December 17, 2017, 08:31:47 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 430149 times)

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4100 on: August 22, 2017, 03:21:05 PM »
 Right before the summer began they ripped up the running track and basketball court at one of my schools. Then they laid down brick all over it leaving it higher than the rest of the field and looked pretty bad.
I thought to myself 'Wow that seems like a really bad idea'

Few weeks later I am back and all the brick has been removed and they put in normal 'track' that you would find in most places. I wonder how much that cost..... Tax dollars at work! :rolleyes: :huh: :cry:

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4101 on: August 22, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
So, i'm primarily interested in WWHP, though I'm not opposed to giving the rest of the park a cursory gander.  Did you go during a really congested day?  I'm debating whether or not to get the express pass-- bit of an extra expense, though with a guaranteed timed entry ticket into WWHP.  I'm willing to scurry posthaste to the timed ticket machine but am not sure if I'm willing to leave entry up to chance, as it's my main reason for going to Universal Studios in the first place. 

Also for anyone who's been, how "crazy" does the HP Forbidden Journey ride get?  I'm fine with roller coasters in general but my friend isn't at all keen on coasters.  But I've heard it's not really a coaster?  I tried watching some videos but couldn't get a grasp on how turbulent the ride is.  And how much time did you spend in WWHP?

I don't know about the one in Osaka, but at Universal Studios in Florida, they have "single rider lines" which generally tend to be very short (or sometimes no line at all, since not many people go on this line, as most people want to go on the rides with their friends/family). It's a great way to expedite your wait in line without having to splurge on an express pass, as the express pass is pretty expensive, in my opinion, if it's not a big deal for you to be separated from your friend/whoever you go with, in terms of not being able to sit next to them on the ride or maybe not even be in the same car for a particular ride. I think it's worth it; my friend and I kept using the single rider line the last time we went.

The ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is not really a rollercoaster per se; it's more like a mechanical robocoaster. It's kind of hard to describe but think of a robot spider (except with more than 8 legs), and at the end of each leg is a "car" that seats 4 people per car, and the robot spider's legs just alternate in going up and down while rotating in a circular direction. Most of the visuals are displayed in front of you throughout the ride on a huge screen. I don't think it's that intense personally (but I am the type of person who really likes intense, thrilling rides such as rollercoasters and such), but if you don't care for that, maybe it's not for you. I know someone who hates rollercoasters and he hated the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride. But personally, I don't think it's anywhere near as intense as a real rollercoaster (and not that fast in comparison, either).

I didn't really time myself the two times I went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but I'd say a few hours at the very least? Maybe even longer if you decide to eat there or browse the themed shops. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:04:55 PM by Mezoti97 »

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4102 on: August 23, 2017, 07:34:07 AM »
Right before the summer began they ripped up the running track and basketball court at one of my schools. Then they laid down brick all over it leaving it higher than the rest of the field and looked pretty bad.

Few weeks later I am back and all the brick has been removed and they put in normal 'track' that you would find in most places. I wonder how much that cost..... Tax dollars at work! :rolleyes: :huh: :cry:

One of my schools did this too, was it red?

Apparently the materials used for the red tracks they have here is toxic or something so they were forced to remove it.

The lack of research/planning in schools is astounding.

My school recently bought every classroom a weird cover thing that turns the normal TV into a touch screen. Nice idea but the problem is that they make the screen quite dark. So most teachers have to turn off the new super bright lights in the classroom so the students can see it. The teachers are so annoyed.

It would've been so easy for the school to just test it in one classroom first but no, some higher up wants it and the teachers have to act grateful.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4103 on: August 23, 2017, 07:44:04 AM »
 It would've been so easy for the school to just test it in one classroom first but no, some higher up whose relatives own electronics companieswants it and the teachers have to act grateful.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4104 on: August 23, 2017, 08:06:36 AM »
Frightened a child before 9:00am.  Hahahah

An admin brought her daughter to work today and told her to go to the teachers' office to say hello to everyone.  I was the first to respond with a hearty, "Hello!" in English and the surprise on her face plus subsequent running away to her mother was pretty darn funny  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4105 on: August 23, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »
So, i'm primarily interested in WWHP, though I'm not opposed to giving the rest of the park a cursory gander.  Did you go during a really congested day?  I'm debating whether or not to get the express pass-- bit of an extra expense, though with a guaranteed timed entry ticket into WWHP.  I'm willing to scurry posthaste to the timed ticket machine but am not sure if I'm willing to leave entry up to chance, as it's my main reason for going to Universal Studios in the first place. 

Also for anyone who's been, how "crazy" does the HP Forbidden Journey ride get?  I'm fine with roller coasters in general but my friend isn't at all keen on coasters.  But I've heard it's not really a coaster?  I tried watching some videos but couldn't get a grasp on how turbulent the ride is.  And how much time did you spend in WWHP?

I don't know about the one in Osaka, but at Universal Studios in Florida, they have "single rider lines" which generally tend to be very short (or sometimes no line at all, since not many people go on this line, as most people want to go on the rides with their friends/family). It's a great way to expedite your wait in line without having to splurge on an express pass, as the express pass is pretty expensive, in my opinion, if it's not a big deal for you to be separated from your friend/whoever you go with, in terms of not being able to sit next to them on the ride or maybe not even be in the same car for a particular ride. I think it's worth it; my friend and I kept using the single rider line the last time we went.

The ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is not really a rollercoaster per se; it's more like a mechanical robocoaster. It's kind of hard to describe but think of a robot spider (except with more than 8 legs), and at the end of each leg is a "car" that seats 4 people per car, and the robot spider's legs just alternate in going up and down while rotating in a circular direction. Most of the visuals are displayed in front of you throughout the ride on a huge screen. I don't think it's that intense personally (but I am the type of person who really likes intense, thrilling rides such as rollercoasters and such), but if you don't care for that, maybe it's not for you. I know someone who hates rollercoasters and he hated the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride. But personally, I don't think it's anywhere near as intense as a real rollercoaster (and not that fast in comparison, either).

I didn't really time myself the two times I went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but I'd say a few hours at the very least? Maybe even longer if you decide to eat there or browse the themed shops.

All right, my friend has never even been on a roller coaster so I have no idea what tolerance levels might be, but I feel like a 4D ride wouldn't be too crazy... at any rate it's only a few minutes long so maybe he can give it a shot. 

I read that some rides in USJ have single rider lines but that they're not always open, so I guess there's a fifty fifty chance in that regard.  However, apparently WWHP is still so popular that on busy days at the park in Japan they have a "timed ticket entry" system and you can only go inside WWHP once.  You can stay as long as you want, but you can't go back in if you leave.  So most potter fans run to the timed ticket machine upon entrance to the park (it's free but tickets are limited.  You can select when to enter though).  I'd hate to make it to USJ and somehow not get entry into the actual WWHP  :lipsrsealed: which is why I'm really considering the express pass that includes guaranteed entry.  The additional cost feels ultimately silly for an attraction that should already be included regardless of crowds but... I do like guarantees. 

If I can control it, I'm thinking of getting entry into WWHP around lunchtime and spending the rest of the day there and going around the rest of the park in the morning. 

Thanks for your detailed response, I really appreciate it!! 

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #4106 on: August 23, 2017, 08:35:57 AM »

One of my schools did this too, was it red?

Apparently the materials used for the red tracks they have here is toxic or something so they were forced to remove it.

The lack of research/planning in schools is astounding.

My school recently bought every classroom a weird cover thing that turns the normal TV into a touch screen. Nice idea but the problem is that they make the screen quite dark. So most teachers have to turn off the new super bright lights in the classroom so the students can see it. The teachers are so annoyed.

It would've been so easy for the school to just test it in one classroom first but no, some higher up wants it and the teachers have to act grateful.

Yeah I know they had to remove it because of the materials being toxic. As you mentioned though the planning is horrific. Anyone with half a brain could have looked at the place and known that would be a horrible idea. Running on brick? great for your joints!

I wonder what they did with the 50 million bricks? Hope some principal got a new driveway.

JNM - Yeah they made the schools replace all the computers with Lucoms brand desktops/ mouse/ mousepad/ screens. Upgraded computers???? Barely :(.

I really hope they donated those comps. They were still in perfectly working conditions (coming from someone who hates slow comps).

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4107 on: August 23, 2017, 08:47:13 AM »
 It would've been so easy for the school to just test it in one classroom first but no, some higher up whose relatives own electronics companieswants it and the teachers have to act grateful.

That's sadly probably true.

I know schools can only buy electronics and materials from approved places though, to combat this type of thing. One of my old co teachers explained to me that they wanted to buy new monitors but they were so expensive.

They could have picked them up from a local mart for half the price but the pre approved companies jack up the price.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #4108 on: August 23, 2017, 08:54:47 AM »

That's sadly probably true.

I know schools can only buy electronics and materials from approved places though, to combat this type of thing. One of my old co teachers explained to me that they wanted to buy new monitors but they were so expensive.

They could have picked them up from a local mart for half the price but the pre approved companies jack up the price.

Doesn't that just mean that the "approved places" just come from higher up.... with jacked up prices as mentioned  :rolleyes:

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4109 on: August 23, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »
Doesn't that just mean that the "approved places" just come from higher up.... with jacked up prices as mentioned  :rolleyes:

Yep. Cronyism runs deep in Korea. Straight to the top as is evident from presidents past.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4110 on: August 29, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »
I'm just sitting here considering that I might actually stay in Korea for another year, this year has been good so far, but I really need the ocean, but also if I move provinces it's the whole reapply to EPIK think again, and risk landing at a crap school or with a psycho nut CT. 

What I would really like is rural on the beach with a mountain in the background.... Yeah that would be good. 

Also I had to find and open this thread and I had a fleeting moment of nostalgia for "Englishrose".
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 02:30:36 PM by What?What? »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4111 on: August 29, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »
^I'm not on directly on a beach but secluded beaches are nearby (if you have a car).  Pleasant mountain backdrop pretty much anywhere you turn.  Super rural though.  Should apply for my gig, haha, I'm headed back home.  Couldn't tell ya how COTs would be, one's leaving and the other two haven't decided what they're doing yet.  The kids are great though. 

My main principal leaves tomorrow morning.  If anyone works at his next school, you are so lucky.  Hope the new one's not a tool~

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4112 on: August 29, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »
^I'm not on directly on a beach but secluded beaches are nearby (if you have a car).  Pleasant mountain backdrop pretty much anywhere you turn.  Super rural though.  Should apply for my gig, haha, I'm headed back home.  Couldn't tell ya how COTs would be, one's leaving and the other two haven't decided what they're doing yet.  The kids are great though. 

My main principal leaves tomorrow morning.  If anyone works at his next school, you are so lucky.  Hope the new one's not a tool~

Well that sounds super perfect. I love super rural. Are you leaving now or in Feb?
-A.A. Milne

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4113 on: August 29, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
As someone who's lived in Seoul for and only Seoul for a long time, what's it like working and living in rural land? I honestly can't imagine what it would be like to be out of an urban setting.

Do you get to know all the restaurants and shops around you? Is it boring has heck? Do you need a car? What do you... do?

Are the apartments way nicer and bigger?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4114 on: August 29, 2017, 02:42:55 PM »

Well that sounds super perfect. I love super rural. Are you leaving now or in Feb?

Finish up at the end of October (I'm from one of the weird late intake periods).  I haven't heard anything about a replacement yet though.  I imagine most might not wanna hoof it on an island that's still not connected to the mainland by bridge (projected to finish late next year, I think).  The ferry ride is actually super cool and one of my favorite things, but sometimes the cancellations due to weather can be annoying.

I ended up here by chance-- in my interview I expressed interest in living in the countryside.  Some time later, my recruiter sent a mass email asking if anyone was interested in volunteering for an island school.  I myself didn't know if I wanted to be that rural so I left it up to chance and didn't volunteer but apparently nobody else did either as I got slotted in anyway lol.  Wouldn't change a thing though.  I'd stay longer if I didn't have a long distance relationship to worry about. 

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4115 on: August 29, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »
Well that is exactly what I am looking for, although I suppose there is only place for 1 teacher around your parts? I come in a pair....  I hear you on the long distance relationship though, been there too.
-A.A. Milne

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4116 on: August 29, 2017, 02:59:07 PM »
As someone who's lived in Seoul for and only Seoul for a long time, what's it like working and living in rural land? I honestly can't imagine what it would be like to be out of an urban setting.

Do you get to know all the restaurants and shops around you? Is it boring has heck? Do you need a car? What do you... do?

Haha, I probably have some similar questions about city life (never lived in a big one before).

The scenery is real nice.  It honestly does feel like I'm living in a Miyazaki film sometimes.  There's a pleasant lack of sewage smell, though the tradeoff is farmland/manure smell during certain seasons.  The air generally seems cleaner and there are usually lovely blue skies. 

Yeah, you get to know all the restaurants pretty quickly (even if you don't dine out a lot-- teacher dinners explore most of the options).  Pretty sure there's less than 10 total in my myeon (I can only think of 7 but there might be more).  All Korean and one Chinese place (owned by a Cambodian family, if I recall correctly, though the general offerings do cater toward Korean taste).  Not even a fried chicken joint nor a convenience store (though there's a bigger island two bridges away that does have those). 

I don't think it's boring, but I like the peace and quiet.  Social butterflies would probably lose their marbles though.  If I feel like socializing, I just hit up the mainland on a weekend.  Living here does make something as simple as seeing a movie in the theatre or chilling in a cafe become a treat.  Most of my hobbies aren't affected by location though. 

I don't need a car though it would make some things easier (in terms of accessing the fried chicken and pizza joint two islands away...lol.  It's too expensive to order delivery unless you order A LOT). 

Space seems to be pretty good.  But I've never lived in a closet.  I got lucky and have my own little 2 bedroom house; most housing here is houses, some are connected (kinda like duplexes but not necessarily symmetrical in layout).  Some islands do have more apartment style lodging and they're constructing a new apartment building behind my main school as we speak. 

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4117 on: August 29, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »

Haha, I probably have some similar questions about city life (never lived in a big one before).

The scenery is real nice.  It honestly does feel like I'm living in a Miyazaki film sometimes.  There's a pleasant lack of sewage smell, though the tradeoff is farmland/manure smell during certain seasons.  The air generally seems cleaner and there are usually lovely blue skies. 

Yeah, you get to know all the restaurants pretty quickly (even if you don't dine out a lot-- teacher dinners explore most of the options).  Pretty sure there's less than 10 total in my myeon (I can only think of 7 but there might be more).  All Korean and one Chinese place (owned by a Cambodian family, if I recall correctly, though the general offerings do cater toward Korean taste).  Not even a fried chicken joint nor a convenience store (though there's a bigger island two bridges away that does have those). 

I don't think it's boring, but I like the peace and quiet.  Social butterflies would probably lose their marbles though.  If I feel like socializing, I just hit up the mainland on a weekend.  Living here does make something as simple as seeing a movie in the theatre or chilling in a cafe become a treat.  Most of my hobbies aren't affected by location though. 

I don't need a car though it would make some things easier (in terms of accessing the fried chicken and pizza joint two islands away...lol.  It's too expensive to order delivery unless you order A LOT). 

Space seems to be pretty good.  But I've never lived in a closet.  I got lucky and have my own little 2 bedroom house; most housing here is houses, some are connected (kinda like duplexes but not necessarily symmetrical in layout).  Some islands do have more apartment style lodging and they're constructing a new apartment building behind my main school as we speak.

Weeeeeird. I can't imagine what I'd do without convenience stores. I think that would be a deal-breaker for me. Like, if you suddenly want a beer (or some sugar poison or something, whatever) there's really no way to just walk out your door and grab something 24/7?

Do you guys have a bank? Or like... any little mart or something?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4118 on: August 29, 2017, 03:18:19 PM »
Well that is exactly what I am looking for, although I suppose there is only place for 1 teacher around your parts? I come in a pair....  I hear you on the long distance relationship though, been there too.

Dammit, I had a post written but it disappeared into the internet ether.  I'll try to recap.  I'm the only teacher for my schools, but this past year there was a NET on a different island (Aug. intake).  If they kept to their original plan, they transferred to the mainland already.  Not sure if there's a replacement. 

A goodly number of the island teachers are married couples; they'll live in the same house but work at different schools.  If only I coulda got my bf to apply to that other school... hahah.   :P

Anywho, plenty of rural placements down in Jeollanamdo if you ever fancy applying!  There's an island called Wando that's connected to the mainland by bridge already and has a handful of NETs.  It's possible there's a couple placement somewhere in a rural area.  Yeosu is also a nice little peninsula/archipelago.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4119 on: August 29, 2017, 03:23:27 PM »

Weeeeeird. I can't imagine what I'd do without convenience stores. I think that would be a deal-breaker for me. Like, if you suddenly want a beer (or some sugar poison or something, whatever) there's really no way to just walk out your door and grab something 24/7?

Do you guys have a bank? Or like... any little mart or something?

Nope, nothing 24/7 far as I'm aware (not sure what the hours are for the lone convenience store on the other island, haven't been there often).  There is an NH bank and an adjacent NH mart.  There's also an island mart that's a little bigger.  Produce selection is pretty limited though (if you're like me and love broccoli and potatoes, anyway.  Never seen either in either mart).