did. hahaha Absolutely my favourite mispronunciation of all-time.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #4552 on: November 28, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »

Because one is un oeuf

8)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Amazing

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4553 on: November 28, 2017, 02:31:37 PM »

:-* Obviously, we're conjugating 7 prime verbs in the conditional, je, tu, il/elle, nous, vous, ils/elles 10 times each. It will take an hour. Why on earth would you even begin to consider this as a fun activity. Now shut up and start writing, you'll thank me when you you go to Quebec on vacation and have French friends in Korea later in life.

you've never spent time preparing something more fun than the textbook activities, only for kids to complain about it before they've even tried it? that's what i hate

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4554 on: November 28, 2017, 02:37:51 PM »

you've never spent time preparing something more fun than the textbook activities, only for kids to complain about it before they've even tried it? that's what i hate

Oh of course,. Drives me nuts. We didn't play games in school. We shut up and did our work, and if you acted up you got a bad mark and your French was shit and you looked like an idiot.

This isn't to sound arrogant, but I think I was fortunate to be in the French program because the idiots didn't last too long in there. So the classes were all fairly bright kids and the slower kids, or ones who couldn't focus, got transferred back to the English stream. Games we did not play.   

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4555 on: November 28, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »
i think i'm just sick of teaching kids tbh

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4556 on: November 28, 2017, 02:45:10 PM »
I've taken to speaking French to my kids when they're annoying me between classes. Works like a charm.

As I teach high school students, I teach them a little French and I also teach them a little Swedish, and they enjoy it.

French, will be things like 'Tous Les Jours' or other shops or words that they see every day that they might find interesting to know what they mean. 

And in Swedish, there are things like 'Fika' - which is a verb that means to have a coffee together.  I've seen at least two coffee shops in Seoul that are called 'Fika'.  There is one that annoys me and that is the clothes shop called Åland in Seoul, there are quite a few.  But the staff always call in Aland.  With Swedish, you can guess a little what is being said by linking it a bit to English.  I want to show them that some languages are not really that daunting when you really look at them.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4557 on: November 28, 2017, 03:17:58 PM »
I have now deduced that I need one of them pedal things that records loops. 

Electric is a whole new world.  It's like playing a new instrument that I'm magically already proficient in.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #4558 on: November 28, 2017, 03:20:27 PM »

Oh of course,. Drives me nuts. We didn't play games in school. We shut up and did our work, and if you acted up you got a bad mark and your French was shit and you looked like an idiot.

This isn't to sound arrogant, but I think I was fortunate to be in the French program because the idiots didn't last too long in there. So the classes were all fairly bright kids and the slower kids, or ones who couldn't focus, got transferred back to the English stream. Games we did not play.

I always got poor grades in French, didn't have any immersion or intrinsic motivation to learn it, and only had French like twice a week, until grade 10, when I dropped it. My French is not good.

And yet I could understand about 90% of the joke you wrote without having to look up any kind of translation.

And yet, here we are...

Even where I grew up, in Montreal (a predominantly French city), being in full French immersion from K till 4th grade, then French classes in junior high, high school and through CEGEP, only about 30-40% (maybe??) of the (anglo) kids would be considered fluent by the end of it. And this in a place where FRENCH WAS EVERYWHERE.

And most of those who did get somewhat decent at it (like me), had been lucky enough to be given other opportunities to use French IRL situations pretty consistently. I don't think it has much to do with smarts, self-discipline maybe, but motivation caused by opportunity and necessity of use.

That being said, I don't remember French class being a time for games and "tricks" to get us to learn, either. If anything French class was pretty "old-school" with the rote memorizing and endless copying. You did the work and then you succeeded or failed accordingly. It was no NET Englishee class, that's for sure  :P

Online MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4559 on: November 28, 2017, 07:30:34 PM »
I have now deduced that I need one of them pedal things that records loops. 

Electric is a whole new world.  It's like playing a new instrument that I'm magically already proficient in.

The Digitech RP 255 is a great and cheap place to start (it was for me). Effects pedal with looper at a very cheap price. Look into it!