December 17, 2017, 08:20:12 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 430145 times)

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2800 on: February 13, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
Why is youtube asking me to verify my age again? If I was old enough 12 months ago how could I possibly not be now?  :lipsrsealed:

You're one of Karl Pilkington's freaks.  The one who keeps getting younger.  Or you're a hairy Chinese kid.  Not sure.  Will get back to you.

Offline teacherhannah

• Waygookin
« Reply #2801 on: February 13, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »
Speaking of bananas, I wish there was a grocery store or market anywhere near me that sold bananas by weight instead of bunch. I can't eat 9 of them before they go too ripe.  :huh:

put your extras in the freezer and reap the benefits of delicious banana bread. If you don't have an oven you can make it in a crock pot or experiment with some dodgy stovetop baking.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #2802 on: February 13, 2017, 10:30:35 AM »
Speaking of bananas, I wish there was a grocery store or market anywhere near me that sold bananas by weight instead of bunch. I can't eat 9 of them before they go too ripe.  :huh:

put your extras in the freezer and reap the benefits of delicious banana bread. If you don't have an oven you can make it in a crock pot or experiment with some dodgy stovetop baking.

Rice cooker banana bread is also a thing. I've made it. The texture is a bit different, but it works out. Lots of recipes online for alternative uses for a rice cooker.

Online DaStrongOne

• Adventurer
« Reply #2803 on: February 13, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »

Rice cooker banana bread is also a thing. I've made it. The texture is a bit different, but it works out. Lots of recipes online for alternative uses for a rice cooker.

You can make pancakes too. Bananas, eggs and some protein powder is delicious with some syrup on top.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2804 on: February 13, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »
Apparently you can also substitute eggs with bananas in many baking recipes.

I guess this could be good for the hardcore vegan or people with egg allergies. Or anyone who's just curious.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2805 on: February 13, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »

You can make pancakes too. Bananas, eggs and some protein powder is delicious with some syrup on top.
Banana pancakes do sound yummy. And I should invest in a rice cooker so I can try baking with it.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #2806 on: February 13, 2017, 01:55:47 PM »
When you're teaching the kids about a new word, or some grammar are there pictures of certain people that you'll always use? Like, for cooking or chef, I will always us a pic of Ramsay.

Anyone else or am I shouting into the wind? haha

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2807 on: February 13, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »
When you're teaching the kids about a new word, or some grammar are there pictures of certain people that you'll always use? Like, for cooking or chef, I will always us a pic of Ramsay.

'Strong', 'Muscular', 'Muscles' etc... - I always use a picture of The Rock  8)

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2808 on: February 14, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
I remember in my first year, I went for a coffee with my CT and her friend who was an English teacher in another school.  My CT's friend was describing her school's NET:

"He's been here a few years.  He's nice but he kind of just sits in the corner and doesn't talk much.  I have to actively ask him to do things, he doesn't have much enthusiasm."

I remember thinking at the time, wow why would you bother being here just to be like that.  Seems so sad.

Fast forward three years and I'm exactly like that.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry  :laugh: :cry:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2809 on: February 14, 2017, 12:45:15 PM »

'Strong', 'Muscular', 'Muscles' etc... - I always use a picture of The Rock  8)

When teaching verbs to the young 'uns, I like using different Kirby sprites.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #2810 on: February 14, 2017, 02:26:51 PM »
Kim Yuna is great for things like 'jump,' 'spin,' 'smile,' etc.

I have hundreds of pictures of her on a private folder at home. Very useful.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #2811 on: February 14, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »
Kim Yuna is great for things like 'jump,' 'spin,' 'smile,' etc.

I have hundreds of pictures of her on a private folder at home. Very useful.

I'm at the only person who doesn't find her attractive? =/

I get what you're saying, but she's certainly not unattractive.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2812 on: February 15, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »
TIL that my boyfriend has strong opinions about Korean boy bands, while I can't even tell their members apart

EXO - "they try to be edgy but their idea of edgy is not having a shirt tucked in"
BTS - "they're like try-hard clownishly misogynistic and have the most neoliberal kpop song since female president, which is saying something"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2813 on: February 15, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »
TIL that my boyfriend has strong opinions about Korean boy bands, while I can't even tell their members apart

EXO - "they try to be edgy but their idea of edgy is not having a shirt tucked in"
BTS - "they're like try-hard clownishly misogynistic and have the most neoliberal kpop song since female president, which is saying something"

Accurate opinions.

I've always viewed EXO as kind of Big Bang lite

And now after watching a couple of BTS's music videos with the English translation at the bottom... yeah, definitely try-hard clownishly misogynistic

Still don't know what the most neoliberal song since female president is tho

EDIT: nvm Bulletproof just came on lmao

EDIT 2: ... or is it No More Dream...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:56:50 AM by moonbrie »

Offline Conner42

• Adventurer
« Reply #2814 on: February 15, 2017, 02:54:56 PM »

This is coming from a guy?  :huh: The hell does he spend the rest of his time on?
Remember: KEU-RAY-EUN-POP

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2815 on: February 16, 2017, 08:31:20 AM »
Also, they're all weird.  Big Bang members were all just kind of weird dudes.

Like Radiohead?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2816 on: February 16, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »

Accurate opinions.

I've always viewed EXO as kind of Big Bang lite

And now after watching a couple of BTS's music videos with the English translation at the bottom... yeah, definitely try-hard clownishly misogynistic

Still don't know what the most neoliberal song since female president is tho

EDIT: nvm Bulletproof just came on lmao

EDIT 2: ... or is it No More Dream...

I have to disagree with any comparison of Big Bang to EXO. EXO is a dance group with completely fluff songs. They're 100% carried by their image and attractiveness to the target audience.

Big Bang, on the other hand, in recent years, had near-complete artistic control over what they were making. They didn't focus on their choreography over their music (they don't really dance in their videos or live performances, compared to other boy groups). Also, they're all weird. Like, a lot of boy groups have the stereotypical check box personalities - the cute one, the bad one, the funny one, the handsome one, etc. Big Bang members were all just kind of weird dudes.

Big Bang genuinely had a vested interest in what they were making and performing, where as I feel like EXO is just told what to do, and they do it (pretty well), but they're not really able to take credit for much, aside from being good looking and dancing really well. EXO are infinitely better dancers than Big Bang.

Maybe I worded that wrong a bit. I mean like EXO is pretending like they're cool like Big Bang but ultimately they're just a corporate boy group trying to fake authenticity lol

They are really good dancers tho

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2817 on: February 16, 2017, 08:50:56 AM »
How are the Big Bang members weird dudes.

I honestly want to hear some stories about it because all I can find on them are "fun facts" and what G-Dragon thinks of their hairstyles.

Please tell me some stories or link me to a site that can give me some dirt.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2818 on: February 16, 2017, 08:52:08 AM »
Got an email back from the school district where I'll be living that as long as I fill out all the necessary paperwork and my health/criminal checks come back clean I can start work as a substitute teacher after doing orientation

They want all of my previous employers where I "worked directly with children" to fill out a form saying I've never been under any investigation for abuse though

I don't think it'll be too much trouble to get it filled out by my school, but if they count my volunteering at the women's shelter as "employment" this might end up being a real headache

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2819 on: February 16, 2017, 08:58:25 AM »
Big Bang genuinely had a vested interest in what they were making and performing

http://www.koreaboo.com/video/g-dragon-impressive-annual-royalties-revealed-on-sbss-midnight-tv-entertainment/

SBS‘s Midnight TV Entertainment revealed that G-Dragon earns an estimated of more than 790 million won, or $710,786 U.S dollars, in royalties a year based off information taken in 2012. Given that since then, BIGBANG has released additional music, the current estimate is most likely even more.

Goddamn, that's a lot of money. Just off the publishing rights alone. G-dragon obviously has other streams of revenue (i.e. anytime he performs or shows up anywhere). The good thing about writing a song is it keeps paying you forever. Residual income.

Thinking about this makes me want to try my hand at writing K-pop songs. I'm really going to give a shot. Help me think of some lyrics guys and gals.

"A thread for pointless Friday ramblings." = big bucks for me...hopefully....

Is it possible?

People on here are often saying K-pop is second-rate...so possible to break into that market?

Throw me some song ideas.  8) :smiley: