December 18, 2018, 02:41:54 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 856152 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4340 on: November 20, 2017, 01:39:23 PM »
I only knew about that resto because my ex showed me it years ago and said that that's where all the foreign celebrities go when they go to Gwangjang. So I thought I had a pretty good idea of where Rambo would be. Well, so did she. Bumped smack into her. She never told me what happened that day regarding Ramsay and I assumed we got relatively similar pics. Nope. I got this a few hours later on kakao. hahaha Also, my old cats are fine. hahahaha

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4341 on: November 20, 2017, 02:00:45 PM »
I too am feeling weird about travelling this vacation. I need to save money.

I also don't want to just stay in Korea the whole time.

...Oh, look! There's Japan!  ;D

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #4342 on: November 20, 2017, 02:11:23 PM »

Haha. The funny thing is, travelling to literally anywhere in Asia is way easier on your pocketbook than Japan is. At least that's what I've experienced. The plane tickets are super cheap but once you're there, it's just like, "Ehhhh. I'll spend a whole paycheque or two."
And somehow I enjoy Japan so much, I never seem to mind. Btw, I think Hong Kong is way more expensive.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Online DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4343 on: November 20, 2017, 02:14:23 PM »

Haha. The funny thing is, travelling to literally anywhere in Asia is way easier on your pocketbook than Japan is. At least that's what I've experienced. The plane tickets are super cheap but once you're there, it's just like, "Ehhhh. I'll spend a whole paycheque or two."

Yeah, you're probably right. I never can stick to a budget once I'm on vacation, either.

I'm trying to justify Japan to myself cause I'd really like to go Hokkaido in winter, and I keep saying that 3-4 days would be enough. Of course, ski rental and day passes wouldn't be cheap. And then the necessary hot springs...

And as much as I love that konbini life I'd for sure splurge on food. oh man, take me now! :laugh:

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #4344 on: November 20, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
If you had the inside scoop that someone was leaving a sweet gig and there was an old posting up on a job board for that school with the same hiring contact information, would you apply before they posted that person's job, to slide in early? Or do you think the school would look upon that negatively? The person leaving can't really help in terms of influence as they weren't there very long.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4345 on: November 21, 2017, 07:33:25 AM »
Been thinking about the future quite a bit recently. 

It's time to move on from Korea.  I think I might go home and become a farmer.  I don't want to live in the big cities anymore, it's easy enough to visit them without living in them.  I think the quiet country life is for me.  It's how I grew up, I think that's what I need to return to.  Go kickstart the olive business that the parents have had as a languishing side project, develop some other horticultural produce - it's fun researching the possible produce, not everything needs to be broad acre farming or tomatoes or grapes (although a vineyard would be awesome, there is heavy direct competition).  And some good old fashioned hard work instead of sitting at a desk or dancing around a classroom.  It will be satisfying.

It's somewhere between exciting and reassuring that this is one the cards.  I can't believe it took me this long to realise this is a serious option.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4346 on: November 21, 2017, 07:53:51 AM »

It's time to move on from Korea.  I think I might go home and become a farmer.  I don't want to live in the big cities anymore, it's easy enough to visit them without living in them.  I think the quiet country life is for me.  It's how I grew up, I think that's what I need to return to.  Go kickstart the olive business that the parents have had as a languishing side project, develop some other horticultural produce - it's fun researching the possible produce, not everything needs to be broad acre farming or tomatoes or grapes (although a vineyard would be awesome, there is heavy direct competition).  And some good old fashioned hard work instead of sitting at a desk or dancing around a classroom.  It will be satisfying.

It's somewhere between exciting and reassuring that this is one the cards.  I can't believe it took me this long to realise this is a serious option.

someone i know moved back to canada to become a farmer. seriously. they're doing really well now. not sure how much you know about farming but i would recommend actually studying it and taking a course if you haven't already. it can often be more complicated than one thinks, especially modern-day farming.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4347 on: November 21, 2017, 07:56:33 AM »

someone i know moved back to canada to become a farmer. seriously. they're doing really well now. not sure how much you know about farming but i would recommend actually studying it and taking a course if you haven't already. it can often be more complicated than one thinks, especially modern-day farming.
They're MADE of chicken!

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4348 on: November 21, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »

Yeh, I've been thinking about the same thing. I grew up on a farm, but it was a sheep and broad acre cropping farm - and I'm not interested in livestock.  But we have a lot of land that can be utilised in different ways instead of sheep, I'm need to research and study the best ways to do it.  I have a foundation already, but I need the specialty knowledge next.  I've started reading case studies of horticultural farming practices in area or climates similar to the family farm - there are so many choices about what to grow. It's quite exciting.

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #4349 on: November 21, 2017, 08:42:41 AM »
If you had the inside scoop that someone was leaving a sweet gig and there was an old posting up on a job board for that school with the same hiring contact information, would you apply before they posted that person's job, to slide in early? Or do you think the school would look upon that negatively? The person leaving can't really help in terms of influence as they weren't there very long.

I'd absolutely apply for it.  If the person is leaving and there is an opportunity to jump in before they advertise the job then that's your good luck and others' bad luck. 

I did something similar a couple of years back to get my current job.  As my middle school job was being phased out, I thought I'd message my Korean Engish teacher friend at the high school to see if the current native teacher would renew.  She said they weren't, so I said I wanted that job.  She talked to the principal and it was agreed before they advertised it. 

I actually did another similar thing a year before that when I was in my elementary job and they were opening up just one middle school position in my city for the following year.  I talked to another Korean English teacher and told her I was the best person for the job so she called the supervisor and said as much.  The supervisor wasn't sure as they wanted to advertise it, but then called her back a few hours later to say I could have it.

'Sneaking' in before they advertise shows initiative and forward planning. 

Japan not on the cards, or are you justing keeping your options open?
I wasnít able to save the amount I wanted to in order to get the student visa, so I thought it would be best to stay for one more year. I am also applying to certain good schools in Japan but Iíd rather just go to language school first than struggle. Anyway this sweet gig is too good to pass up but now the situation has gotten more complicated because I asked for a raise at my current job fully expecting it to not come through because it never has before and so I was all set to say today Iím not renewing and now this throws a wrench in. Iím probably still not going to renew but that does make it harder to say so.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4350 on: November 21, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »
I wasnít able to save the amount I wanted to in order to get the student visa

Was it an amount you set for yourself, or an amount the Japanese government set that you need to have in order to sponsor yourself? I'm interested in doing the same thing, so it'd be nice to know what sort of figure I should be shooting for.

Also, any idea how to prove that you've got the money? Will they take bank statements in KRW, or will I have to find a way to get an official statement of the amount I've got in a Korean bank in dollars instead?

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #4351 on: November 21, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
I wasnít able to save the amount I wanted to in order to get the student visa

Was it an amount you set for yourself, or an amount the Japanese government set that you need to have in order to sponsor yourself? I'm interested in doing the same thing, so it'd be nice to know what sort of figure I should be shooting for.

Also, any idea how to prove that you've got the money? Will they take bank statements in KRW, or will I have to find a way to get an official statement of the amount I've got in a Korean bank in dollars instead?
If you want to self sponsor and guarantee your chances of getting that COE, you need somewhere around $30,000 USD in savings. If you have someone with savings that is willing to sponsor you then it's less of an issue. I don't have that, so it's all on me. Also, realizing I am sick of commuting, in order to avoid living out in the boonies, I want to save more so I can live IN Tokyo and not go broke.
I am not sure about the proof, but I think Korean bank statements are okay, but don't hold me to that.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4352 on: November 21, 2017, 01:31:36 PM »

If you want to self sponsor and guarantee your chances of getting that COE, you need somewhere around $30,000 USD in savings. If you have someone with savings that is willing to sponsor you then it's less of an issue. I don't have that, so it's all on me. Also, realizing I am sick of commuting, in order to avoid living out in the boonies, I want to save more so I can live IN Tokyo and not go broke.
I am not sure about the proof, but I think Korean bank statements are okay, but don't hold me to that.

Hm. I don't quite have that much set aside now, but like you I intend to stay another year, so I ought to be able to get my saving up there comfortably enough. I suppose the question is whether I'll be able to do it by the time I apply for the student visa, which will be months before the end of my next contract. I'll also have 7 years of pension and severance to pad my bank account, but those won't be in my account until after I leave, so they won't help much in the visa application process, haha.

I was looking at the locations of the schools listed on Gaijinpot and then looking at apartment rental costs in those locations, and I don't think I'll even consider Tokyo an option  :laugh:. Even with $30k in the bank, after paying for the school itself (which you have to do in full before starting, afaik), I don't think I'd have enough to live there. Kyoto and Osaka are probably out of it for me, too. I'm thinking of somewhere smaller and cheaper but still interesting, like Nagano.

Fingers crossed you're right about Korean bank statements. Finances and finance-related things always make me a bit nervous. I've already been looking into banking options in Japan that offer overseas remittance and how to go about setting that up, so I'll have once less thing to worry about.

Along those lines, I'm looking in to solutions for the phone/bank/apartment problem immigrants to Japan often face, ie You can't get a bank account without a Japanese phone number, you can't get a Japanese phone number without a Japanese address, and you can't get a Japanese apartment without a Japanese bank account, or some other such circular, self-defeating nonsense. I've been reading about workarounds, so it won't be impossible, but it will be a PITA.  :sad:

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4353 on: November 23, 2017, 10:03:06 AM »
Ran home during a break to go throw my roast in the slow cooker so it will be ready in time for my Thanksgiving party tonight. Accidentally burned my finger while searing it off. On the plus side, the seasoning is delicious.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #4354 on: November 24, 2017, 09:42:33 AM »
I saw a woman who I used to work with, for the first time in a year or so. She has had something done to her face.
I had always thought she was attractive, especially for her age (early 40s) with 3 kids.

As soon as I saw her my brain short circuted. Like I couldn't put my finger on what had happened, my brain was just flashing "error". She's done something to her eye area and lower half of her face. But it's not overt. But the ratios of her face are all skeewiff.

It's strange how that happens with some plastic surgery. Some sort of uncanny valley reaction. Lots of the females on TV here, they aren't ugly and most would class them as beautiful, but there is something offputting. They are pretty, but there is no attraction. Like my brain is saying "yip, but nope"
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4355 on: November 24, 2017, 11:11:41 AM »
I saw a woman who I used to work with, for the first time in a year or so. She has had something done to her face.
I had always thought she was attractive, especially for her age (early 40s) with 3 kids.

As soon as I saw her my brain short circuted. Like I couldn't put my finger on what had happened, my brain was just flashing "error". She's done something to her eye area and lower half of her face. But it's not overt. But the ratios of her face are all skeewiff.

It's strange how that happens with some plastic surgery. Some sort of uncanny valley reaction. Lots of the females on TV here, they aren't ugly and most would class them as beautiful, but there is something offputting. They are pretty, but there is no attraction. Like my brain is saying "yip, but nope"

I find that I catch myself admiring these ladies, not as potential mates, but as works of art. It is the artistís skill I am admiring, not the womanís beauty.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:28:05 PM by JNM »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4356 on: November 24, 2017, 11:57:46 AM »
I need to learn about amps. I know nothing about the electric side of instruments.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4357 on: November 27, 2017, 11:47:14 AM »
Picked up a wee practice amp (though I believe it will also work for accompanying acoustic guitar) and a basic effects strip. Life ain't bad

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4358 on: November 28, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
Can someone humour me and briefly explain how teaching in an elementary school works because I just can't get my head around it.  I have basic assumptions but my confusion mainly comes from reading posts like - "Elementary, teaching alone, no coteacher..."

I assume that most of the students have never encountered English before so they literally don't know anything (aside from "hello").  Is that right?  So...how in the world can you teach them anything without Korean translation?  I mean, if you're teaching alone, how do you do this?

Do elementary textbooks have Korean in them?  How do the students know what's going on without translation?

I assume you have target expressions like "How are you?" or "This is a pencil".  How can you possibly communicate the grammatical function of "how, are, this, is" etc without a Korean translation?

As a side note, I've read posts from NETs who claim they "took the student aside and explained to him exactly what he did wrong and why it was wrong" etc.  How are these elementary students understanding this??!!!!  Or (as I suspect) there's a Korean teacher translating word for word which is conveniently left out of the NET's story.

Sorry for the rambly post but it makes my head hurt thinking about this stuff.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4359 on: November 28, 2017, 08:46:06 AM »
Can someone humour me and briefly explain how teaching in an elementary school works because I just can't get my head around it.  I have basic assumptions but my confusion mainly comes from reading posts like - "Elementary, teaching alone, no coteacher..."

I assume that most of the students have never encountered English before so they literally don't know anything (aside from "hello").  Is that right?  So...how in the world can you teach them anything without Korean translation?  I mean, if you're teaching alone, how do you do this?

Do elementary textbooks have Korean in them?  How do the students know what's going on without translation?

I assume you have target expressions like "How are you?" or "This is a pencil".  How can you possibly communicate the grammatical function of "how, are, this, is" etc without a Korean translation?

As a side note, I've read posts from NETs who claim they "took the student aside and explained to him exactly what he did wrong and why it was wrong" etc.  How are these elementary students understanding this??!!!!  Or (as I suspect) there's a Korean teacher translating word for word which is conveniently left out of the NET's story.

Sorry for the rambly post but it makes my head hurt thinking about this stuff.

In all my time here, I've found native teachers in elementary to be the most pointless waste of money, especially if you're a new teacher with no Korean speaking skills.  Like you say, you need to be able to communicate with students but most have never got past from the basic 'hello' as more than that needs more explanation in Korean.  I found that you can really only teach vocabulary with pictures and games linked with it, if you are a new teacher who's unfortunately 'teaching alone'.  By middle and high, the students have character and most have realised that they need to knuckle down for studying, which makes things so much easier.  Elementary is just fun time, and you notice when they graduate to middle school, there is a shock because they actually have to do something and they have more difficult tests.  The jump is significant.

I teach third grade elementary alone and I find it frustrating.  This semester is the first time the class has studied with a native teacher, and I'm on my own.  I do a lot of TPR and drill with them and make it as active and fun as possible.  It is what it is.