November 19, 2018, 10:32:35 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 814867 times)

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3100 on: March 30, 2017, 10:58:01 AM »
My wife and I went to snag some lunch today. I got my usual coffee + milk. I pick up the cup and it's like half full. Take a sip and it's ice cold and tastes like milk.

Upon hearing Americano + milk the lady behind the counter took an espresso shot and then dumped a full thing of milk in with it.

We go back up and the manager just looks at us, listens to what my wife says and knows what I need instantly. He's doing this massive eye roll response as the adjumma behind him is saying she had never heard of that before. The other two college kids behind the counter + adjumma watch him make the drink like he is turning water into wine.

I was surprised as this was on the campus of a major university with a large contingent of foreign students (and I imagine exchange students). I can't be the first white guy who can't handle black coffee.
It could be that others simply order a coffee and then add milk by themselves at the condiment counter.

This depends on two things;

1. There is milk and/or cream at the condiment counter.
2. There is a condiment counter.

Both are untrue in this case.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3101 on: March 30, 2017, 11:01:27 AM »
So there's a new visiting teacher and I greeted him and he responded in kind. 

Then he kind of kept looking at me as though he expected me to say something else.  Slowly I realize that maybe he's wondering if I'm going to introduce myself.  By this time the silence has become palpable and slightly awkward (we both had smiles pasted to our faces) but then another teacher swooped in to guide him to his classroom. 

On the bright side, he seems much nicer than the last samul nori teacher who refused to even say hello (I always gave my greetings in Korean) and would literally just glare at me.

The only Korean friend I've made in Korea was one of these guys. We were made to sit awkwardly next to each other trying to make conversation.

He asks if I know what Xbox is. Friendship born.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3102 on: March 30, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »
Upon hearing Americano + milk the lady behind the counter took an espresso shot and then dumped a full thing of milk in with it.

Uh, keep it goin, keep it goin, keep it goin FULL STEAM

Too sweet to be sour, too nice to be MEAN

Another dimension, new galaxy

INTERGALACTIC PLANETARY

RIP MCA

Ah the song that introduced me to the Beastie Boys.  Hooked ever since  :azn:

Ahhh. That was worth the laugh.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #3103 on: March 30, 2017, 11:22:02 AM »
That teeth sucking noise is the loudest noise on the planet. It penetrates my music like nothing...it never..goes...away... :huh:

Online Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #3104 on: March 30, 2017, 11:23:07 AM »
The first of many deliveries arrived to my house today. I am slowly turning my second bedroom into my own personal pcbang

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3105 on: March 30, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »
I use one of those plastic spoons from Baskin Robbins to stir my drinks at school. It's been my faithful companion for over a year now and nothing has stirred my coffee to perfection the way that little piece of pink plastic has.

And now it's gone. I put it in its usual paper cup for safekeeping, but when I called upon its services once more, it was nowhere to be found.

Now I need to figure out what little weirdo flittered off with it, and to what end.

I'm uploading a picture of the dearly departed into next week's ppts. I may never gain closure over this, but my friend WILL be remembered.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:22:00 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3106 on: March 30, 2017, 12:24:44 PM »
Now I need to figure out what little weirdo flittered off with it, and to what end.

Maybe the same kid someone mentioned that's making off with nice high heeled shoes  :wink:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3107 on: March 30, 2017, 12:25:55 PM »
So I just ordered a melodica.  I need an odd little instrument to learn.  Stoked~

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3108 on: March 30, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »
So I just ordered a melodica.  I need an odd little instrument to learn.  Stoked~

Yo let's start a band. You play that, I'll play my otamatone. We'll call ourselves "Memories of Camden"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXIDN11fYyY

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3109 on: March 30, 2017, 12:52:23 PM »
You have an otamatone?!?  We need to be friends!!!  Have you seen the yappy little dog ones?!

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3110 on: March 30, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »
You have an otamatone?!?  We need to be friends!!!  Have you seen the yappy little dog ones?!

Lol yeah I got it in the summer and use it to annoy the poop out of my hamster. I bought too many dumb instruments here otherwise that melodica would be mine... I haven't seen the dog ones. I'm intrigued now and might need one to enhance my hamster annoying abilities... Jarvis has been being a terrible room mate lately and needs to be put in her place...

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3111 on: March 30, 2017, 01:11:49 PM »

Lol yeah I got it in the summer and use it to annoy the poop out of my hamster. I bought too many dumb instruments here otherwise that melodica would be mine... I haven't seen the dog ones. I'm intrigued now and might need one to enhance my hamster annoying abilities... Jarvis has been being a terrible room mate lately and needs to be put in her place...

You can certainly annoy your hamster with one of these:

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3112 on: March 30, 2017, 01:23:01 PM »

You can certainly annoy your hamster with one of these:

Ahahah that's fantastic. I need 12. Too bad I don't have room for 12 >.< or even one :'( I need to have less random stuff....

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3113 on: March 30, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »

Maybe the same kid someone mentioned that's making off with nice high heeled shoes  :wink:

Well now the spoon is back in its cup.

Someone is definitely ****** with me today. xD

Pardon me while I go wash this spoon.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3114 on: March 30, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »
Well now the spoon is back in its cup.

Someone is definitely ****** with me today. xD

Pardon me while I go wash this spoon.

My mind went immediately to

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3115 on: March 30, 2017, 01:46:05 PM »

I've been denied a dash of cold milk in my coffee several times in Korea. They tell me I have to order a latte if I want that and don't seem to see the difference between steamed milk filling the majority of the cup vs. a teaspoon of cold milk. I know it's not that common here to put milk in coffee, but it's funny how some people can't even comprehend it. It's weird how it never even crosses their mind to put something other than sugar in their bitter coffee.

This is the best part, they act like you've invented a new category of beverage.

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3116 on: March 30, 2017, 02:11:27 PM »
My wife and I went to snag some lunch today. I got my usual coffee + milk. I pick up the cup and it's like half full. Take a sip and it's ice cold and tastes like milk.

We go back up and the manager just looks at us, listens to what my wife says and knows what I need instantly. He's doing this massive eye roll response as the adjumma behind him is saying she had never heard of that before. The other two college kids behind the counter + adjumma watch him make the drink like he is turning water into wine.

I was surprised as this was on the campus of a major university with a large contingent of foreign students (and I imagine exchange students). I can't be the first white guy who can't handle black coffee.

I've been denied a dash of cold milk in my coffee several times in Korea. They tell me I have to order a latte if I want that and don't seem to see the difference between steamed milk filling the majority of the cup vs. a teaspoon of cold milk. I know it's not that common here to put milk in coffee, but it's funny how some people can't even comprehend it. It's weird how it never even crosses their mind to put something other than sugar in their bitter coffee.

A Korean friend told me to tell them that they drink it that way in Europe, even if it's a lie, because it'll get them to do it lol

I've only been to one place that straight up refused to do it. It was ofc the one right next to my school. That's just how life works...

I also get the latte thing a lot (full disclosure,  prior to your explanation I had no clue what a latte was other than that it was not the same as what I wanted).

But yeah, that was the most amusing part of the experience. The three employees watching the boss mix up a coffee with milk like it was magic was just priceless.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3117 on: March 30, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
I made a very festive "Welcome to English class!" sign and taped it outside my door. No one aside from my main coteacher noticed. I know it's dorky but still. :sad:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3118 on: March 30, 2017, 03:27:34 PM »
I know I'm late but just want to jump on the CO2 love bandwagon today.  I'd quite like to be mates with him; I think we'd get on well.

Sorry to hear about the break up, keep your chin up  :smiley:

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3119 on: March 31, 2017, 08:10:23 AM »
That teeth sucking noise is the loudest noise on the planet. It penetrates my music like nothing...it never..goes...away... :huh:

Sssssst!!! I really enjoy it actually.  That and 'nng'.  Both serve a distinct purpose in the language.  Sssst to me is like 'Oh I don't know about that' or when you have to stop to think about something for only a nanosecond before continuing your response.  And 'nng' is the best way to agree with something without going through the effort of actually saying words.  It makes me wonder what kinds of things we do in English that we never really notice as native speakers.