October 23, 2018, 12:09:55 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 791155 times)

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3360 on: April 14, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »
I have seen salt and vinegar, but they are a bit pricey. The question is, can you find BBQ pork skins?

On another note, I think the rain has brought the students' energy level way down. This morning everyone was good. After lunch they were uppity. Now that it started raining, it is like pulling teeth. Luckily I am now done for the day...

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3361 on: April 14, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »
More like 38<

Kinda resembles an angry metroid:

I was going for more of a Garfield scowl (look at it from right to left), but this works, too, and on so many levels.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3362 on: April 14, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »
Final class for the day with 4th graders. We finished off the 'Let's play soccer' lesson. They're a bright bunch and I taught them how to make their own sentences using the sentence structure. For my practice activity, a pick a student, say eg. 'Let's play computer games' they reply 'Sounds good' or 'No, thanks', then pick someone in the class to ask a question etc.

I got to this one brave, little guy , who mustered up his courage and asked the girl sitting next to him '소민, Let's shake hands', he puts his hand out to little 소민 who gives a disgusted look and says 'No, thanks.'
Poor kid looked like his whole world just crumbled... Oh well, your pimp hand obviously wasn't strong enough, kid.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3363 on: April 14, 2017, 02:36:35 PM »
Toothpaste, if there's a type of toothpaste back in your home country that you prefer to use and can't get in Korea. I would also suggest feminine hygiene products, although I don't know if that may or may not be awkward to ask your guy friend to pick up for you, depending on how close and/or comfortable you are with asking him a favor like that.

YUS! I left almost a full tube of colgate at my old school when I moved and I'm still contemplating messaging my old CT to see if it's there XD But I can get more!!!!

I'm sinf with making him bring me any girly things. He'll probably say ew cuz he's not so into girly business.... or girls for that matter... But he'll get over it :P

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3364 on: April 14, 2017, 03:02:48 PM »
Hahahahah one of the new teachers told me the last NET she knew was a weirdo who only responded "yes" or "no" to questions and left behind a bunch of nasty used condoms under the mattress when he departed.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3365 on: April 14, 2017, 03:12:11 PM »
Hahahahah one of the new teachers told me the last NET she knew was a weirdo who only responded "yes" or "no" to questions and left behind a bunch of nasty used condoms under the mattress when he departed.

Yikes.

First of all, how do used condoms get under a mattress? Second of all, who leaves them under a mattress?

Third - how do you attract a partner if you're so awkward you can't even make polite smalltalk with your coworkers.

Ugh.

Yeah she said they all gave up talking to him after a while.  Also, this was on another island that's even more remote than mine so English speakers woulda been super scarce-- not sure how he woulda gone about attracting a partner even if he did have basic social skills  :undecided:

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #3366 on: April 14, 2017, 03:33:50 PM »
Maybe the story was just a rumor then. You never can be 100% sure about second hand news from people you don't know well, especially when there's a language barrier on top of that.

...or...maybe it was left behind from a previous (Korean) tenant before the NET moved in...and he just never flipped over the mattress to check underneath?

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #3367 on: April 14, 2017, 03:42:59 PM »
A filthy weird dude who remote rural island K-gals hopped in bed with?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3368 on: April 14, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »
A filthy weird dude who remote rural island K-gals hopped in bed with?

http://youtu.be/YUtHjOvPKT0

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3369 on: April 14, 2017, 03:46:23 PM »
Option #1 he found a coffee delivery service

Option #2 he filled the condoms manually

I'm going with number 2.

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3370 on: April 14, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »

Yikes.

First of all, how do used condoms get under a mattress? Second of all, who leaves them under a mattress?

Third - how do you attract a partner if you're so awkward you can't even make polite smalltalk with your coworkers.

Ugh.

Yeah she said they all gave up talking to him after a while.  Also, this was on another island that's even more remote than mine so English speakers woulda been super scarce-- not sure how he woulda gone about attracting a partner even if he did have basic social skills  :undecided:

Well how much talking are you gonna do if it's a remote island where no one else speaks English? Assuming he doesn't speak Korean... I'm not having conversations with most of my co-workers either. No one really feels like playing charades and I'm okay with that.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3371 on: April 14, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »

Yikes.

Ugh.

Well how much talking are you gonna do if it's a remote island where no one else speaks English? Assuming he doesn't speak Korean... I'm not having conversations with most of my co-workers either. No one really feels like playing charades and I'm okay with that.

The teachers asked him questions in English... this new teacher speaks English pretty decently and she's not even an English teacher.

Edit: sorry, to clarify-- i meant it would be unlikely for any of the locals/islanders to speak English. All the teachers get outsourced from the mainland typically.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:58:42 PM by yirj17 »

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #3372 on: April 14, 2017, 04:12:41 PM »
YUS! I left almost a full tube of colgate at my old school when I moved and I'm still contemplating messaging my old CT to see if it's there XD But I can get more!!!!

One of my Korean co-workers actually has a tube of Colgate toothpaste -- I see it whenever she takes her cup, toothbrush, and toothpaste to the bathroom and leaves them temporarily unattended by the sink for a moment (I guess maybe while she's in one of the stalls doing her business...). Every time I see her tube of Colgate toothpaste in the bathroom, I always wonder where she got it from...haha.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3373 on: April 14, 2017, 04:25:48 PM »
They sell Colgate both on Coupang and Gmarket. That's where I buy mine, but before I discovered that I'd pick up a few tubes in Seoul whenever I was there. Easy to find around Itaewon and the like.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #3374 on: April 14, 2017, 04:30:32 PM »
They sell Colgate both on Coupang and Gmarket. That's where I buy mine, but before I discovered that I'd pick up a few tubes in Seoul whenever I was there. Easy to find around Itaewon and the like.

I meant it more on the rhetorical side, but good to know nonetheless for future reference. I have a lot of toothpaste stocked up from whenever I visit my home country, though, so I'll be good on toothpaste for a while.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3375 on: April 14, 2017, 04:44:45 PM »
Final class for the day with 4th graders. We finished off the 'Let's play soccer' lesson. They're a bright bunch and I taught them how to make their own sentences using the sentence structure. For my practice activity, a pick a student, say eg. 'Let's play computer games' they reply 'Sounds good' or 'No, thanks', then pick someone in the class to ask a question etc.

I got to this one brave, little guy , who mustered up his courage and asked the girl sitting next to him '소민, Let's shake hands', he puts his hand out to little 소민 who gives a disgusted look and says 'No, thanks.'
Poor kid looked like his whole world just crumbled... Oh well, your pimp hand obviously wasn't strong enough, kid.

:cry: aw man, poor little dude. kids can be so mean!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:47:54 PM by Imogen1991 »

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3376 on: April 15, 2017, 05:01:44 PM »
After living in Korea for 7 1/2 years, I recently upgraded my phone to one not bought in Korea and it's the weirdest thing not hearing a noise when taking a photo.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3377 on: April 15, 2017, 07:09:08 PM »
After living in Korea for 7 1/2 years, I recently upgraded my phone to one not bought in Korea and it's the weirdest thing not hearing a noise when taking a photo.

I had an original LG Wine flip phone back in Canada that said "say cheese!" before the shutter tripped.

That was much more annoying than the click.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3378 on: April 17, 2017, 10:40:23 AM »
One of my tiny classes of 4th graders always cheers me up!  There are two boys who are just so goofy.  For some reason they like stuffing puppets up other puppets' rears:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3379 on: April 17, 2017, 10:44:49 AM »
One of my tiny classes of 4th graders always cheers me up!  There are two boys who are just so goofy.  For some reason they like stuffing puppets up other puppets' rears:

Existential Crisis (one of my fave classic youtube vids)

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free