December 11, 2018, 06:37:40 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 846541 times)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2820 on: February 28, 2017, 10:31:07 AM »
someone talk to me. I am bored out of my mind. we are using the same textbooks so all my games and plans work from last year just use them with the new grades.

i am in a building by myself. I have walked around the school 5 times, met the new vice principal and one teacher, played badminton in the gym....

why am i here?

Here's a movie recommendation.

Also, everyone see Hacksaw Ridge. Great film.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2821 on: February 28, 2017, 02:32:17 PM »
because all my neighbors are my students... they know when i am home

Ah... :sad: In that case, I'm sorry.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2822 on: February 28, 2017, 02:33:52 PM »
Too lazy to look for the happy thread haha

TODAY IS MY LAST DAY !!! I'll probably stick around Korea until May but NO MORE NET LIFE !!!

Congrats! What's your plan after may?

I have to say I'd love to quit my job for a few months and just travel around but I don't wanna start at the bottom again. I feel that I've got a good couple schools so I'd be sacrificing  a good gig for what would basically just be a long vacation where I spend all my money.  :cry:

Comeplety unrelated but I think it's a crime that no one's snatched up that kakao muzi doll that someone is selling in the buy/sell section. I mean where else could you even find a thing like that in Korea??!!  :P

Grad school in the fall! :D I'll be pursuing a masters in linguistics. I'm feeling a bit rusty but I've been reading my old textbooks and trying to look at recent publications so... I hope I do okay. :laugh:

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #2823 on: March 01, 2017, 04:15:40 PM »
Grad school in the fall! :D I'll be pursuing a masters in linguistics. I'm feeling a bit rusty but I've been reading my old textbooks and trying to look at recent publications so... I hope I do okay. :laugh:
Hey, best of luck! If all goes well, I will be starting grad school this May (MA in Tesol) here in Daegu. Hopefully I can juggle this with my 3 new schools, Bball league, and a wedding!  :huh: :cry:

Oh, and of course all of my pointless Waygook posting.  :azn:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2824 on: March 02, 2017, 06:30:21 AM »
Endured a 13 hour flight filled with a near nonstop wailing baby 2 rows away.

Then got to port and en route got a text alert informing me that all ferries are canceled today. Whoops. Naught to do but try again tomorrow...

On the bright side, Westworld was on the plane's entertainment selection so I tried it out and got hooked from episode one. And I don't mind bumming around on the mainland today though Idk how my school will feel. Prob woulda been wiser to return a day sooner but one can't predict the weather months in advance.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2825 on: March 03, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
Over-planned for summer camp, now all that's left is tweaking it so that it runs as smoothly (and saves me as much trouble) as possible.

Maybe this year I can fully dedicate myself to actually trying to learn more Korean. Tired of depending mostly on context clues and random vocabulary to get me by.

I should have brought my dumbbells to class today.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2826 on: March 03, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »
Just a friendly reminder that this video exists and that it's totally appropriate for introductory classes:

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2827 on: March 03, 2017, 09:27:03 AM »
Just a friendly reminder that this video exists and that it's totally appropriate for introductory classes:

Don't forget the updated version with the same kids but grown up.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #2828 on: March 03, 2017, 10:37:21 AM »
Is it acceptable to reuse lesson plans from the previous year or will my colleagues/school start thinking I'm lazy/will recycling reflect badly on me?
Because honestly I'm teaching the exact same periods for every year group as last year and adjusting old plans and materials (improving where required) will make my year so chill....

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2829 on: March 03, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »
Is it acceptable to reuse lesson plans from the previous year or will my colleagues/school start thinking I'm lazy/will recycling reflect badly on me?
Because honestly I'm teaching the exact same periods for every year group as last year and adjusting old plans and materials (improving where required) will make my year so chill....

It is fine.  That is why staying more than a year can have its benefits.  Work like crazy the first year lesson planning and then if you are lucky, and there are no textbook changes, you can reuse with some tweeks.

That's what I'm doing! And it's great because on some lesson plans I was a bit rushed due to time constraints so now I can make improvements and refine without feeling so harried.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #2830 on: March 03, 2017, 11:32:15 AM »

It is fine.  That is why staying more than a year can have its benefits.  Work like crazy the first year lesson planning and then if you are lucky, and there are no textbook changes, you can reuse with some tweeks.

That's what I'm doing! And it's great because on some lesson plans I was a bit rushed due to time constraints so now I can make improvements and refine without feeling so harried.

Sweet. It's actually gonna be my 4th year here but after my 1st year we changed all the textbooks and last year I moved schools, thought I had all my lesson plans stored on an external harddrive, and discovered that my hard drive corrupted -_-

I'm planning on spending my excess free desk time studying Korean at least hahaha

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2831 on: March 03, 2017, 12:11:10 PM »
Right on.  I'm hoping to actually put some time toward studying Korean as well, though we'll see how well my motivation goes, hahah.

Have one new coT at a travel school I haven't met yet. All I know is that he's male, which is new in itself since my coTs up to present have all been female. Long as he's not a doucher, I'm happy. Though I do hope things don't change much and I can just do as I've done before.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2832 on: March 03, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »
Someone is clipping their nails at their desk.  :sad:

Offline stuman

• Veteran
« Reply #2833 on: March 03, 2017, 12:36:35 PM »
Starting school. Feeling lethargic. Must still be suffering from jet lag.....

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2834 on: March 03, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »
That's mad disrespectful.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2835 on: March 03, 2017, 01:00:12 PM »
That's mad disrespectful.

I hope you mean fingernails and not toenails... one is only vaguely better than the other.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2836 on: March 03, 2017, 01:17:18 PM »
I've noticed a drop in silly questions this year...no "Can you use chopsticks? or "Do you know kimchi?"

Instead they ask "Do you usually eat Korean food?" or  'Do you like spicy food?"

Is it just me?

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2837 on: March 03, 2017, 01:21:14 PM »
They never really ask me these questions, but at the beginning of the school year I'll normally get compliments on my chopstick mastery.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2838 on: March 03, 2017, 02:33:48 PM »
Attending one of the few 회식 I attend in order to keep up appearances after work. It's seafood, which I have a particularly strong hate-boner for, but whatever. Apparently my new main co-T can drink (and does) so I can quietly chug enough to forget about the sea-abortion on the plate in front of me. I've not been the youngest for a couple of years now and seemed to have earned some kudos by hanging around at the same school. All-in-all the atmosphere this year definitely trumps my previous rounds so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2839 on: March 03, 2017, 02:35:05 PM »
Someone singing upstairs has a really lovely voice I don't recall hearing before. Wonder if it's the new student. Sounds like a Disney princess