December 18, 2017, 05:03:29 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 431593 times)

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2960 on: March 08, 2017, 12:09:06 PM »
I hate tax season! W500,000 deducted in year end taxes and income taxes from my pay check. I thought since they took taxes from my monthly now. I wouldn't have to do this.  :cry:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2961 on: March 08, 2017, 12:15:35 PM »
I hate tax season! W500,000 deducted in year end taxes and income taxes from my pay check. I thought since they took taxes from my monthly now. I wouldn't have to do this.  :cry:

I am never going to understand how this works.  I did my tax thing on NEIS, which was super simple.  Go to the tax website, download all your papers as a PDF file, then load them up on NEIS system and it calculates it all for you.  I don't pay tax every month, but my deduction for the whole year was just 750 000 won.  That was with credit card payments of 15 000 000.  Check card of 4 000 000 won.  The medical was only 400 000 won or something.  100 000 won in donations.  That was it. 

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2962 on: March 08, 2017, 12:33:18 PM »

I am never going to understand how this works.  I did my tax thing on NEIS, which was super simple.  Go to the tax website, download all your papers as a PDF file, then load them up on NEIS system and it calculates it all for you.  I don't pay tax every month, but my deduction for the whole year was just 750 000 won.  That was with credit card payments of 15 000 000.  Check card of 4 000 000 won.  The medical was only 400 000 won or something.  100 000 won in donations.  That was it.
My admin office did my taxes, all they asked me to do was bring them a document about my check card transactions. Previously I had a ton more money taken off me, especially last year cuz they had forgotten 2 years ago so I had a massive lump sum taken from me. 500,000 is better than that but still...I thought thats why I started having them taken monthly so I wouldn't be missing a big hunk of my paycheck.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #2963 on: March 08, 2017, 12:42:03 PM »

My admin office did my taxes, all they asked me to do was bring them a document about my check card transactions. Previously I had a ton more money taken off me, especially last year cuz they had forgotten 2 years ago so I had a massive lump sum taken from me. 500,000 is better than that but still...I thought thats why I started having them taken monthly so I wouldn't be missing a big hunk of my paycheck.

Yeah it all seems very...arbitrary. My CT logs my taxes every year (how nice of her!), first couple of years I received a refund, this year I got hit owing a smal amount. This despite paying 50k per month (like previous years) and I'M SURE that I used my cards more often last year than previous years.

The amount owed was small, it's not a PITA but I am wondering how it's all calculated.

Dave Stepz did you file it all yourself? How long did it take you?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2964 on: March 08, 2017, 01:04:07 PM »
Making a PPT using images of a bunch of "flags" made from food and all it's doing is making me hungry.  Lunch today was unsatisfying.  I really hope we're not having samgyupsal (not really a fan) for teacher's dinner tonight but I have this feeling we probably will...

http://www.thisismarvelous.com/national-flags-made-from-each-countrys-traditional-foods/

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2965 on: March 08, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »

Yeah it all seems very...arbitrary. My CT logs my taxes every year (how nice of her!), first couple of years I received a refund, this year I got hit owing a smal amount. This despite paying 50k per month (like previous years) and I'M SURE that I used my cards more often last year than previous years.

The amount owed was small, it's not a PITA but I am wondering how it's all calculated.

Were these your first 2 years? Im pretty sure we don't have to start paying taxes until we have been here for 2 years, at least for Canadians anyway.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #2966 on: March 08, 2017, 01:15:17 PM »
Samgyeopsal is honestly one of the most disappointing foods, especially if it's just garden variety low quality meat. If you have decent quality meat that isn't 80% fat, it can be pretty awesome, but four out of five times it's just a basic food for basic people.

Absolutely. Moksal or Dwaej Galbi anyday. So Balgi is really good too.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2967 on: March 08, 2017, 01:16:15 PM »

Did you get a refund as it was your first few years in public school? 

All the information is from the Hometax website. 

https://www.hometax.go.kr/websquare/websquare.html?w2xPath=/ui/pp/index.xml

I'm not sure if it is all up still as the tax deadline passed.  But you log in with your digital certificate.  Then you can download all your own personal papers for various areas (medical, credit card, debit card, rent, donations, check card, traffic fee) as a PDF.  You can download them all singularly, but for NEIS they need to be in the bundle.  I'd post mine here but that'd be telling  :wink:

The reason I don't really understand how it is done, or whether I trust the admin to do it without me knowing, is the variety I've heard of from other people. 

A few years back I had a friend who paid tax each month, and he was on the same salary as me.  I didn't pay each month, just the one time in February.  But when it came to calculation time, he was stung with a 2 million bill and mine only a 1.1 million.  When an admin friend of mine at another school checked my friend's figures, they said it was correct. 

For years, before I did the NEIS myself, I paid around 1.2 mark, then a couple of years back with a rookie admin guy he told me to pay 2 million.  I said it was wrong, he came back again a day later, with a 1.5 figure.  Too high I said.  Then he came back with a 1.2 million figure, which I said was fine.  Not submitting all the papers can mean you have to pay extra which is why now I'd not want any other person to submit it for me as Korean teachers I work with also find it confusing.   :undecided:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #2968 on: March 08, 2017, 01:19:30 PM »

Were these your first 2 years? Im pretty sure we don't have to start paying taxes until we have been here for 2 years, at least for Canadians anyway.

Yeah they were my first years here, I'm Canadian but I was under the impression we were the ones NOT exempt from paying taxes?  :huh:

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2969 on: March 08, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »

Yeah they were my first years here, I'm Canadian but I was under the impression we were the ones NOT exempt from paying taxes?  :huh:
We are exempted for the first 2 years only.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #2970 on: March 08, 2017, 01:58:14 PM »

I'm Canadian so I'm pretty sure we have to pay our taxes. Even the first couple years  :sad:

http://www.korvia.com/residency-certificate/

Regardless, the refund I received was much smaller than the taxes I paid so I don't think the refund was due to any tax exemption.

The reason I don't really understand how it is done, or whether I trust the admin to do it without me knowing, is the variety I've heard of from other people. 

Exactly. I've got a couple friends on the same pay scale as I am and the tax difference is big. Like scary big. I'm willing to chalk up some of the disparity to different spending habits and poor memories, but it did throw up some warning signs for me.

Thanks for the link and info Mr Stepz! Or are you more of Dave Teacher kind of guy?  :cheesy:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2971 on: March 08, 2017, 02:01:42 PM »
Samgyeopsal is honestly one of the most disappointing foods, especially if it's just garden variety low quality meat. If you have decent quality meat that isn't 80% fat, it can be pretty awesome, but four out of five times it's just a basic food for basic people.

Absolutely. Moksal or Dwaej Galbi anyday. So Balgi is really good too.

Balgi? I don't know balgi. Honestly, I think galbi of all forms is extremely overrated. I don't get it, really.

갈매기살 is probably my favourite cut of pork. I couldn't bring myself to romanize that, though.

I think I just prefer marinated meats overall. But seriously, I'd rather have even basic bulgogi anyday. Anything else

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #2972 on: March 08, 2017, 02:03:25 PM »

I'm pretty sure we have to pay our taxes from the get-go. I know I paid something they told me were taxes my first two years here. This link seems to agree with that:

I may be blowing hot air all over the place though.

@other Canucks: do we or don't we have to pay taxes our first two years here?

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2973 on: March 08, 2017, 02:06:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure we have to pay our taxes from the get-go. I know I paid something they told me were taxes my first two years here. This link seems to agree with that:

Maybe it has changed throughout the years then.

I'm Canadian so I'm pretty sure we have to pay our taxes. Even the first couple years  :sad:

Regardless, the refund I received was much smaller than the taxes I paid so I don't think the refund was due to any tax exemption.

Exactly. I've got a couple friends on the same pay scale as I am and the tax difference is big. Like scary big. I'm willing to chalk up some of the disparity to different spending habits and poor memories, but it did throw up some warning signs for me.

Thanks for the link and info Mr Stepz! Or are you more of Dave Teacher kind of guy?  :cheesy:
My deduction was just over 500,000 this year which is not bad but I think its because I made a fuss about the amount last year and why I got a such a huge amount suddenly. Also 2 years prior they FORGOT to do my taxes so last year I ended up having to pay double!

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2974 on: March 08, 2017, 02:21:16 PM »
Canadian here. Canadians are not exempt from taxes at any point.
Okay...Well my case, I personally didn't have to pay in my first 2 years and was never penalised for it.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2975 on: March 08, 2017, 03:06:20 PM »

THANK YOU. I've heard so many people rave about it and it's just like...meat bandaids. Ugh.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #2976 on: March 08, 2017, 11:23:56 PM »
Samgyeopsal is "meh" if you aren't going to a good joint for it, and those are few and far between. I'm talking fresh quality pork, non-generic charcoal, and either getting a solid chunk of samgyeopsal (one whole piece) or really nice selected cuts. Usually you have to get out of Seoul for that.

Generic samgyeopsal is for when you're liquored up and its cold out and you're in some vinyl tent or it's summer and you're outside and the food isn't really the point.

But yeah, moksal for the win when just at a normal place.

I will say this- jokbal and makchang have grown on me. Pig feet were barely tolerable and now are some of the best. And makchange made me wretch and now is a delight if its done right (hard to find).

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2977 on: March 09, 2017, 07:18:42 AM »
Omg I want to squeeze the stuffing out of the admin at my school. She sits across from me and is generally adorable but this morning, I could tell she was using google translate to let me know that I should tell her if I need anything. I want to shower her with treats.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2978 on: March 09, 2017, 07:32:21 AM »
Omg I want to squeeze the stuffing out of the admin at my school. She sits across from me and is generally adorable but this morning, I could tell she was using google translate to let me know that I should tell her if I need anything. I want to shower her with treats.

Lol I thought this was going to go in a darker direction. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #2979 on: March 09, 2017, 07:45:49 AM »

Lol I thought this was going to go in a darker direction.

Yeah, what the hell is "squeeze the stuffing" out of someone? hahahaa