December 16, 2017, 03:51:25 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 429530 times)

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3360 on: April 14, 2017, 09:56:59 AM »
Twinkies.

Canada has twinkies, right?

And Snackwells. Omg I miss Snackwells so much.

Coupang needs to up its game and start including Hostess and Little Debbie products. This is bullshit.

Why is it the only food I ever miss from home is all the junk? No one ever complains about missing veggie chips (which you can buy from the Lotte or Shinsegae department stores, btw).

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3361 on: April 14, 2017, 09:58:45 AM »
Sonce I have a visitor coming from back home, I need to make a list of demands for him to bring me... So far I have:
Persona 5
Dr. Strange Bluray
Dayquil
Easter chocolates (primarily eggies)
Half a billion boxes of Maple Cookies for my billions of coteachers...

I feel like I can't think of more stuff I need from Canada... Give me suggestions! What am I forgetting?

Nyquil, obviously.
And Kraft mac n cheese.
I don't know what "eggies" are but if they are Reese's eggs then definitely those.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3362 on: April 14, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
Sonce I have a visitor coming from back home, I need to make a list of demands for him to bring me

I have a Korean friend who is studying for a masters in England.  He came to Korea last week to see his wife and new baby.  I asked him to bring some marmite, maybe one or two.  He brought me twelve 250 gram jars.  12!!!  That is 3 kgs of Marmite.   ;D

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3363 on: April 14, 2017, 10:02:32 AM »
Sonce I have a visitor coming from back home, I need to make a list of demands for him to bring me... So far I have:
Persona 5
Dr. Strange Bluray
Dayquil

I feel like I can't think of more stuff I need from Canada... Give me suggestions! What am I forgetting?

Hawkins Cheezies.

Salt & vinegar chips!

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3364 on: April 14, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »
Persona 5
Dr. Strange Bluray
Dayquil

Nyquil, obviously.
And Kraft mac n cheese.
I don't know what "eggies" are but if they are Reese's eggs then definitely those.

Eggies are like the candy coated Hershey's chocolate eggs. They're fantastic.
Usually I ask for mac n cheese but I picked some up from costco about a week ago.

I've added pretty much everyones suggestions thusfar. Keep em coming til theres no room in his suitcase for his stuff!

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3365 on: April 14, 2017, 10:30:41 AM »
Persona 5
Dr. Strange Bluray
Dayquil

You might also want medicine like Midol or Pepto Bismol, too. Vaporub?

I have an incredibly hard time finding quality bras here that will both fit and be something I'll like (because I'm not ****** spending 60K+ won on an ugly bra)... not sure if you have the same problem or if you feel comfortable with asking a male friend to bring you a few of a favorite brand that you might be missing. Because **** the lack of options here.

An epilator, if you hate shaving and also don't want to fuss with wax?

Like, Jello products (especially pudding -- super cheap, makes for great dishes for camps and such, too). You can have some fun with your coTs and make them Jello shots using flavored soju... present them during a 회식 or something.

Ummm, what else... favorite perfume? Good foreign perfumes are hard to come by in Korea unless they're from the most popular lines (like Chanel), not all are available even by post, and many of them are expensive as all **** here. Some more than others.

Favorite scented things in general, like lotions (bath and body works, as an example). They have nice scents here, but don't have the same variety as back home. As such in my own case, nothing here really appeals to my own smelly needs.

Sorry, you're getting my own wishlist.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3366 on: April 14, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »
Persona 5
Dr. Strange Bluray
Dayquil

You might also want medicine like Midol or Pepto Bismol, too. Vaporub?

I have an incredibly hard time finding quality bras here that will both fit and be something I'll like (because I'm not ****** spending 60K+ won on an ugly bra)... not sure if you have the same problem or if you feel comfortable with asking a male friend to bring you a few of a favorite brand that you might be missing. Because **** the lack of options here.

An epilator, if you hate shaving and also don't want to fuss with wax?

Like, Jello products (especially pudding -- super cheap, makes for great dishes for camps and such, too). You can have some fun with your coTs and make them Jello shots using flavored soju... present them during a 회식 or something.

Ummm, what else... favorite perfume? Good foreign perfumes are hard to come by in Korea unless they're from the most popular lines (like Chanel), not all are available even by post, and many of them are expensive as all **** here. Some more than others.

Favorite scented things in general, like lotions (bath and body works, as an example). They have nice scents here, but don't have the same variety as back home. As such in my own case, nothing here really appeals to my own smelly needs.

Sorry, you're getting my own wishlist.

My mum brought me an inhuman amount of Midol when she came last summer. I have like 8 containers of it still. But pepto is a good one! I never think of it til I need it XD

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #3367 on: April 14, 2017, 12:33:33 PM »
Toothpaste, if there's a type of toothpaste back in your home country that you prefer to use and can't get in Korea. I would also suggest feminine hygiene products, although I don't know if that may or may not be awkward to ask your guy friend to pick up for you, depending on how close and/or comfortable you are with asking him a favor like that.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3369 on: April 14, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »
iherb, too. Kettle salt and vinegar chips on there. Which, by the way, is delicious with cream cheese.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3370 on: April 14, 2017, 01:50:05 PM »
So a few minutes ago I hear this kid screaming, right? Somewhere outside my office, and it sounds bloody, so I practically leapt out of my window to find out what's happening to this child and if there's something I can do to help.

And it's a ****** cat that's super pissed off at another cat.

How in the actual ****? First cats that poop dog-sized shits and now cats that sound like people.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3371 on: April 14, 2017, 01:53:16 PM »
So a few minutes ago I hear this kid screaming, right? Somewhere outside my office, and it sounds bloody, so I practically leapt out of my window to find out what's happening to this child and if there's something I can do to help.

How in the actual ****? First cats that poop dog-sized shits and now cats that sound like people.

=/

More like 38<

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3372 on: April 14, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »

=/

More like 38<

Kinda resembles an angry metroid:

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3373 on: April 14, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »
I have seen salt and vinegar, but they are a bit pricey. The question is, can you find BBQ pork skins?

On another note, I think the rain has brought the students' energy level way down. This morning everyone was good. After lunch they were uppity. Now that it started raining, it is like pulling teeth. Luckily I am now done for the day...

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3374 on: April 14, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »
More like 38<

Kinda resembles an angry metroid:

I was going for more of a Garfield scowl (look at it from right to left), but this works, too, and on so many levels.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3375 on: April 14, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »
Final class for the day with 4th graders. We finished off the 'Let's play soccer' lesson. They're a bright bunch and I taught them how to make their own sentences using the sentence structure. For my practice activity, a pick a student, say eg. 'Let's play computer games' they reply 'Sounds good' or 'No, thanks', then pick someone in the class to ask a question etc.

I got to this one brave, little guy , who mustered up his courage and asked the girl sitting next to him '소민, Let's shake hands', he puts his hand out to little 소민 who gives a disgusted look and says 'No, thanks.'
Poor kid looked like his whole world just crumbled... Oh well, your pimp hand obviously wasn't strong enough, kid.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3376 on: April 14, 2017, 02:36:35 PM »
Toothpaste, if there's a type of toothpaste back in your home country that you prefer to use and can't get in Korea. I would also suggest feminine hygiene products, although I don't know if that may or may not be awkward to ask your guy friend to pick up for you, depending on how close and/or comfortable you are with asking him a favor like that.

YUS! I left almost a full tube of colgate at my old school when I moved and I'm still contemplating messaging my old CT to see if it's there XD But I can get more!!!!

I'm sinf with making him bring me any girly things. He'll probably say ew cuz he's not so into girly business.... or girls for that matter... But he'll get over it :P

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3377 on: April 14, 2017, 03:02:48 PM »
Hahahahah one of the new teachers told me the last NET she knew was a weirdo who only responded "yes" or "no" to questions and left behind a bunch of nasty used condoms under the mattress when he departed.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3378 on: April 14, 2017, 03:12:11 PM »
Hahahahah one of the new teachers told me the last NET she knew was a weirdo who only responded "yes" or "no" to questions and left behind a bunch of nasty used condoms under the mattress when he departed.

Yikes.

First of all, how do used condoms get under a mattress? Second of all, who leaves them under a mattress?

Third - how do you attract a partner if you're so awkward you can't even make polite smalltalk with your coworkers.

Ugh.

Yeah she said they all gave up talking to him after a while.  Also, this was on another island that's even more remote than mine so English speakers woulda been super scarce-- not sure how he woulda gone about attracting a partner even if he did have basic social skills  :undecided:

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #3379 on: April 14, 2017, 03:33:50 PM »
Maybe the story was just a rumor then. You never can be 100% sure about second hand news from people you don't know well, especially when there's a language barrier on top of that.

...or...maybe it was left behind from a previous (Korean) tenant before the NET moved in...and he just never flipped over the mattress to check underneath?