December 18, 2017, 04:58:00 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 431588 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4420 on: November 14, 2017, 08:43:43 AM »
Our principal (nicest lady you could ever meet) just sent a bunch of us a message in Korean. Translated......

"Please stop making anonymous personnel who try to act as principal."

:laugh: What the hell is going on? Is she being usurped or is this legit identity theft? hahahaha

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4421 on: November 14, 2017, 08:44:39 AM »

One of those tasty little ice cream cakes from Paris Baguette.

Interesting -- I didn't know that Paris Baguette sells ice cream cakes.

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4422 on: November 14, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »

One of those tasty little ice cream cakes from Paris Baguette.

Interesting -- I didn't know that Paris Baguette sells ice cream cakes.

Yeah, but it isn't the same as ice cream cakes from back home. When they say ice cream cake here, they mean ice cream in the shape of a cake (so no actual cake). Back home, there was ice cream actually inside of a cake. Just to let you know before you think you're in for a treat.

Online OnNut81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4423 on: November 14, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »
Speaking of ice cream has anyone tried the treats at the recently opened Dairy Queen in Taehagno?  Never really went to the back home, but if it's any good I'll head up.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4424 on: November 14, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »
Yeah, but it isn't the same as ice cream cakes from back home. When they say ice cream cake here, they mean ice cream in the shape of a cake (so no actual cake). Back home, there was ice cream actually inside of a cake. Just to let you know before you think you're in for a treat.

Huh...interesting.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4425 on: November 14, 2017, 10:50:18 AM »

Huh...interesting.

Usually. To be fair, there's a pleasant amount of cakey crumbs dusted all over the ice cream "cake" I like to get.

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4426 on: November 14, 2017, 01:58:31 PM »
I need a change. A big change, but not too big .... I don't want to move home, but I need to move, maybe to Busan, or Goeje, somewhere with a beach. But I am also lazy and don't feel like the whole, re-apply to EPIK to transfer provinces and potentially not get through the process and end up unemployed,  plus I am not sure they have a huge number of couple positions and I think I will be given my renewal papers by the end of the week so decisions must be made and right now I just really am hungry so thinking is hard. For a fleeting moment I thought about changing from public to the dreaded hagwon, but I let that idea go. Shit hours. Not enough paid vacay.

And now I want ice cream cake from back home ......
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4427 on: November 14, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
What constitutes as "fancy" Korean food?

Whenever I've been out to nice/expensive places here, it's always non-Korean food. Expensive Japanese style sushi, or steak, Italian, French etc.

Has anyone had expensive/fancy Korean food? I asked some Korean people and they said when they want to go out to some nice upscale restaurant, it's usually western food. Aside from the controversial hanwoo meat (which is just expensive)  what else is there?

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4428 on: November 14, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »

Whenever I've been out to nice/expensive places here, it's always non-Korean food. Expensive Japanese style sushi, or steak, Italian, French etc.

Has anyone had expensive/fancy Korean food? I asked some Korean people and they said when they want to go out to some nice upscale restaurant, it's usually western food. Aside from the controversial hanwoo meat (which is just expensive)  what else is there?

Although not really expensive, but kind of, there is that one Korean buffet. I can't remember the name of it, but it is supposed to be a Korean food buffet. I went once, and it was fine, but not impressive in the least. Other than that, the only other thing that I think is actually pretty pricey, is if you went to a crab restaurant. Usually you order the crab, and they cook it and serve it with a lot of sides. After eating they make fried rice with some of it. Although it isn't upscale, but is expensive, Garak Market does seafood. You go downstairs and shop around and choose what you want. They then give you number that you then take up to a restaurant upstairs (of your choice). That restaurant goes and gets your order and prepares it for you (of course charging you to do so). That's all I have. Aside from those, you could go the route of the Michelin restaurants. I am sure they would love to serve you up some tiny expensive bites  :laugh:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #4429 on: November 14, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »

I think the closest you're gonna get is the "royal court cuisine" (궁중 한정식) but I don't feel that it's really worth going out of your way for, as it's mostly stuff you'd find in your school cafeteria anyway, and on top of that it can be pretty expensive. 

I like Korean food just fine, and it certainly has its charm, but IMO the words "korean food" and "fancy" shouldn't appear in the same sentence unless they're separated by a "is not".

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:15:15 PM by DMZabductee »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4430 on: November 14, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »

I think the closest you're gonna get is the "royal court cuisine" (궁중 한정식) but I don't feel that it's really worth going out of your way for, as it's mostly stuff you'd find in your school cafeteria anyway, and on top of that it can be pretty expensive. 

I like Korean food just fine, and it certainly has it's charm, but IMO the words "korean food" and "fancy" shouldn't appear in the same sentence unless they're separated by a "is not".

I've not eaten there, but "The Lounge" at the Park Hyatt is supposed to be high-class Korean food.

Apparently they have a very seasonal menu, with a focus on quality ingredients.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #4431 on: November 14, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »

I've not eaten there, but "The Lounge" at the Park Hyatt is supposed to be high-class Korean food.

Apparently they have a very seasonal menu, with a focus on quality ingredients.

Just checked out the menu, hanwoo tartar, mandu and steak all sound good, but it's 90k per head, and if you get the wine pairing tack on another 30k. Looks better than the 한정식, though.

http://www.seoul.park.hyattrestaurants.com/lounge/menu-en.html

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4432 on: November 15, 2017, 09:58:38 AM »
The Arsene Wenger look seems to be a big hit this winter.
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4433 on: November 15, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
수능 tomorrow! That means I am getting off early today and heading out of town for the night. I shall be back in the afternoon tomorrow. All the while, I will not be thinking of work.

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4434 on: November 15, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »
For the past few weeks, I've noticed a decrease in the quality of my main school's lunches.  I wonder if budget cuts impact school lunch.......

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4435 on: November 15, 2017, 12:04:17 PM »
For the past few weeks, I've noticed a decrease in the quality of my main school's lunches.  I wonder if budget cuts impact school lunch.......

There's always a week or two during the middle of a semester that I notice the lunches get cheaper and more carb-y. I feel like most schools plan their lunches to be good at the start so nobody complains, and then save some money in the middle, and then blow the remaining budget at the end.

I don't eat the lunches anymore, but my schools always seemed to have a rapid decline in quality as we approached the the last month of the year, not sure if it is budget related or whether they are just trying and clear everything out of the kitchens before vacation....
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4436 on: November 15, 2017, 12:46:09 PM »
What?Waht?Message me buddy. I tried to send you one but it says you've blocked me. lol
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4437 on: November 15, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
EARTHQUAKEEEEEEE

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4438 on: November 15, 2017, 01:39:19 PM »
EARTHQUAKEEEEEEE

Or did you eat more of those chilli cutlets?  Huh?  Is it just the feeling of your stomach collapsing?  Thought so.....

:P

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4439 on: November 16, 2017, 10:30:26 AM »
Holy hell. hahahahaha Teacher types christmas into youtube. It's signed into my account because I have a "Songs for School" playlist. I had already searched "christmas turkey peep show" so it came up as a default. She clicks on it. Video starts to play.

>:( YOU WHAT? NO TUR-

:police: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO *closes window"

:-* Where are the carols?

Jesus Christ, that was close.