January 19, 2018, 03:41:53 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 465697 times)

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3220 on: March 31, 2017, 08:59:56 AM »
I like the look of confusion when i hold the door open for Koreans.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3221 on: March 31, 2017, 09:19:45 AM »
I started listening to a "top hits of the 2000s" playlist on Youtube and it's fabulous.
I was flipping around on YouTube the other day, and one of the recommended videos was Teens Listen to Music from the 2000s, and one kid looked straight into the camera after being told what the subject was and said "I'm going to do so well on this! I love OLD music."  :huh: :cry: :cry:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3222 on: March 31, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »
^Well, what a whippersnapper!

So I found a guitar in the music room that appears to have elixir strings.  Sounds better and plays easier than the others  8)

I should learn some complete songs.  I have a bad habit of learning just intros and pieces and then getting distracted. 

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3223 on: March 31, 2017, 09:42:38 AM »
I did the Harvard Implicit Bias Test and it wasn't what I was expecting.  It was annoying more than anything else.

My summary of the test:

Section 1:  How quickly you can press buttons on your keyboard.

Section 2:  Please answer this question honestly:  Do you like white people more than black people?

I don't know but I expected it to be more subtle.  Very odd.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3224 on: March 31, 2017, 09:55:09 AM »
I did the Harvard Implicit Bias Test and it wasn't what I was expecting.  It was annoying more than anything else.

My summary of the test:

Section 1:  How quickly you can press buttons on your keyboard.

Section 2:  Please answer this question honestly:  Do you like white people more than black people?

I don't know but I expected it to be more subtle.  Very odd.

Yeah I felt the same way about it. A bit of a blunt instrument.

If you're just doing it for fun and self-knowledge then, fine I guess, but anybody with an agenda could easily manipulate the results however they wanted. Strange, indeed.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3225 on: March 31, 2017, 10:03:01 AM »
For some reason the men in the office seem more interested in playing matchmaker than the women. 

The secretary told me one of the female teachers wasn't getting married-- which gave me all the context I needed for the conversation that followed, wherein the PE and tech. teachers listed the male teachers from neighboring schools and whether they were single or taken.  Lol.  Her overall response was, "ehhh, I don't know."

I wish I knew more Korean to understand the finer details but what little I've gathered is pretty funny  :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3226 on: March 31, 2017, 10:13:38 AM »
It's strange, right?

When I tell the women that I'm not interested in dating anyone, they accept it.

But the men are always pointing out possibilities to me, in case I change my mind, I guess? xD

And they get kind of pissy with me when I tell them that I'm not planning on having any kids. I'm not against having kids, but I tell them that because it's funny.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3227 on: March 31, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
Oh I can't imagine how they'd react if I told them I don't intend to have kids (though I'd guess mainly confusion/disbelief).  So far only one coT has made a comment of "when you have kids..." and I didn't correct the assumption because I know it'd be a headache involving a lot of "But why???"

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3228 on: March 31, 2017, 10:35:29 AM »
Yeah, I don't know why I think it's funny to push that button, but I do. xD

I never give them the same answers, either. Probably thinking, "This crazy bitch, no wonder she's still single."

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3229 on: March 31, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »
Lol it's funny the men care so much.  It's as if they're thinking, "Don't worry!! You won't be alone!! We will find you a match!" 

I'm not sure if the female teacher is completely disinterested in dating or if she just hasn't met anyone she actually likes yet.   I was tempted to ask her if she doesn't like men and likes women instead hahah

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #3230 on: March 31, 2017, 10:48:43 AM »
I know I'm late but just want to jump on the CO2 love bandwagon today.  I'd quite like to be mates with him; I think we'd get on well.

Sorry to hear about the break up, keep your chin up  :smiley:

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3231 on: March 31, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »

So I found a guitar in the music room that appears to have elixir strings.  Sounds better and plays easier than the others  8)

I should learn some complete songs.  I have a bad habit of learning just intros and pieces and then getting distracted.

I hate elixer, the coating flakes off and they feel weird.  But yeah I would be happy to have them here.  I'm not sure if any of the guitars at my school have ever had their strings changed.

Also, I'm the same way with complete songs. I've been playing for like 15 years and only know a handful of complete songs.  I much rather jam along by myself.  It doesn't really impress people though when they ask me to play something for them.   :sad:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3232 on: March 31, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »

I hate elixer, the coating flakes off and they feel weird.  But yeah I would be happy to have them here.  I'm not sure if any of the guitars at my school have ever had their strings changed.

Also, I'm the same way with complete songs. I've been playing for like 15 years and only know a handful of complete songs.  I much rather jam along by myself.  It doesn't really impress people though when they ask me to play something for them.   :sad:

The coating does flake off after time but I like the quality for the price (compared to violin strings, guitar ones are so inexpensive!).  I use them on my guitar back home. 

At any rate, definitely better than whatever cheap strings are usually on the school guitars. 

I'd like to be able to sing and play simultaneously (not that I can sing, but it'd be fun for my solo jam sessions) but Idk if that's a skill that can be learned or if my brain just can't handle those two separate things at once. 

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3233 on: March 31, 2017, 02:26:25 PM »
It's strange, right?

When I tell the women that I'm not interested in dating anyone, they accept it.

But the men are always pointing out possibilities to me, in case I change my mind, I guess? xD

And they get kind of pissy with me when I tell them that I'm not planning on having any kids. I'm not against having kids, but I tell them that because it's funny.

I'm 40 and childless. Oddly no one has ever asked me why. Maybe they just think I am beyond child bearing age. If I did get the question though, I would probably just say i don't like kids   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3234 on: March 31, 2017, 03:07:39 PM »
It's stare-sort-of-cross-eyed-into-computer-screen-with-slight-grin o'clock.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3235 on: March 31, 2017, 03:43:40 PM »

티지어이아프

Online MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #3236 on: March 31, 2017, 03:45:32 PM »
Fire Friday!!!!!
AKA Shopping day, get all the foods!

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3237 on: March 31, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »

The coating does flake off after time but I like the quality for the price (compared to violin strings, guitar ones are so inexpensive!).  I use them on my guitar back home. 

At any rate, definitely better than whatever cheap strings are usually on the school guitars. 

I'd like to be able to sing and play simultaneously (not that I can sing, but it'd be fun for my solo jam sessions) but Idk if that's a skill that can be learned or if my brain just can't handle those two separate things at once.

Ah same here! Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have any level of coordination.  I can never get more than a few bars of singing and playing before I get horribly off beat from concentrating too much on singing or my voice is off key from concentrating too much on the playing. 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3238 on: April 03, 2017, 10:03:56 AM »
So I'm browsing through the tomato soup selection on Coupang and this is basically how I feel:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #3239 on: April 03, 2017, 02:34:57 PM »
As a useless aside, a good friend of mine on Saturday was telling me about the great civil rights leader who spent decades in prison, and never complained, remained respectful; Howie Mandel.

I'll let you figure it out.