January 19, 2018, 05:54:53 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 465777 times)

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4440 on: November 17, 2017, 09:04:31 AM »
My Korean friend took me out last night and it all went a bit pear.

He said I could sleep at his place (Sillim), which is great (I live near Anyang). I needed to make a skype call to my buddy back in Canada last night so I went outside and did it. I don't remember much but I remember not having my phone and going up some stairs with some young dudes and we got to their door and I started thinking, "nah, no, this ain't right." So I jetted downstairs and they followed me, not aggressively, but just coming back down after me. There were some cops outside, so I told them that I lost my phone and they phoned it. The guys pocket starts ringing. He has my phone. The cops tell him to give it back, he does. They leave. I don't even know where I am, all I know is that I'm in Sillim. I've been there 5 times but I sure as hell don't know the back streets. Fukking scary, man, no joke. I got home at 7AM. I could have slept at 1AM, but I went out for a skype call and this shit went down at........... 430? What a mess. Still have a lot to improve on with my behaviour and priorities.

I don't know what would have happened had I went with those guys. Maybe nothing. But they did have my phone and didn't tell me.

Couldn't help but think of how easy it is to get lost and taken advantage of when we've all had a few. Be careful out there.

Sounds like we were moments away from either an expat Sex tape scandal or murder. Riveting stuff. Imagine the thread on waygook though....
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4441 on: November 17, 2017, 09:16:27 AM »

He said I could sleep at his place (Sillim), which is great (I live near Anyang). I needed to make a skype call to my buddy back in Canada last night so I went outside and did it. I don't remember much but I remember not having my phone and going up some stairs with some young dudes and we got to their door and I started thinking, "nah, no, this ain't right." So I jetted downstairs and they followed me, not aggressively, but just coming back down after me. There were some cops outside, so I told them that I lost my phone and they phoned it. The guys pocket starts ringing. He has my phone. The cops tell him to give it back, he does. They leave. I don't even know where I am, all I know is that I'm in Sillim. I've been there 5 times but I sure as hell don't know the back streets. Fukking scary, man, no joke. I got home at 7AM. I could have slept at 1AM, but I went out for a skype call and this shit went down at........... 430? What a mess. Still have a lot to improve on with my behaviour and priorities.

I don't know what would have happened had I went with those guys. Maybe nothing. But they did have my phone and didn't tell me.

Couldn't help but think of how easy it is to get lost and taken advantage of when we've all had a few. Be careful out there.

Sounds like we were moments away from either an expat Sex tape scandal or murder. Riveting stuff. Imagine the thread on waygook though....

AvecPommesFrites  sans cerveau

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #4442 on: November 17, 2017, 09:28:56 AM »
C'est quoi le raison? Je pense que t'es correct, mais pourquoi? hahah

EDIT: Attends, tu refere a qui? Moi ou Monsieur French Fry? Parce-que j'en ai beaucoup be probleme pour rendre les decisions aussi. hong hong hong

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4443 on: November 17, 2017, 09:31:24 AM »

Je pense qu'il perd sa tÍte souvent celui la

CO2 damn, you seriously don't remember from 1AM till 4:30? That's... not good.

Glad you're alright though.  :smiley:

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4444 on: November 17, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »
Just spent the past hour watching peepshow on youtube. Much appreciated folks.

What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4445 on: November 17, 2017, 09:38:44 AM »

I remember talking to my uni buddy for a long ass time. I don't even know why I was with those guys though. My friend took me to a cocktail bar. It's not his fault obv, I'm an adult, but no more fking cocktail bars. Ugh.  It's easy when it's someone else's credit card.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4446 on: November 17, 2017, 09:46:02 AM »

I remember talking to my uni buddy for a long ass time. I don't even know why I was with those guys though. My friend took me to a cocktail bar. It's not his fault obv, I'm an adult, but no more fking cocktail bars. Ugh.  It's easy when it's someone else's credit card.

Wow, sounds like a crazy night. You seem pretty street-smart but obvs BS can happen to anyone. And if someone else was paying I'd probably let it all hang out too. Just... maybe not on a Thursday evening haha

I wish there was a decent cocktail bar near me  :sad:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4447 on: November 17, 2017, 10:13:28 AM »

Does your bum hurt?

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4448 on: November 17, 2017, 10:14:58 AM »
Wow, sounds like a crazy night. You seem pretty street-smart but obvs BS can happen to anyone. And if someone else was paying I'd probably let it all hang out too. Just... maybe not on a Thursday evening haha

I wish there was a decent cocktail bar near me  :sad:
I have a hard time saying no. I'm agreeable to a fault. hahaha. I'm a Torontonian like Jim Carrey.

Street smart, yeah, I'm not bad. I'm too damn friendly though. Need to bolster my skepticism a bit.

Does your bum hurt?

Nope, it's had some practice. Asking the woman though is always a little awkward.  :cheesy:

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4449 on: November 17, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »
I've ribbed Kev before about his "preference" due to his effeminate mannerisms, but he is painting quite the picture...

Going out for...cocktails
with another MAN and lets him PAY for the drinks!!!
Gets propositioned for a "sleepover"...

One would think female, no? ;)

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4450 on: November 17, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »
CO2 always came across as a lad's lad to me.

I haven't got black out drunk for a good 8-10 years.

Offline OnNut81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4451 on: November 17, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »
CO2, as a Torontonian I don't get the Toronto reference.  Also, aren't you from Burlington?

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4452 on: November 17, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »

It's been almost 22 years for me, when I was 17, and that was only the once.  I can handle my drink, but I also think dignity is really important as you get older.  When I worked in Sweden as a chef, my boss was an alcoholic and regularly on Fridays after dinner service we'd get through a box of wine and number of beers while tidying, but never to the point of me blacking out.

Actually, I talked with one of my co-teachers about that this week because the English teachers had dinner together (I had night class so didn't go) and my super lovely, cutesy co-teacher (in her early thirties) doesn't seem to have that self-control when she drinks with others.  So in the morning, some other teachers mentioned that she called them late at night in tears because she drank too much.  She then came in looking sheepish.  I had a similar thing with my wife in February, where she was almost unconscious from drinking with her school teachers.  I couldn't even carry her from the car up to our apartment (through the car park where my students' parents drive their car) because she was like a squid (no bones) then puked on the floor in the house.  I then sat with her to make sure she didn't choke on her vomit.  I just don't get it.  I told her if it happens again, then I'm leaving.

Not dissing CO2, it is just something I think that as you get older it should be something that is less frequent.  I don't want my wife to stop drinking, which is what she has done, just learn how to control it, and be dignified.  It happens everywhere, I know, but in Korea it is a socially-accepted thing, which makes it all the more worse. 

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4453 on: November 17, 2017, 11:10:49 AM »
I've just found since like 25, but especially since I turned 30 I get "The Fear", the morning after drinking.
"God what rubbish was I talking last night. What a dick I was." And like weird anxiety.

I guess that is tied in with dignity.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4454 on: November 17, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »
Very considerate of Dave to make sure his spouse didn't choke on her own vomit.

Which made me think:

There was a young foreigner in my neighborhood, looked to be late twenties with a manbun/d.donut.  I would see him sitting alone inside the CU drinking those plastic bottles of Cass on occasion.

A couple of Saturdays ago, as I was up early to go for a run, I saw him stumbling drunk, fall into some bushes.

I did a double take, but simply continued on my run.

I haven't seen him since.

Perhaps I should have stopped to check on him... :(

Offline theman3285

• Veteran
« Reply #4455 on: November 17, 2017, 11:29:44 AM »
I told her if it happens again, then I'm leaving.

Awesome. Take notes, people.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4456 on: November 17, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »
I've just found since like 25, but especially since I turned 30 I get "The Fear", the morning after drinking.
"God what rubbish was I talking last night. What a dick I was." And like weird anxiety.

I guess that is tied in with dignity.

I get that too. Actually, it's common with hangovers to have a sense of a loss of well-being and increased anxiety.
But as I get older, this is becoming the worst part of a night out that no nap or delivery food can cure!

Offline OnNut81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4457 on: November 17, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
My Korean girlfriend and her family members we drink with on a weekly basis get hammered.  We're all over 40 and I can handle my beer but if I get to the point that my motor skills start to go I call it a night.  I've had to haul my gf around into taxis and back home too many times to recall.  And these are people with respectable jobs.  They just look at drinking time as a time to get acceptably hammered.  I think it's pathetic and often turns my nights out into a stressful form of babysitting.  It's why I usually push for a night in of drinking.  Makes my life easier.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4458 on: November 17, 2017, 11:56:50 AM »

Yeah, my bros are my bros. Once you're my bro, you're family. I've told my friends this, we don't have family here in Korea (for the most part), so keeping a tight group of people around you whom you can rely on is super important. When shit goes south, your mom can only help so much, a phone call can only help so much. You need a group of family here, really good friends who will watch out for you no matter what. I have a group like that, they don't all know each other, necessarily, (but most are connected somehow). Shine is one of those people.

Also, Pecan, he thought he might be gay, but if he's still expecting to have sex with me after 5 years, he has the patience of a saint.
It's been almost 22 years for me, when I was 17, and that was only the once.  I can handle my drink, but I also think dignity is really important as you get older.  When I worked in Sweden as a chef, my boss was an alcoholic and regularly on Fridays after dinner service we'd get through a box of wine and number of beers while tidying, but never to the point of me blacking out.

Not dissing CO2, it is just something I think that as you get older it should be something that is less frequent.  I don't want my wife to stop drinking, which is what she has done, just learn how to control it, and be dignified.  It happens everywhere, I know, but in Korea it is a socially-accepted thing, which makes it all the more worse.

Yeah, these are few and far between. Just a really stupid incident last night, I'm pretty good at handling myself since I broke up with my GF in March.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4459 on: November 17, 2017, 11:57:34 AM »
CO2, as a Torontonian I don't get the Toronto reference.  Also, aren't you from Burlington?
Jim Carrey is from Scarberia. And I was born in Hamilton, McU. But I moved around Ontario a lot, and I lived in Toronto  prior to coming here. I don't identify with Hamilton at all, I've been back once since we moved away when I was 10. I identify more with Sudbury and Toronto even though I only lived in both for three years. Hometowns are important but I have no family of friends there and I only went back once to see Mumford and Sons at Copps.