December 16, 2017, 03:40:04 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 429523 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4320 on: October 30, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »
We had brownies for lunch today. They had a nice little flag sticking out of the top that said "Dokdo is ours"  :laugh:
When I was biking from Seoul to Busan over Chuseok, I saw a guy with a "Do you know Dokdo? Dokdo is Korean" bike jersey.  :laugh:

I was just gifted an English comic book called "THIS IS DOKDO."

:blank: :blank: :blank:

I don't know if it was purchased intentionally for me or if it was found laying about.

You should ask if the book is Dokdo.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4321 on: October 30, 2017, 02:58:07 PM »
Ohhhh Shiizzz. I am about to watch CO2 take on the spicy pork cutlet. I forgot all about it until now...Nice. Let me go watch you squirm in pain, lol... I will be back...  :laugh:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4322 on: October 30, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
We had brownies for lunch today. They had a nice little flag sticking out of the top that said "Dokdo is ours"  :laugh:
When I was biking from Seoul to Busan over Chuseok, I saw a guy with a "Do you know Dokdo? Dokdo is Korean" bike jersey.  :laugh:

I don't know if it was purchased intentionally for me or if it was found laying about.

Likely they have a budget line for "propaganda, expats" to keep it separate from "propaganda, students", and "propaganda, staff."

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4323 on: October 30, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »

She literally asked me, "Do you know Dokdo??" 

She's a really nice person, so I had to fight the tremendous urge to yell, "Do you know TAKESHIMA?!!"

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4324 on: October 30, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »

She literally asked me, "Do you know Dokdo??" 

She's a really nice person, so I had to fight the tremendous urge to yell, "Do you know TAKESHIMA?!!"

Or pronounce it "dog dew"

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4325 on: October 30, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »
Ohhhh Shiizzz. I am about to watch CO2 take on the spicy pork cutlet. I forgot all about it until now...Nice. Let me go watch you squirm in pain, lol... I will be back...  :laugh:

Good try CO2. Do you think that if you would have cut it up to let it cool before even starting, that you could have eaten a lot more of it? Do they start the timer at your first bite, or when they put the plate down in front of you? Also, are you free to eat or drink anything before you start eating. Once last question, I heard they give you tums or the equivalent before you start, true?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #4326 on: October 30, 2017, 03:04:11 PM »
Link for the uninitiated.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4327 on: October 30, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »
I shot you a couple of questions on the post before this page.

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4328 on: October 30, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
Link for the uninitiated.

Where is this place? I'm too lazy to actually watch it.

The spiciest thing I ever ate was 신길동 짬뽕, which apparently was an old gimmicky place that was featured on a bunch of celebrity eating shows, and apparently Psy also went there. I'm not sure if it's still around. The old location I went to closed, but I think it might've just moved.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4329 on: October 30, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »
Good try CO2. Do you think that if you would have cut it up to let it cool before even starting, that you could have eaten a lot more of it? Do they start the timer at your first bite, or when they put the plate down in front of you? Also, are you free to eat or drink anything before you start eating. Once last question, I heard they give you tums or the equivalent before you start, true?

The time starts when your food arrives. 7 mins per cutlet. That's no time at all, hahaha. I went out to Itaewon the night before (I was Tom Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut, mask on/ No one got the reference, hahaha, FIDELIO), so my stomach wasn't too pleased with me.

They give you an antacid before and they make you drink 500ml of milf prior, too. I don't drink milk............ so that prob didn't help. I can count on one hand how many times I've had a glass of milk in the last 10 years. I'm not lactose intolerant, but it does'nt help, I imagine.

Once you start eating, no more milk. Just water. Everyone else at the table couldn't even have more than a bite of it. I finished 1/3 of it. hahahaha

No small feat, albeit a failure.

BASED: It's near Sindaebang Samgeori 온누리에 독까스

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4330 on: October 30, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »

The time starts when your food arrives. 7 mins per cutlet. That's no time at all, hahaha. I went out to Itaewon the night before (I was Tom Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut, mask on/ No one got the reference, hahaha, FIDELIO), so my stomach wasn't too pleased with me.

They give you an antacid before and they make you drink 500ml of milf prior, too. I don't drink milk............ so that prob didn't help. I can count on one hand how many times I've had a glass of milk in the last 10 years. I'm not lactose intolerant, but it does'nt help, I imagine.

Once you start eating, no more milk. Just water. Everyone else at the table couldn't even have more than a bite of it. I finished 1/3 of it. hahahaha

No small feat, albeit a failure.

BASED: It's near Sindaebang Samgeori 온누리에 독까스

Is... is there anywhere in Seoul more unpleasant than Sindaebang? I don't think there is.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4331 on: October 30, 2017, 03:22:43 PM »

They give you an antacid before and they make you drink 500ml of milf prior, too.

You've got my attention...

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4332 on: October 30, 2017, 03:26:41 PM »

They give you an antacid before and they make you drink 500ml of milf prior, too.

Man, I thought you edited mine to make a stupid joke. hahaha NOPE

It stays.

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4333 on: October 30, 2017, 03:29:44 PM »

Man, I thought you edited mine to make a stupid joke. hahaha NOPE

It stays.

*insert Fergie video here*

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4334 on: October 31, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »
Last day.  The kids at my main school surprised me with the loveliest gift-- a photo of them and another including me that was taken on a student's phone.  They wrote messages all over the backs then laminated them.  Even got a few handwritten letters.  One of the letters I received from a student at one of my travel schools had this elaborate drawing on it amidst a bunch of notes. 

:cry: :cry: :cry:

My school even asked me to stay for a bit tomorrow morning to be in the yearbook photo. 

I know I'm ready to move onto something new but they're sure not making it easy on me  :laugh: :cry: 

Offline StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4335 on: October 31, 2017, 03:00:40 PM »
The third graders were disappointed that they didn't get a Halloween themed class or candy today. I explained that it's a public school, not a hagwon, so we'd be having a normal class. Maybe it was a bit dry of me to just do a normal class, but throwing candy at students and making English class one big party just isn't my style these days.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4336 on: October 31, 2017, 04:05:44 PM »
The third graders were disappointed that they didn't get a Halloween themed class or candy today. I explained that it's a public school, not a hagwon, so we'd be having a normal class. Maybe it was a bit dry of me to just do a normal class, but throwing candy at students and making English class one big party just isn't my style these days.
    I dunno. I feel that it's not that difficult to dress up a normal class with a few Halloween tidbits, and the students really appreciate even a minimal effort.

For example, start class with a 5 minute Halloween vocabulary quiz. Then present your regular book vocabulary in a Halloween themed .ppt etc.
Holidays like this make it easy to be the super happy fun teacher... even if you're just pushing subordinating conjunctions in disguise at the poor SOBs.

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4337 on: October 31, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
    I dunno. I feel that it's not that difficult to dress up a normal class with a few Halloween tidbits, and the students really appreciate even a minimal effort.

For example, start class with a 5 minute Halloween vocabulary quiz. Then present your regular book vocabulary in a Halloween themed .ppt etc.
Holidays like this make it easy to be the super happy fun teacher... even if you're just pushing subordinating conjunctions in disguise at the poor SOBs.
I changed my desktop wallpaper to a Halloween theme today.  It was the first thing the students saw when class began.  It seemed to pique their interest and they seemed more attentive during the lesson.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #4338 on: November 01, 2017, 07:54:27 AM »
My CoT used some budget to get some masks and Halloween decorations. The kids loved it!

I had my students (G4) make a sentence from looking at a flash card ( as usual) while leaving the class and just adding "trick or treat" and then I gave them a vitamin c.

My grade 6 students had to create their own comparative sentence and then say the same thing.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4339 on: November 01, 2017, 08:30:35 AM »
Fox News declaring war on Radiohead after they were nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

How did all this come about? It began during a televised discussion about Radiohead’s recent nomination for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Timpf described the band’s fans as “strange, malnourished and sad”, and their music as “elaborate moaning and whining over ringtone sounds”.

Slagging off Radiohead – the one area where the US is still 10 years behind Britain. After some pushback from fans, Gutfeld and Timpf revisited the topic last week, with Gutfeld referring to Radiohead as “the poor man’s Coldplay”.

That remark proves he knows the names of two British bands, and almost nothing else. On another Fox News show, Gutfeld called for Radiohead’s music to be banned from public places, and referred to them as “the poor man’s Air Supply”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/shortcuts/2017/oct/31/knives-out-why-fox-news-declared-war-on-radiohead

I liked the comments under...

A venn diagram with Radiohead fans and Fox News viewers would have an almost non-existent overlap.

A Venn diagram of "people who understand reality" and Fox News viewers would have an almost non-existent overlap.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

A Venn diagram of Fox News viewers and presenters matched with American wankers would have a 99.9999% overlap.

Don't mess with de Radiohead  :laugh: